W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Apr 19, 21, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sohan View Post
While I agree in terms of pricing, it could be worth it depending on goals and what equipment etc you need. The convenience of the location is great.
True, it has a good location, but when I looked into it before they wouldn't offer me month to month membership and it was a five or six month minimum membership plan. I didn't want to be billed for something I couldn't use. I've never stayed in Thailand longer than two months out of the year so it might make sense for your situation.

Originally Posted by newshound View Post
I may have missed your reason for the specific hotels you are considering but as far as gym facilities are concerned the JW is way better than pretty much every other Marriott property, certainly the ones I have stayed in over the last few years. It is one of my main reasons for staying there despite a not so ideal location.
The JW was mentioned earlier for the poor location. JW has a great gym, but crowded during non-pandemic times. The noise from the bars in the area outweighs the good gym since I'm a fairly light sleeper. I was there in February before the bars opened back up so it was really quiet, but personally I wouldn't stay there again if the nightlife is operating.
Old Apr 21, 21, 5:49 am

The gym at JW is really annoying during the corona issues. The machines are blocked off in a sense that doesn't make sense if you do something like a push, pull, legs routine as half of the machines you'd want are locked off.

For me the main gripe with JW isn't the noise, but the location being a bit too far from the BTS / one way roads as well as the smaller bathrooms across the board. However, I give it major plus points for having the small kitchens in the suites.

The JW seems to be having a real surge in bookings for their suites (not sure if long stay or just general bookings). The W seems to be selling their suites at a good pace as well and won't negotiate much on longer periods.
Old May 1, 21, 10:04 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
When we checked out of W, we took a couple of balloons they put in our room as decorations, and brought them to our next destination Marriott Surawongse. After our daughter was born I casually sent W a picture with their donut-shape balloon we had kept. They sent me back a lovely handwritten card, very nice gesture! I mean we are not even in-house guests anymore. Good way to get repeat customers for the future.

Fims, eccentricfusion and WasKnown like this.
Old May 7, 21, 3:02 am

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Asking out of curiosity- what is the difference between the Marvelous suite and the Fantastic suite? They are listed as the same size in the app but the price varies quite a bit.
Old May 7, 21, 3:40 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by WasKnown View Post
Asking out of curiosity- what is the difference between the Marvelous suite and the Fantastic suite? They are listed as the same size in the app but the price varies quite a bit.
From my review in post #456 above:
The Marvelous Suite is the same size overall (84 sqm) as the room type below which is the Fantastic Suite. The main differences are the color schemes and the fact that the Marvelous Suite has 1.5 bathrooms instead of only one for the Fantastic Suite. In the latter, instead of a half bath there is extra empty space near the entrance which is not particularly useful although for a solo traveler it would not matter to be missing the half bath and probably not worth paying the material price difference between Fantastic and Marvelous.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 13, 21, 4:03 am

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Forgot to mention this but I had a lovely stay at this hotel. The in-room breakfast was quite weak (for anyone that cares). Very simple and limited compared to other hotels I stayed at after the indoor dining ban. Not a big deal for me but I know some will care about this. The area is so cool with nice small restaurants and coffee shops nearby. Unfortunately, many are closed. Iíll have to come back!

The Marvelous suite is nice and I love the area by the powder room that can be used to open up suitcases. However, there is definitely a ton of wear and tear on the hard product. The paneling and desks were very scratched up. I also wish the master bathroom had a real door and not a curtain. Similarly, I wish the living room and bedroom were separated by a door. Itís also strange that some of the living room lights extend into the bedroom. You cannot light up the living room without partially lighting up the bedroom too.

Service was excellent! I did not get a chance to use the drink vouchers but the hotel currently lets you order them to the room.

Also, this is a pet friendly hotel. I am not sure if other Bangkok hotels ban pets but I saw dogs in the lobby every day! For me, thatís a huge plus but it may not be ideal for everyone.

