W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
It is not all negative. He is a hands-on manager and is frequently on the floor and readily available to guests. He is amiable and addresses issues.

His management style, however, is somewhat like Smisek's at United. He gives Platinums (and I assume all guests) what he is obligated to give and no more. The hotel, however, was well managed.

What he was unwilling to do was incur additional costs he didn't need to or cut profit items (e.g., internet costs), even though the direct competition was doing so (at the time, it was the Conrad that had started providing internet for free on the Club level).

For me, the effect was that I stopped staying at the Westin and the Conrad saw more of my business. Was the internet the only reason? No, but it was indicative of why I left.

That's the problem with such management styles. When you cut below what the competition is offering, and prices are similar, a percentage of customers will leave. Based on the posts I am seeing here about the W Bangkok, that seems to be happening there.
That is exactly the issue. He is allowed to provide us to the letter what benefits we're entitled to. And in the States, most hotels do this so you are left with no choice. But in Bangkok, competition is fierce and many luxury hotels go above and beyond. So why would we stay with Hardie when we can go to an alternate hotel where they treat us better? As well, I do not believe I'm spoiled. I stayed 113 nights in 2013 - and these nights could go to any chain - but I choose Starwood because they do go above and beyond for me. And when I run into a Hardie, I steer well clear of him, even going to an alternate chain if need be. In his specific case (Bangkok) he runs his hotel incorrectly because there is so much competition. Sure, he may fill his rooms today - but over time, this sort of behavior and attitude costs his property via reviews and ultimately business.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:29 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks, lets stick to topics which are specific to this property. The policies of the ROS would be better suited to that thread and general ones to other threads.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Recently stayed here. My first stay in a W. Was quite impressed, was upgraded to a Studio Suite which was very comfortable. Had a pleasant greeting on checkin and the guy delivering my bags was leaving the room before we got there!

We got breakfast and 500 points. Breakfast was of a pretty good standard and I liked the ambiance. Plenty of rotation each day which made going to breakfast more interesting.

We had a room facing the BTS and could hear the trains but we didn't find it disturbing (after spending a year in a third floor apartment fronting a major highway we have been conditioned to noise).

The only thing in terms of Plat recognition which was lacking was the provision of 2 drink vouchers. Although my wife and I aren't big drinkers this is always something we look forward to when staying at PA, LM, Westin or SGS (even the one stay at ROS). Not a deal breaker but the 50% off card we were given didn't get any use.

Overall its not my preferred location but I found it to be pretty good. I booked on points then applied my requalification discount. If I were paying cash Im not sure I would find it good value. I would stay there again if it had a competitive pricing against the other BKK options but in saying that I would stay at any of the SPG hotels there except ROS which I found to be too out of the way for my liking.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP
More of a generic SW question...if staying for just one night (getting in around 10:30 PM at BKK and leaving the next evening for SYD). W or St. Regis?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by SFore
More of a generic SW question...if staying for just one night (getting in around 10:30 PM at BKK and leaving the next evening for SYD). W or St. Regis?
Depends what you want to do. St Regis is more convenient to BTS to go to shopping or other areas. If I want a bed for the night I go to Aloft generally and there is some late night clubs around there. PA, Westin and SGS are all conveneint to BTS and if wasting time its easy to go to Terminal 21 from SGS or Westin.

Breakfast at W is better than StR but PA and SGS also have great breakfasts. Westin is solid but not as nice as SGS.

StR rooms are my favourite but does it matter much if you are just one night?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Just between the StR and the W, St.Regis for sure.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
one night

Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
Just between the StR and the W, St.Regis for sure.
yes for one night, chose the St. Regis, its a great exp. with the own butler.
but
I like the W better, as i like the modern rooms, and the open lobby bar.

Breakfast at the St. Regis is really nice, but the W offers a very good breakfast too.

