Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott.com Room Key Pop Up

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Marriott.com Room Key Pop Up

I have made a couple of bookings on the Marriott website this morning. On both occasions, just before I clicked the "Complete Reservation" button, another IE window popped up taking me to roomkey.co.uk, displaying hotels in the same city, most of which were not Marriott.

How are Marriott allowing this to happen? Or are they? I have only noticed this from today, but I haven't actually used marriott.co.uk to make a reservation for about a month so maybe it's a new thing. If so, (a) it's annoying and (b) it makes me realise that Marriott's rates ain't so great compared to Hilton etc.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
I have got the same thing recently... pop-up blockers on..
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, HH Diamond, A-Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
http://news.marriott.com/2012/01/roo...lds-leadi.html

Chris
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
my pop up blockers are on

however it opens as a new window within the current set of tabs (not sure exactly what you call them but its not the traditional pop up)

I use IE

how do you get rid of these things
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I started noticing this in the past week or two. I agree its very annoying.

I also don't understand why Marriott allows this. Yes, I see they are part of the joint venture. But I came to the Marriott site to specifically book one of their properties. I don't need another option forced on me.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Same thing happens with booking Hilton's...up pops a co-branded room key web page
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
+1 with Safari
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:52 am
gsb

It happens to me as well. It's annoying. The reason I'm going to Marriott's web site is to stay at a Marriott property.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I have vseen this dor a few weeks. This is being launched by Marriott so its something that can bypass pop up blockers.

Some websites instead of changing pages launch a pop up page so there is a way the pop-up blocker is bypassed.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:21 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
deleted

Last edited by LRD; Nov 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:11 pm
Suspended

couldn't this be violating anti-trust regulations? six biggest suppliers in the industry getting together and basically putting a wall around themselves to keep people from considering other choices.

m
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
ughh so there is no way around it from what I'm reading

thanks MR

maybe I should book one of those other rooms, although find the rate on room key and then book it at their site (not on RK)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Allvest
couldn't this be violating anti-trust regulations? six biggest suppliers in the industry getting together and basically putting a wall around themselves to keep people from considering other choices.

m
It is the opposite of anti-trust - they are offering more options.

Seems stupid of them, though.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Allvest

m
You are not prevented from considering any other choices. I find it laughable that they think just because you're leaving their site that you must want to look at others. They aren't the first to do this, but if it gets in my way, I'll stop using their site altogether. Annoying your customers is not a good thing to do. Too bad MR does not care about customers.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
In the bigger picture of 1st world problems, for me this is just a minor annoyance & clicking on the close takes care of it.

Cheers. Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.