Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm with kesler.go on this one. If a guest reaches out to the GM of a brandspanking property, the response should be more appropriate.

I had a similar complaint at another new property (not SPG) and the director of rooms was genuinely apologetic and made efforts to improve the situation.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm with kesler.go on this one. If a guest reaches out to the GM of a brandspanking property, the response should be more appropriate.

I had a similar complaint at another new property (not SPG) and the director of rooms was genuinely apologetic and made efforts to improve the situation.
I quite like the response of the GM- addresses this issues, advises how they have been rectified, and asks a true question about competitive positioning in the BKK market.

41 SqM is very competitive for the BKK market currently.

Every new hotel has a series of teething problems- personally if I want to be sure to stay in a hotel with no problems I stay away from anywhere that has not been open at least 12-18 months- otherwise I balance the good (brand new hotel) with the more difficult (new staff, poor build out, etc).
Old May 27, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I quite like the response of the GM- addresses this issues, advises how they have been rectified, and asks a true question about competitive positioning in the BKK market.

41 SqM is very competitive for the BKK market currently.

Every new hotel has a series of teething problems- personally if I want to be sure to stay in a hotel with no problems I stay away from anywhere that has not been open at least 12-18 months- otherwise I balance the good (brand new hotel) with the more difficult (new staff, poor build out, etc).
SQM-wise it's big, however it did feel very cramped. The bathroom was quite big so I guess it ate up the space for the bedroom. The space between the bed and TV was also blocked by the lounge chair and coffee table making it more cramped. Compared to the Vista Room of the Le Meridien which is only 36SQM, LM's rooms felt more spacious.

Honestly I expected a simply apology and how they look forward to seeing me in my next visit. What I did not expect is to be lectured about the Venetian Polished Plaster and rebuked for not asking for a room change. With some maintenance/finishing issues in my room, he shouldn't be surprised if someone asked if it was an intentional design or was it a result of substandard finishing.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; May 27, 2013 at 8:13 am
Old May 27, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kesler.go
SQM-wise it's big, however it did feel very cramped. The bathroom was quite big so I guess it ate up the space for the bedroom. The space between the bed and TV was also blocked by the lounge chair and coffee table making it more cramped. Compared to the Vista Room of the Le Meridien which is only 36SQM, LM's rooms felt more spacious.

Honestly I expected a simply apology and how they look forward to seeing me in my next visit. What I did not expect is to be lectured about the Venetian Polished Plaster and rebuked for not asking for a room change. With some maintenance/finishing issues in my room, he shouldn't be surprised if someone asked if it was an intentional design or was it a result of substandard finishing.
Got it- I also don't like the design trend of larger bathroom/less space however I suppose some interior designer(s) have decided this is the future of hotels by the looks of things.

Reading the message from the GM I find it to be really reasonable- I much prefer that someone tells me what the problems are, why, and what they are doing about them as opposed to the "we are so sorry and look forward to your next visit model". I suppose everyone has a different idea of what they want and what I like is to know someone with decision making responsibility looked carefully into my problem and advising what can and cannot be done moving forward.

I guess it all depends on point of view. In any event- excellent you did communicate to the hotel as presumably the room will be fixed soon and thus another Flyertalker won't be stuck with poor quality finishings!
Old May 27, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The room was okay, but because of the lounge chair and coffee table it left only about 2-3 foot space to walk around, it was a little cramped.
Don't hesitate to move the furniture around or even ask that some of it be removed and/or changed. When I'm going to be at a hotel for more than a couple of days, I arrange the room to make it comfortable and easy for me to work (I use a laptop and lots of papers). I've always found hotels happy to comply with such requests.
Old May 27, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Having stayed here a couple of times (both times in a Spectacular Room), I'd agree with kesler.go that the room feels a bit cramped. There's literally no "dead space" or storage room for luggage etc. I think this has a lot to do with the tear shaped room - and the same goes for the bathroom. The hallroom is long but with no real function other than the closets.

