Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Birmingham, AL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star

I am headed to a wedding in BHM in May and noticed there is a Marriott downtown, but all the rest are CY's, etc. The wedding is actually in Hoover, anyone know how far that is? Am I better off at the Marriott, or the CY in Hoover?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2004, 8:00 pm

The only full-service Marriott in BHM is not downtown but is located south-southeast of the downtown area (just south of the intersection of U.S. Highway 280 and I-459), and is only a 10 minute or so drive from Hoover via 280 and an interstate highway. The hotel is relatively new (about 3 or 4 years old), still fairly nice (maybe a 3 star rating), is reasonably priced, has a helpful staff, and is in a nice location. I would recommend this property over others, including the Wynfrey Hotel at the Galleria Mall in Hoover (which has been erroneously rated by some as a 4-star hotel.)
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:36 pm

I can at least tell you where NOT to stay in the Hoover area.

I last stayed at a Sheraton in that area that was under renovation at the time. I think they were upgrading it from 'really crappy' to 'less crappy'.

I stayed at the Wynfrey about four years ago. Overrated, but no better or worse than the average Marroitt. The price wasn't bad at the time. If you're so inclined, it's also attached to the mall, and the Sunday brunch was ample.

However, neither of these options will give you any Marriott Rewards points.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 3:10 am

Where is the wedding? Reception? Hoover is spread out quite a bit.

Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
BHM, AL recent reviews?

Ms. JPT and I anticipate a night or two in the BHM Marriott in the near future. Are there any recent reviews to be had? I've performed several searches, but I can't find any reviews in the last year or so.

I did find one post bemoaning the removal of certain amenities from the C-level rooms and the fact that the C-lounge wasn't open on weekends (no surprise there), but I would like to know about the service and serviceability of the hotel and rooms.

All information appreciated.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I've stayed there a few times, last June 08 when I stayed on a Monday then again Thursday within the same week.

CL was great and attentive but that was pre mass cutback. Visually very nice but tucked inside an Office park.

The Monday visit I very was impressed after getting in late due to flight delays where the FD clerk took our room service order right there since he knew the kitchen was closing - "they will wait" he said.

Thursday night I never received my arrival gift (of food) and it took a few calls and waiting some more before it came - I had an early flight and really wanted to get to bed.

Draw your own service conclusion. I like the place and would return.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Stayed here on a Thursday night in August. Definitely a nice property. CL was up to standards or slightly above. (Post-cost cutting standards, that is). Room was great...clean, well-appointed and very comfortable. Friendly, helpful, competent staff. Office park location, but 5-minute drive to loads of good restaurants, shopping, etc.

I'd absolutely recommend the place.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by RMC500
The only full-service Marriott in BHM is not downtown but is located south-southeast of the downtown area (just south of the intersection of U.S. Highway 280 and I-459), and is only a 10 minute or so drive from Hoover via 280 and an interstate highway. The hotel is relatively new (about 3 or 4 years old), still fairly nice (maybe a 3 star rating), is reasonably priced, has a helpful staff, and is in a nice location. I would recommend this property over others, including the Wynfrey Hotel at the Galleria Mall in Hoover (which has been erroneously rated by some as a 4-star hotel.)
Mrs. JPT and I stayed at this property last weekend. All things considered, I'd give it four (qualified) stars out of five.

Pros:
No hitches with rate, check-in, breakfast or the special package we booked
Staff apparently were expecting us and were prepared for our arrival
Package was delivered to our room (as requested) while we were out
Room request honored (and I've got no status any longer)
Good breakfast buffet, included in room rate
Maintenance guys (see below) really on the ball
Great front desk staff

Cons:
Not a bellman in sight
Shuttle to nearby mall was running on a very limited schedule

Mrs. JPT and I are planning a long Amtrak trip out west as part of a vacation (probably next year), but she wanted to get an idea of what to expect from Amtrak before committing to two days onboard. So I booked us a short weekend getaway on the Crescent from ATL-BHM, with return the next day. We booked the Shopper's Delight package at the BHM Marriott; it comes with breakfast for two and a $100 gift card for a nearby upscale shopping center. The hotel website also noted free shuttle transport to the shopping center. Of course, the more costly rate meant earning more points for the stay, too.

