Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Notes about the W Amsterdam:

- The hotel is divided between two buildings. The Bank building is reported to be quieter and less of a scene. Each building has a Platinum breakfast offering and guests can try either regardless of which building your room is in; more details about breakfast are included in this post.

- Many people have reported limited upgrade availability.
Print Wikipost

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by t3ame
Maybe I did something wrong but pre-pandemic, the breakfast at Duchess seemed to have the same spread and menu as at Mr. Porter (I.e., there would be no difference).
The (for me) significant upside was that it was usually much quieter (so much more calming that I would usually go there no matter which side I was staying on).
But I let others comment if there was indeed a difference that I was not aware of until now (I am not saying there wasn’t, I just haven’t been aware).
I just like dining in the Duchess - I’ve done it a few times but not for breakfast. I assumed it would be quieter and more refined.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:03 am

Currently staying in Marvelous Exchange Loft Suite. Used my SNA and it was cleared D-5 before arrival!

Amazing, cosy and very high tech room. I really wish they had some manuals on how to operate the room sound system etc. Concierge said that they are currently working on it as they received heaps of enquiries on how it works. There is some major hiccups on the projector screen though (controller not operating and screen not popping up), concierge and ground engineer tried to fix it, but no luck.

This room is notorious for being noisy due to its location. But, in my opinion it is not as bad as I expected, there is obviously some vibrations and musics playing in the back ground. If you are a light sleeper, I highly suggest to pick other room though.

Wet Deck is on smaller side but has an amazing view!
HadesNL and Radiation Station like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold | Marriott Bonvoy LTP
Spent a lot of time in and around the NL last 2 years. My time here is pretty much completed and recently said good bye with another very lovely upgrade to the e-wow suite (both times used SNA to upgrade to a bi-lvl suite and then further upgraded at check-in) and dinner at the Duchess. Love the free standing tub ! Shower room to die for, amazing water pressure. Bed is circular, takes some adjustment.

Radiation Station likes this.

Last edited by JCT001; Apr 10, 2023 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
FYI, I was told that breakfast at the Duchess is back open and available as a choice for Elites. It was described to me as a la carte with a small buffet vs. a larger buffet with smaller a la carte at Mr. Porter.

I think I'll do the Duchess in the morning, but the associate said I really should stay two nights to try both ;-)
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Despite being placed in the attic, I found myself really enjoying the W Amsterdam - easily the cleanest and most comfortable property I have stayed in Amsterdam so far. It was very nice to relax in a nice bed after a sleepless night on the firm mattress at the Hyatt Regency. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded to what I think is a larger Fabulous Bank - all suite types showed as "Almost Sold Out" the night before arrival, and I was told everything was fully committed when I checked in - the placement gave me a wider room - though, the windows are very short - it was really a cozy attic feel that I grew to enjoy
  • The bed was fantastic - super plush mattress, plush pillows, and plush covers - let it be known that I slept well in my attic - all the way to 9 AM
  • Shower pressure was strong, and both the rainfall and wand could be used at the same time
  • Loved the design - the writing on the shower, the saucy scene of consent on the wall - someone really figured out what a W in Amsterdam would look like
  • Given a really nice set of some tasty spiced nougat white chocolates designed like Dutch pottery as a welcome gift
  • The vibes from the staff were nice - casual and friendly
    • Check-in: "we're going to hold 100 EUR, but I know you've done this plenty of times before"
    • Checkout was handled in the back office as the desk was taken up a guest dealing with some cash transactions (after raising his voice, he tipped the three staff members helping him 50 EUR) - the associate helping me walked me out and offered a bottle of water at my preferred temperature along with some quick tips for my upcoming trip to Paris
  • Offered late checkout - no issue with 4 PM
  • Delivered some chocolates at turndown time
  • Hotel read my request and had lots of extra towels in the room (five bath towels - though, I really put that down to make sure I have at least 3)
  • Breakfast at the Duchess was good - though, I would try Mr Porter the next time as I think a more extensive buffet would be better
    • One a la carte item - the eggs royale were really delicious
    • Small pastry and deli buffet - pastries were good but not awe-inspiring
Cons:
  • You could argue the room I was given was a bit dark with the very small windows - I grew to like it, but I can see why some would not appreciate that room placement
Overall, I will definitely return.

