Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Our "go-to" Cat 5 in San Diego is the Courtyard at Liberty Station. It's not a typical Courtyard and features a full restaurant in addition to the usual Bistro nonsense. The food is excellent. The hotel itself is in a complex of stores (even a full-service grocery store), galleries and restaurants in a park-like setting built on the old submarine base. Walking in the area is fascinating, dotted with historical markers and remnants of its former life. Views of airport take-offs across the bay and the water areas surrounding are excellent. Reviews on most sites tend to be well above average. The management is very hands-on and it shows. We're returning there later this year.

I'll just add that with a young one you may regret skipping Legoland. It was a must when our kids were younger.
It's actually the former Navy Training Center, like boot camp for sailors.The hotels are technically part of Liberty Station, but are a bit of a walk from the shops, galleries and most restaurants that you mention. There are a few restaurants, mostly fast food, close to the hotel. They might charge for parking, but they do offer a free shuttle to/from the airport.

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
I literally was just at the Sheraton San Diego resort and marina and it was super nice. I'm pretty sure its a cat 5 and while it was right near the airport it was also super close to the zoo (not more than 15 mins away) and is right on the beach and has great views of the ocean, Coronado island, and has some awesome pools on property. Highly recommend!

Edit: googled it to double-check and its actually called the Sheraton San Diego hotel & marina. But I confirmed it is a cat 5.
I never understand the love for that hotel. It's a hot mess and it's rating on the Marriott website reflects that (3.7 stars, which is the lowest of any of the downtown Marriott hotels). They charge a resort fee yet aren't a resort. There are plenty of much better hotels in San Diego than that Sheraton.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by skunker
It's actually the former Navy Training Center, like boot camp for sailors.The hotels are technically part of Liberty Station, but are a bit of a walk from the shops, galleries and most restaurants that you mention. There are a few restaurants, mostly fast food, close to the hotel. They might charge for parking, but they do offer a free shuttle to/from the airport.
I'll defer to your knowledge of the history, although all the plaques and historical markers near the mooring posts refer to WWII submarine crews. We've been there a few times, but I don't recall any fast food restaurants nearby. There were a number of more eclectic independent restaurants within very reasonable walking distance, as well as shops and the full-service supermarket mentioned previously. There were plans to build two additional hotels nearby - one of which was a Marriott brand IIRC. It's been 2 years, but we're heading back in September. Coupled with SD's perfect weather it's a great location and we've never had a bad stay. The hotel also supplied walking maps of the entire area.

Last edited by yyzflyer; Jul 9, 2019 at 5:15 pm Reason: my inability to spell and type at the same time
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I'll defer to your knowledge of the history, although all the plaques and historical markers near the mooring posts refer to WWII submarine crews. We've been there a few times, but I don't recall any fast food restaurants nearby. There were a number of more eclectic independent restaurants within very reasonable walking distance, as well as shops and the full-service supermarket mentioned previously. There were plans to build two additional hotels nearby - one of which was a Marriott brand IIRC. It's been 2 years, but we're heading back in September. Coupled with SD's perfect weather it's a great location and we've never had a bad stay. The hotel also supplied walking maps of the entire area.
Yes, the plagues do refer to lost subs and their crews, but the sub base is at the end of Point Loma. The "anti-sub" base is across the street from the hotel. You drive by a Starbucks, Smashburger, a Greek restaurant, and Primo's Mexican food to get to the hotel. The two new hotels just opened--one is a TownePlace Suites, the other is a Hampton Inn.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I stayed at the Courtyard El Cajon earlier this year. It's a newer property (built 2017) so the design is modern and everything is neat and clean. I found the rooms comfortable though bland. I received nothing special as a Titanium member-- no upgrade (yes I asked), and only the standard $10 breakfast voucher, which does not go far in the Bistro! The outdoor pool and hot tub are large and relaxing.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:36 pm
bcx

The new Marriott property is the TownePlace Suites San Diego Airport/Liberty Station. It's a Cat 4.

I'll also be in SD in September. As far as the Courtyard goes, I'm not thrilled about the $19 parking but it's only a couple days if we choose it.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by skunker

I never understand the love for that hotel. It's a hot mess and it's rating on the Marriott website reflects that (3.7 stars, which is the lowest of any of the downtown Marriott hotels). They charge a resort fee yet aren't a resort. There are plenty of much better hotels in San Diego than that Sheraton.
When we stayed there it was quite nice. I mean it wasn't anything like a four seasons but it was pretty good for what we paid. And as for the resort fee, it really wasn't a big deal--it may be $26/day, but gold elites and above get $13/day in credits to use on resort property, and I'm fine paying $13/day to have above average pools like the Sheraton does. But you are right it is a bit weird to be having a resort fee when they really aren't a resort. They should just bundle it into the room charge.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damon88

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to use your Cat 4 voucher. You won’t be in the room that much.

I would say the 4Points by SeaWorld but there seem to be a lot of negative reviews. That could just be from disappointed families who were expecting a nice vacation spot and ended up in an industrial neighborhood. The hotel is pretty new.

