Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 25, 21, 12:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 9, 20, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Have a stay in San Diego next month and planning to burn some points. I'm trying to decide between two nights at the Hotel Republic/Autograph Collection (60,000pts/stay) or the Marriott Marquis (80,000pts/stay). Personally, I'm leaning towards Hotel Republic. Is there anything about the Marquis that would make it worth the extra 10k/night?
Pre-Covid, pool, fitness center, and waterfront location. Note that MM charges a destination fee, Republic does not. No idea how COVID is currently impacting both properties' products, except that as a convention property, I suspect MM is operating at very low capacity which is generally not a positive.
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Pre-Covid, pool, fitness center, and waterfront location. Note that MM charges a destination fee, Republic does not. No idea how COVID is currently impacting both properties' products, except that as a convention property, I suspect MM is operating at very low capacity which is generally not a positive.
Just noticing that fee. Well, that eliminates that option immediately.
Old Oct 10, 20, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I ate at Roys restaurant last Sunday, which is part of the Marquis property and was surprised by ow may lights were on in the hotel rooms.
Old Oct 10, 20, 6:59 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Have a stay in San Diego next month and planning to burn some points. I'm trying to decide between two nights at the Hotel Republic/Autograph Collection (60,000pts/stay) or the Marriott Marquis (80,000pts/stay). Personally, I'm leaning towards Hotel Republic. Is there anything about the Marquis that would make it worth the extra 10k/night?
I stayed at the Republic a month or so ago. Nice property in a good location (walking distance to Little Italy and itís myriad restaurants.)
Hotel had been stripped of amenities; no in-room coffee makers or water bottles. Lounge, bar, restaurant are closed. As long as you are expecting more of a Motel 6 experience than that of a ďfull serviceĒ property, youíll be fine.
Old Oct 10, 20, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sabai View Post
no in-room coffee makers
This brilliant idea must have originated at Marriott corporate or been spread among Marriott franchise owners . . . I've seen it only at Marriotts.
Old Oct 11, 20, 4:55 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, UA-PP, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-1K
Just noticing that fee. Well, that eliminates that option immediately.
Fee is ridiculous and hard to use at the two venues allowed. The pool was full of people and didnít find a parking space until the very top floor of the garage. I was surprised how many people were at the MM
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 21, 1:01 pm

Deciding between Autograph collection San Diego and The Westin San DiegoHi everyone I need some help. So I currently have a reservation at the autograph collections hotel for next week. Right now they have us in the Executive Corner Larger Guest room, 1 King, City view, Corner room.

But I wanted to know its it better I stay with what I got, or take a look at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Corner? We are just going down for the 1 night to use up the free night certificate. Just relax for the night and take my son out for some fun for his 7th birthday and get the best/ biggest room we can for our stay.

Thanks
Old Mar 13, 21, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brabb12 View Post
Deciding between Autograph collection San Diego and The Westin San DiegoHi everyone I need some help. So I currently have a reservation at the autograph collections hotel for next week. Right now they have us in the Executive Corner Larger Guest room, 1 King, City view, Corner room.

But I wanted to know its it better I stay with what I got, or take a look at the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Corner? We are just going down for the 1 night to use up the free night certificate. Just relax for the night and take my son out for some fun for his 7th birthday and get the best/ biggest room we can for our stay.

Thanks
Havenít stayed at the Westin, but I stayed at the Republic (Autograph Collection) back in November. It was fine, nothing memorable but decent enough. If you want to be near Gaslamp though, itís a bit of a hike if youíre planning to walk it. Definitely doable, but itís about 15~25 minutes depending on how quickly you walk, with a 7y/o may be a bit challenging. Easy Uber ride though.
brabb12 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 21, 10:46 pm

Havenít stayed at the Westin, but I stayed at the Republic (Autograph Collection) back in November. It was fine, nothing memorable but decent enough. If you want to be near Gaslamp though, itís a bit of a hike if youíre planning to walk it. Definitely doable, but itís about 15~25 minutes depending on how quickly you walk, with a 7y/o may be a bit challenging. Easy Uber ride though.
. What type of room did you have?
Old Mar 14, 21, 9:55 am

If you want to be near Gaslamp though, itís a bit of a hike if youíre planning to walk it. Definitely doable, but itís about 15~25 minutes depending on how quickly you walk, with a 7y/o may be a bit challenging. Easy Uber ride though.
I would think with a 7 year old, the waterfront would be the more appealing attraction, and the Republic is much closer to that. I also think you'll have more have a homeless issue at the Westin and adjacent Horton Plaza. I'd recommend the Springhill Bayfront, except it's a 6 and looks like OP is targeting 5's.

Note as well that the Westin charges a destination fee.
cmd320 and brabb12 like this.
Old Mar 15, 21, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brabb12 View Post
. What type of room did you have?
It was a pretty standard king room. No notable upgrade, no great view, even as a Titanium. In retrospect I donít remember why I didnít use a couple SNAs. I want to say the SNA rooms were pretty lackluster looking and thatís why I didnít bother trying for any.
brabb12 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 10:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Taking a staycation watching a game at Petco, gonna use a 35k cert. Between Courtyard Inn Gaslamp and Residence Inn Gaslamp, which is better for plats?
Old Apr 27, 21, 3:12 pm

I have a Cat 5 7 night voucher that is going to expire in August and i'm not going to bank on the fact it will be extended further. The Wife and I are considering staying in the San Diego area and work from the hotel to break away from the monotony of being home. Our plan was to stay in town for a week that will have a comfortable place to work and also have some things to do around town while we are off or on the weekend. I was considering hotels in the Gaslamp district such as the Courtyard or Residence Inn. I would appreciate some feedback on some good Cat 5 hotels that would be worth staying at and is walking distance to good restaurants.
Old Jun 22, 21, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Is the Towneplace Airport/Liberty Station walkable from DL arrivals with just a rollerboard? I am planning a quick overnight (either 7pm arrival or 11pm arrival, still TBD if I connect via LAX or ATL) with an early departure the next morning (630am). I see that the hotel shuttle is not currently running but it's the only Marriott that is at or below 35k points so qualifies for an existing certificate I have (which is my preference since it's such a short turn).

It appears on Google Maps that it's about a 0.7 mile walk which is well within my ability but want to confirm that it's as straightforward as it looks (have never been to San Diego either the city itself or the airport).
Old Jun 22, 21, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Is the Towneplace Airport/Liberty Station walkable from DL arrivals with just a rollerboard?... It appears on Google Maps that it's about a 0.7 mile walk which is well within my ability but want to confirm that it's as straightforward as it looks (have never been to San Diego either the city itself or the airport).
Yes, it should be walkable. I've walked to the neighboring Hampton Inn SAN before. Just make a right as you head out of the terminal and if you continue down Terminal Rd you should have sidewalk access for most of the walk.

-FlyerBeek
Duke787 likes this.

Search this Thread