Check-in was quick and easy; we must have been the only guests staying on that special rate/package over the weekend, as the desk clerks fussed over us a bit. I haven't been treated that nicely since I was a Plat. I had ordered some travel-size amenities and snacks from Minimus.biz (q.v.) and had them shipped to the hotel. We were advised that the package was at the hotel, and the clerks said they'd have it delivered while we were out on Saturday evening. We had requested a room near the elevator, as I am mobility-impaired. We got the room, and I suspect it was a lightly-used floor, as we didn't see another guest there during our stay. We did see room service dishes outside one door, but that was the only sign of other human habitation on our floor while we were there.

The only issues we encountered at check-in were these: I had major surgery last fall and am still a bit weak and wobbly on my feet. Consequently we would have liked to have engaged the services of a bellman. Unfortunately, there were none. In fact, we didn't see one all weekend. We did see *guests* using the bell carts, but no bellmen. Also, the desk clerks told us that the shuttle service was operating on limited hours (no explanation given), so we simply cabbed it over to the shopping center so Mrs. JPT could burn up that gift card.

The gift card was already activated; we had no problem using it at any merchant, or at a restaurant in the shopping center. We (I should say Mrs. JPT) burned up the card at Aveda, Sephora and a BBQ place called Sweet Bones Alabama (get the fried green tomatoes with North Alabama white BBQ sauce). There is a Chuy's (the noted TX Tex-Mex restaurant) in the shopping center, but with a 90-minute wait, we opted instead for the BBQ. I have eaten at a Chuy's in Austin, but Mrs. JPT was sorely disappointed at not being able to feast on one of their 'big as yo face' burritos.

Our room, despite being hard by the elevator, was very quiet. In fact, we had to call Maintenance twice (once in the middle of the night), and I didn't hear the elevator either time.

Oh, yes -- the maintenance issue? I managed to plug up the can twice. I freakin' HATE low-flush toilets. But I should say that when I called Maintenance at 3 AM Sunday morning, a guy was at my door within five minutes and got the job done in less than three. ^:-:^:-:^

We had expected a standard breakfast in the hotel restaurant, but we were offered the complete buffet plus any special items (e.g. omelets, waffles, etc) that we wanted. The menu noted that breakfast as being $16 per person, so we agreed that the package was a good deal.

We found everything spotless and in good repair in the hotel, and were most pleased with the promptness and efficiency of the maintenance staff. In addition to the maintenance guys, we especially noted April in the restaurant and desk clerk Mika as bright stars. Both were friendly, personable and very quick and efficient.

We don't expect to be returning to BHM anytime soon, but if we did, we would definitely try to stay here, even despite the lack of bell staff.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
The full service is nice, but not down town. They have good Concierge people. They have a redheaded gal who works the front desk who is unfriendly.

The CY Downtown UAB is nice for a CY, but nothing too exciting.

The best is the Ross Bridge Renaissance on the SW side of town. You can book it a lot of times using the RSA rate...

Last edited by Thomas Hudson; Jan 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I've stayed at the FS BHM 2-3 times. Good property. Location isn't exactly handy to the airport or downtown, but it's in a good area with loads of nearby shopping/dining options within five minutes' drive (unless you hit a particularly brutal rush hour).
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott/Platinum Hilton/Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
The full service is nice, but not down town. They have good Concierge people. They have a redheaded gal who works the front desk who is unfriendly.

The CY Downtown UAB is nice for a CY, but nothing too exciting.

