Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
San Diego

Good afternoon,

I will be spending a week in San Diego next month. I tend to stay at the full service Marriotts or Renaissance. Am I correct that there are no Renaissance properties in the area?

Of the Marriott full services hotels, which one do you recommend? I am on business, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the amenities.

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina is nice but big property.

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter is a bit smaller but also nice.

Both are good in my opinion and depends on what amenities are you looking for one or the other is better.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by iztok
San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina is nice but big property.

San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter is a bit smaller but also nice.

Both are good in my opinion and depends on what amenities are you looking for one or the other is better.
I agree with these two - the Marquis is MASSIVE. Very nice feel, good pool, nice lounges, etc.

The Gaslamp quarter has a really special roof deck that looks into Petco park and serves tasty drinks. You don't have to be a guest to use this however.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I agree with these two - the Marquis is MASSIVE. Very nice feel, good pool, nice lounges, etc.

The Gaslamp quarter has a really special roof deck that looks into Petco park and serves tasty drinks. You don't have to be a guest to use this however.
Thanks both of you.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Stay at the Coronado Marriott Resort several times a year.....property is a little dated but the food service staff have been there for years leading to great service, other staff service is good and it gives you a small town feel by being on Coronado Island--looks out over the bay(ask for a bay view). You can go walking in the neighborhoods, bike w/o a helmet and just have a great relaxing time. I like being away from the bustle of the city. However, there is NO free breakfast for golds or plats since it is a resort(sort of a pisser).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

Altitudes, the rooftop bar at the Gaslamp, is often reserved for private parties during conventions. At a convention this past May, it was reserved for private parties for four straight evenings!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This was posted in the exec lounge sticky by VA Maddog re: San Diego Marriott Marqui Harborside, and since it provides more info than is needed for the sticky, I thought it appropriate to post the info here. Many thanks go to VA Maddog for the info.

"Lounge is nice with a great view of the harbor from the 24th floor of the south tower, but it is small and crowded during breakfast with limited walking space around the seating.

Bar drinks are expensive, about the same as at the hotel bars. Breakfast selection was nice with several hot dishes, no rotation for breakfast, I saw the same choices for seven days with the exception of some different bakery choices from day to day.

Evening light meal and desserts did rotate. Staff was friendly and attentive. "

Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
San Diego Marriott's for Upgrades

Happy holidays all-

I am trying to find a nice Marriott to take my girlfriend. I am platinum at Marriott's so I will be using points. Trying to find the best property but also an opportunity for the nicest room via upgrade. Looking for a great pool/hot tub. Dint think many of them have beach access. Also lounge access would be nice for breakfast and an afternoon drink.

I have obviously researched the Marquis, Coronado etc....

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have stayed at two Marriott SD properties in the past couple years while I was Gold; none since I have turned Platinum.

Marriott Marquis - We weren't upgraded at all but I think that might be because we checked in at 9:00AM on Valentine's Day weekend on a Saturday. It wasn't a bad room at all (view of the bay and Coronado Island) but not a high floor as I would have preferred. Lounge reopened Sunday night so we had breakfast there on Monday morning. Nothing special. The hotel has an outdoor pool and hot tub. This would be my preference if/when I go back to San Diego. Also had nice sized rooms.

Marriott Gas Lamp - This one I was less impressed with. Also checked in as a Gold and barely recogonized my status and the room was pretty small compared to other SD hotels that I have stayed (Westin Horton Plaza, Marriott Marquis). Only Valet parking which runs $35 a day (there is a $20 lot about a block and a half away from the lobby entrance). I only parked at the hotel for one day but they tried to charge me for two. Unless you need to be close to Petco Park I would recommend the Marquis.

Either hotel you can really go without a car unless you are travelling within the area. If you stayed on Coronado Island then I'd imagine you need a car to get back to SD. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:51 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
No pool but we love the Gaslamp Quarter Marriott. You didn't say when you planned on going but we have usually secured a suite upgrade at this location and it has a great rooftop bar and is in a fun location.

I *think* you can use the pool at the Convention Center Marriott... we never have.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Gaslamp Quarter Marriott is much more likely to upgrade you to a suite. Marquis will most likely give you a category upgrade say from city view to bay view.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:17 pm

I liked the Marriott Gaslamp. Location is great, rooftop bar as well. The property at the bay is just huge.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
Been to SD many times as a Platinum. Agree with all of the above. The best property for an upgrade is the Gaslamp. The rooftop bar is also pretty cool. Skip the others for all but work trips.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: United-1k, Marriott-Lifetime Plat
We will be going end of March timeframe. I would imagine all hotels you must drive to the beach?? Not really looking for bars but more interested in nice glass enclosed showers/tubs and pools and hot tubs.

Looking for a hotel that also has nice walks at night with excellent views etc.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Marriott-family hotels in the San Diego area

I would recommend the Marquis.

It's next door to seaport village. And offers great walks at sunset. The pool is nice and has a large hot tub/ jacuzzi. Views from the lounge are very nice. Lounge breakfast may be standard but the afternoon fare is one of the best IMO. I've never been upgraded there but my room has always been large and comfortable. I think you're not going to find your desired bathroom at any Marriott property in SD. That's a different price point. Plus, unless its a honeymoon type getaway, you probably won't be spending much time in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.