Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Dn10
What are your thoughts on the Beachfront St Regis Suite vs the Beachfront Grand Suite? Beachfront Grand looks bigger and pictures look pretty similar.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...s-resort/ryst/

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...s-resort/roys/
Well, I'm always of the view that, if you have the points or cash and aren't saving them for anything else, the bigger room and balcony is better. Also, I notice that the Grand Suite (which I assume is located near the far end of the resort) has a view of the kite-surfing area down the beach away from the resort. That could be a lot of fun if there's a lot of kite-surfing going on. I'm not sure when that is (it's the windy time of year), but I'm sure you can look it up.

If you are situated with that view, you're farther away from the dining areas and main pool than other rooms... maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk? (There's a smaller pool closer somewhere between those places and the end of the resort: it never seemed busy at all.) Personally, I consider that a feature rather than a bug, but some folks feel differently. And you can get a buggy to pick you up if you wish, but obviously there might be times when you'd have to wait for it. Only other consideration there is whether you'd be at the resort during an rainy time of year. When do you plan to go?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well, I'm always of the view that, if you have the points or cash and aren't saving them for anything else, the bigger room and balcony is better. Also, I notice that the Grand Suite (which I assume is located near the far end of the resort) has a view of the kite-surfing area down the beach away from the resort. That could be a lot of fun if there's a lot of kite-surfing going on. I'm not sure when that is (it's the windy time of year), but I'm sure you can look it up.

If you are situated with that view, you're farther away from the dining areas and main pool than other rooms... maybe a 10 or 15 minute walk? (There's a smaller pool closer somewhere between those places and the end of the resort: it never seemed busy at all.) Personally, I consider that a feature rather than a bug, but some folks feel differently. And you can get a buggy to pick you up if you wish, but obviously there might be times when you'd have to wait for it. Only other consideration there is whether you'd be at the resort during an rainy time of year. When do you plan to go?
thanks. A quieter area wouldn’t be bad. Planning to visit next month.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:11 am

At the hotel currently and it has been top notch. Definitely one of the more underrated properties in the portfolio and the hotel staff is top notch. Was greeted by the GM, AGM, F&B Manager, and after a day, it seems like much of the hotel staff knows my name and preferences. Lots of free water sports each day and food is pretty great.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Check out Wapalapam off-site. It was recommended to me here and my husband and I loved it so much, we went twice in a week!
Old May 29, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Sallycat
Check out Wapalapam off-site. It was recommended to me here and my husband and I loved it so much, we went twice in a week!
+1

We really liked it. Great food. Pleasant, enjoyable atmosphere. Friendly service. And half the price (or even less) of the St. R's restaurants. Plus, no dress code.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Thanks for the recommendation. Checking out now and had a great stay in the Beachfront Grand Suite (would highly recommend it for Suite Night Upgrades). The service of the F&B team was pretty great (everyone knew our name including people I never met before, lots of free wine / champagne) the management was really good and the towel man at the beach named Axel was incredible (would always have our chair towels folded when we went in the water, was quick to deliver drinks and gave us plenty of free water). Have to plan my next trip here soon!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm a bit confused. In reading reports I'm seeing a) full board; b) breakfast now included. Is b) for everyone or is that the PAG option (if one doesn't do full board). Any clarification appreciated so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm a bit confused. In reading reports I'm seeing a) full board; b) breakfast now included. Is b) for everyone or is that the PAG option (if one doesn't do full board). Any clarification appreciated so I can update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.
I had full breakfast for the whole family included on a points stay - I’m only a Gold member, so I’m pretty sure it’s included for everyone.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:42 am

I'm platinum (ambassador) and we had a free breakfast buffet for everyone each night, although upon check-in I selected that as my welcome amenity vs the 1000 points or a bottle of wine. Although I didn't see anybody at the buffet getting checks to sign.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Marriott PP, HH G, GC Jade
I’ll spend 8 nights in early august on vacation (followed by 8 nights in 2 other properties: Oberoi and Constance Prince Maurice).