The best is the Ross Bridge Renaissance on the SW side of town. You can book it a lot of times using the RSA rate...
I agree with the Ross Bridge Renaissance. It is very nice, almost like a castle. It isn't along the interstate though so you have to drive a couple miles to get to it.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Stayed at the BHM FS last night. Actually stay there a few times a year. Didn't see anything recent. Thought I'd post...

Sometimes when a property does everything right, it's easy to take the property for granted. That's the case here. This property is consistently doing everything well. It's not the fanciest, most modern or trendiest hotel, but it's a great example of what should be expected at every Marriott.

The parking lot is always well maintained. Check-in is easy, and the front desk staff is always awesome. The lobby area is large, with lots of seating, and is set up where you can sit and do work or meet with colleagues easily. The pool and fitness area are always clean and in good order. The fitness center isn't large, but there never seems to be a wait.

The CL is one of the best in North America. It usually has more offerings than most CLs. There's lots of seating, two TVs and it's always adequately stocked. The Concierges are awesome. (And the guy whose usually there at night may the tallest concierge anywhere!)

This hotel has never dropped the ball on my feather free room request. I don't even call ahead anymore. They've never missed a wake-up call, a thirty-minute room service delivery or having a package waiting for me in my room when I check in.

The room are clean and quiet. Everything works the way it should. They have ample electrical outlets, the most modern Marriott connection devices and even an above-average television channel choices for a FS. (I can watch Morning Joe, which is sometimes not possible at FSs.)

Anyone thinking of staying in the BHM FS should do so without hesitancy, IMO.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Stayed at the Birmingham (BHM) Marriott for a wedding this past weekend.

Very friendly throughout the hotel.

Concierge Lounge is open Monday through Friday (as noted in the Wiki for lounges).

The "continental breakfast" coupon given to us for Saturday and Sunday is good for the full breakfast buffet and is not limited to a continental breakfast.

In addition to the buffet offerings, they will make omelettes, waffles, pancakes (if not already on the buffet) and eggs "your style" upon request.

Outstanding service in the restaurant. Best bacon we've seen in a long time in a restaurant for breakfast.

Several guests who were there for the wedding were complaining that rooms were "too cold" and were given small space heaters (yes, in August!). We were able to adjust our room temperatures just fine for sleeping (rooms were preset at 65 degrees but were motion sensor controlled).

Good access to other parts of Birmingham from the hotel's location: we went to the Science Center downtown and the Barber Motorcycle Museum as well as the big shopping area near the hotel (Summit).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I haven't stayed here in several years but it was outstanding then and I'm glad it continues to be so.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
While I'm glad y'all have had good stays, my last couple of stays were disappointing. I've switched to the SHS across highway. It's usually half the price and, aside from having no CL, it is cleaner, more modern, better run hotel. This used to be a favorite hotel for me, as my post three above this one indicates, but the new manager has quickly destroyed the place.

The CL has gone down hill. There are fewer food offerings. When I asked for a real coffee cup, instead of a Styrofoam cup, the attendant told me, "We don't do that anymore." When I elevated this, I finally got a mug, but c'mon, a CL attendant shouldn't have had that response.

On the same visit, in the evening, I asked the front desk if I needed to arrange for a cab ahead of time. The desk clerk said it would be taken care of. I called the next morning to be sure the cab would be there at noon. I used the word "cab" over and over. I wanted a cab. When I got to the front door, there was a limo. I wasn't told ahead of time and would have told them I couldn't show up at a customer site in a limo. The manager (new) told me he was giving me an upgrade and I should be happy. I pointed out the "upgrade" was being paid by me, not him, and I did not appreciate his being generous with my money. He then gave me the line of crap about the limo being the same price. Having taken a cab from the tire store down the street the day before, I knew the price the limo wanted to charge was not the same as a cab; it was almost double. He did offer to pay for the limo at that point, but the optics of showing up at a customer site in a limo wouldn't have been good. At this point, I was going to be late because they chose, without telling me, to order a limo, instead of the cab I wanted. Of course, they did this because someone was probably getting a kick back. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, so I've stopped staying in the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.