Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:21 pm

If you're staying on Coronado, some things to consider:

1. Base/Bridge traffic
Expect a lot of traffic coming onto the base, lasts till 9-930 am. Expect that same traffic exiting the base, from 230-3pm to 6 (sometimes 7pm). If there's an accident on the bridge, expect an even longer delay. If there's a carrier coming into port, delay. Just about anything can cause traffic on that island since you have a very large employer and very few ways to get in/out of the island. Coronado has their own police department. And since there's hardly any violent crime on Coronado (nevermind what goes on the base), police are mostly looking to catch traffic/parking violators. That means you should really stick to driving the speed limit and coming to a full and complete stop at stop signs.

2. Ferry
To combat the amount of cars coming onto the island, the city of Coronado and SD offer free ferry rides during commuting hours: https://www.flagshipsd.com/sites/def...e-November.pdf If you plan on visting the downtown area during the week, consider taking the ferry over before 9am. It's a free ride over and you'll get a ticket for a free ride back. Monday-Friday only obviously.

If you don't mind Hilton, consider Hotel La Jolla. I've had visitng co-workers stay there and it's a decent location with close proximity to the beach (10 minute walk) and the La Jolla shores area (5 minute walk), not to mention downtown La Jolla (10 minute drive or 15-20 minute bus ride depending on where you get dropped off). Getting to the hotel is less stressful, even with traffic, than leaving the hotel.
Kalboz and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Thanks very much! I ultimately booked into the Marriott resort on Coronado (just did that this morning). I put in for SNAs to upgrade to a cottage and it looks as though they will hopefully complete a renovation in March prior to our arrival in June. I did look into the luxury side of the Del prior to finalizing my decision, but did not find it to be the type of place I'm willing to invest north of $1k/night into (although I certainly intend to pay a visit and see if my mind changes!).
Do the Brunch Buffet at Crown Room at the Del its pricey but very nice. Lots of little cafe's and bistros in the Village of Coronado.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am looking at a long weekend stay in the San Diego area. Ideally I would use my cat 1-4 voucher, but I'm open to paying to stay at a cat 5 hotel too. I am there to visit a relative living in the Bay Ho area - which of the Marriotts in the area would you recommend?

Right now considering:
Marriott La Jolla (cat 5)
Sheraton La Jolla (cat 5)
Residence Inn Del Mar (cat 4)
Four Points by Sheraton San Diego/SeaWorld (cat 4)

Are there others I should look at? I imagine I'd be renting a car so parking charges would be a factor too.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:44 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arnel
I am looking at a long weekend stay in the San Diego area. Ideally I would use my cat 1-4 voucher, but I'm open to paying to stay at a cat 5 hotel too. I am there to visit a relative living in the Bay Ho area - which of the Marriotts in the area would you recommend?

Right now considering:
Marriott La Jolla (cat 5)
Sheraton La Jolla (cat 5)
Residence Inn Del Mar (cat 4)
Four Points by Sheraton San Diego/SeaWorld (cat 4)

Are there others I should look at? I imagine I'd be renting a car so parking charges would be a factor too.
I am a long term La Jolla resident familiar with most of the legacy SPG properties.

If you are looking to experience a San Diego feeling you may be disappointed with both of the “La Jolla” hotels. Both are right near the I-5 Freeway and Westfield Mall in an area more properly referred to as University City. I would consider both business hotels more than vacation locations. Just be aware that they are north of the area locals consider La Jollla, right by the freeway in a busy commercial area (also near UCSD and Scripps Hospital)

The Residence Inn of La Jolla (Cat 5) though in the same general area is actually a little closer to the ocean. It would be a pretty easy drive to BayHo.

If water views are important the Marquis looks interesting but it is a Cat 6 (I have never stayed there). The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina was decent many years ago but my understanding is it has gone downhill. It would be a convenient drive though and a lot of rooms have water views.

I love the Del Mar area but have not tried that RI. The drive to/from Del Mar could easily entail bad traffic.

I have not visited the Four Points Seaworld but I have heard from disappointed visitors that it is in an industrial area and only worth staying at if you are actually visiting Seaworld. It’s a shame because that would be very convenient to Bayho and it is a newer hotel.

Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damon88

I am a long term La Jolla resident familiar with most of the legacy SPG properties.

If you are looking to experience a San Diego feeling you may be disappointed with both of the “La Jolla” hotels. Both are right near the I-5 Freeway and Westfield Mall in an area more properly referred to as University City. I would consider both business hotels more than vacation locations. Just be aware that they are north of the area locals consider La Jollla, right by the freeway in a busy commercial area (also near UCSD and Scripps Hospital)

The Residence Inn of La Jolla (Cat 5) though in the same general area is actually a little closer to the ocean. It would be a pretty easy drive to BayHo.

If water views are important the Marquis looks interesting but it is a Cat 6 (I have never stayed there). The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina was decent many years ago but my understanding is it has gone downhill. It would be a convenient drive though and a lot of rooms have water views.

I love the Del Mar area but have not tried that RI. The drive to/from Del Mar could easily entail bad traffic.

I have not visited the Four Points Seaworld but I have heard from disappointed visitors that it is in an industrial area and only worth staying at if you are actually visiting Seaworld. It’s a shame because that would be very convenient to Bayho and it is a newer hotel.

Thank you for the insight! I actually plan to spend the majority of my time with my relatives, so I guess what's important:
1) accessibility to BayHo. Getting stuck in traffic to/from Del Mar isn't ideal, so that's good to know.
2) places nearby to get breakfast. I expect to have lunch and dinner with my relatives (we'll only be there for 2 days, maybe 2.5)
3) a reasonably nice hotel experience (hard and soft products) - ideally the hotel would have been built or renovated in the last decade.

