Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jtp1947
RE: Coronado Resort fees:
Please note-Daily resort fee added to room rate-optional USD15 fee through April 6 2019, mandatory USD35 fee starting April 7 2019.
Not sure what that refers to, they've had a mandatory resort fee for years.

These have become difficult to avoid at the SPG/Marriott full service properties in San Diego.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure what that refers to, they've had a mandatory resort fee for years.

These have become difficult to avoid at the SPG/Marriott full service properties in San Diego.
Likely has to do with the current ongoing renovation - doubt that the property is terribly resort-like at the moment. Believe April aligns with their projected completion.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Has anyone been to SpringHill Suites San Diego/Oceanside? Any review of the hotel? The hotel charges $31 for valet parking (no self-parking available). Is there street parking available nearby? thanks.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Was invited this holiday weekend to attend a Maronite Festival at a church in El Cajon and booked the closest Marriott property, the Courtyard San Diego El Cajon. Booked two rooms for one night using the CC certs: both rooms were King with sleeping sofa on the top floor (4th floor). Was give a mini bottle of sparkling wine as a gift at check-in. As a Titanium, was given breakfast for all occupants (3 adults & 2 kids). Not sure if this is for everyone or a YMMV situation. Breakfast was good and the fried potatoes accompanying the egg dishes were delicious. They had some kind of Jazz night on Saturday evening and they gave us $30 credit to spend on libations. But we returned late, full, and exhausted from the festival and went straight to bed never to use the credit. Rooms were nicely appointed and overlooking downtown El Cajon and City Hall/PD. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was sufficient. Staff at FD and breakfast was nice and accommodating. The lobby area where the Bistro is located in very nice and spacious with plenty of comfortable seatings.

Overall, very nice addition to an area crowded with scuzzy Motel8s, Best Westerns, and Quality Inn type of properties!

Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:19 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
This is a bit off topic, but could be interesting to San Diego visitors. For years the only Sushi place in San Diego we have frequented is Sushi Ota in Pacific Beach (it makes a lot of "best in the US lists") We didn't think there was another Sushi restaurant that compares but we tried Hane Sushi on 5th Avenue downtown last night and it is excellent. We highly recommend it.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by damon88
This is a bit off topic, but could be interesting to San Diego visitors. For years the only Sushi place in San Diego we have frequented is Sushi Ota in Pacific Beach (it makes a lot of "best in the US lists") We didn't think there was another Sushi restaurant that compares but we tried Hane Sushi on 5th Avenue downtown last night and it is excellent. We highly recommend it.
Might also consider Saiko Sushi on Coronado Island. We had a Lyft driver who was born-and-raised San Diego and he highly recommended it, suggesting they somehow get dibs on fresh inbound fish. We tried it for our last meal prior to a late flight out and really enjoyed the sashimi. We only ordered one sushi roll and that wasn't our favorite - but the sashimi for sure was amazing. Good sake too. As for ambiance, it was nice over lunch since not many people were there on a weekday, but I can imagine it getting a bit hectic during the evenings/weekends (smallish interior).

Edit: A couple of SD Marriott reviews will be forthcoming - but I want to take some time to think that all through and right now have to run to make happy hour...
damon88 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Was give a mini bottle of sparkling wine as a gift at check-in. As a Titanium, was given breakfast for all occupants (3 adults & 2 kids). Not sure if this is for everyone or a YMMV situation. Breakfast was good and the fried potatoes accompanying the egg dishes were delicious. They had some kind of Jazz night on Saturday evening and they gave us $30 credit to spend on libations. But we returned late, full, and exhausted from the festival and went straight to bed never to use the credit...
Stayed here (Courtyard El Cajon) for one night this past week, because the location was perfect for where I needed to be. Room was fine (looked the same as yours but on third floor), although the AC was very noisy and the refrigerator did not work at all. The bed had a cheapish feel to it. At first I was concerned because the AC does not go below 68, but it is a forceful 68 so it was fine for sleeping.

Although I am also Titanium, I did not receive any of your "bonuses" -- no sparkling wine at check in, no free breakfast, and no credit for the bar. I was of course given the choice between welcome points and a $10 food/beverage credit, so I took the credit and spent it on breakfast, which it covered (most items are $8-10). Breakfast was fine.

