Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The nearby MahaNakon Cube (L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon, Vogue Lounge, the largest Dean & DeLuca in town and M Krub) was a convenient venue for guests staying at the hotel. The restaurants closed one by one - the Dean & DeLuca closed on May 31st. The whole building is now closed.

We'll have to wait to see what the new owners of MahaNakon have planned for that separate building.

There are still the small restaurants on Sathorn Soi 10 and 12 and the ones across the BTS.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by UASPG
The nearby MahaNakon Cube (L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon, Vogue Lounge, the largest Dean & DeLuca in town and M Krub) was a convenient venue for guests staying at the hotel. The restaurants closed one by one - the Dean & DeLuca closed on May 31st. The whole building is now closed.

We'll have to wait to see what the new owners of MahaNakon have planned for that separate building.

There are still the small restaurants on Sathorn Soi 10 and 12 and the ones across the BTS.
wow didn’t see that coming ... I’ve enjoyed many a coffee and salad in D&D. Looks like sold to King Power along with the observatory and residences/hotel.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EGW1
wow didn’t see that coming ... I’ve enjoyed many a coffee and salad in D&D.
D&D has been in serious financial distress for quite some time. Poorly planned overexpansion. Not a well managed company.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by Kacee
D&D has been in serious financial distress for quite some time. Poorly planned overexpansion. Not a well managed company.
yeah, I meant the cube as a whole rather than d&d specifically, but thanks for the info.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Since the convenient MahaNakon Cube, Sathorn Square, almost attached to the hotel, has added or replaced some F&B venues. This building now has:

- Bowlito, a Mexican fast food
- Farm Factory, healthy salads, wraps & juices
- Bizzy Box, prepared Asian plates
- a small Dean & DeLuca
- Starbucks
- S&P, a mediocre (IMO) bakery shop
- a large 7 Eleven
- Sushi Mori, on the 2nd floor

There is also:
- a laundry place (Kikuya)
- Polish Nail Btq, a manicure & pedicure spa
- Boots, the pharmacy (2nd floor)

Of course, there are the restaurant venues with a new small sushi restaurant and new food types at the House on Sathorn and the Kitchen Table:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...kwb-w-bangkok/
- Urbani Truffle Bar & Restaurant on the 39th floor (set menu at THB 588)
- Koi Restaurant & Lounge, also on the 39th floor (assorted tempura bowl at THB 380 & beef curry at THB 360)
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
W Bangkok = Upgrade to Marvelous Suite

W Bangkok

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

W Bangkok

106 North Sathorn Road, Silom Bangrak Bangkok, TH 10500

W Bangkok = Upgrade to Marvelous Suite (24 Photos)

W Bangkok

For a change in scenery from the traditional hotels I booked a few nights at W Bangkok.  I stayed there before and it’s a decent property, although not my favorite in the city which is why I am not a regular but I enjoy staying from time to time.  The hotel is solid in various ways and I can recommend it, that said there is clearly a premium to pay over more standard (and boring?) Marriott chain hotels especially those with a lounge with happy hour for guests Platinum or above.  The one hotel which is the most comparable is Sofitel SO and if we stack up W against SO then W wins especially because of the more generous suite upgrades.

Room

My booking was split in two, for the first part I booked the studio suite with cash in my Ambassador account, and for the second part I booked a free night redemption from my wife’s Platinum account.  We were upgraded to the Marvelous Suite for both reservations and were not required to switch rooms which was appreciated.  

The Marvelous Suite is the same size overall (84 sqm) as the room type below which is the Fantastic Suite.  The main differences are the color schemes and the fact that the Marvelous Suite has 1.5 bathrooms instead of only one for the Fantastic Suite.  In the latter, instead of a half bath there is extra empty space near the entrance which is not particularly useful although for a solo traveler it would not matter to be missing the half bath and probably not worth paying the material price difference between Fantastic and Marvelous.