I'm not too concerned about sightseeing. My relative recommended the Sheraton based on its location, but was hoping for some cat 1-4 options so I can use my voucher. I'm only a Gold, so the lounge is irrelevant.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Thank you for the insight! I actually plan to spend the majority of my time with my relatives, so I guess what's important:
1) accessibility to BayHo. Getting stuck in traffic to/from Del Mar isn't ideal, so that's good to know.
2) places nearby to get breakfast. I expect to have lunch and dinner with my relatives (we'll only be there for 2 days, maybe 2.5)
3) a reasonably nice hotel experience (hard and soft products) - ideally the hotel would have been built or renovated in the last decade.

I'm not too concerned about sightseeing. My relative recommended the Sheraton based on its location, but was hoping for some cat 1-4 options so I can use my voucher. I'm only a Gold, so the lounge is irrelevant.
Where is BayHo in San Diego?

Traffic in San Diego is plain horrible but if you don't travel between 0600-0900 and 1500-1900 you wont have much issues with traffic. Plus if you plan NOT to eat at the hotel there are always plenty of places to eat breakfast close to hotels, just ask the hotel staff...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:16 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Where is BayHo in San Diego?

BayHo is in between La Jolla and Pacific Beach on the West and Clairmont on the East about 5 miles from the beach.

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:45 am
SPG 5+ Badge

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to use your Cat 4 voucher. You won’t be in the room that much.

I would say the 4Points by SeaWorld but there seem to be a lot of negative reviews. That could just be from disappointed families who were expecting a nice vacation spot and ended up in an industrial neighborhood. The hotel is pretty new.

Another option would be the Residence Inn in Kearny Mesa- that is less than 15 minutes from BayHo- straight down Clairmont Mesa Blvd. It seems to have pretty good reviews.

And if you are traveling after April 2019 a new Cat4 is opening up in Liberty Station.also about 15 minutes away. Liberty Station is in Point Loma.

If you save save money by using your Cat4 certificate go have breakfast in Mission Beach at JRDN at Tower23 or Brockton Villa in La Jolla Cove - both overlooking the Ocean.
After breakfast you could take nice walks and soak up San Diego. In MB you could walk down the boardwalk. And La Jolla Cove is really pretty.
Finding parking is the only challenge.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you save save money by using your Cat4 certificate go have breakfast in Mission Beach at JRDN at Tower23
Tower 23 is Pacific Beach. I agree the breakfast is excellent.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:08 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
Tower 23 is Pacific Beach. I agree the breakfast is excellent.

Haha Too early in the morning. Of course. I believe it officially becomes PB at PB Drive.

My business is focused in Mission Beach, Pacific Beach & La Jolla since 1978 and I walk the boardwalk all the time.

Back to local recommendations:
Tower23 is also a great spot for a nightcap.

And I was trying to think of more good SD breakfast spots to recommend. If OP does end up staying in Kearny Mesa the Original House of Pancakes (NOT to be confused with IHOP) has IMHO the highest quality most delicious breakfast in the city. It's about a mile from the Residence Inn. No special ambiance or location (it's in a busy strip mall) but the food is fantastic. Most visitors though seem to enjoy the breakfast spots with a view.

Speaking of strip malls our best Sushi is in a little strip mall on the border of PB and Clairmont. Sushi Ota
It makes a lot of "best sushi" lists. No frills, just simple, fresh sushi.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...shi-in-america

https://welovejapanesefood.com/10-be...united-states/

Eta: One more thing. Next week Jan 20- Jan 27 is San Diego Restaurant Week. There are a lot of great values if anyone is town
then. And these are not just funky places but some of San Diego's best restaurants.

https://www.sandiegorestaurantweek.com/
Kacee and rny321 like this.

Last edited by damon88; Jan 16, 2019 at 5:02 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
And I was trying to think of more good SD breakfast spots to recommend. If OP does end up staying in Kearny Mesa the Original House of Pancakes (NOT to be confused with IHOP) has IMHO the highest quality most delicious breakfast in the city. It's about a mile from the Residence Inn. No special ambiance or location (it's in a busy strip mall) but the food is fantastic. Most visitors though seem to enjoy the breakfast spots with a view.
I'd go for Snooze over OPH, actually. The lines at the La Jolla location are more manageable if nothing else.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Thanks very much! I ultimately booked into the Marriott resort on Coronado (just did that this morning). I put in for SNAs to upgrade to a cottage and it looks as though they will hopefully complete a renovation in March prior to our arrival in June. I did look into the luxury side of the Del prior to finalizing my decision, but did not find it to be the type of place I'm willing to invest north of $1k/night into (although I certainly intend to pay a visit and see if my mind changes!).
Booked this resort for an upcoming stay in March... put in SNA's for an upgrade to a Cottage.

The Suites look decent too but the Cottage is the largest option available.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by navatwal
Booked this resort for an upcoming stay in March... put in SNA's for an upgrade to a Cottage.
Very much looking forward to your report!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Very much looking forward to your report!
For sure CCIE_Flyer! (From one IE to another)

i usually stay at the Grand Hyatt in San DIEGO FOR CLUS, have my stay for June confirmed there, last time I was there a few years ago Chuck was staying there too!
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
RE: Coronado Resort fees:

Please note-Daily resort fee added to room rate-optional USD15 fee through April 6 2019, mandatory USD35 fee starting April 7 2019. Plus $35 valet. $70 before you even get to your room. I have no idea what is included in the resort fee, however, most of it is what an elite member would already be entitled to. The Marquis resort fee is $29 but at least it includes $10 off Fresh Bites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.