Last time, it took me, 3hours from the airport to the W, the traffic was horrible, so if you arrive around 17pm to 18pm, you might want to take the train and than change to BTS.

the aloft is the best choice, if you want to be around bars, qbar etc. and you can get free entry vouchers.

cheers dp
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
i dont get it

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
What is wrong with this hotel?

I am at this hotel right now, and I am experiencing the exact same issues. "Upgraded" to spectacular room (which btw is same size as Wonderful room), and yet Cool Corner Rooms, Studio Suites & Marvelous Suites are all available for sale right now on www.spg.com.

I checked in at almost 6pm, so perhaps they are still trying to "sell" their Suites. Or perhaps the inventory updating is so poor that many categories of room types, they forgot to remove. (I doubt it, and if someone books a Suite now, I wonder what happens. Maybe it will indeed be available.) And since this is a weekday, I would be surprised that the in-house reservation team have "forgotten" to update so many higher category inventories during office hours.

And I too received a pre-placed envelope addressed to my name in the "upgraded" Spectacular Room, exactly suggesting the same thing; they have no intention to honor the SPG Platinum upgrade policy. Naughty? Or blatant disregard of SPG rules?

And with the rest of the Starwood in Bangkok giving complimentary breakfast to Platinums, W Bangkok is the odd one out to insist this as a Platinum amenity.

And the rate of W is almost close to St Regis Bangkok and much more expensive than Sheraton Grande and Westin Bangkok.

i had a couple of stays at this hotel, and got,

Fantastic, Marvellous and Cornersuite as upgrades.
I had to chose the free breakfast, but whats wrong if a hotel is not giving you free breakfast?

even the hotel has to compete with other hotels, i am happy i can trade away 500 points to receive free breakfast. if you are a frequent spg guest, you are earning a lot points every year, the 500 points are a great deal if you stay more than one night.

i value 500 points = 500bht = 10 Euro, so for 10 Euro i can buy a breakfast for a whole week at the W BKK, thats a great deal for me. even for two nights ,its a great deal, and even for one night, its a great deal if you are two pax.

just my 2 bagels
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
I really like Dean & Luca. Luckily, never got stick there.
I got sick once after eating there, though unsure if it was because of them.

I have to say they have the most humonguous portion sizes for a sandwich and the amount of oil/grease they put is out of this world. Makes me feel like I ate a butter stick. Every menu item they have is hellishly laden with fat and salt. I totally gave up on them now and my waistline is happier
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gypsyinabigtown
I got sick once after eating there, though unsure if it was because of them.

I have to say they have the most humonguous portion sizes for a sandwich and the amount of oil/grease they put is out of this world. Makes me feel like I ate a butter stick. Every menu item they have is hellishly laden with fat and salt. I totally gave up on them now and my waistline is happier
I had a beef sandwich at Dean & Deluca a while ago and must agree. The meat was already questionable taste but the amount of grease... unbearable. Luckily I stopped after a few bites... and still got (minor) food poisoning.
I liked Dean & Deluca in the beginning... today I would think hard going back there again.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I stayed in this hotel about 15 nights this year, across 3-4 stays.

Some observations below:

SPG Plat benefits:
* Not much recognition of SPG Plat benefits. No room upgrade, but I was always put on higher floors e.g. 31st floor. (Comparison: LM Bangkok always give me the larger corner rooms)

* At check-in when I told them I might check out by 4pm I was told the standard policy is 12pm but they can give a 4pm checkout subject to availability. Excuse me?? Anyway, I insisted and after some hesitation the check-in agent agreed to put my checkout time as 4PM. (Comparison: LM Bangkok always puts down the standard checkout as 4PM even without me asking. Once they let me checkout at 6PM as a special case)
* No welcome gift etc. in the room beyond the bog-standard letter. You get a 50% discount on 90 min. spa treatments, but if you're getting a hotel massage for 60$ in Bangkok when they're 10$ everywhere else.

