Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
None of them,

RI- Mission Valley. You are close to Downtown, Sea World, Zoo, Beach's and if you are going to have a Car, you can drive to LegoLand.

The other RI's you mentioned are WAY out of the way to the Zoo, Sea World, and Downtown.
OP wants to use certs/points, though, which I presume are limited to category 5 and below.

Anyway, the Sorrento Mesa one is still a reasonable distance to those places IMO, assuming you're driving outside of the normal commute times. I've never stayed there but I pass by it every day on the way to/from work and it looks nice enough outside. There's a Vons (Safeway), Smart and Final and a Grocery Outlet a few miles east of there on that same street for groceries and such, too.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
OP wants to use certs/points, though, which I presume are limited to category 5 and below.

Anyway, the Sorrento Mesa one is still a reasonable distance to those places IMO, assuming you're driving outside of the normal commute times. I've never stayed there but I pass by it every day on the way to/from work and it looks nice enough outside. There's a Vons (Safeway), Smart and Final and a Grocery Outlet a few miles east of there on that same street for groceries and such, too.
I understand what he wanted to do, but Sorento Mesa is geared toward business travelers, not family. If the OP wants to use Certs then I would pick Oceanside (it is a way from San Diego but it's more kid friendly)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If the OP wants to use Certs then I would pick Oceanside (it is a way from San Diego but it's more kid friendly)
That can easily be an hour's drive from San Diego proper. Traffic on the 5 through north county is frequently awful.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
That can easily be an hour's drive from San Diego proper. Traffic on the 5 through north county is frequently awful.
I'm fully aware, this is why I said, RI-Mission Valley. Even if he goes to RI- Del Mar the drive is horrible. To be clear, I would forgo the Cert and pay with points and cash to say in Mission Valley.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
Thank you for the feedback. I'll look into RI Mission Valley or Sorrento Messa. Appreciate the feedback.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I don't review properties very much but I did want to drop a note about a recent stay at the RI - Gaslamp downtown. I took my 6 year old to the Braves-Padres games last week. The hotel is 2 blocks from the stadium. City parking was avaliable for about $1/hour at a garage right in between the hotel and the stadium (vs like $50 at the hotel for Valet (only).

Booked the room on points (think cat 7), and was upgraded to a one bedroom queen suite at check in. Hotel had a small pool on the 3rd floor where I was able to find a shaded seat even though it was almost 11 am. Breakfast was pretty solid for a RI, with two waffle machines and while it was susposed to close at 0900, they kept it open about 15 minutes late (as they were cleaning up slowly) since we (and another couple) got down there at about 0855. Requested 1600 checkout at checkin and had no issues.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:56 pm

I have the same dilemma as aolj above. Trying to use a 7 night cert for the best family trip. Will be going to Zoo/Balboa Park (2 days), Legoland (1 day) Torrey Pines/Birch/La Jolla (2 days) and either downtown or Sea World for the final day.

Priorities are a suite property and breakfast, so likely either SHS or RI. I have a Cat. 5 7 night cert but have plenty of SPG points to upgrade. I'm Marriott Gold.

Options for my dates seem to be:

1. RI Scripps Poway
2. SHS Scripps Poway
3. RI Del Mar
4. RI Mission Valley
5. SHS Mission Valley

Question is, is it worth it to pay the upgraded points cost + parking fees to stay at Del Mar or Mission Valley v. Poway? I looked at reviews and they would all likely pass our standards.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
I have the same dilemma as aolj above. Trying to use a 7 night cert for the best family trip. Will be going to Zoo/Balboa Park (2 days), Legoland (1 day) Torrey Pines/Birch/La Jolla (2 days) and either downtown or Sea World for the final day.

Priorities are a suite property and breakfast, so likely either SHS or RI. I have a Cat. 5 7 night cert but have plenty of SPG points to upgrade. I'm Marriott Gold.

1. RI Scripps Poway
2. SHS Scripps Poway
3. RI Del Mar
4. RI Mission Valley
5. SHS Mission Valley

Question is, is it worth it to pay the upgraded points cost + parking fees to stay at Del Mar or Mission Valley v. Poway? I looked at reviews and they would all likely pass our standards.
I did not like SHS Mission Valley. It's surrounded by freeways and pretty loud on both sides of the building. The area in general is not very nice and the streets are all messed up because of the multiple freeways coming through. It is a super central location - I guess that's the one advantage of basically being in the middle of a massive freeway interchange.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Looked at the RI- La Jolla on Gilman Dr? It is the original type of RI building with outside stairs and they have the large penthouse suites available for extra points. Quiet residential area yet still near I-5. Only drawback for me is the ridiculous $18/nite parking fee.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
Looked at the RI- La Jolla on Gilman Dr? It is the original type of RI building with outside stairs and they have the large penthouse suites available for extra points. Quiet residential area yet still near I-5. Only drawback for me is the ridiculous $18/nite parking fee.
Yes I did, but they only have studio kings available that they say cannot accommodate a family of four. No executive or family suites available on the web site.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

1. RI Scripps Poway
2. SHS Scripps Poway
3. RI Del Mar
4. RI Mission Valley
5. SHS Mission Valley

Forget Poway it is out of the way for anything in San Diego (Poway is in the north country of San Diego) Del Mar is between San Diego and Carlsbad Ieggo land) Mission Valley is convenient to Sea World, Zoo, Downtown San Diego, Beaches, but it's about an hour drive to Leggo Land. If it was me, I would stay in Mission Valley at the RI, breakfast has always been solid for me.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:38 pm

The two properties in Poway are very close to the 1-15 --- so not as far away as you might think for Poway. The RI is the better of the two. Nothing exciting in that area, but not bad. I don't think the premium for staying in Del Mar is justified for your itinerary. Mission Valley might be your best bet for central location (but don't necessarily count Poway out).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:17 am

We went with the Courtyard in Del Mar. It broke both my rules (no suite, no breakfast) but its walking-distance location to the beach sold us for our extended stay. It will allow us to go to the beach in the evenings after activities without too much hassle. Hoping to get some free parking or maybe an upgrade with my Gold status but I'll be fine with neither.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pqflyer
The two properties in Poway are very close to the 1-15 --- so not as far away as you might think for Poway. The RI is the better of the two. Nothing exciting in that area, but not bad. I don't think the premium for staying in Del Mar is justified for your itinerary. Mission Valley might be your best bet for central location (but don't necessarily count Poway out).
You might be forgetting that when people are asking about places to say they are coming to San Diego for vacation and Poway is just too far away from all the attraction.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

You might be forgetting that when people are asking about places to say they are coming to San Diego for vacation and Poway is just too far away from all the attraction.
I would apply similar logic to Mission Valley. I would never stay in those properties for vacation - not because of distance but because the area is so unappealing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.