As their upgrade policy seems very stingy and as the suites currently sell at a semi-reasonable rate, I'd go for a suite next time if considering this property.

Last edited by remymartin; May 27, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Old May 27, 2013, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
Having stayed here a couple of times (both times in a Spectacular Room), I'd agree with kesler.go that the room feels a bit cramped. There's literally no "dead space" or storage room for luggage etc. I think this has a lot to do with the tear shaped room - and the same goes for the bathroom. The hallroom is long but with no real function other than the closets.

As their upgrade policy seems very stingy and as the suites currently sell at a semi-reasonable rate, I'd go for a suite next time if considering this property.
The Spectacular Room actually looks more spacious. Compared to other Wonderful Rooms (I've seen online) where the lounge chair and coffee table were placed on the side of the bed, mine was in front of it. So it pretty much blocked the entire path, but honestly like my email to the GM, I really didn't mind it much, thinking I just lucked out on the room assignments.

Going back to the GM's email, I felt a little insulted, the question regarding other hotels in BKK felt more like a taunt than something out of genuine curiosity to me.
Old May 27, 2013, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Got it- I also don't like the design trend of larger bathroom/less space however I suppose some interior designer(s) have decided this is the future of hotels by the looks of things.

Reading the message from the GM I find it to be really reasonable- I much prefer that someone tells me what the problems are, why, and what they are doing about them as opposed to the "we are so sorry and look forward to your next visit model". I suppose everyone has a different idea of what they want and what I like is to know someone with decision making responsibility looked carefully into my problem and advising what can and cannot be done moving forward.

I guess it all depends on point of view. In any event- excellent you did communicate to the hotel as presumably the room will be fixed soon and thus another Flyertalker won't be stuck with poor quality finishings!
I agree...but if I were in his position, I would have drafted a less defensive (justifying), more apologetic email. It wasn't like I was asking for a free upgrade or a free night. I was merely giving my observations about the property.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:03 pm
Suspended

My room had the open toilet plan.

Hotel feels like it's away from everything interesting.

Room was heavy with the smell of off-gassing nylons and rayons etc.

I hate to 11 the open toilet plan and I could put a real beating on W for continuing to spread this monstrosity, it's a cheap way to increase usable floor space at the disadvantage of living inside the toilet stall.

I stayed two days, have no intention of ever returning. Especially when the Sheraton and St. Regis are so good in this city.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I agree...but if I were in his position, I would have drafted a less defensive (justifying), more apologetic email. It wasn't like I was asking for a free upgrade or a free night. I was merely giving my observations about the property.
I agree, the response lacked tact.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by aeroFormosa
Here are some photos of W Bangkok

Wonderful Guest Room(s)

More photos of W Bangkok: https://picasaweb.google.com/1140949...kokFourPoints#
Is it just me or was that a luggage rack on the far left near the window? I'm a little confused as to why it was there. I wouldn't want to be sleeping beside my luggage.
Old May 29, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: SQ TPP
I prefer an email like the GM sent, rather than the template we are sorry, come back and stay again etc etc.

On another note, I don't think it is appropriate to publish a private email conversation on the open Internet for critique by strangers unless you had his permission. It may be legal, but I don't think it appropriate.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by snaffled
On another note, I don't think it is appropriate to publish a private email conversation on the open Internet for critique by strangers unless you had his permission. It may be legal, but I don't think it appropriate.
For the information of readers, it is legal. Email becomes the property of the recipient when it is received, just like a paper letter sent by mail.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Is it just me or was that a luggage rack on the far left near the window? I'm a little confused as to why it was there. I wouldn't want to be sleeping beside my luggage.
Not sure it is. In the picture on the right is the luggage on the provided luggage rack.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
Not sure it is. In the picture on the right is the luggage on the provided luggage rack.
A folding luggage rack was provided, but I just found it weird that there was one that looks like a rack sitting beside the bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.