Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

http://www.njbiz.com/article/2012092...early-40-years

Located in close proximity to the Prudential Center, the seven-story, 150-room hotel includes 4,122 square feet of meeting space and 14,000 square feet of retail shops facing Broad and Lafayette streets....a location within walking distance to Newark Penn Station and within close proximity to Newark Liberty International Airport"

Well if it's walking distance to Penn Station, that gives some folk an additional location for those who want to stay near but not in Manhattan.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well if it's walking distance to Penn Station, that gives some folk an additional location for those who want to stay near but not in Manhattan.

Cheers.
From the Newark Penn Station perspective (NJTransit, PATH to Manhattan, Amtrak to Boston or DC).....this Courtyard is beyond the Prudential Sports Center stadium.....that is, from Newark Penn Stn, you walk around or past the Sports stadium to Broad Street.....Google maps puts it at 0.5-0.6miles for a 13-15minute walk.

The Courtyard is at 858 Broad St, phone 973-848-0700.
The Prudential Plaza office tower is at 745 Broad St. (That's the tall, white skycraper with the Prudential name near the top).
.....are there any tunnels or walkways from Newark Penn Stn to Prudential Plaza or Pru Sports Center?

To avoid confusion, the tall office buildings directly across the street from Newark Penn Stn are called the Gateway Center, which is where the Hilton is located.

more Courtyard maps and info at:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...ewark-downtown

Last edited by peersteve; Sep 27, 2012 at 9:12 pm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Originally Posted by peersteve
.....are there any tunnels or walkways from Newark Penn Stn to Prudential Plaza or Pru Sports Center?
No tunnels or walkways, but absolutely walkable. Or short cab ride-able too.

BTW, Newark is now the home of the only non-NY outpost of Dinosaur BBQ, which is also walkable from the Courtyard.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/locations/
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
Has anyone stayed here recently? How safe is the location?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Newark gets 1st downtown hotel in 40 years - Courtyard

EWR Marriott is MUCH better!!!!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
EWR Marriott is MUCH better!!!!
Which is good to know, but doesn't actually answer the question asked...

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
That part of Newark is safe enough. Is it a shithole? Yes. Is it dangerous? No. Will you need to maybe dodge a bum passed out in a gutter? Probably.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by BostonBusinessTraveler
Has anyone stayed here recently? How safe is the location?
I stayed here about a year ago. I would go again.

Useful if you need to get to NYC and NJ at times during a visit to the area. From Newark Penn Station both NJ Transit and the Path trains get you into NYC.

I see people here say it is walkable to the train station, which is true but a bit of a hike, especially in lousy weather. There is a shuttle bus every half hour or so to/from the train station between 6:00 am to 11:00 PM (check with hotel to be certain). I used the morning bus and it was fine. I came back late from NYC and I used an Uber car from the train station to the hotel. There were taxis, but the line was chaotic and people were arguing with drivers who were refusing to take what would be small fare trips, which the Courtyard probably would have been one of.

There was a decent and modern restaurant next door to the hotel, had not heard of it but it looked like a chain. I did not use it. There are other restaurants in downtown Newark that are good to go to, but I would not recommend wandering around until you find one - ask the front desk staff and opt for the shuttle if you can.

Hotel was safe. Entrance is on the ground floor, you take an elevator to the second, and that is where the check in desk is. I recall a security guard stationed on the ground floor entrance. Everything in the hotel is the second story or higher - I do not think there are even ground floor rooms.

I flew into Newark and Uber to the hotel. The EWR Marriot might be nicer but its further from NYC and room rate probably costs more. Not sure what parking at the Courtyard is, but having parked at the EWR Marriot once they charge a LOT.

As far as safety goes it is common sense:
  • on weekday's in the daytime Newark is busy, mostly with professionals in downtown offices but also some locals that ensure you don't forget you are in Newark. It is safe then, certainly.
  • I've been in Newark on weekends. It is eerily deserted and most every restaurant is closed.
  • Pre-dawn and late at night it is also mostly deserted, but I would not recommend going jogging or a brisk walk as you probably do not want to meet those who are still out.

As an alternative, the Courtyard in Jersey City has access to the PATH trains into NYC.

Mike
FLYGVA and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed response flyingmike. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmike
As an alternative, the Courtyard in Jersey City has access to the PATH trains into NYC.

