Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Sacramento, California [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond

Haven't seen this posted yet. Location isn't the most convenient, but a nice facility with a Scott's restaurant.

A Southern California investor is buying the 101-room Le Rivage Hotel out of receivership and plans to convert it into one of the smallest full-service inns in the Westin Hotels chain..............

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament....html?page=all
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks for the heads up bonish ^
I have been to this property many times to attend functions at Scotts. It is a VERY nice property in a very odd location for a full service hotel. Not really close to anything except the Sacramento river.

Smallconferences/weddings/parties keep this property alive. When it opened it was scheduled to fly a Marriott flag but that plan dissolved within the first year.

Glad it is going to be flying the Westin flag but I would be hard pressed to choose this property over the Sheraton downtown.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Thanks for the heads up bonish ^
I have been to this property many times to attend functions at Scotts. It is a VERY nice property in a very odd location for a full service hotel. Not really close to anything except the Sacramento river.

Smallconferences/weddings/parties keep this property alive. When it opened it was scheduled to fly a Marriott flag but that plan dissolved within the first year.

Glad it is going to be flying the Westin flag but I would be hard pressed to choose this property over the Sheraton downtown.
Well said. Odd location indeed with lots of noise from I-5. Nice river views, but I've never understood this property. Scott's can be nice, but the menu can get a little stale.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Any recent updates or stays? Some of the reviews on the hotel website are less than stellar.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
One night stay over a weekend escaping the frigid summer in San Francisco. We enjoyed the hotel and will return.

SPG Plat. Initially upgraded to King Balcony River View. Upgraded to Junior Suite on Freeway side after requesting availability. Staff were well trained and friendly. River view rooms have a good sized balcony and nice views. Our junior suite was very nice, leather sofa and sitting area, jacuzzi tub, separate rainforest shower, fridge and fireplace. View of grounds, trees and the freeway.

Property is beautiful, well maintained and rooms are spacious. Much less generic than other Westins and better for it. Freeway noise is present on one side of the hotel but did not bother us with windows closed. Neither did we have air conditioner noise issues (some trip advisor reviews mention this). We live in San Francisco so are used to background noise.

We enjoyed the pool and riding along the cycleway to old town Sacramento. The hotel just has cruisers suitable for shorter rides for rent. If you are a cyclist, bring your bike or rent from a bike shop. The hotel is on the cycle path and you can ride as far as Folsom on a beautiful paved cycle path along the Sacramento and American Rivers (35 miles one way). Return is possible with bikes via light rail to within a few miles of the hotel. Great location for cyclists.

Pet policy is sensible (no fee) and property is ideal for dogs (lots of options to walk along the river).

Location is next to the freeway, but the freeway landscaping and large trees mean the location is still picturesque. Much nicer than many suburban Westins surrounded by parking lots. It does not feel "off ramp". There is a seafood restaurant on site but no other businesses within walking distance. 10 minute drive to downtown Sacramento via freeway or surface streets. Large park and zoo nearby. If you are there on a Sunday morning in warmer months go to the farmers market under Freeway 50 - it is excellent and has some of the best farms in the region.

Self parking is a 3-4 minute walk or they shuttle you in a golf cart.

We really like the Sheraton Downtown and are treated well there but also liked the Westin Sacramento. Would probably pick Westin over Sheraton for future leisure visits although they are very different hotels and locations. Nice to have two good choices in Sacramento.

Only gripe: There is an espresso machine in their spacious lobby - use it and sell some decent coffee to your guests rather than sending them to the restaurant as their only option.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
One night stay over a weekend escaping the frigid summer in San Francisco. We enjoyed the hotel and will return.

SPG Plat. Initially upgraded to King Balcony River View. Upgraded to Junior Suite on Freeway side after requesting availability. Staff were well trained and friendly. River view rooms have a good sized balcony and nice views. Our junior suite was very nice, leather sofa and sitting area, jacuzzi tub, separate rainforest shower, fridge and fireplace. View of grounds, trees and the freeway.

Property is beautiful, well maintained and rooms are spacious. Much less generic than other Westins and better for it. Freeway noise is present on one side of the hotel but did not bother us with windows closed. Neither did we have air conditioner noise issues (some trip advisor reviews mention this). We live in San Francisco so are used to background noise.

We enjoyed the pool and riding along the cycleway to old town Sacramento. The hotel just has cruisers suitable for shorter rides for rent. If you are a cyclist, bring your bike or rent from a bike shop. The hotel is on the cycle path and you can ride as far as Folsom on a beautiful paved cycle path along the Sacramento and American Rivers (35 miles one way). Return is possible with bikes via light rail to within a few miles of the hotel. Great location for cyclists.