A manager at W informed me that she has a friend at Marriott Surawongse nearby who told W about the upcoming birth of our baby so they prepared a nice arrangement in the room with balloons and a welcome note which was a nice touch.  The room at W ticks the box for being out of the ordinary and a sharp break from cookie-cutter hotels, for example I liked the futuristic glass walls and mirrors, although having doors that we can partially see through is a bit odd for the toilets which is why the room has a sliding curtain to close off the main bathroom.  Anyway, overall in my opinion the room is visually attractive and suitable for guests who want to book a special occasion.  

IMG_5989.jpegIMG_5990.jpegIMG_5991.jpegIMG_5992.jpegIMG_5993.jpegIMG_5994.jpegIMG_5995.jpegIMG_5996.jpegIMG_5997.jpegIMG_5998.jpeg

Dining

At the beginning of our stay hotel occupancy was fairly low and the breakfast was entirely a la carte.  The menu was fairly extensive with multiple healthy options such as smoked salmon on avocado toast, a quinoa fried rice, and a rice bowl with coconut, all of which were delicious.  

IMG_6001.jpegIMG_6002.jpegIMG_6003.jpegIMG_6005.jpegIMG_6006.jpegIMG_6007.jpeg

In the second part of our stay it was a public holiday with higher hotel occupancy so they brought back the buffet which looked quite similar to pre-covid in terms of quality and quantity which I would rate average for a hotel of this caliber – I have seen better and I have seen worse.  I had a strong preference for the a la carte menu than the buffet and I suspect the former is only a temporary thing unfortunately.

IMG_6008.jpegIMG_6009.jpegIMG_6010.jpegIMG_6011.jpegIMG_6012.jpeg

The House on Sathorn restaurant (not for breakfast) is not physically attached to W and is completely different style-wise to W – someone might not even know it’s linked to W.  It’s one of the restaurants where dining is good enough that guests can easily be interested in going for dinner without being hotel guests.  We had dinner with a fellow FTer a week before our stay at W and had a memorable feast.  

IMG_5913.jpegIMG_5914.jpegIMG_5915.jpeg

W still provides welcome drinks vouchers for guests Platinum or above; I received 1 per person as in the past.  

Wifi

Wifi worked fine but speed was so-so; it was generally under 10 Mbps.

Overall

Overall I would say some of the newer Ws I have visited are superior to W Bangkok which is a bit older but it can nonetheless be a decent option for a different kind of hotel, especially since Bangkok does not have any Design Hotel, there is also no Andaz, no Canopy by Hilton, etc.  And while W is not always the best value for the money, it beats Sofitel SO for guests who have elite status at both chains.

