W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jpdx

Overall, thumbs up from me (once again) for this hotel that doesn't get much love from FT's Starwood BKK regulars. Only stay here with SNA, be aware of the somewhat less-than-ideal location and the stingy drinks policy, don't overpay ... on a cheap BRG it's amazing value.
I feel the same. I achieved a similar BRG for Jan and applied for suite nights for FAB and Marv rooms. Excellent value. Im not big drinker but agree they should hand over a few more vouchers. I also highly rate the breakfast. I like the ambiance and the selection. Its only one more BTS stop than the LM and as I spend a lot of time in MBK area its convenient for me.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:11 pm

I stayed in the studio suite this past week and it is a great hotel. I kind of liked being a little farther away from the action, personally, especially after a few days in the crazy that is Pattaya. Patpong market is in walking distance and was a fun location to explore. The lobby bar is very loud and crowded during the weekend, for those who are interested in that.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
How sterile is this location? I like the Le Meridien being able to walk out and find a good, cheap Thai massage, etc. I don't need to be right in the middle of the madness but are there people on the street near the W and massage places nearby? a 7-11 or a McDonald's walking distance if you need a snack?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by muntz73
How sterile is this location? I like the Le Meridien being able to walk out and find a good, cheap Thai massage, etc. I don't need to be right in the middle of the madness but are there people on the street near the W and massage places nearby? a 7-11 or a McDonald's walking distance if you need a snack?
There is a 7-11 in the office building next door. You don't even need to exit the front gate of the hotel, you can see it once you exit the lobby, it is right across the fountain in front. There is a McDonald's near the BTS station around the corner. I didn't go to any of the massage areas around the hotel, but there are a few closer to the BTS station. Since it is more of a business district around the hotel, the ones closer to the hotel seem to shut down early. I'm not sure of the hours of the ones closer to the BTS, but those are open a little later. Then there are tons in the Patpong night market. It's farther from the night life a lot of people go visit Bangkok for, but I appreciated the quieter location. Patpong is only a 10-15 minute walk away and everything is easy to get to by taxi anyway.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Patpong is 1 BTS stop away, though I frequently walked.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:40 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
The best Thai massage for the money (and most consistently good,) is just down the street from the W-Health Land. I still go there even though there are closer Health Land's near my apartment near On Nut. There's a 7-11 and McD's on just about every corner, though the street food near Chong Nonsi and on Silom is just much better for you. You want a good burger, Dan Thiger's truck is at the corner near the BTS station a couple times a week at noon, so you don't have to run over to his new permanent location near the car wash and naughty girl massage places.

Last edited by rbAA; Aug 5, 2016 at 5:56 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I would recommend L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon that is close by or a more casual Le Cafe des Stagiaires, 2 streets away, or even Vogue Cafe, just above L'Atelier, in the same building, but can they compete with ..... Mc Donald's, also close by? The largest Dean and DeLuca in Bangkok is also very close.

As in most of Thailand, a 7Eleven is always nearby - in this case, it is just a few yards away, in Sathorn Square.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
OK guys I had a recent stay and very happy with my room/service etc. Picked up a 4899 baht rate and used SNA to upgrade to a Marvelous Suite (which cleared 5 days before) which is just a step below their WOW and X-WOW. Upon checkin at approximately 6 pm I started to inquire about what would it take to upgrade to the WOW suite.

He gets out a binder and I know where this is going, a standard answer from a book. He says it would be 50k SPG points or 30,000 Bahts. I started negotiating with him and went round and round. Another colleague of his got involved and we closed a deal that for 29K SPG points and 10,000 Bahts I could get the Wow Suite INCLUDING a complimentary 90 minute massage at the spa which is like 5500 bahts. I was going to hit the SPA anyway as I really like their ambiance there.

Doing the SPG points also and 10k bahts also allowed me to skirt the PLUS / PLUS on room charges. He charged my card 10k bahts total I had the plus / plus on the 4899 already. So when you take out the 5500 bahts for the massage I paid about 10300 bahts and 29k SPG points for one night in the WOW Suite which rocked.

Had four rooms basically with a full bar and dining room to the left, a TV room/desk in the middle and the right a bedroom followed by a huge master bath. Shower didn't even have walls it was so big, probably 10 feet by 8 feet for the shower. The plasmas could hvae been larger IMO espcially in the master bedroom for you are a ways away, but they had rotating arms that extended out as well. The sound wasn't workign and needed maintenance to get up there as well.

Overall loved the suite and figured why not blow some points basically for a WOW suite. AS others have mentioned the breakfast is great, I really enjoyed it. Great selection of options and eggs are made to order.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by schley
He says it would be 50k SPG points or 30,000 Bahts.
How much is that suite normally if you pay in cash?

Doing the SPG points also and 10k bahts also allowed me to skirt the PLUS / PLUS on room charges.
Interesting. But even if it was entered into the system as a miscellaneous charge, wouldn't it still have to incur the ++? Any of the usual Bangkok habitus out there who can respond to this?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Interesting. But even if it was entered into the system as a miscellaneous charge, wouldn't it still have to incur the ++? Any of the usual Bangkok habitus out there who can respond to this?
usually around 25k bahts which is like 700-800 bucks or i have seen it for almost twice that.

I have the receipt and NO plus/plus. Actually there is nothing under reference for the receipt that is blank...... so just 10k on the folio. I'm not complaining.

The X wow is around 32-35k bahts a night IME at the low end and easily twice that sometimes.

Last edited by schley; Sep 17, 2016 at 1:12 pm Reason: added wow prices
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Great Gold Recognition

I've stayed here 4 times as a gold member and have been given a one category upgrade each time. Staff is friendly, and the rooms are fun.

However, the room layout would be very awkward (at least to Americans) if you are staying with anybody besides your significant other. There is a huge translucent divider between the bedroom and the bathroom. The bathroom door is a curtain.

I like the location. The W is right next the Chong Nosri BTS stop. On the BTS, it is 1 station to Silom, where many bars and clubs located, and 3 stops to Siam with its giant malls. There are also a handful of good restaurants within walking distance. My favorite is a New Zealand place whose name is escaping me. That said, the immediate area is rather quite and office-like for a W.

Overall, I found this to be a great hotel with a Westin-like location.
Attached Images     
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice view of the robot/tron building across the way.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait a minute, -- something doesn't add up here (but maybe I'm missing something).

... Upon checkin at approximately 6 pm I started to inquire about what would it take to upgrade to the WOW suite. ... He gets out a binder and I know where this is going, a standard answer from a book. He says it would be 50k SPG points or 30,000 Bahts.
usually around 25k bahts which is like 700-800 bucks or i have seen it for almost twice that.
OK, so here's what I'm missing. It's 25K baht if you book and pay for the suite, but 30K baht to upgrade to it?

I have the receipt and NO plus/plus. Actually there is nothing under reference for the receipt that is blank...... so just 10k on the folio. I'm not complaining.
I don't blame you. Great deal!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Nice view of the robot/tron building across the way.
Funny, I was just thinking how odd this building looked.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:19 am

Wait a minute, -- something doesn't add up here (but maybe I'm missing something).

OK, so here's what I'm missing. It's 25K baht if you book and pay for the suite, but 30K baht to upgrade to it?
Keep in mind that price in their binder is from a Marvelous Suite not a standard room. So you would have to pay a much higher price from a standard room.

The cash price is my own anecdotal observations, i'm sure it is probably higher much of the time, but for my 3-4 times a year where I search Bangkok that is what I have noticed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.