Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Dubai, UAE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Dubai, UAE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
JW Marriot Marquis Dubai - Best place for viewing 31/12 fireworks ?

Hi,

Am checking into Marriot Marquis Dubai on 31st late evening (around 9pm)..
Seems the downtown will be choc-a -bloc at that time so wondering how would be the views from the exec lounge for the 31st night fireworks ..

Believe it is 360 degrees view and I can clearly see Burj Khalifa from one of the sides right ?

Or is the Swimming pool a better place ?

Basically want to know the best location to view the fireworks from..

Thanks, A
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I will be there, too (arriving Tuesday night) and plan to brave the crowds outside the Burj. Any restaurant at Dubai Mall that faces the Burj should have a good view.

Bruce
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I will be there, too (arriving Tuesday night) and plan to brave the crowds outside the Burj. Any restaurant at Dubai Mall that faces the Burj should have a good view.

Bruce
aha.. great..
We will reach quite late and seems it would not make sense to go to Burj area that time specially since we have a 3 yr kid.
Restaurants at that area would be completely full I guess.. hope you already have a reservation..

Cheers
Abhi
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Update: My son and I took the hotel shuttle to Dubai Mall around 11 am on New Year's Eve. The entire area facing the Burj Khalifa was blocked off by steel barriers manned by hundreds of security people. No possible access without paying. To see the fireworks for free, you had to watch from miles away.

All the restaurants facing the Burj had tables set up in the blocked area, effectively enlarging the restaurants by quite a lot of outdoor space. Seats at tables with a view were going for a set price of 1500 dirham, about $400. This included free food and drinks, usually but not always from a special menu. When you reserved a seat, it was yours from about 8 pm until 3 am. You could come and go as you liked. The mall itself was jammed, but to get outside to any viewing area, you needed a wrist-band.

After checking out the various restaurants, their menus and views, my son and I decided to buy two seats at P.F. Chang's. They were serving their regular food menu, no alcoholic drinks and giving away items like a souvenir photo, party hats and noisemaker horns. The food was great, the service was even better, with the staff enjoying themselves as much as we were, and the view was simply extraordinary. My son took dozens of pictures and a video that I posted to Facebook. Take a look!

Around 1:30 am, we walked back to the JW Marriott Marquis, roughly a mile away. Even that late, the crowds were overwhelming, and while the Metro was still operating, the Burj Khalifa station was closed. People were walking to Business Bay, and that's right near the hotel, anyway.

The whole night was great. Dubai puts on a wonderful show, and the Mall handled the crowds beautifully. It was worth the money, for sure.

Bruce
Old May 8, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Whats the latest recommendation for Dubai hotels on points? Wife and I will be in Dubai for 7 days in either Nov or Dec (depending on when we can get award flights) and have 270k MR points we figure we may as well use if the resumptions are good.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mikelat
Whats the latest recommendation for Dubai hotels on points? Wife and I will be in Dubai for 7 days in either Nov or Dec (depending on when we can get award flights) and have 270k MR points we figure we may as well use if the resumptions are good.
JW Marriott Marquis Dubai
Old May 10, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83
JW Marriott Marquis Dubai
Got a rec from a friend who lived there for the Habtoor Grand? I couldn't find any info in this thread on it though. Anyone have experience or info on it?
Old May 10, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Got a rec from a friend who lived there for the Habtoor Grand? I couldn't find any info in this thread on it though. Anyone have experience or info on it?
I stayed at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai recently. It is a very good hotel. Rooms are excellent: very spacious and great bathroom setup. The service here is excellent, too. The hotel is very modern and is the tallest hotel in the world. Gold/Platinum Eliete will get access to 37th floor Executive Lounge which has breakfast, afternoon tea, and a happy hour with beer/wine in the evening. Lots of great on-site places to eat. There's an outdoor pool, too.

However, depending on when you are going to Dubai you can find this hotel priced at under $150/night. Right now some dates show on Expedia for $104, so you might even be able to Best Rate Guarantee and get rooms under $77/night. That means it is probably not a good use of 35,000 Marriott points per night as this is a Category 7.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
I stayed at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai recently. It is a very good hotel. Rooms are excellent: very spacious and great bathroom setup. The service here is excellent, too. The hotel is very modern and is the tallest hotel in the world. Gold/Platinum Eliete will get access to 37th floor Executive Lounge which has breakfast, afternoon tea, and a happy hour with beer/wine in the evening. Lots of great on-site places to eat. There's an outdoor pool, too.

However, depending on when you are going to Dubai you can find this hotel priced at under $150/night. Right now some dates show on Expedia for $104, so you might even be able to Best Rate Guarantee and get rooms under $77/night. That means it is probably not a good use of 35,000 Marriott points per night as this is a Category 7.
I had seen some prices around that ballpark for some dates, but the best I was able to find for either of the 2 7 night options where we can find award tickets were $260/night when looking at hotels.com, expedia, and orbitz.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:51 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
You might want to try the JW Marriott in Deira. I have found this hotel much better than the JW Marquis.