I don't normally stay at Courtyard/Fairfield type places so my expectations were fairly low, and they were satisfied but not exceeded. I paid something like $189 for the night and felt that to be pretty expensive for the hard product, but everything else in the area was high that night as well.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:27 pm
bcx

We'll be in SD for 2 days post-cruise with a toddler in tow, and will rent a car. We'll be going to the zoo + Balboa Park, but not sure about what to do the rest of the time. Perhaps check out La Jolla or Coronado too. Not interested in SeaWorld or Legoland. Any recommendations for a Cat 5 that's convenient and has a nice view?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by bcx
We'll be in SD for 2 days post-cruise with a toddler in tow, and will rent a car. We'll be going to the zoo + Balboa Park, but not sure about what to do the rest of the time. Perhaps check out La Jolla or Coronado too. Not interested in SeaWorld or Legoland. Any recommendations for a Cat 5 that's convenient and has a nice view?
Our "go-to" Cat 5 in San Diego is the Courtyard at Liberty Station. It's not a typical Courtyard and features a full restaurant in addition to the usual Bistro nonsense. The food is excellent. The hotel itself is in a complex of stores (even a full-service grocery store), galleries and restaurants in a park-like setting built on the old submarine base. Walking in the area is fascinating, dotted with historical markers and remnants of its former life. Views of airport take-offs across the bay and the water areas surrounding are excellent. Reviews on most sites tend to be well above average. The management is very hands-on and it shows. We're returning there later this year.

I'll just add that with a young one you may regret skipping Legoland. It was a must when our kids were younger.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:15 am
bcx

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Our "go-to" Cat 5 in San Diego is the Courtyard at Liberty Station. It's not a typical Courtyard and features a full restaurant in addition to the usual Bistro nonsense. The food is excellent. The hotel itself is in a complex of stores (even a full-service grocery store), galleries and restaurants in a park-like setting built on the old submarine base. Walking in the area is fascinating, dotted with historical markers and remnants of its former life. Views of airport take-offs across the bay and the water areas surrounding are excellent. Reviews on most sites tend to be well above average. The management is very hands-on and it shows. We're returning there later this year.

I'll just add that with a young one you may regret skipping Legoland. It was a must when our kids were younger.
Thanks for the suggestion. Coincidentally that’s the property I currently have booked and I wasn’t sure how convenient it was to get to places. Do you know if they offer free parking?

I’ll keep the Legoland suggestion in mind too!

Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Since they're technically an airport hotel I doubt they'd have free parking. Unfortunately we've always arrived by shuttle or taxi so can't be sure.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Originally Posted by bcx

Thanks for the suggestion. Coincidentally that’s the property I currently have booked and I wasn’t sure how convenient it was to get to places. Do you know if they offer free parking?

I’ll keep the Legoland suggestion in mind too!

Parking is $19 a night.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by bcx
...We'll be going to the zoo + Balboa Park, but not sure about what to do the rest of the time...
Others may disagree, but the SD Zoo on one day and Balboa Park on another day sounds plenty to me. It is very easy to spend an entire day at the zoo and another at Balboa Park. There are several museums worth visiting as well as the Botanical Building and the Rose Garden (the California Tower is currently closed for seismic retrofit). The entire park is seriously big, so walking around and taking in the sights can easily fill a leisure visit.
If you still have free time to see other sights or want a meal before or during the above, Seaport Village is fun, Coronado Island is beautiful and Little Italy and Old Town are worthwhile visits as well. There are many other things to do - maybe others will chime in.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
The Hop On Hop Off trolley is another option to get an overview of the area. Find they give insight to where I want to explore more and a little history of the area. Total loop is maybe 2-3 hours if you don’t get off anywhere.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by bcx
I literally was just at the Sheraton San Diego resort and marina and it was super nice. I'm pretty sure its a cat 5 and while it was right near the airport it was also super close to the zoo (not more than 15 mins away) and is right on the beach and has great views of the ocean, Coronado island, and has some awesome pools on property. Highly recommend!

Edit: googled it to double-check and its actually called the Sheraton San Diego hotel & marina. But I confirmed it is a cat 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.