Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Here are few pics taken during my stay during Songkran 2013. The hotel was of course fully booked so SNAs did not work, Plat upgrades only got me a Spectacular room from the Wonderful room booked.

It was a good stay, lots of staff, friendly and nice. Some hesitations but really nothing serious.

Room was good, comfy bed, nice desk. I won't comment on the open bathroom concept once again, enough people talked about it already. The bath tub... .it's in plastic and it looks cheap... I wonder who chose this...?

Good breakfast but nothing fancy.

I would say it' a bit more than 10min walk to LM It is definitely walkable distance when the weather is not too scorching hot. But the location of the W is right next to the BTS and Train stations (they are 2 separate stations) "Chong Nonsi" (not sure about spelling) and during "normal" hours, you can walk through the office building and enjoy the air con . Otherwise it's just a short walk around the building.

I would still prefer LM for BKK. More eateries just outside the door, more things to do or see as well. But further away from Saladaeng BTS and Silom MTR station.
But looking at the rates, I don't see why I would pay 6000THB when I can get LM for 4000THB. It's a personal choice but LM will be my first choice there.

Here are the pics of the Spectacular Room and the swimming pool (before and during the Songkran wet party ).

Nice pics.
Songkran celebrations have become so silly and childish that I get the hell out of Thailand during that period.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Haven't stayed there, but got a guided tour a couple of months ago. The walk from the BTS is through the office building which stands in front of the W, but then you have to cross a large driveway from the back of the office building to the W. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it during rainy season.

The pool area has basically no shade. (My point of reference is the pool at SGS.) When I was there, there was one person in one of the curtained lounges up top having a massage, and another on a regular lounge on the lower level. Very peaceful. The last pic above is not my idea of a relaxing day at the pool, but I know that others like a crowd, the action, excitement, vibe. Way too crowded for me, though.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Haven't stayed there, but got a guided tour a couple of months ago. The walk from the BTS is through the office building which stands in front of the W, but then you have to cross a large driveway from the back of the office building to the W. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it during rainy season.

The pool area has basically no shade. (My point of reference is the pool at SGS.) When I was there, there was one person in one of the curtained lounges up top having a massage, and another on a regular lounge on the lower level. Very peaceful. The last pic above is not my idea of a relaxing day at the pool, but I know that others like a crowd, the action, excitement, vibe. Way too crowded for me, though.
I have to agree with you that the photos in post #166 look like a nightmare to me- but then again maybe I am not the target demographic of W hotels. My favorite hotel pool in Bangkok is still the former Regent (now Four Seasons) which has a wonderful pool and different areas with sun and shade. The only time of year that it is crowded is CNY however that is true for pretty much every hotel in Bangkok now.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by DurandilToss
Yeah Pics will be appreciated since I am curious on the layouts of the various suites as well I am thinking of going over with my significant other for a day since she is a fan of W hotels, apart from the spectacular rooms, are the toilets in the other rooms just separated by just a curtain as well without any other dividers? If so then I guess we'll have to make this a pass..
The pictures I took came out pretty bad, as I was trying the panorama feature of my phone. But, I have included some of them below.

The bathroom at the entrance to the room has its own door. The toilet in the main bathroom has a sliding door, the door slides to enclose either the shower or the toilet, but not both at the same time. The walls of the toilet in the main bathroom are slightly transparent, but if you wanted complete privacy you can always use the 2nd toilet at the entrance.

Last edited by whimike; May 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great photos whimike! I like the panorama features- looks great.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:46 am

Yep, great pano shots, thanks!!! Suites definitely look better. Not really thrilled with the dark zebra style colours but like the furnishings.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
The pictures I took came out pretty bad, as I was trying the panorama feature of my phone. But, I have included some of them below.

The bathroom at the entrance to the room has its own door. The toilet in the main bathroom has a sliding door, the door slides to enclose either the shower or the toilet, but not both at the same time. The walls of the toilet in the main bathroom are slightly transparent, but if you wanted complete privacy you can always use the 2nd toilet at the entrance.