Overall, I loved my time at this hotel and will go out of my way to stay here again when I return to Bangkok.
eccentricfusion likes this.
Old May 13, 21, 1:12 pm

Overall, I loved my time at this hotel and will go out of my way to stay here again when I return to Bangkok.
Good to hear you had a great stay, the W is passed over often for the SGS but remains my go-to in Bangkok. Too bad the timing was not in your favor and you weren't able to visit many of the restaurants in the area. I'm hoping when I return that things are back to normal with the breakfast buffet. It's odd that the JWM (and other non-Marriott hotels) had the full buffet open and the W did not.
Old May 13, 21, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The in-room breakfast was quite weak (for anyone that cares). Very simple and limited compared to other hotels I stayed at after the indoor dining ban. Not a big deal for me but I know some will care about this.
I do feel this is one measure of a property's commitment to providing a positive guest experience vs. just saying "sorry, we're providing limited services due to covid." I am by contrast with your W experience blown away with how SGS is handling breakfast during the ban on on-premises dining (see in room dining breakfast menu I posted in SGS thread).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 13, 21, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; WoH Globalist (Lite); HH Diamond; QR Plat
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion View Post
Good to hear you had a great stay, the W is passed over often for the SGS but remains my go-to in Bangkok. Too bad the timing was not in your favor and you weren't able to visit many of the restaurants in the area. I'm hoping when I return that things are back to normal with the breakfast buffet. It's odd that the JWM (and other non-Marriott hotels) had the full buffet open and the W did not.
Currently, dining in restaurant is banned in BKK. No buffet is open at any restaurants within BKK metropolitan area including those located in any hotels.
Old May 13, 21, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I do feel this is one measure of a property's commitment to providing a positive guest experience vs. just saying "sorry, we're providing limited services due to covid." I am by contrast with your W experience blown away with how SGS is handling breakfast during the ban on on-premises dining (see in room dining breakfast menu I posted in SGS thread).
I completely understand. I read your SGS review and it sounds like you are having an amazing time! I skipped the SGS this time unfortunately because the people I was traveling with did not like the rooms. However, I would like to visit myself next time and book the Grande Suite (based on your advice).

Personally, I donít care that much about free hotel breakfast in the same way I donít care about premium cabin airplane food. I want to explore the incredible and comparatively cheap restaurants in Bangkok while I am there and do not care to use up meals at the hotel. Bangkok definitely has some of my favorite restaurants ever and they are so cheap compared to options even in other Asian cities (Nahm, Bo.lan, Canvas, Paste, etc!).

I understand your point about using breakfast as a barometer for how much the hotel cares. At the St. Regis, I also found the breakfast to be nothing special (though better than what is offered at the W) but I was blown away by the experience they provided me. Even if they cancelled breakfast, I would have been supremely satisfied with my St Regis stay.

At the W, I was also very pleased with the soft product. Might the breakfast have been pared down due to low occupancy?
Old May 14, 21, 12:05 am

Btw, Bo.Lan is closing.

https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/news...g-scene-051121

I completely understand. I read your SGS review and it sounds like you are having an amazing time! I skipped the SGS this time unfortunately because the people I was traveling with did not like the rooms. However, I would like to visit myself next time and book the Grande Suite (based on your advice).

Personally, I donít care that much about free hotel breakfast in the same way I donít care about premium cabin airplane food. I want to explore the incredible and comparatively cheap restaurants in Bangkok while I am there and do not care to use up meals at the hotel. Bangkok definitely has some of my favorite restaurants ever and they are so cheap compared to options even in other Asian cities (Nahm, Bo.lan, Canvas, Paste, etc!).

I understand your point about using breakfast as a barometer for how much the hotel cares. At the St. Regis, I also found the breakfast to be nothing special (though better than what is offered at the W) but I was blown away by the experience they provided me. Even if they cancelled breakfast, I would have been supremely satisfied with my St Regis stay.

At the W, I was also very pleased with the soft product. Might the breakfast have been pared down due to low occupancy?
Old May 14, 21, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy View Post
Wow. Thatís terrible. Dylan is such a nice guy. I hope whatever they do next is successful.
Old May 14, 21, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident View Post
Currently, dining in restaurant is banned in BKK. No buffet is open at any restaurants within BKK metropolitan area including those located in any hotels.
Yes, I know, I was referring to before the current wave of restrictions. The buffet hasn't been open at the W for quite some time.
Old May 14, 21, 12:38 am

Very likely, with an average of less than 70 guests per night, with only a fraction of those with breakfast benefits/opting for breakfast.
Old May 14, 21, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion View Post
Very likely, with an average of less than 70 guests per night, with only a fraction of those with breakfast benefits/opting for breakfast.
How can you tell how many people are staying at a hotel?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: