Wiki Posts
Search

Marriotts near National Parks?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There is a new Residence Inn in Rapid City, SD about 30 min from Mt Rushmore
This hotel is Cat 7, which is sightly lower than the Cat 8 SHS Deadwood nearby. Interestingly the rate is like ~$75 for the coming Friday.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediator
This hotel is Cat 7, which is sightly lower than the Cat 8 SHS Deadwood nearby. Interestingly the rate is like ~$75 for the coming Friday.
It's November. I presume that's low season around there. But Marriott doesn't change Categories from season to season, so they have to set the Category based on high season.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mediator
Yep, and that Cat 8 in Deadwood is $70 this Friday. One might use points in peak times and cash in dead seasons.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Springhill Suites Moab now opening in Sept '17 instead of Jan '18. No category listed yet.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:13 pm

Residence Inn Visalia CA opening July '19. About 30-40 minutes from entrance to Sequoia National Park.

Springhill Suites Island Park Yellowstone - Idaho (about 35 miles from Yellowstone) - opening Sept '20

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fresno/Yosemite Int'l Airport - Cat 3 - open (although it's a stretch to put it as Yosemite as it's still a bit of a hike to get there)

Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakhurst Yosemite - Cat 3 - Jan '20
Old May 16, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
The title only says "National Parks", so I just want to add that both

Delta Hotels Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
Kananaskis Mountain Lodge, Autograph Collection

are both located literally within Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada

I've never been, but from a quick look the Delta Saguenay, Quebec, is located within an hour driving distance to TWO national parks (Pointe-Tallon & Monts-Valin)
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:12 pm

Fairfield Inn & Suites, Wenatchee, WA - Cat 4 - opening May '19 (near Cascades Nat'l Park)
Old May 17, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Residence Inn Visalia CA opening July '19. About 30-40 minutes from entrance to Sequoia National Park.
About 45 minutes to the Sequoia entrance station but 90 minutes to the sequoia trees in Giant Forest.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fresno/Yosemite Int'l Airport - Cat 3 - open (although it's a stretch to put it as Yosemite as it's still a bit of a hike to get there)
More useful for the Yosemite traveler arriving at Fresno late or departing on an early morning flight. It would be a 2 hour drive to Yosemite Valley.

However that airport property is only 1 hour from the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon NP.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:23 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Fairfield Inn & Suites, Wenatchee, WA - Cat 4 - opening May '19 (near Cascades Nat'l Park)
Not really if you are referring to North Cascades National Park. By the way, there is a Springhill Suites in the Wenatchee area already.

LAX
Old May 17, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by FATFlyer

1: About 45 minutes to the Sequoia entrance station but 90 minutes to the sequoia trees in Giant Forest.

2.More useful for the Yosemite traveler arriving at Fresno late or departing on an early morning flight. It would be a 2 hour drive to Yosemite Valley.

3. However that airport property is only 1 hour from the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon NP.
1. Yes, but whether you're coming from Fresno or Visalia it's still going to be about 45 minutes up to Sequoia once you get to the entrance. And there isn't a MAR property in Three Rivers.
2. Agree, which is why I said it was a stretch to name it Yosemite.
3. Agree, closer to Kings Canyon.

Originally Posted by LAX
Not really if you are referring to North Cascades National Park. By the way, there is a Springhill Suites in the Wenatchee area already.

LAX
Didn't know there was a SHS in Wenatchee now. When my sister was a nat'l park ranger for North Cascades based in Stehekin, I would fly to SEA, catch a flight to Wenatchee, stay overnight (at the time only HIE was the chain there) & then drive an hour to catch the Lady of the Lake to Stehekin, So to me an hour isn't that far if one is in central WA & wanted to get to that area of the North Cascades. Later she was based in Mablemount.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:21 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
1. Yes, but whether you're coming from Fresno or Visalia it's still going to be about 45 minutes up to Sequoia once you get to the entrance. And there isn't a MAR property in Three Rivers.

Didn't know there was a SHS in Wenatchee now. When my sister was a nat'l park ranger for North Cascades based in Stehekin, I would fly to SEA, catch a flight to Wenatchee, stay overnight (at the time only HIE was the chain there) & then drive an hour to catch the Lady of the Lake to Stehekin, So to me an hour isn't that far if one is in central WA & wanted to get to that area of the North Cascades. Later she was based in Mablemount.