Thank you for the photos Mike! Knowing that there are more privacy for the toilet in the suite makes me more relieved!
Old May 17, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DurandilToss
Thank you for the photos Mike! Knowing that there are more privacy for the toilet in the suite makes me more relieved!
But what's the upgrade percentage running for PLTs?
Old May 17, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
But what's the upgrade percentage running for PLTs?
Probably very low. It would also be interesting to hear which suite categories plats have been upgraded to. Looking at their site, I see these suite categories available:

Studio Suite
Fantastic Suite
Marvelous Suite

I don't see "Wonderful Suite" that whimike mentioned at all.
Old May 17, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Are the suites in the old Russian embassy building done yet?
Old May 17, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by remymartin
Probably very low. It would also be interesting to hear which suite categories plats have been upgraded to. Looking at their site, I see these suite categories available:

Studio Suite
Fantastic Suite
Marvelous Suite

I don't see "Wonderful Suite" that whimike mentioned at all.
My mistake, I had meant to say "Marvelous Suite".

Just to note, I used an SNA to get upgraded to the Marvelous Suite. I also went with a friend and used his SNA to upgrade him as well. A few days out he was confirmed into a Marvelous Suite and upon check-in he was downgraded to a Studio Suite, even though I never chose the Studio Suite option on the SNA upgrade page.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Quite disappointed with my stay...

the crocodile skin counter was either faded or dusty...

the grout on the tiles were falling off...and they were all over the bathtub

Lastly it may have been a design element of the room but that back wall look smudgy and dirty to me.

So I tried reaching out to the email the GM posted on TripAdvisor but I got this reply instead...

Old May 27, 2013, 2:41 am

I wrote the GM of W Hotel last Friday, I'm attaching the body of the email here:
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 3:38 PM
To: Heath, Nick
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: My recent stay at W Bangkok

Dear Mr. Heath,

I am writing about my recent stay at your new property. I was a little disappointed that my instructions through email last May 7,2013 regarding my 2 separate reservations was not followed, I found out about this when I arrived and my guest folio said I am only staying a night instead of two. I had to explain my situation twice at the check-in counter before they were able to fix it, this could have been avoided if someone took action on my email request and my follow up email last May 10,2013. This may be a very minor issue however it shows the level of care and consideration the property accords its guests.

Although I have some issues with the layout and size of the room, I think I was just unlucky to be assigned to this one (2001), thankfully I was traveling alone and did not need that much space. However I'd like to point out a few things.
The crocodile skin counter would have been very impressive, but it looked old, dusty and faded. I do not understand how that could have happened to a property about 4 months old. If the room was not in it's top shape, guests should not be assigned to it. (see photo)
The grout on the tiles in the bathroom kept on falling off, I do not know how this may have happened but every time I check my bathtub, there were a few flecks of black cement on the tub. Clearly the contractor did not do a good job in finishing the bathroom and no one bothered wiping the walls to check for these imperfections. (see photo)
On Sunday, I came back to my room a little bit after 3 in the afternoon and was surprised that no one made up the bed. I actually noticed that someone already went to the room to replace the water bottles, but no one bother fixing the bed. Someone eventually knocked at almost 5 in the afternoon asking if I wanted to get my room cleaned. I was out most of the morning up to the afternoon, so I do not understand why housekeeping had to wait until 5pm to get things cleaned up. It just didn't make sense.
Mr. Heath, I understand that you are managing a relatively young property, but I have stayed at hotels that opened the same week or month and I did not encounter anything like this. Room size is okay, it might have been a little cramped but I just lost in the room assignment lottery, but the condition of the room was just deplorable. Another thing I noticed is the wall backing the bed. Was it really supposed to be all smudged up? Compared to the opposite wall which was clean, the back wall was all smudged up. (see photo) If I have guests staying in my house, I make sure everything in the room is in order and in top shape. I would have been totally embarrassed if this was my guest bedroom and I let a visiting friend use it.

Thank you very much for taking time in going through this email.

