Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
No lounge, but I don't find the location that bad. Lots of really good restaurants in the neighborhood, a 7/11 about 25 yards from the front door, and the BTS is les than a 5 minute walk. Service has always been very good for me. That said, I have moved on from the hotel and now stay at either SGS or Park Hyatt, but I had nothing but good stays at the W.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jinrop
a 7/11 about 25 yards from the front door
That is hardly a distinguishing characteristic in Bangkok
EuropeanPete and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is hardly a distinguishing characteristic in Bangkok
555 Yes I guess they are everywhere, but I usually stay at the Park Hyatt or St Regis now and there is not such easy access to a 7/11 at those properties. When hung over being able to walk literally 10 seconds out the front door and be in a 7/11 saved my butt more than a few days in BKK
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:10 am
kkl

Originally Posted by jinrop
555 Yes I guess they are everywhere, but I usually stay at the Park Hyatt or St Regis now and there is not such easy access to a 7/11 at those properties. When hung over being able to walk literally 10 seconds out the front door and be in a 7/11 saved my butt more than a few days in BKK
There is a 7/11 at St Regis, about 50m down the street
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:26 pm

Any recent reports regarding platinum premiere treatment? Upgrades?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by tylerc
Any recent reports regarding platinum premiere treatment? Upgrades?
This hotel isn't known for being overly generous with upgrades, so if that's the main thing you're looking for I'd recommend choosing one of the other Marriott options. If you book a base category room you'll probably get either a one or two category upgrade but you have to get quite lucky to end up in a suite normally without applying an SNA. I think the core issue is that they don't have lots of suites unlike, say, the St. Regis and they offer the suites they do have for fairly reasonable cash rates so they are frequently booked. I received no upgrade this month but I'd booked a Studio Suite so wasn't expecting one.

You'll get a couple of drinks vouchers, the option of breakfast or points, possibly some sort of welcome amenity but that will probably be pretty much it in terms of benefits.

If an upgrade/status benefits aren't the only considerations there is still quite a lot to recommend the W, in my opinion.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Jan 22, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:02 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
If an upgrade/status benefits aren't the only considerations there is still quite a lot to recommend the W, in my opinion.
Without bad intentions in asking the question and certainly no desire to be rude, but like what to recommend the W? No lounge, only a couple of drinks, unlikely suite upgrades, location is ok but not the best, service is ok but not the best, same for breakfast... So what's left? Lots of good options in Bangkok. I have never stayed at W Bangkok so what do I know, but I am still waiting for good arguments from reputable FTers to pull the trigger and try it myself once and for all. But if new properties such as Marriott Surawong and Hyatt Regency come along and get very good reviews they are ahead of the cue and I keep having W as an after thought. Heck I might be more willing to try other properties with so-so reviews such as Waldorf before W.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Without bad intentions in asking the question and certainly no desire to be rude, but like what to recommend the W? No lounge, only a couple of drinks, unlikely suite upgrades, location is ok but not the best, service is ok but not the best, same for breakfast... So what's left? Lots of good options in Bangkok. I have never stayed at W Bangkok so what do I know, but I am still waiting for good arguments from reputable FTers to pull the trigger and try it myself once and for all. But if new properties such as Marriott Surawong and Hyatt Regency come along and get very good reviews they are ahead of the cue and I keep having W as an after thought. Heck I might be more willing to try other properties with so-so reviews such as Waldorf before W.
House on Sathorn is somewhere I’d actually go to drink/eat if it wasn’t part of the hotel, I don’t think I can say that about a single other bar/restaurant in a Marriott hotel in BKK (maybe Zuma?). The free drinks vouchers can be used there too, by the way, which blows away any lounge globally in terms of quality of drinks if not quantity. I think that’s a huge draw for me.

Breakfast, pool, gym are all good if not the best. Studio Suites I really like. Location I also like.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:25 pm

House on Sathorn is somewhere I’d actually go to drink/eat if it wasn’t part of the hotel, I don’t think I can say that about a single other bar/restaurant in a Marriott hotel in BKK (maybe Zuma?). The free drinks vouchers can be used there too, by the way, which blows away any lounge globally in terms of quality of drinks if not quantity. I think that’s a huge draw for me.

Breakfast, pool, gym are all good if not the best. Studio Suites I really like. Location I also like.
Thanks, drinks still two per stay rather than two per day? Perhaps I should try W for a one-night stay at least.

Athenee has a few flaws which disturb me, but their breakfast is hard to beat so if W beats it I will be very impressed!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:32 pm

Thanks, drinks still two per stay rather than two per day? Perhaps I should try W for a one-night stay at least.

Athenee has a few flaws which disturb me, but their breakfast is hard to beat so if W beats it I will be very impressed!
Yes, two per stay sadly. Athenee breakfast is definitely better than W I’m afraid! Overall, I’ve had too many issues with The Athenee recently though. I enjoy switching between SGS and the W depending on if I’m looking for classic or modern.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:39 pm

Overall, I’ve had too many issues with The Athenee recently though.
As much as I like Athenee's breakfast and their lounge, I have had a few issues there as well, unfortunately. I am still in search of the ideal hotel in Bangkok!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... there is still quite a lot to recommend the W, in my opinion.
Racking my brain trying to think of something.... Two drinks per stay compared to unlimited drinks daily during designated late afternoon/early evening hours at other properties. Suite upgrades which are unlikely at best. Don't get me started. How is this hotel not at or near the bottom of higher end (4+ star) Marriott hotels in Bangkok for PLT guests?

Without bad intentions in asking the question and certainly no desire to be rude, but like what to recommend the W? No lounge, only a couple of drinks, unlikely suite upgrades, location is ok but not the best, service is ok but not the best, same for breakfast... So what's left? Lots of good options in Bangkok. I have never stayed at W Bangkok so what do I know, but I am still waiting for good arguments from reputable FTers to pull the trigger and try it myself once and for all.
I have stayed at the W; and you're right on the mark.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:07 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies - much appreciated!

So, given the mixed reviews, where would people recommend? I'm there for 3 nights and hoping to stick to category 4 since I have a few expiring cat 4 certs.

I have stayed at the marriott sukhumvit...it was newly opened when I went, and I enjoyed it, but I seem to recall the location not being the greatest.

I value benefits and location...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tylerc
I have stayed at the marriott sukhumvit...it was newly opened when I went, and I enjoyed it, but I seem to recall the location not being the greatest.
What are you looking for in location? Marriott Soi 57 may not be heart of Sukhumvit but it's BTS accessible and thonglor is one of the more appealing parts of Bangkok.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:11 pm

House on Sathorn is somewhere I’d actually go to drink/eat if it wasn’t part of the hotel, I don’t think I can say that about a single other bar/restaurant in a Marriott hotel in BKK (maybe Zuma?)
Yes, Zuma is worth going to even if you're not at the St Regis, but Akira Back at the Marriott Marquis would be my favorite Marriott restaurant in town. I didn't love my meal at the House on Sathorn, but the chef has departed in the last couple of weeks and it will be interesting to see what direction they go in there. I know they were very disappointed they were not awarded a star this past year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.