Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Having done the drive twice (coast route), the only things I'd say is that it takes a little time to get your car organized. It's not like Hertz Canopy where you arrive and are on your way in less than 60 seconds. It's more of a 15 minute affair by the time all the forms are filled out.

You shouldn't have any difficulty with after dark driving if you are cautious. I would just watch out for the small town centres that may or may not be lit (and have pedestrians crossing the roadway after dark).

I would recommend downloading Google Maps Offline for the route to your smart phone so you can be sure on the directions and the odd left/right that you have to take.

I'll leave 1 & 2 to others that have had a more recent stay.
This all sounds like good advice. Thanks very much!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:40 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Hi Lore.

Congratulations on your marriage. Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

I would probably put my efforts into proactively contacting the resort and getting a favourable room assignment to mark your special occasion. If you can get a room closer to the beach, they are arguably nicer than the ones that are in the narrow part of the "V". I can't comment on the current state of full and half board, but I will forward you by PM the Report Manager and front office manager contact information that I still have.

Best of luck.
Hi, could you send it across to me as well. I'm booked to stay there next month (special occasion).

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Has anyone stayed at the hotel recently? Would you recommend using the hotel's car service to/from the airport? We are thinking of going with their most inexpensive option (around 2730 MUR) but would like some reviews/feedback before we book. @worldtraveller73 - I am contacting the hotel to proactively get a better room, as you suggest. I wasn't sure where the "V" is in this picture of the property. Which part of the hotel do you recommend - further away from the main area with the pool, or closer? Do you remember where their better suites are?

Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:13 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Lore
Has anyone stayed at the hotel recently? Would you recommend using the hotel's car service to/from the airport? We are thinking of going with their most inexpensive option (around 2730 MUR) but would like some reviews/feedback before we book. @worldtraveller73 - I am contacting the hotel to proactively get a better room, as you suggest. I wasn't sure where the "V" is in this picture of the property. Which part of the hotel do you recommend - further away from the main area with the pool, or closer? Do you remember where their better suites are?
I can't speak for the placement of the suites - but the inside of the V is closest to the back (landside) of the resort. The better rooms are the ones closer to the water; or the buildings closest to the beach. I don't think there is a noticeable difference between close and further away from the main pool. I believe the configuration is the same between each of the pods.

I personally didn't mind self driving. Some may not be comfortable with it. If you've driven in a variety of countries, it isn't too bad. It's not as bad as driving in India but it's not like the UK, USA or South Africa either; you just have to be alert for hazards.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 pm

Driving in MRU is a lot easier than a lot of places. I think it's a lot safer to drive in MRU than South Africa.
Parking is free at the StRegis.
You want a car to explore the island if you are there for a while and need to get away for some local restaurants.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:31 am
Zol

I decided against the hotel taxi option and booked a local taxi ("Mauritius Taxi"). Its MUR 1200 each way - haven't been yet. I was offered the same by the hotel but figured its just the concierge doing the same thing and booking you a cab. At first I thought I could charge to the room but then there is a surcharge for that.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Zol
I decided against the hotel taxi option and booked a local taxi ("Mauritius Taxi"). Its MUR 1200 each way - haven't been yet. I was offered the same by the hotel but figured its just the concierge doing the same thing and booking you a cab. At first I thought I could charge to the room but then there is a surcharge for that.
Maybe a stupid question, but how does one book a local taxi ahead of time? Is it a safe choice?

We are going to be in Mauritius for 7 nights; we may want to visit a different place or two, but the rental car would be sitting idle most of the time. As a result, wouldn't it be easier to use a taxi if we did want to go into town? Or are rental cars so cheap that it's worth having them sit idle?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:38 am
Zol

Maybe a stupid question, but how does one book a local taxi ahead of time? Is it a safe choice?

We are going to be in Mauritius for 7 nights; we may want to visit a different place or two, but the rental car would be sitting idle most of the time. As a result, wouldn't it be easier to use a taxi if we did want to go into town? Or are rental cars so cheap that it's worth having them sit idle?
The taxi and one-way rental from the airport was going to cost me the same, the rental prices are not bad but same as your situation the vehicle would most likely be sitting idle and I decided against it. Easier to be picked up and dropped off.

Its a taxi company and not just a round of the mill cabby. You can book by email, I sent them a message on whatsapp and got a pdf confirmation back with names, flight time, drop off and time. So far professional service.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Zol
The taxi and one-way rental from the airport was going to cost me the same, the rental prices are not bad but same as your situation the vehicle would most likely be sitting idle and I decided against it. Easier to be picked up and dropped off.

Its a taxi company and not just a round of the mill cabby. You can book by email, I sent them a message on whatsapp and got a pdf confirmation back with names, flight time, drop off and time. So far professional service.
Would you mind sending me the contact info? Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:54 pm
Zol

Would you mind sending me the contact info? Thanks!
Mauritius Taxi: +230 5839 5223 / [email protected]
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Staying here again in the near future. Today while poking around the website for it:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...ritius-resort/

I noticed this:

Free Breakfast

Buffet breakfast, complimentary

I don't recall this before. Is this a recent change?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Zol
Mauritius Taxi: +230 5839 5223 / [email protected]
This comes in handy for me as well. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Staying here again in the near future. Today while poking around the website for it:

I noticed this:

Free Breakfast

I've been looking (and booking) using points and cash + points options, so I haven't focused much on revenue options. But I don't recall the complimentary breakfast, either. If it is in fact a new option, though, I suppose the hotel may simply be jacking up the rates so that it's not really complimentary.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad

I've been looking (and booking) using points and cash + points options, so I haven't focused much on revenue options. But I don't recall the complimentary breakfast, either. If it is in fact a new option, though, I suppose the hotel may simply be jacking up the rates so that it's not really complimentary.
It is a bit confusing as some rates show as breakfast, and some don't, but then this indicates it is a hotel feature, independent of the rate. I've got a points booking, I wonder if it would be included.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:03 pm
Zol

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer

I noticed this:

Free Breakfast

I noticed that as well during my stay and asked reception as I had chosen Breakfast for my Platinum benefit. I got a blank face and they gave me the points instead (they never posted though).
At breakfast though, they did check the list thoroughly for all guests which is something one would assume would not matter if it was indeed free.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:05 pm
Zol

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
My pleasure, I did use them twice. Very professional, punctual and economical. The STR taxi is at least 40% more expensive (double to the airport).

I have another contact as well if anybody is interested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.