Another option would be the Residence Inn in Kearny Mesa- that is less than 15 minutes from BayHo- straight down Clairmont Mesa Blvd. It seems to have pretty good reviews.

And if you are traveling after April 2019 a new Cat4 is opening up in Liberty Station.also about 15 minutes away. Liberty Station is in Point Loma.

If you save save money by using your Cat4 certificate go have breakfast in Mission Beach at JRDN at Tower23 or Brockton Villa in La Jolla Cove - both overlooking the Ocean.
After breakfast you could take nice walks and soak up San Diego. In MB you could walk down the boardwalk. And La Jolla Cove is really pretty.
Finding parking is the only challenge.
Well, my stay happened (June 28-July 1) - we ended up going with the Residence Inn San Diego Central, the one on Kearny Mesa. It was... ok. We had a pleasant stay but I prefer something a bit more upscale and would probably try other properties next time.

Pro:
  • free parking
  • good location if you have a car
  • clean
Cons:
  • The room felt dated, and our room had a musty smell when you first enter it (it does fade after being in the room for a while). It's relatively well kept, but it does feel like it came from the 90s. The only sign of disrepair were some cracked tiles in the bathroom.
  • No elite recognition, no upgrade - I'm only Gold though so YMMV
  • Bathroom is tiny - the sink is outside, which isn't great if you don't want to wake up your partner in the middle of the night

Some comments, not necessarily good or bad:
  • they either attract a lot of parties or they're unusually strict about them - there's a sign right at reception saying no parties allowed, and when I was checking in the night manager was in the process of kicking someone out for noise. The only other time I've been at a hotel that explicit about noise it was an adults-only spa resort.
  • We did one breakfast there - they have a decent breakfast buffet as far as North American hotels go - eggs, bacon, waffle maker, assorted breads, yogurts, fruits. They stop serving breakfast really early though - 9 am on weekdays and 9:30 on weekends
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:13 am
bcx

Originally Posted by hindolio
Others may disagree, but the SD Zoo on one day and Balboa Park on another day sounds plenty to me. It is very easy to spend an entire day at the zoo and another at Balboa Park. There are several museums worth visiting as well as the Botanical Building and the Rose Garden (the California Tower is currently closed for seismic retrofit). The entire park is seriously big, so walking around and taking in the sights can easily fill a leisure visit.
If you still have free time to see other sights or want a meal before or during the above, Seaport Village is fun, Coronado Island is beautiful and Little Italy and Old Town are worthwhile visits as well. There are many other things to do - maybe others will chime in.
Would staying downtown be a better idea then? Is it suitable for a family with young children?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:59 pm

Just my opinion, but if you are staying in SD for 2 nights and will mostly be visiting Balboa Park and the SD Zoo within in, then almost anywhere in the surrounding area will be okay. The downtown areas, Old Town, Liberty Station, even Mission Valley. By car, the drive to and back will be 15 to 20 minutes. The closest Marriott property to the Zoo will still be about a 10 minute drive I believe.

I think downtown in general is suitable for families, although some streets are worse than others. Depends on what you if you intend to walk around a lot though I suppose. I suggest looking at properties first and then at the immediate areas. For example, I really like that Courtyard Liberty Station is in walking distance (less than a mile) of the Liberty Public Market. But some may not be interested in the Public Market. The Bayfront Springhill Suites and Residence Inn location is absolutely great for walking access to the water front areas including the Seaport Village. Hope that helps.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
While staying at a Marriott property in the downtown area _might_ be convenient depending on where you want to go and visit, it will certainly not be cheap from a daily parking perspective.

I would strongly suggest that if you don't need to stay in the downtown area, using the trolley to get in and out from stations where parking considerably less may be more affordable. Also, trying to find parking in the Gaslamp district can and usually is a bit of a pain.

David
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:25 am
bcx

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I’m leaning towards keeping my Courtyard Liberty Station reservation. Would downtown parking be considerably more than the CY’s $19 per night?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcx
Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I’m leaning towards keeping my Courtyard Liberty Station reservation. Would downtown parking be considerably more than the CY’s $19 per night?

Yup.
  • CY San Diego Downtown: $49/day valet only
  • Moxy SD/Gaslamp: $49/day valet only
  • Marriott Marquis: $10/hour self, $35/day self, $50/day valet
(and on...)

A big part of the problem is that downtown San Diego has built over most of the open lots that were where cars were parked before. There are parking structures but they're not any cheaper either.

David
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:16 am
bcx

Wow thanks for the info. Is this only downtown or is parking costly throughout the city?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcx
Wow thanks for the info. Is this only downtown or is parking costly throughout the city?
Rates are less elsewhere in SD area but not terribly cheaper:

Mission Valley: CY Hotel Circle wants $27/day; SHS wants $20/day; Marriott wants $29/day self or $39/day for valet
Carlsbad: Westin wants $18/day whether you park your own car or use the valet (and probably will also charge you a "Resort Fee"); CY offers complimentary but is 40+ minutes/30+ miles from downtown

David
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sometimes the Marquis and Gaslamp offer AAA rates that include parking. Very good deal.
markko likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.