Photos:

Eagle_traveler and ewh9 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 10:01 pm

If booking through a travel agent, Luminous (or Stars? I forget) is offering a USD 250 credit for stays of 2 days or more. Not applicable at Porter or Duchess restaurants, however. I didn't book it because I didn't think I could take advantage, but definitely worth considering.

Titanium member, upgraded to Sublime room on the bank side. Didn't get a suite and thought the room was a bit cramped. However I appreciated that the hotel had set up an extra bed for my kid, without my asking for one and free of charge.

Tried breakfast on both sides, both were good but I liked the Duchess a bit more. The a la carte dishes at the Duchess are much larger than at Porter, so take that into account when getting food from the buffet.

Note that rates here are all over the place. You should be able to find it under EUR 400 now, but when I looked a few months ago, rates for September were well over EUR 600.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:26 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Looking at staying here in a few weeks. Do they give breakfast option for welcome amenity? Is it decent? Capped a EUR limit per person, continental only with extra EUR for hot options, etc.? Just trying to decide between W and Marriott when the rates I'm getting for similar sized room are about the same. I like the Marrriot lounge and food options but also like the overall W design.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by PHL
Looking at staying here in a few weeks. Do they give breakfast option for welcome amenity? Is it decent? Capped a EUR limit per person, continental only with extra EUR for hot options, etc.? Just trying to decide between W and Marriott when the rates I'm getting for similar sized room are about the same. I like the Marrriot lounge and food options but also like the overall W design.
You get the full breakfast comped as a welcome gift. If you eat it at the Duchess, you get a hot item cooked to order plus a small, pleasant continental buffet. Tea, coffee and juice are also complimentary. This is based on my experience last month.
JCT001 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
You get the full breakfast comped as a welcome gift. If you eat it at the Duchess, you get a hot item cooked to order plus a small, pleasant continental buffet. Tea, coffee and juice are also complimentary. This is based on my experience last month.
It’s the same across the street at Mr Porter’s (albeit with different opinions)—buffet plus cooked-to-order entree. Plus you get a nice view from the top of the Exchange building. And the great thing is you can choose to have your breakfast in either restaurant regardless of which building you’re staying in.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 4:01 am
j_x

Programs: UA Silver; DL Silver
Originally Posted by claimui
If booking through a travel agent, Luminous (or Stars? I forget) is offering a USD 250 credit for stays of 2 days or more. Not applicable at Porter or Duchess restaurants, however. I didn't book it because I didn't think I could take advantage, but definitely worth considering.
Booked and just completed a stay under that 250EUR credit promo, but AmEx THC (so I would imagine equivalent in their revenue mgmt system).
Note that this is a halfway between THC and FHR in my mind because they offered complimentary breakfast as an extra amenity (only CC Gold right now).

Chose to have one breakfast in Porter (it was OK, ordered some avocado toast with eggs and they gave me a plate with a scoop of avocado and a side of eggs and told me to get the toast myself from the buffet), and one in-room dining.
Skipped the Duchess breakfast due to time on checkout.

I inquired about the credit before I arrived with the W Ambassadors or whatever they market it as, and they confirmed the same as your DP, that it could not be used at Porter nor Duchess.

However, on check-in, and confirmed in writing via chat during the stay, they said that the credit could now be used for both restaurants, and it was successfully written off at checkout. So, that may tilt the needle in your favor if you're on the fence, FWIW.

I liked the vibe of the Duchess significantly more - the Porter is almost like a cross between a nightclub/lively bar and a steakhouse, which I'm not sure how I feel about. Very lively though, and excellent drinks (taste and presentation)

Crossing between the two buildings was less annoying than I thought. Wanted a swim and had to book a reservation through the spa (says it costs money but you won't be charged).
Note that the black on black theme in the pool, which is in the bank vault, is a bit terrifying to do any actual swimming in - hard/impossible to see the wall.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by j_x

Chose to have one breakfast in Porter (it was OK, ordered some avocado toast with eggs and they gave me a plate with a scoop of avocado and a side of eggs and told me to get the toast myself from the buffet)

I
Spoiler

TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 12:14 am
j_x

Programs: UA Silver; DL Silver
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Spoiler

Sorry, should've specified to say that OK was referring to the taste, definitely not the presentation nor service!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.