W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaejaez
S
6. Rooms are a step further away from 'luxury'.
This is quite interesting- I thought this would be a showcase hotel?

Is it just that you don't like the design- or is it closer in design/build quality to the aLoft vs a design hotel?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
a few things to note:
1. No breakfast for plats, must choose as an amenity in place of 500 pts
Has your stay posted? You may be right of course but I chose the breakfast amenity and the 500 points posted anyway

I have been in some SPG hotels where I have been offered the usual amenities, chosen the 500 points, and then been told I get free breakfast as platinum! I suspect however that I was lucky to have the 500 points post

If breakfast is not provided to platinums, then they are alone with Aloft (St Regis removed and then reinstated this benefit) amongst SPG Bangkok hotels

Jeff
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I think that one of the phenomena we've observed repeatedly is that Starwood properties, particularly in Bangkok, do not run smoothly at the very beginning. I'm not writing this place off yet.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Stay Review W Bangkok

I had to survey is new arrival in my JAPAC patch.

Getting to the hotel:
There are clear signs from the Chongnonsi BTS station to the hotel (Exit 1). There is a bridge leading to the office building, 2 escalators down to be on the ground floor and at the back, an entrance to the main arrival square. The W is not sign posted once you are in the office building.

Check-in

Check-in was a bit slow despite being the only pax at reception. About 10 minutes to get all sorted, no room upgrade, got the Wonderful Room I had booked. My SNA did not clear and I was told that I was given a room on the highest open floor (12th) and that the suite will only be available in March next year. Not all inventory has been released for booking and it is probably a good thing as it seems the staff are being put through their paces.

Room
The Wonderful Room is very nice, I was not ecstatic but it is nice enough. The bathroom has a great shower with fabulous water pressure. All the lights, DND, AC, Messages are controlled through a little Asus Tablet by the side of the bed. While it is a great use of technology, not having a night switch by each side of the bed means that you might find it difficult to make your way to the bathroom in darkness without waking up your other half while fumbling with the tablet for the light controls. My room was facing the BTS line and I was awaken pretty early by the screeching noise of the trains driving past.

WooBar

Was given a drink voucher and had nice Chor Muang cocktail (300 THB list). The bar was deserted, it was 20:00. I was told that the previous night had been fantastic with the place full but when I return to the hotel at 23:00, the bar was still empty save for 2-3 tables. Looks like it still has some time to go before it becomes the happening place in Bangkok.

Sweat

As noted, the Away Spa is not yet open. The pool is really nice with interesting curved high wall. Good view of Sathorn from the upper deck.

Kitchen Bar

Thanks to the BTS wake up call, I was one of the earliest guest in a deserted Kitchen Table. Breakfast at 800 THB for buffet is pricey. As noted, as I took the 500 points, platinums do not have free breaky.

Bottom Line
I think it is a commendable performance so close to the opening. The staff is eager to help and trying hard to be friendly and personable. I enjoyed nothing but good service. I must say that the location is a bit of a downer. In BKK, I will find it hard to stray from Le Meridien where I have had nothing but excellent service over the years and 100% upgrade track reccord. I find Le Meridien to be very generous with Platinum.

Some pictures below:

Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
More pics

Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:42 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
platinums do not have free breaky
I wonder if the hotel staff been given SPG training or have a SPG coordinator?

I assume this is just a temporary faux pas...? Lurkers...?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I wonder if the hotel staff been given SPG training or have a SPG coordinator?

I assume this is just a temporary faux pas...? Lurkers...?
Well Platinums do have free breakfast if they elect to at check-in as the PLATINUM THANK YOU.

What I meant is that unlike Le Meridien Surawong and many of the properties in BKK, you get your Platinum 500 points and they provide beyond the standard benefits with breakfast. It is true at the Westin (in the lounge), the Sheraton Royal Orchid (in the lounge), the Sheraton Sukhumvit (by the pool), the Meridien Plaza Athenee (lounge), Le Meridien Surawong (main restaurant)...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by JohnSIN
Well Platinums do have free breakfast if they elect to at check-in as the PLATINUM THANK YOU.

What I meant is that unlike Le Meridien Surawong and many of the properties in BKK, you get your Platinum 500 points and they provide beyond the standard benefits with breakfast. It is true at the Westin (in the lounge), the Sheraton Royal Orchid (in the lounge), the Sheraton Sukhumvit (by the pool), the Meridien Plaza Athenee (lounge), Le Meridien Surawong (main restaurant)...
Your wording initially surprised me. Also the below quote from post 15 seems to have a different opinion...

1. No breakfast for plats, must choose as an amenity in place of 500 pts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E

ROS, SGS, and PA also allow you to take breakfast in the main restaurant

Jeff
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Your wording initially surprised me. Also the below quote from post 15 seems to have a different opinion...
Ok my oversight, I did not look or ask about the options, always go for the points, but Breaky is not an additional platinum perk.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Thanks for the review.

But No suites available until next March?

I thought it will be ready before next February.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT

When I was at the Westin a while ago, I had my choice of breakfast in the lounge or regular restaurant in addition to the 500 points. At the Sheraton Grande (across the street from the Westin), the GM has posted on FT that as a matter of policy, PLT guests can opt for the 500 point amenity in addition to the regular buffet breakfast wherever it's being served (Orchid Café always, plus Sala by the pool weather permitting in season). (Sheraton has no PLT or executive lounge.)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
When I was at the Westin a while ago, I had my choice of breakfast in the lounge or regular restaurant in addition to the 500 points.
Full breakfast in the restaurant or 500 points, not both at the Westin
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
This is quite interesting- I thought this would be a showcase hotel?

Is it just that you don't like the design- or is it closer in design/build quality to the aLoft vs a design hotel?
It is actually the other way round - I quite liked the design aspect of the rooms... it is concept-ed after "Thai Boxing" with cute little touches. And yes the shower pressure is fantastic.

Let me giving an example to back up my note of it being 'less luxurious'. There is no door to the bathroom/toilet, but there is a curtain which you can draw manually to block off the bathroom/toilet section. It just felt a bit cheap to me..
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:23 am

So my apologies for the misinformation, I checked upon check out and the W Bangkok does provide Breakfast as an option at check in together with local gift or 500 Points.

On another note, one of the sales manager came and chit chatted. The old historical building will host one restaurant (not decided if it will be Thai or otherwise) and some Duplex Suite. There will be additional suites in the main W tower but the idea of Suite in this more historical setting is certainly an attractive one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.