Rooms are much bigger, hotel is smaller with friendlier staff.
The GM is very proactive and you will see him most days in the lounge check to see if hotel guests have any issues.

Just back from a 7 day stay. Even the chef in the exec lounge came out to say hello addressing me by name (which was weird). Was told at one time they have your picture on the wall (of all Platinums) so as to make sure that you get personal service.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

JW Marriott vs JW Marriott Marquis - comparison May2015

Hi,

Within half year, I stayed at these 2 properties and just wanted to give my viewpoint comparing these 2 properties.

Location: JW Marriott due to its proximity to the metro station. JW Marquis is good for the shuttle to Dubai Mall, other than that, is is about 15 mins walking to the metro station in the heat.

Staff: JW Marriott - I feel that the staff here are more friendly and personal. At the Marquis, I felt that the place is too big and there are too many staff so this makes any more personal interaction less (unless you are a long term staying guest).

Exec. Lounge: From the Wow factor - the Marquis wins. For food choice especially evening canapes, the JW Marriott wins hands down. Basically at the Marquis, don't expect you can make an evening meal out of the offerings unless you had a late lunch. Breakfast was ok - more or less the same choices for both.

Room: JW Marquis wins again, more modern and with latest technology. Toilet was huge compared to the JW Marriott. There is a balcony, however you are not allowed to access it. No idea why it was built in the first place.

Elite treatment: I felt that I was more appreciated as an Elite member at the JW Marriott vs the JW Marquis. Checking in at the new Elite desk at the Marquis, was not even greeted as an Elite member. I even felt that the associate checking me in was being arrogant. At the JW Marquis, they forgot my arrival gift and as I had booked the room for 3 adults, was never offered an upgrade to a larger room (and I am so fed up of asking everytime). Room had a partial view to the Burj Khalifa. No additional welcome gift, i.e fruits, chocs or cakes. At the JW Marriott, besides the Plat gift, had fruits and chocs as part of welcoming gift already in the room (and was upgraded the last time without asking).

Pool: JW Marquis wins hands down here. Great view. In general this was the highlight of the whole hotel in my opinion. The whole area around the pool was a great place to lounge and relax especially in the evening.
The JW Marriott pool area is ok - plus is you can see planes coming into DXB.

I do admit both property have it's advantages and disadvantages, but for me, I do lean a bit more to the older JW Marriott compared to the JW Marquis. From value point of view, the JW Marriott is much better (if not with LNF-rate for the Marquis)

Hope this comparison helps.

Cheers!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Great comparison - thanks!

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:03 pm

Looking forward to stay in this hotel!
Do they arrange special occasion like birthday or proposal?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:26 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Within half year, I stayed at these 2 properties and just wanted to give my viewpoint comparing these 2 properties.

Location: JW Marriott due to its proximity to the metro station. JW Marquis is good for the shuttle to Dubai Mall, other than that, is is about 15 mins walking to the metro station in the heat.

Staff: JW Marriott - I feel that the staff here are more friendly and personal. At the Marquis, I felt that the place is too big and there are too many staff so this makes any more personal interaction less (unless you are a long term staying guest).

Exec. Lounge: From the Wow factor - the Marquis wins. For food choice especially evening canapes, the JW Marriott wins hands down. Basically at the Marquis, don't expect you can make an evening meal out of the offerings unless you had a late lunch. Breakfast was ok - more or less the same choices for both.

Room: JW Marquis wins again, more modern and with latest technology. Toilet was huge compared to the JW Marriott. There is a balcony, however you are not allowed to access it. No idea why it was built in the first place.

Elite treatment: I felt that I was more appreciated as an Elite member at the JW Marriott vs the JW Marquis. Checking in at the new Elite desk at the Marquis, was not even greeted as an Elite member. I even felt that the associate checking me in was being arrogant. At the JW Marquis, they forgot my arrival gift and as I had booked the room for 3 adults, was never offered an upgrade to a larger room (and I am so fed up of asking everytime). Room had a partial view to the Burj Khalifa. No additional welcome gift, i.e fruits, chocs or cakes. At the JW Marriott, besides the Plat gift, had fruits and chocs as part of welcoming gift already in the room (and was upgraded the last time without asking).

Pool: JW Marquis wins hands down here. Great view. In general this was the highlight of the whole hotel in my opinion. The whole area around the pool was a great place to lounge and relax especially in the evening.
The JW Marriott pool area is ok - plus is you can see planes coming into DXB.

I do admit both property have it's advantages and disadvantages, but for me, I do lean a bit more to the older JW Marriott compared to the JW Marquis. From value point of view, the JW Marriott is much better (if not with LNF-rate for the Marquis)

Hope this comparison helps.

Cheers!
Agree 100%. Rooms are a little tired but much larger than the Marquis.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Any recent updates

Looking to book for 7 nights in early October. Staying as a platinum and willing to split between two hotels. Open to suggestions for best value and experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.