Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Notes about the W Amsterdam:

- The hotel is divided between two buildings. The Bank building is reported to be quieter and less of a scene. Each building has a Platinum breakfast offering and guests can try either regardless of which building your room is in; more details about breakfast are included in this post.

- Many people have reported limited upgrade availability.
Print Wikipost

W Amsterdam, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
any thoughts?

Still sad about the Pulitzer.
Seattlenerd likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Still sad about the Pulitzer.
Never stayed at the Pulitzer myself but have passed by it a couple year ago.
Anyways, it seems that this W and the management is something to avoid but the location apparently is good.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:09 am

I may be over generalizing
but based on my travels the W hotels often tend to try to cater more to the local young-affluent crowd.
this means parties and events targeted toward local splurgers, often at the expense of the comfort of travelers.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
This was one of my least favorite SPG stays ever. Not a fan of the hotel at all.

You can do way better in amsterdam.

Location is great.. I’ll give it that. But I’d much rather have the location of the Andaz Amsterdam, which I view as superior to the W in every way.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
This was one of my least favorite SPG stays ever. Not a fan of the hotel at all.

Location is great.. I’ll give it that. But I’d much rather have the location of the Andaz Amsterdam, which I view as superior to the W in every way.
+1, except that, while the location is convenient, I really disliked the area. I much prefer the Nine Streets, so I think that next time I am in Amsterdam, I will try the Pulitzer, even though it's no longer an SPG hotel, or the Dylan.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost
+1, except that, while the location is convenient, I really disliked the area. I much prefer the Nine Streets, so I think that next time I am in Amsterdam, I will try the Pulitzer, even though it's no longer an SPG hotel, or the Dylan.
Agreed, I don't like the location of the W at all. Yes, it is central, and in that sense it is good. However, the specific location is not at all charming like so many other parts of the city. We stayed at the Pulitzer during our honeymoon, and it was really one of the most amazing hotel stays we've ever had. What I especially like about the Pulitzer, beyond it just being a truly 5 start hotel with great service, is that it is a hotel that really helps you feel like you are in Amsterdam. The W, on the other hand, could be anywhere.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jaejaez
I may be over generalizing
but based on my travels the W hotels often tend to try to cater more to the local young-affluent crowd.
this means parties and events targeted toward local splurgers, often at the expense of the comfort of travelers.
My impressions are the same but I am totally OK with that. One of my best W stays and happy to be returning (even if I am slumming it as a Gold member). The older-affluent crowds can go find a nicer age-appropriate property should they wish

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Agreed, I don't like the location of the W at all. Yes, it is central, and in that sense it is good. However, the specific location is not at all charming like so many other parts of the city. We stayed at the Pulitzer during our honeymoon, and it was really one of the most amazing hotel stays we've ever had. What I especially like about the Pulitzer, beyond it just being a truly 5 start hotel with great service, is that it is a hotel that really helps you feel like you are in Amsterdam. The W, on the other hand, could be anywhere.
We stayed at the Pulitzer a few times before they left SPG and it is a very comfortable room, especially if you have a room overlooking the canal. Loved having breakfast each morning in the cute-sy restaurant which felt like an Amsterdam boutique hotel and the occasional of smoking weed in the little internal courtyard That said, as a W guy, it is W Amsterdam all the way for me (the rooftop pool is funky especially when outside is cold but the water is heated, or the uber lux underground pool in the Bank building, or the funky restaurants - amazing all round).
Old May 2, 2018, 11:37 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by uppereastsider

Pretty sure you are one of the only people to not have liked this hotel, based on other review in the thread. I've stayed here multiple times, and it remains one of my absolute favorite hotels in the W portfolio and in Europe in general. Fantastic management, fantastic breakfast, fantastic design, fantastic location, great upgrades, and a really hip scene.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Pretty sure you are one of the only people to not have liked this hotel, based on other review in the thread. .
Then you have not actually read the thread, or other online reviews. Reviews are solidly mixed for this property.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite
Mixed bag

I just arrived for a second stay at the W. My first stay was exceptional, at a spacious corner room with a cool vibe, hence I was keen to be back.
Unfortunately, I stayed in the opposite building this time and the property has not lived up to my expectations. The check in experience was awful, it 20 minutes despite there being only myself and another customer to check in, and personnel were not helpful. The room I got this time is small and in dire need of refurbishment: marks on the wall, cracks on the furniture and the shower plate and a shabby feeling overall. I cannot believe it is the same hotel!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:35 am
Company Representative, W Ibiza

Hi Ltraveller,

Sorry to hear that your second stay did not start exceptional or on line with the first stay. I reviewed our check-ins yesterday along with our daily logs but I am not sure you made your comments known to our staff? In short, could you email me [email protected] so we can address your room issues? Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
My 3rd stay here starts on Friday night for the weekend - Any experience with benefits booking this property via FHR? (Well, the pinky coloured baby version under the FHR properties)

This is probably my favourite W in Europe but I ended up with a pretty disappointing room last time (only SPG Gold, booked direct) the bed side lighting controls had fallen out of the wall so the fix was to wedge them back in (not working) It also appeared to be pretty low within its own category. First time I paid and received a Marvellous suite which was nice.

Last edited by Morph90; Sep 27, 2018 at 3:34 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Elite
Update experience

Originally Posted by ibuercher
Hi Ltraveller,

Sorry to hear that your second stay did not start exceptional or on line with the first stay. I reviewed our check-ins yesterday along with our daily logs but I am not sure you made your comments known to our staff? In short, could you email me [email protected] so we can address your room issues? Thanks!
I wanted to post an update after I contacted W Amsterdam following the above post.

They apologised for the state of the room, which they agreed was not in an acceptable standard, and ordered it redecorated.
They were unable to find out what went wrong during the check in.
They offered 10k Marriott points as a gesture.

I appreciate their response, and will probably give the hotel another chance as my first stay before this one was excellent. However, I find it worrying that the hotel does not keep its rooms to a decent standard proactively, and the reception staff is not trained or motivated up to the SPG standard I have experienced elsewhere. Anecdotally, following my initial post about the bad check in experience, I received the bill by email (as I had requested) and it was addressed to a different person...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by ibuercher
Hi Ltraveller,

ibuercher: welcome to FT! Glad to have you hear and answering questions. I've personally had wonderful stays at your property but had to gently push for an upgrade, and as noted in a few threads below and hearing from friends there are reports that W Amsterdam no longer upgrades if you are staying on a corporate rate... Is that true or are you so often at capacity that there is no room for upgrades?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
Igor has now left W Amsterdam, I spoke briefly with the incoming GM and also met with the director of rooms over a few minor service failures - good people. Suite upgrades aren't massively forthcoming as the hotel is running at a healthy capacity %. All in all a decent stay at a solid property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.