Mike
The Courtyard Jersey City is awesome if you're going into Midtown or down do the WTC area. It is literally on top of the PATH station. The staff is pretty good, the rooms are regular Courtyard rooms, and there are lots of good restaurants there. Newport is a hot area, so my one complaint about the Courtyard is that the rates can be just as high as a spot in Manhattan.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyingmike
I stayed here about a year ago. I would go again.

Useful if you need to get to NYC and NJ at times during a visit to the area. From Newark Penn Station both NJ Transit and the Path trains get you into NYC.

I see people here say it is walkable to the train station, which is true but a bit of a hike, especially in lousy weather. There is a shuttle bus every half hour or so to/from the train station between 6:00 am to 11:00 PM (check with hotel to be certain). I used the morning bus and it was fine. I came back late from NYC and I used an Uber car from the train station to the hotel. There were taxis, but the line was chaotic and people were arguing with drivers who were refusing to take what would be small fare trips, which the Courtyard probably would have been one of.

There was a decent and modern restaurant next door to the hotel, had not heard of it but it looked like a chain. I did not use it. There are other restaurants in downtown Newark that are good to go to, but I would not recommend wandering around until you find one - ask the front desk staff and opt for the shuttle if you can.

Hotel was safe. Entrance is on the ground floor, you take an elevator to the second, and that is where the check in desk is. I recall a security guard stationed on the ground floor entrance. Everything in the hotel is the second story or higher - I do not think there are even ground floor rooms.

I flew into Newark and Uber to the hotel. The EWR Marriot might be nicer but its further from NYC and room rate probably costs more. Not sure what parking at the Courtyard is, but having parked at the EWR Marriot once they charge a LOT.

As far as safety goes it is common sense:
  • on weekday's in the daytime Newark is busy, mostly with professionals in downtown offices but also some locals that ensure you don't forget you are in Newark. It is safe then, certainly.
  • I've been in Newark on weekends. It is eerily deserted and most every restaurant is closed.
  • Pre-dawn and late at night it is also mostly deserted, but I would not recommend going jogging or a brisk walk as you probably do not want to meet those who are still out.

Mike
Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. I have a client that is a few blocks away from this Courtyard that I would be visiting during the middle of the week. I was contemplating between an airport Courtyard or this one. My main concern was the overall hotel safety - and the 2nd floor check-in certainly exceeds my desire. Now I just need to balance food options here vs. by the airport since the rates are similar at both Courtyards. thanks again.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:42 pm

The Newark Airport Courtyard is horrible. Very noisy, both from outside and inside. Paper thin walls, so you will hear your neighbors. Outside, you're in between I-78 and Rt 1, so two highways, with lots of trucks hitting lots of potholes. Plus the airport on the other side of Rt 1.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
I've stayed at the Courtyard in Downtown Newark several times since May 2015. The hotel is nice and new, and the staff has also been extremely friendly. As another poster said, Newark is a shithole, but that's not the hotel's fault. The area in the daytime is completely safe.
The restaurant next door is a Joe's Crab Shack - I've eaten here a couple of times and it was decent, especially if you don't want to stray far from the hotel.
The hotel is also adjacent to the Prudential Center, so if there is an event there, expect crowds and a traffic nightmare. The hotel shares a parking garage with the Prudential Center, and Pru Center gets priority. One time I was directed to park on the 7th/8th floor (if I recall correctly) and the hotel entrance is on the 2nd level.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
I've stayed at the Courtyard in Downtown Newark several times since May 2015. The hotel is nice and new, and the staff has also been extremely friendly. As another poster said, Newark is a shithole, but that's not the hotel's fault. The area in the daytime is completely safe.
The restaurant next door is a Joe's Crab Shack - I've eaten here a couple of times and it was decent, especially if you don't want to stray far from the hotel.
The hotel is also adjacent to the Prudential Center, so if there is an event there, expect crowds and a traffic nightmare. The hotel shares a parking garage with the Prudential Center, and Pru Center gets priority. One time I was directed to park on the 7th/8th floor (if I recall correctly) and the hotel entrance is on the 2nd level.
^
Do not stray far from the crowded area around the hotel. It's very congested with people and "urban shopping" oriented during the day, but night time it's very sketchy/muggy, especially off the beaten path. I've lived within a mile or two of this area all my life (still do), so make sure car doors are always locked if you have a rental (car jacking and purse snatching are popular here, especially stopped at red lights on foot or in a car, our criminals are pretty persistent) and be prepared for very aggressive pan-handling There's lots of nice things to do in the area but I wouldn't walk to most of them from this hotel at night.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Newark gets 1st downtown hotel in 40 years - Courtyard

Stay at the EWR Marriott.... Much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.