Pet policy is sensible (no fee) and property is ideal for dogs (lots of options to walk along the river).

Location is next to the freeway, but the freeway landscaping and large trees mean the location is still picturesque. Much nicer than many suburban Westins surrounded by parking lots. It does not feel "off ramp". There is a seafood restaurant on site but no other businesses within walking distance. 10 minute drive to downtown Sacramento via freeway or surface streets. Large park and zoo nearby. If you are there on a Sunday morning in warmer months go to the farmers market under Freeway 50 - it is excellent and has some of the best farms in the region.

Self parking is a 3-4 minute walk or they shuttle you in a golf cart.

We really like the Sheraton Downtown and are treated well there but also liked the Westin Sacramento. Would probably pick Westin over Sheraton for future leisure visits although they are very different hotels and locations. Nice to have two good choices in Sacramento.

Only gripe: There is an espresso machine in their spacious lobby - use it and sell some decent coffee to your guests rather than sending them to the restaurant as their only option.
+1. My wife and I had our first visit to the Westin Sacramento. It was also a weekend leisure trip. We discussed our impressions and then I read the above detailed report. We could have written it ourselves as we agree 100% with the assessment, though it most likely would not have been written as clearly or as thoroughly. ^
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Flying Blue Gold, Delta Cardboard, SPG Plat (lifetime), SWA A List, Hertz 5*
Never again

Decided to stay here to check it out as a option for many upcoming meetings in the next month over the Sheraton Grand SMF--which has been excellent for years for me. Put in here for the SN upgrade because have a bunch expiring 12/31/13. I can't even tell you how bad this is as an SPG property. My "suite" is just a room--346--over the kitchen with loud I-5 noise. There is not even a desk in the room!!! Thought that they made a mistake on my confirmed upgrade. Called the FD and response was "we consider your room a suite." Asked for the FD manager and told him I'm not picky but if you consider this a suite, fine, but I don't. He was confrontational and simply rude. The only person with a glimmer of hope of service was Robert the valet:-::-::-:. Called the ambassador to say unacceptable. Offered 500 extra SPG points for my trouble by FDM. I'm currently on SPG line rebooking several stays because of the horrible treatment and property. I would not stay her under any circumstances.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Flying Blue Gold, Delta Cardboard, SPG Plat (lifetime), SWA A List, Hertz 5*
And, I think this sums it up.

Just saw from my balcony the entire front end staff leave for the night with a bottle of wine (dare I say poached) and cups to the parking lot. They quickly disposed of their Westin unis and are now in the back corner of the parking lot drinking^^^
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Attempted a Saturday stay and walked after inspecting a standard room about as close to I-5 as possible. Returned to FD, "you were given the room that you paid for." With lots of availability on their website, this plat was not expecting to hear this. Agent did offer a standard river view room after I asked if something better might be available. At a claimed 70% occupancy, they lost a revenue night for jerking me around.

Yes, I would have been happy with a properly placed standard river view room at check-in. My new policy is to walk when I cannot understand why an inferior room is being given.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:31 pm

I guess nobody has stayed there recently. It is a short property, only 3 stories. Situated right between the freeway (not just any, but the I5) and the river.
2 firepits outside on the grass, a large pool area with lounge seats underneath tall bush trees (like hedges but narrow and tall like trees).

For platinum breakfast is minimal, just the "continental" which includes juice, coffee/tea, a plate of fruit and a croissant (which isn't crispy, but rather has been reheated in some way so it is soft).

Room on the riverfront has a balcony, which is nice, and two seats. Bathroom is large and has a stand-alone bathroom with 4 feet (shower is rainfall). Shower stall glass feels like cheap plastic though.

Not in Sacramento downtown. Best hotel in the area is still probably Hyatt in my opinion.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Per Marriott.com, this hotel does not have any availability until 8/1.

Also, I tried calling the hotel directly and nobody answered.

Does anyone know why they are not taking reservations for several months?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Its ownership group is troubled and recently filed for bankruptcy:

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/202...-to-pay-taxes/

So maybe it won't be coming back at all. For better or worse, this hotel was different -- definitely more boutique-ish than most other Westins -- but I really don't have much need for a clawfoot bathtub in my room personally.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:22 pm

I don't understand why they would brand this as a Westin though. Westin hotels are usually pretty large business/conference hotels and not small boutique properties like this. Perhaps Collection would be a better place for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.