I got a reply from the GM this afternoon, and I do find the email a little bit off...
Date: Monday, May 27, 2013 11:11 AM
To:
Subject: RE: My recent stay at W Bangkok

Hello Mr. Kesler,

Thank you for your email. Sorry for the inconveniences during your stay. If you can please forward to me the email that you sent on May 7 as we have checked all of our email channels and cannot find any correspondence from you. Without this of course your arrival was a little confused.

I have personally checked the room that you stayed in which is a Wonderful King room which is 41 SQM. We consider this room to be quite comfortable for Bangkok. Please share with me what rooms you have stayed in here in Bangkok that are bigger as I would be curious to find out.

I understand that you had some issues with the finishing’s in the room and yes the grouting had been poorly finished by the construction and unfortunately had flaked off after we cleaned the room. The wall behind the bed is in fact Venetian polished plaster and is supposed to look hand finished which is different from the opposite wall which is a lacquered finish. This could be confusing if you are not familiar. Indeed the black crocodile skin is not perfect but the team did not feel it severe enough to put the room out of order. We have now done so to rectify the issues. In future please do request to move rooms if you are not completely satisfied.

We will also note in your profile that you prefer an earlier cleaning time.

Thank you again for your feedback.

All the best,

Nick
Old May 27, 2013, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of comments.

If the room is really 41 sq.m., that's not so small for a hotel room. Many are smaller. The faded crocodile skin probably wouldn't have bothered me, as I'm not sure how it's supposed to look. The grout falling into the bathtub would have bothered me. Why didn't you say something at the time?

Last summer, I was at SGS in a suite which has a separate toilet room. The next morning, I noticed that the wallpaper in that small room had a non-trivial blotchy red stain, maybe four inches long and a little over an inch wide. To be honest, I found that type of stain in that particular room to be a little gross. (I hadn't noticed on arrival because it was close to midnight, I had been flying for nearly 30 hours and I was exhausted.) The next morning I spoke with the Concierge desk, and they sent someone from Housekeeping up immediately to try to clean it, but it wouldn't come off. Later that day, two men from Engineering appeared to re-wallpaper the entire room.

If you're not happy with a room's condition, you should bring it to the attention of the hotel at the time and give them a chance to remedy the problem.
Old May 27, 2013, 5:37 am

The room was okay, but because of the lounge chair and coffee table it left only about 2-3 foot space to walk around, it was a little cramped. The other problem is the small closet so I had to use the folding rack. which we placed on the other side of the bed which I didn't use.

It was a very short trip, I was just on a mileage run, I actually noticed the tiles on my second and last night so I didn't bother to ask for a room transfer as I'll be checking out early the next day.

I just found the apology of the GM a little trite. I remember an incident before where I wrote a hotel about an unfortunate stay, the reply came from the Director of Rooms and it was very apologetic. The email from W Hotel felt as if the GM was justifying everything and that it was my fault that I did not request for a room change.

By the way the standard room at the Le Meridien which is only 36SQM felt more roomy than the room I stayed in. They even had what looked like a luggage rack (flat surface with metal rails) beside the bed. Who wants to sleep beside their luggage?!?

A couple of comments.

If the room is really 41 sq.m., that's not so small for a hotel room. Many are smaller. The faded crocodile skin probably wouldn't have bothered me, as I'm not sure how it's supposed to look. The grout falling into the bathtub would have bothered me. Why didn't you say something at the time?

Last summer, I was at SGS in a suite which has a separate toilet room. The next morning, I noticed that the wallpaper in that small room had a non-trivial blotchy red stain, maybe four inches long and a little over an inch wide. To be honest, I found that type of stain in that particular room to be a little gross. (I hadn't noticed on arrival because it was close to midnight, I had been flying for nearly 30 hours and I was exhausted.) The next morning I spoke with the Concierge desk, and they sent someone from Housekeeping up immediately to try to clean it, but it wouldn't come off. Later that day, two men from Engineering appeared to re-wallpaper the entire room.

If you're not happy with a room's condition, you should bring it to the attention of the hotel at the time and give them a chance to remedy the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.