W Bangkok = Upgrade to Marvelous Suite

Would you like to write a review on the W Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 16, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I am just now staying here - I would add that there's currently also "Double Indulge" promotion at 3400 per night, which includes 3400 in dining credits - which I think is a great value. Internet could be faster indeed.
EuropeanPete and escape4 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction For a change in scenery from the traditional hotels I booked a few nights at W Bangkok. I stayed there before and it’s a decent property, although not my favorite in the city which is why I am not a regular but I enjoy staying from time to time. The hotel is solid in various ways and I can recommend it, that said there is clearly a premium to pay over more standard (and boring?) Marriott chain hotels especially those with a lounge with happy hour for guests Platinum or above. The one hotel which is the most comparable is Sofitel SO and if we stack up W against SO then W wins especially because of the more generous suite upgrades. Room My booking was split in two, for the first part I booked the studio suite with cash in my Ambassador account, and for the second part I booked a free night redemption from my wife’s Platinum account. We were upgraded to the Marvelous Suite for both reservations and were not required to switch rooms which was appreciated. The Marvelous Suite is the same size overall (84 sqm) as the room type below which is the Fantastic Suite. The main differences are the color schemes and the fact that the Marvelous Suite has 1.5 bathrooms instead of only one for the Fantastic Suite. In the latter, instead of a half bath there is extra empty space near the entrance which is not particularly useful although for a solo traveler it would not matter to be missing the half bath and probably not worth paying the material price difference between Fantastic and Marvelous.A manager at W informed me that she has a friend at Marriott Surawongse nearby who told W about the upcoming birth of our baby so they prepared a nice arrangement in the room with balloons and a welcome note which was a nice touch. The room at W ticks the box for being out of the ordinary and a sharp break from cookie-cutter hotels, for example I liked the futuristic glass walls and mirrors, although having doors that we can partially see through is a bit odd for the toilets which is why the room has a sliding curtain to close off the main bathroom. Anyway, overall in my opinion the room is visually attractive and suitable for guests who want to book a special occasion. Dining At the beginning of our stay hotel occupancy was fairly low and the breakfast was entirely a la carte. The menu was fairly extensive with multiple healthy options such as smoked salmon on avocado toast, a quinoa fried rice, and a rice bowl with coconut, all of which were delicious. In the second part of our stay it was a public holiday with higher hotel occupancy so they brought back the buffet which looked quite similar to pre-covid in terms of quality and quantity which I would rate average for a hotel of this caliber – I have seen better and I have seen worse. I had a strong preference for the a la carte menu than the buffet and I suspect the former is only a temporary thing unfortunately.The House on Sathorn restaurant (not for breakfast) is not physically attached to W and is completely different style-wise to W – someone might not even know it’s linked to W. It’s one of the restaurants where dining is good enough that guests can easily be interested in going for dinner without being hotel guests. We had dinner with a fellow FTer a week before our stay at W and had a memorable feast. W still provides welcome drinks vouchers for guests Platinum or above; I received 1 per person as in the past. Wifi Wifi worked fine but speed was so-so; it was generally under 10 Mbps. Overall Overall I would say some of the newer Ws I have visited are superior to W Bangkok which is a bit older but it can nonetheless be a decent option for a different kind of hotel, especially since Bangkok does not have any Design Hotel, there is also no Andaz, no Canopy by Hilton, etc. And while W is not always the best value for the money, it beats Sofitel SO for guests who have elite status at both chains.
Thanks for this review! I was going to ask if anyone had stayed there recently and just saw this update today!

I'm going there on Monday to tour for a potential long stay at the W.

What other hotels have you really liked in Bangkok? Personally I liked the JW a lot, but don't like the location. SGS is sold out of suites when I went to visit yesterday. Hyatt Regency pricing doesn't really seem competitive even with long stay rates.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sohan

What other hotels have you really liked in Bangkok? Personally I liked the JW a lot, but don't like the location. SGS is sold out of suites when I went to visit yesterday. Hyatt Regency pricing doesn't really seem competitive even with long stay rates.
Yes, Hyatt Regency rates are completely unreasonable given the current conditions. I like the hotel but they have barely moved the prices relative to pre-covid so I will not stay until the situation has normalized. Many Marriott hotels have far better deals right now especially if you will pay via Megatix, including at W. Pay 10k THB and get 17k THB voucher at W which will be great for a long stay.

Regarding which hotel would be best for you depends on what is your elite status at various hotel chains and what you value most : suite upgrades, breakfast, happy hour, lounge, service?

You are quite likely to get a Marvelous Suite upgrade at W like the one from my pictures, but breakfast buffet is not the best, not sure if that matters at all to you. If you care about a lounge then Marriott Surawongse has surpassed Athenee in my opinion. Obviously no lounge at W so it would be a knock on W if you care about a lounge.

I reviewed JWM recently (see other thread) and it can be a good choice but suite availability is spotty at the moment, similar issue as SGS as you pointed out so for suites W will be a better choice, also a handful of other Marriott options would be good for suite upgrades.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Sohan
Thanks for this review! I was going to ask if anyone had stayed there recently and just saw this update today!

W is great for long stays if the quality of the room is important to you. I did a fairly long stay broken up into two parts there earlier in February. No lounge but I rarely use the lounge while I am in hotels. There was no alcohol being served while I was there (the Woobar in the lobby was also closed) but the drink tickets could be used to order to the room. If the JW location is too much noise for you, the W is a good choice. It's easy enough to get to Sukhumvit using the BTS, even more so now that Saint Louis BTS is open. Another suggestion is the Intercontinental - it had (and still has) very good rates currently. I spent a few nights there to use up my free night certificates. There is an escalator up to the BTS/Ratchaprasong SkyWalk right outside the hotel and the location is very quiet at night. The gym there is fantastic - I would rate it better than the gym at the W. Personally that is on my list of considerations for long stays; the W gym is better than most hotels but the Intercontinental was a step above it, especially for free weights.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
even more so now that Saint Louis BTS is open. Another suggestion is the Intercontinental - it had (and still has) very good rates currently.
The new BTS station is indeed something which has gone unnoticed in this thread (unless I missed it in the posts above). W did not have a great location in the past due to lack of public transportation nearby. This has now changed.