I’m Titanium and I’ve booked through an agent a Marriott Luxury Privileges rate for a “base” Junior Suite. For what kind of upgrade I can aim/ask for? Suggestion on room location (or even room number)?

With my rate I’ve included daily dinner in Le Manoir Dining Room, Floating Market and The Boathouse Bar & Grill (or 25% discount at Simply India and Atsuko). I would like to try them all at least once. Do Simply India and Atsuko are far superior compared to the first 3? Suggestions on the others?

Considering I’ve the breakfast included in m rate…what are the welcome amenities here (other than points)?

Thanks! :-)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by TravelerIT
I’ll spend 8 nights in early august on vacation (followed by 8 nights in 2 other properties: Oberoi and Constance Prince Maurice).

I’m Titanium and I’ve booked through an agent a Marriott Luxury Privileges rate for a “base” Junior Suite. For what kind of upgrade I can aim/ask for? Suggestion on room location (or even room number)?

With my rate I’ve included daily dinner in Le Manoir Dining Room, Floating Market and The Boathouse Bar & Grill (or 25% discount at Simply India and Atsuko). I would like to try them all at least once. Do Simply India and Atsuko are far superior compared to the first 3? Suggestions on the others?

Considering I’ve the breakfast included in m rate…what are the welcome amenities here (other than points)?

I've stayed there twice, but never eaten at Atsuko as I thought it was too expensive compared to the others. Simply India is good, but I don't see why it would be listed as a 25% discount - I recall Simply India being comparable in price to others, and maybe even a bit cheaper. Since you have 8 nights, try Le Manoir, Floating Market, Boathouse, and Simply India on resort, Wapalapam off resort, and then go back to what you liked for the remaining nights.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m Titanium and I’ve booked through an agent a Marriott Luxury Privileges rate for a “base” Junior Suite. For what kind of upgrade I can aim/ask for? Suggestion on room location (or even room number)?...

...Considering I’ve the breakfast included in m rate…what are the welcome amenities here (other than points)?

From my review above, as Platinums we got this:

We'd booked a Junior Suite, but with help from the wonderful Jotee at the Butler Service Desk and my Platinum status were upgraded to a Beachfront Junior Suite, which has a much larger balcony than the other two categories of junior suites (Island and Ocean) and is right on the beach. (Island is furthest back and Ocean not as far back. Even those two other categories have partial ocean views.) I don't think you can count on such an upgrade due to availability limitations, but we lucked out.

You should be contacted by the Butler Service Desk or someone else in advance of your visit, welcoming you to the hotel. I'd suggest writing back to them, politely requesting an upgrade to at least a Beachfront Suite, in view of your Titanium status and that you're paying for breakfast as part of your rate. Or better yet, go to the hotel's site to identify better options to request. Whether and what kind of review you'll get could of course hinge on availability and your writing ahead.

For more advice from relatively recent, detailed reviews, you might read Lore's excellent post at #219 and my own review at #222.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:23 pm

Beachfront Grand and St Regis are the top suites I think, but SNAs might be required for those. For dining options, I thought Atsuko was very good and the service was excellent. But the restaurants that are included in your package have a bit of everything so you can mix up the dishes while eating at the same places pretty easily.

Think welcome ammenity for me was breakfast, 1000 points, or a bottle of sparkling wine. Breakfast was the obvious choice as it wasn’t included in my package and the buffet was very good and had great service.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Marriott PP, HH G, GC Jade
Thank you for all your replies!
Unfortunately, I've no sna available. I hope that my status combined with the rate booked (which itself provide upgrade upon availability) help to receive an upgrade anyway!
Right now (I know…it’s 7 weeks from my trip…loooot of time) the app show as available rooms:
-ocean junior suite
-beachfront junior suite
-beachfront st. regis suite
-beachfront grand suite
All of these with at least 3 rooms available each.

So I’ll ask for an upgrade in one of the 3 beachfront room/suite categories…possibly not to close to the main area.

Finger crossed! :-)
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:45 am

Have you guys tried any of the activities suggested on marriott.com

edit: sorry i meant paid activities, excursions (catamaran etc).

Last edited by randomdude; Jul 20, 2019 at 1:49 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.