Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
travelswithmyself,

Thanks for the great pictures and writeup! Unfortunately post 252 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21614446-post252.html makes everything very hard to read because the last picture widens the page. Could you please edit that post so that your review would be easier to read?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:29 am

Done - it was the pano photos. I was experimenting with picture width, when combining multiple photos. The first two rooms are in 1600 x XXX, while the Marv Suite is 1200 x XXX - still clear enough isn't it? Next time I'll resize them for 1200 :P
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Great review, travelswithmyself. I think I was the beneficiary of your kindness: when checking in, someone handed me 4 welcome drink coupons since he wasn't going to use them. If that was you, thanks so much!

I booked a Wonderful room and was upgraded to a Spectacular room -- my first true upgrade as a Gold, at least in recent memory. As a Gold, I did receive two welcome drinks, chosen instead of 250 SPG points.

The lobby bar is quite exceptional, a great atmosphere with a live DJ and house music. Very interesting cocktails and reasonably priced (THB 300) -- but of course I had the free drink coupons. Cheers!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Marvelous Suite

. we requested to have our Studio upgraded on the last night to the Marvelous Suite; FD was very pleasant about it and not only allowed it, they allowed us to keep the Marvelous Suite till our late Your24 (tm) checkout at 6pm, instead of pushing us back to the lower-tier Cool Corner

. I found it a bit dim to say the least - firstly the living room furniture is faux pony hair and is BLACK, then they have dim lights because apparently they're afraid bright lights will fade the pony hair too quickly
. but the sofa is very very long and comfortable... better than some hotel beds I've been in
. the 1/2 bathroom is huge in comparison to some, there's space for a shower if they had wanted to install it
. the room is divided into two rectangles - one side is the living space, and the other side are the two bathrooms - and this wall is 2" of translucent purple glass. The bathroom walls are themselves made of the mirror-ed glass I mentioned earlier, and then there's an air gap of about 2" and then the purple glass wall. The purple glass is textured and gives a fuzziness to the people behind the glass, but yes you can still make out people and sort of what they're doing...
. in the picture below you can see the mirror effect in the half-bathroom - with the lights off it becomes normal translucent glass

And here is the infamous curtain that closes off the bathroom area from the bedroom. I actually find it acceptable. It makes the room larger and more airy. It's also not a cheap shower curtain but of a thick velvet-like material.

I was more worried about the little TV which isn't one of those built-in Ad Notam things, but a standard TV mounted on what seemed to be a very loose and flimsy swing arm. For a while I was actually afraid of it dropping into the bathtub!

Thoughts
. I've stayed at the aLoft and the 4 Points, and I agree that for convenience and access those can't be beat. However, it isn't really that difficult to get to Sukhumvit from the W. And the hotel rooms are nice enough to just chillax in. I'd probably come back here again, if the price was right
. the bathroom is a non-issue to me, though I avoided staying in the lower tier rooms
. I would probably go for a Studio Suite because it's brighter, more airy and has a better view. And because it has a tub with a view
Nice pictures you have of the marvellous suite! Now that I have seen what it is like from your pictures, I no longer need to book my upcoming stays in bangkok at the W due to the lack of a platinum happy hour
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Great review, travelswithmyself. I think I was the beneficiary of your kindness: when checking in, someone handed me 4 welcome drink coupons since he wasn't going to use them. If that was you, thanks so much!

Wahaha, yes it was me! You *looked* like the sort who would be on FT but I thought it would be a bit too forward to ask :P

Glad you made good use of the coupons; I guess I'm at the age where as Billy Crystal said... the music starts to get too loud
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I just checked in for 2 nights (starpicks thing for ~5000 THB in a wonderful room); got a Spectacular Room as an upgrade checkin but by using the SPG iPhone app saw there were Studio and Marvelous suites available, so I pushed and got a Studio Suite.

The Studio Suite solves the "do not want to pee/poo in front of girlfriend" problem, by putting the toilet in essentially a separate part of the room. The blinds/curtains in the bathroom kind of suck, in that you can't actually open them. It may just be that the ones in my room are broken. I miss power controls -- I'd expect a new build hotel in this class to have them, if not electronically dimmable glass. Suite-sized W toiletries are nice. Staff spoke *amazing* English, even better than at LM, essentially US-native quality, and were all great.

Minor issues in the room when I arrived (empty water bottle under the desk, desk itself seems either broken or incorrectly assembled on one of the supports, etc.).

Overall, it's pretty nice, although honestly the hotel feels inferior to SGS, LM, or LRM/PA. I'd probably take it over the WGS, except for location, and it's preferable to ROS or Aloft or 4 Points. (I'm trying the St R later in the week, but I assume StR is in the top tier too).

A couple drink coupons vs. a lounge or 2h period at the bar feels a bit lame, coming out of a stay at the LM where I had some of the best drinks I've had in a while, at Bamboo Chic.

"Paying" my 500 points for breakfast for 2 nights is also lame compared to *every other starwood property in the city*. I did it so I could review the breakfast for ft/tripadvisor/yelp/etc., but I'm not sure if it's worth it unless I actually go twice.

Having to ask for a real upgrade vs. at LM where they had no avail on avantec during my stay and actually apologized (and when I offered to go smoking, for which they also had no avail it turns out, they were willing to check...), also kind of lame; I think that's a hotel policy to try to retain suites for paid upgrades (?).