Regarding IC I am surprised that you find rates to be good there, but you might be looking at IC from a different angle than I. Personally, when I compare with other hotel chains I don't see how IC stands out. No suite upgrades as an elite guest, unlike W (and lots of other hotels nowadays) which is generous with suites. That alone is a major point for me, that said if I know ahead of time that I will end up in a standard room (more or less) at hotel XYZ due to lack of suites, then such hotel better have other material perks which IC does not have - they denied F&B credit on an IHG Luxury Collection booking, they said spa only, and there is no lounge access only 1 hour of drinks while many other hotels have 2 hours, and some snacks on top. W has a nice promo as Fims mentioned with 3.4k THB credit and many other hotels have F&B credits too at the moment, but no such thing at IC. And the room at IC is entirely forgettable, for a non-suite I would rather be stuck in a nicer room like at Indigo or some Marriott properties (like a non-suite at W) for cheaper than IC. W gym is not my favorite either, and did not try the one at IC so that might be part of where you are coming from.

For people with elite status with a few loyalty programs, I consider W to be middle of the road, good for suites, not so good for happy hour on a long stay (only 2 drinks per stay), better for one night stay. But IC is clearly at the lower end of the spectrum for loyalty program perks and subpar value proposition from what I could tell.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 3:05 am

The new BTS station is indeed something which has gone unnoticed in this thread (unless I missed it in the posts above). W did not have a great location in the past due to lack of public transportation nearby. This has now changed.

Regarding IC I am surprised that you find rates to be good there, but you might be looking at IC from a different angle than I. Personally, when I compare with other hotel chains I don't see how IC stands out. No suite upgrades as an elite guest, unlike W (and lots of other hotels nowadays) which is generous with suites. That alone is a major point for me, that said if I know ahead of time that I will end up in a standard room (more or less) at hotel XYZ due to lack of suites, then such hotel better have other material perks which IC does not have - they denied F&B credit on an IHG Luxury Collection booking, they said spa only, and there is no lounge access only 1 hour of drinks while many other hotels have 2 hours, and some snacks on top. W has a nice promo as Fims mentioned with 3.4k THB credit and many other hotels have F&B credits too at the moment, but no such thing at IC. And the room at IC is entirely forgettable, for a non-suite I would rather be stuck in a nicer room like at Indigo or some Marriott properties (like a non-suite at W) for cheaper than IC. W gym is not my favorite either, and did not try the one at IC so that might be part of where you are coming from.

For people with elite status with a few loyalty programs, I consider W to be middle of the road, good for suites, not so good for happy hour on a long stay (only 2 drinks per stay), better for one night stay. But IC is clearly at the lower end of the spectrum for loyalty program perks and subpar value proposition from what I could tell.
Saint Louis is definitely a game changer, even though I didn't ever consider the walk through Sathorn Square building to and from Chong Nonsi much issue.

I didn't get a suite at the IC, but upgraded (but not suite) room. Yes, IHG perks really aren't worth much. As someone who doesn't drink alcohol, drink/lounge benefits are rarely utilized for me. For a longer stay though, having a good gym starts to matter a lot more to me especially if I'm in a long stay mindset and not in a vacation mindset. The difference in gyms is enough for me to consider and recommend the IC for those who do work out a lot during long stays. They have a Smith machine, enough bars available for deadlifts and free weight bench, and two cable machines. The fixed weight and cardio machines aren't as densely packed as other hotels either. I might be rare in that sense, since I can easily and often do spend over 1.5 hours in a gym each day in a hotel. For shorter vacations I'll just cheat for a week or two but with my long stay mindset the gym quality really starts to matter to me. The room also came with two pieces of daily laundry service, which the W doesn't offer.