Cheers.
I see. I might be off on the terminology, but North Cascades National Park is technically a part of what's called the North Cascades National Park Complex, which is also made up of the Lake Chelan National Recreation Area and Ross Lake National Recreation Area. I do have to admit I am not sure where the boundaries are for each of these units, though.

In any event, if I were to visit the park itself, I would probably stay in the Burlington, WA area where a Fairfield Inn is available.

As for Wenatchee, I don't know when the Springhill Suites was built, but it has been there for a few years at least.

LAX
Old May 18, 2019, 8:39 am

I wasn't disagreeing with any of your information just trying to help clarify for travelers.

For example, that extra 45 minute drive when staying in Visalia between the Three Rivers/Sequoia entrance gate to Giant Forest consists of 130 curves and 12 switchbacks. I don't mind drive but some people do. Coming from the Fresno side it is less curvy. So a question of personal preferences and choices.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by djp98374
The only ones close to National Parks are:

1. Fairfield Inn in Rapid City, SD (Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave, Badlands, Custer State Park, Native American Mounment currently being built)

2. Residence Inn in Durango and Courtyard and TownPlace in Farmington (Mesa Verde, Canyon D'Chiele, Mounment Valley, and Chaco Canyon)

3. Sante Fe (Bandaleir National Monument)

4. Flagstaff (Sedona, Numerous national monuments, Grand canyon)

5. Great Falls amd Missoula (Glacier National Park)

6. Idaho Falls (Yellowstone, Grand Teton) and Bozeman (Yellowstone)

7. Bend, Medford, OR (Crater Lake)

8. Redding (Lassen)

9. Fresno, and a few others (Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Yosemite)

10. Page, UT ( Colorado river, Glen Canyon NRA, Vermillion Cliffs NM, Escalente NP)

11. Puyallup & Yakima WA (Mt Rainier)

12. Ft Collins, Loveland, CO (Rocky Mountain NP)

To be honest if Hilton or Best western offered the 2 or 3 stay get free stay like what MArriott offers I would go with them because in many of these National Park towns there is a Hampton Inn and a Best Western.

Even Holiday Inn ha a few that are Park entry areas.

The other issues I have is the category system where any hotel in a potential decent area is cat 5 or higher.

Places I believe would support a Marriott just fine:

1. Estes Park
2. Outside Grand Canyon South Rim
3. closer inn to Yosemite
4. Jackson
5. West Yellowstone, MT
6. Kalispell, MT
7. Cortez, CO
8. Hilo, HI

There arent many National Parks in the east...the main ones of interest are Acadia, Smokeys, Shenandoah, Mammouth Caves, and Everglades.
Aren't there Marriotts in Kalispell and Whitefish, Montana -- very close to the west entrance of Glacier National Park?
Old May 18, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by FATFlyer
I wasn't disagreeing with any of your information just trying to help clarify for travelers.

For example, that extra 45 minute drive when staying in Visalia between the Three Rivers/Sequoia entrance gate to Giant Forest consists of 130 curves and 12 switchbacks. I don't mind drive but some people do. Coming from the Fresno side it is less curvy. So a question of personal preferences and choices.
Understood.

I used to live in the LA area, so while there's switchbacks & curves (which I liked ) after you get to the entrance of Sequoia from the Visalia side, it was still easier/faster to Sequoia going via Visalia & up the curves/switchbacks than driving onward to Fresno & then back-tracking through Kings Canyon to Sequoia.. My sister was based in Sequoia. If I was coming from a different direction then going through KC to get to S would make more sense.

Anyway, both Fresno & Visalia have MAR options that aren't that far from the two national parks.

Cheers.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:52 am

Having stayed at the SpringHill Suites in Springdale, UT just outside of Zion has to be the best hotel in the SHS brand. The rooms are well appointed, the lobby windows looking up at the red rocks and outdoor firepit make this a step well above the usual SHS property. The shuttle to Zion in front of the hotel make this feel like it's an on property hotel even though the Zion Lodge is also very nice having stayed in both places.

Yes there is a Kalispell SHS but haven't stayed there. The Many Glacier Inn and Lake MacDonald Lodge are excellent facilities. Glacier is incredible although go before the last glaciers melt (projected sometime next decade...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.