Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 30, 18, 1:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: bgriff
Wiki Link
Notes about the W Amsterdam:

- The hotel is divided between two buildings. The Bank building is reported to be quieter and less of a scene. Each building has a Platinum breakfast offering and guests can try either regardless of which building your room is in; more details about breakfast are included in this post.

- Many people have reported limited upgrade availability.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 28, 21, 7:33 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dcmike View Post
Just completely a four-day stay here and had a wonderful trip. Staff bent over backwards to make sure the stay was great. We booked a Fabulous Bank room and used SNAs to get the Marvelous Bank bi-level loft. Had an amazing dinner at The Duchess as well - I would highly recommend it.

One note - the third floor in Bank seems to be undergoing renovations. We never heard any noise, but there were bed frames stacked in the stairwell, which was closed.
Hi dcmike,
We're happy when we have happy guests. We're glad staff @W Amsterdam took such great care of you. Thanks for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.
dcmike likes this.
Old Jan 29, 22, 4:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Location: AMSTERDAM = one of those attic homes with steepstaircases of death
Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
As you know i have posted my complete review of the Exchange Bi-level suite on flyertalk expert hotel reviews link: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...hy-oh-why-4072

Compared to my review, would like to hear from others how they experienced the RoomType:

Marvelous Bank, 1 Bedroom Bi-level Loft, 1 King, Bedroom is a loft

Is it spacious or a pokey hole with no ventilation?

We might do another stay now that Netherlands has lifted the lockdown but am in doubt of choosing a different roontype then before..

Last edited by HadesNL; May 17, 22 at 2:20 pm
Old Jan 30, 22, 8:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
We had the Bank Bi-Level Loft back in November - I liked the room, they're on the top level of the Bank side and there is a skylight above the bed (which can be closed remotely, but let in a good deal of light). I don't know if I would call it "spacious" - the first floor has a seating area, the mini bar, and it's own TV, as well as a half-bath. There is also a record player and some assorted vinyl records. Upstairs is the bedroom and the main bath/shower. The shower is right off the bedroom, so when you come out to dry off, you're in the bedroom. I wish it had an actual separate bathroom, that would be my biggest complaint about the room. I am trying to add a couple of photos but having some technical issues.

Finally got it to work!
HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by dcmike; Jan 30, 22 at 8:10 am Reason: Adding photos
Old Jan 30, 22, 8:44 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We had the Bank Bi-Level Loft back in November - I liked the room, they're on the top level of the Bank side and there is a skylight above the bed (which can be closed remotely, but let in a good deal of light). I don't know if I would call it "spacious" - the first floor has a seating area, the mini bar, and it's own TV, as well as a half-bath. There is also a record player and some assorted vinyl records. Upstairs is the bedroom and the main bath/shower. The shower is right off the bedroom, so when you come out to dry off, you're in the bedroom. I wish it had an actual separate bathroom, that would be my biggest complaint about the room. I am trying to add a couple of photos but having some technical issues.

Finally got it to work!
FWIW I stayed in this room last November and have more or less the exact same observations. I did like the fact that the loft of the room was on the top floor.

Edit: I would also say that it is a vastly superior experience staying on the Bank side, having stayed on both sides twice. You have easy access to the spa, gym and Duchess.
dcmike and HadesNL like this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 1:54 pm

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
dcmike Radiation Station Thank you for taking time to share your opinions and photos about the Bank bi-loft suite. Good to know about the layout as it seems it differs a lot from the Exchange bi-loft suite. We might sway to the Bank-building for our next stay to feel the different vibe, thanks again!
dcmike and Radiation Station like this.
Old Mar 5, 22, 12:51 pm

Update: 5 March 2022 restaurant Mr.Porter

With most of the covid19 restrictions lifted, we tried out the W Amsterdam Exchange building's restaurant Mr.Porter.

Reservations are done via OpenTable, we decided on an early dinner at 18.15.
My expectations confirmed, the later the evening progressed the lights became dimmer and the music louder.
Service was friendly, drinks topped up regularly but the tables are small if you want to promote shared dining.
As their website doesn't show the menuprices here are the menucards and the dishes we chose:

The dinnermenu

The dessertmenu

The dessertmenu

Ambiance, booths left hold 4/5 guests, booths right 3 guests with a thight squeeze

The bar of Mr.Porter

Our dishes ordered:

Compliments of the house: foccacia bread with piment vert

Cauliflower

The squid

Spicy tuna sashimi

Chateaubriand with foie gras

Lady mignon steak:
- it seems all steaks are served sliced out of the kitchen

Brocoli in black garlic

Asperagus with piment vert & complimentary sauces

* cloak/wardrobe service is offered at the restaurant
* valet parking is available

Valet service is offered

Last edited by HadesNL; Mar 5, 22 at 1:14 pm
Old Mar 5, 22, 12:54 pm

Sunday Brunch is back

Old Mar 5, 22, 1:03 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Wow, a great review on the restaurant, thank you.

Maybe I'm jaded but outside the steaks, the prices seem very reasonable

55 euro for parking, however...
HadesNL likes this.
Old Mar 5, 22, 1:40 pm

@DMSFCA : you're welcome, i can conclude Mr. Porter is a place to try out and it is likable provided your expectations are managed.

Fyi: Parking on the street is now €7,50 p/hour!
Old Apr 14, 22, 12:20 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Has anyone eaten here whilst not staying at the hotel and received Marriott Bonvoy points for their expenditure? And related to this, does anyone know if they charge credit cards as the W Amsterdam if you pay without putting the bill on a room tab? I want to use my Marriott Bonvoy amex if they charge as W Amsterdam rather than the Duchess. Would also be nice to earn 17.5 points per dollar on my meal.
Old Apr 14, 22, 7:33 pm

Programs: QF LTS, QF GOLD, Marriott LTG, Marriott PLAT
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
Has anyone eaten here whilst not staying at the hotel and received Marriott Bonvoy points for their expenditure? And related to this, does anyone know if they charge credit cards as the W Amsterdam if you pay without putting the bill on a room tab? I want to use my Marriott Bonvoy amex if they charge as W Amsterdam rather than the Duchess. Would also be nice to earn 17.5 points per dollar on my meal.
my understanding when I dined a few years back was no points as it is an outside company running the restaurants.
Old Apr 19, 22, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by ANstar View Post
my understanding when I dined a few years back was no points as it is an outside company running the restaurants.
I believe when we were at Duchess last October I initially asked about a room charge and was told they could not do this as it was, exactly this, a separate company running the restaurants.
Old Apr 19, 22, 4:51 am

I believe when we were at Duchess last October I initially asked about a room charge and was told they could not do this as it was, exactly this, a separate company running the restaurants.
In November 2021 and a previous stay in July 2021, I charged my Duchess bill to my W room and received points for the spend. I was not staying at the W this weekend and was told I could not earn points on my Duchess spend, due it being run by an external company.
dcmike likes this.
Old Apr 19, 22, 4:56 am

Very interesting - I am positive we didn't charge the dinner to the room. I can't remember if I was told I couldn't or asked not to.
Old Apr 19, 22, 5:19 am

Very interesting - I am positive we didn't charge the dinner to the room. I can't remember if I was told I couldn't or asked not to.
I seem to recall the points were not automatically added for food and beverage spend on my folio last time (Nov), but they were awarded when I queried this with Marriott. The stay in July credited correctly first time for all F&B spend, including the Duchess. Every little helps! Or not so little if you eat lots
dcmike and HadesNL like this.

Search this Thread