You are right, I wouldn't choose the IC over the W typically. There is so much value right now in Bangkok, it's really hard to compare fairly, especially since the W and IC are fairly similar in price right now for standard rooms, with IC currently only about $10 a night cheaper. The price gap is normally much more significant and upgrades at the W not as common (I got studio suites sometimes before but never got marvelous suites), so if price and gym were two areas of concern for a long stay, that might sway some influence for the IC if prices were closer to typical.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
I didn't get a suite at the IC, but upgraded (but not suite) room. Yes, IHG perks really aren't worth much. As someone who doesn't drink alcohol, drink/lounge benefits are rarely utilized for me. For a longer stay though, having a good gym starts to matter a lot more to me especially if I'm in a long stay mindset and not in a vacation mindset. I can easily and often do spend over 1.5 hours in a gym each day in a hotel.

W and IC are fairly similar in price right now for standard rooms, with IC currently only about $10 a night cheaper. The price gap is normally much more significant and upgrades at the W not as common (I got studio suites sometimes before but never got marvelous suites)
I think in times of high occupancy, IC being stingy with suite upgrades becomes less of an issue because at W we would not get a suite upgrade if full anyway. But as of now, especially if we look at the cash value of suites, the $10 price difference between IC and W is quite modest and will be washed away by the suite upgrade at W and not at IC. At the moment it's hard for me to book at a hotel where I think I might not get a suite because I could book somewhere else and have 99% chance of a suite upgrade. W is a good choice now because they upgrade not only to standard suites, but premium suites as well.

Regarding the gym I am a regular user although not as long as 1.5 hour like you, too bad I did not check out the gym at IC to compare. Generally speaking I find that gyms I like the most are those which are quiet with almost nobody... perhaps not surprisingly, they tend to be at the most expensive hotels for example at Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, The Siam, or Waldorf Astoria where I was alone every time I went. W's gym was not very crowded so I liked it, but not completely alone; at some cheaper hotels the gym was more busy which was a turn off.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:02 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
The new BTS station is indeed something which has gone unnoticed in this thread (unless I missed it in the posts above). W did not have a great location in the past due to lack of public transportation nearby. This has now changed. l.
Actually, the Chong Nonsi BTS station is still the most convenient as all you need to do is walk past the House on Stahorn, into the Sathorn Square building through the back entrance (assuming it's still open) and it's all escalators up to the bridge to the BTS station. The St Louis station is a little farther and doesn't have an escalator or elevator to the station entrance. It is directly across from the Healthland, so we've used it a number of times, whereas before we'd get off at Chong Nonsi station and cut through Sathorn Square building.
Fims and escape4 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:28 pm

I think in times of high occupancy, IC being stingy with suite upgrades becomes less of an issue because at W we would not get a suite upgrade if full anyway. But as of now, especially if we look at the cash value of suites, the $10 price difference between IC and W is quite modest and will be washed away by the suite upgrade at W and not at IC. At the moment it's hard for me to book at a hotel where I think I might not get a suite because I could book somewhere else and have 99% chance of a suite upgrade. W is a good choice now because they upgrade not only to standard suites, but premium suites as well.

Regarding the gym I am a regular user although not as long as 1.5 hour like you, too bad I did not check out the gym at IC to compare. Generally speaking I find that gyms I like the most are those which are quiet with almost nobody... perhaps not surprisingly, they tend to be at the most expensive hotels for example at Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, The Siam, or Waldorf Astoria where I was alone every time I went. W's gym was not very crowded so I liked it, but not completely alone; at some cheaper hotels the gym was more busy which was a turn off.
The W gym was almost completely empty almost every morning I went for a few weeks, besides people walking through mostly to take morning selfies at the pool. The IC gym was consistently busy in the morning, but the layout and having more equipment helped. Just having multiple bench options is uncommon, but having two cable machines is something I don't see in hotel gyms at all. Enough free weight options to never feel like you have to wait for someone to finish their set, you could always get something done. It never felt crowded and the view when doing cardio was excellent since the gym is at the top of the hotel. In the evening the IC gym had more people doing cardio but the weights tended to be completely free. If I were to compare it to the W, it would feel crowded if only two people were working weights since all the weights and cable machines are both in the same corner.
escape4 and Radiation Station like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.