I'm generally not a "W Brand" person (except I like their toiletries), but I wanted to collect the full set here in Bangkok. Much more a Westin or Le Meridien person, or LC, so maybe I'm not a great person to review it.

Since it's a newish hotel, and I've got my D-SLR with me, I guess I should be taking actual photos.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I just checked in for 2 nights (starpicks thing for ~5000 THB in a wonderful room); got a Spectacular Room as an upgrade checkin but by using the SPG iPhone app saw there were Studio and Marvelous suites available, so I pushed and got a Studio Suite.

The Studio Suite solves the "do not want to pee/poo in front of girlfriend" problem, by putting the toilet in essentially a separate part of the room. The blinds/curtains in the bathroom kind of suck, in that you can't actually open them. It may just be that the ones in my room are broken. I miss power controls -- I'd expect a new build hotel in this class to have them, if not electronically dimmable glass. Suite-sized W toiletries are nice. Staff spoke *amazing* English, even better than at LM, essentially US-native quality, and were all great.

Minor issues in the room when I arrived (empty water bottle under the desk, desk itself seems either broken or incorrectly assembled on one of the supports, etc.).

Overall, it's pretty nice, although honestly the hotel feels inferior to SGS, LM, or LRM/PA. I'd probably take it over the WGS, except for location, and it's preferable to ROS or Aloft or 4 Points. (I'm trying the St R later in the week, but I assume StR is in the top tier too).

A couple drink coupons vs. a lounge or 2h period at the bar feels a bit lame, coming out of a stay at the LM where I had some of the best drinks I've had in a while, at Bamboo Chic.

"Paying" my 500 points for breakfast for 2 nights is also lame compared to *every other starwood property in the city*. I did it so I could review the breakfast for ft/tripadvisor/yelp/etc., but I'm not sure if it's worth it unless I actually go twice.

Having to ask for a real upgrade vs. at LM where they had no avail on avantec during my stay and actually apologized (and when I offered to go smoking, for which they also had no avail it turns out, they were willing to check...), also kind of lame; I think that's a hotel policy to try to retain suites for paid upgrades (?).

I'm generally not a "W Brand" person (except I like their toiletries), but I wanted to collect the full set here in Bangkok. Much more a Westin or Le Meridien person, or LC, so maybe I'm not a great person to review it.

Since it's a newish hotel, and I've got my D-SLR with me, I guess I should be taking actual photos.
Good review, thanks. Confirms my suspicions to not even bother to try the property. I too love the SGS/LM combo and don't mind the PA/StR and Westin (for their rates). The W's poor location and open space concept have turned me off - and now hearing I'd have to swap points for breakfast (unlike all other properties in Bangkok except Westin) and have to 'fight' for upgrades which I've earned (that really annoys me), makes me not bother to try them. I just went through the same 'had to fight for an upgrade' at the Sheraton Hong Kong and it's a real bother. So thanks - you've saved me from wondering what I'm missing.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
If it weren't for the platinum issues (500 points *plus* breakfast, and knowing you'll get a studio suite if it's available even without SNA), the bathroom in the studio suite (which is probably the second best of any Starwood property I've tried; the Westin Sendai is slightly better) would potentially make me consider the W vs. the LM. The shower, tub, and view really are pretty nice. Giving up the happy hour(s) and closer-to-BTS-but-less-stuff-to-do I can probably tolerate.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:04 am

Why is it that on the 28th floor of a building just constructed (W) I can hear the BTS quite loudly, but in a fairly old building (WGS or SGS, or LRM) which is even closer to BTS, I never hear it? It's not earth-shatteringly loud, but pretty annoyingly loud. Did they just spec crappy windows?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I also recently checked out and think that the 2 drink coupons per stay (and no food - even appetizers) is pretty weak and I believe that it is not given to all Platinum guests.
The breakfast is good (better than LMBKK) and the staff is really paying attention to the need of the guests.
Great upgrade with a rate that is pretty low for the W.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I am sorry, but the last time I was at the 4P Bangkok, they had a great happy hour drinks with small plates at their Beer Vault ... did that change lately?
Yes, no more happy hour in the BeerVault for plats since 1st of Nov. Also no upgrade beyond junior suite. Breakfast is not included anymore in regular bookings, only as Plat welcome gift instead of points.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
Yes, no more happy hour in the BeerVault for plats since 1st of Nov. Also no upgrade beyond junior suite. Breakfast is not included anymore in regular bookings, only as Plat welcome gift instead of points.
Wow, the Plat happy hour is no more? Well, one more property I won't be staying at in Bangkok. Lots being crossed off the list nowadays. But still a few gems left.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Anyone know of laundry places around the hotel?

Dean & Luca: fairly nice place to have a meal, but I got sick twice after eating there. Just bad luck?

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 9, 2013 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wow, the Plat happy hour is no more? Well, one more property I won't be staying at in Bangkok. Lots being crossed off the list nowadays. But still a few gems left.
I always thought this was bound to happen given how well the 4P was doing, and with the departure of Janet McNab who in my opinion is the more 'generous' GM... (she's now at Westin Phuket where you'll find her usual level of generosity for plats)
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by UASPG
Anyone know of laundry places around the hotel?

Dean & Luca: fairly nice place to have a meal, but I got sick twice after eating there. Just bad luck?
I really like Dean & Luca. Luckily, never got stick there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.