New Platinum - Quick ?

Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
New Platinum - Quick ?

I'm a new Platinum. Have a quick question - know there's been lots of threads on what you get/don't get.

I may try to do a quick MR to qualify for the UA 3x promo. I'm also trying to do this for as little as I can spend (well, V fares & above).

So was looking at hotels in AMS, FRA & LHR. Here's the ? - some of the rates are w/o bkfst or non-exec level room. Some (higher) include bkfst or are on exec level.

So - should I book the cheapest & assume I'll get upgraded - ie, either have access to lounge (assuming it's open on weekend) & can snag bkfst there, or that I'll get a bkfst cert, or should I just ante up extra $$ for either of those.

------------------
Sharon
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The general rule for MRs is to make it as inexpensive as possible, so just book the cheapest room and hope for the best.

On the other hand, how important is breakfast to you? Can you get by with a bagel and bottled water or do you need a full buffet? How important is being on the executive level? Can you stand a standard room on the 2nd floor or do you need the prestige of sticking your key in the elevator slot?

------------------
CO plat, UA prem; Marriott plat, Hyatt plat, Hilton gold, Starwood gold, Fairmont gold; Avis select, Hertz 5-star
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sharon,

I can't help answer your question as I'm not a Plat - however, I think most hotels lounges are closed on weekends and I think they will give you breakfast certs, but not 100% positive. If you end up going to AMS, the Renaissance is about a block from Central Station & is a really nice hotel (with a great restaurant for a legitimate breakfast). The AMS Marriott is a little further away and will require more expensive transportation to get to & from. However, if you're doing a quick turnaround MR to AMS, there's a Courtyard right by the airport. I'm doing a MR to AMS on NW in March and I'll be staying at that property. I've stayed at the Marriott & the Renaissance & the Renaissance is by far a nicer hotel than the regular Marriott & has a better "downtown" location.
daletabu likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hey, after being Silver for a while & just new Plat, I don't expect ANYTHING - and actually, after I posted this I realized I'm only gonna be there 24 hours (and worst case can put a granola bar in my luggage, although evening munchies would be nice & reduce the cost), so it may not matter. I think I'll book the least expensive & just hope for the best. But it's also good to know for future runs - especially if they're for a bit longer, maybe 2-3 days. Cheers.

------------------
Sharon
Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:17 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkiAdcock:
So - should I book the cheapest & assume I'll get upgraded - ie, either have access to lounge (assuming it's open on weekend) & can snag bkfst there, or that I'll get a bkfst cert, or should I just ante up extra $$ for either of those.

</font>
Congrat for your Plat status.

I would book the cheapest room. Lounge access was never a problem for me (= assuming it's open). I had always lounge access even if I didn't receive a room on the executive/lounge level floor. Sometimes the check-in agents forget to grant lounge access to the card key. I never had to fight for it if I had to go back to the reception after being not able to access the lounge. (Upgrades itself are different though.)

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.