General:
* Staff was friendly and helpful overall. The front desk is a bit overwhelmed, typically max. 2 people there, most of the time only 1 person. I was never able to find a free agent upn walking in, usually need a wait of about 1-2 mins.
* Concierge very helpful even on random things like helping me find train tickets to Ayutthaya.

Breakfast:
* The eggs on order is a bit inconvenient for me as I just need some simple boiled eggs and they take 6-7 minutes to arrive, not great for a rushed morning brekky. Wish they had some in ready supply always.
* The juice selection is horrendous. They have a green concoction in mini bottles which is labelled "vegetable juice". It is sweeter than pure honey mixed with water. The rest of the juices are similarly sickening sweet. When I asked staff about this, they were glad (almost proud!?) to confirm that they add extra sugar to every single one of their juices. Why would anyone want to shove spoonfuls of sugar down their guests throats?? Why not just give them the 100% juice, and if they still need sugar injections, they can add so themselves. Minor issue, but shows how the hip-modern look of the hotel becomes a bit of facade only.
* No coconuts at breakfast. maybe it's a mixed blessing because I can almost see them adding sugar into raw coconut as well!
* Nice selection of Indian/Chinese specialties at breakfast.

Rooms:
* A little too party-ish. Huge space wasted with multiple minibars with lots of liquors and other random snacks, and even a cocktail shaker (!) but there is not much space to lay open a large suitcase.
* Shower pretty good.
* TV pretty new and good. Receives HDMI connection (sadly some rooms in LM lack this)
* Room service menu laughable, food options only 5 or 10, less than half of what LM or even aLoft offers. Drink options are plenty however - really bizarre.

Facilities:
* The gym is definitely one of the better ones I've seen. Cable station, lots of free weights etc. Perplexingly for a large gym, there is only 1 stretching mat. It was frequently busy.

Other:
* No Make-A-Green-Choice participation. Huge downer.

Overall I don't think I'll prefer this hotel given the lack of much SPG recognition and lack of MAGC, and the breakfast and food options doesn't wow me. Too bad that an otherwise nice and updated property is let down by poor management decisions.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat97, AA PLT, Delta SM
Agree with gypsyinabigtown's sentiments. One thing I found was my room (only upgraded to spectacular room) was really dated. Room would have brought smiles to folks when Donna Summer & Bee Gees were kings, maybe even Don Johnson circa Miami Vice era, but sadly those days have passed. I also thought my room was way over priced for what I got. Last week I did spend 3 days at W Hong Kong, which cost about 50% more than W Bangkok, but felt W Hong Kong was worth it and than some. Best things about W Bangkok is that they offer 500 plat points + breakfast, breakfast was impressive and I liked the second floor balcony area where I could work out of my laptop and relax.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by luna6
Last week I did spend 3 days at W Hong Kong, which cost about 50% more than W Bangkok, but felt W Hong Kong was worth it and than some. Best things about W Bangkok is that they offer 500 plat points + breakfast, breakfast was impressive and I liked the second floor balcony area where I could work out of my laptop and relax.
Is this new? It hasn't been yet a few weeks since the last complaint of the W Bangkok requiring the forfeiture of the 500 pts to get breakfast, and many here claiming the breakfast is anything but impressive.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
Is this new? It hasn't been yet a few weeks since the last complaint of the W Bangkok requiring the forfeiture of the 500 pts to get breakfast, and many here claiming the breakfast is anything but impressive.
I was there in January. At checkin I was asked to choose between breakfast and points but ended up getting both. Personally I thought the breakfast was really good. I liked the breakfast area layout as well. For me I would rank it behind PA and SGS but better than the rest, though to be honest I can scrape up a good feed at any of the properties except the lounge at ROS.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Perhaps I am not the party type, so the bling bling rooms didn't much appeal to me.
Breakfast was ok. Juice terrible as mentioned before.
Love the gym.

Besides the St Regis Bkk, it's been a while since I stayed at the rest of spg properties.
Is PA still good? I remember the club lounge was impressive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.