Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
Parking at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club

Have an upcoming stay here and was surprised to find they charge $26.18 to park a car. I am sure there will be some sort of taxes added to it as well. More than what it will cost me to rent a premium car from Hertz. Wondering if anyone has any experience of this place. Are there nearby parking slots where its cheaper? is it easy to get a taxi if i choose not to rent a car ? thoughts on renting a car vs. taxis to nearby restaurants/shopping malls/waikiki. thank you.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I think there are other posts on this topic, including one that I complained about the parking when it was $10/day. It's a remote resort and I do not remember anywhere that you could park onsite. The fact they charge for parking with all the space available... arg...

I do not recall anyplace local you would want to take a cab to. Others may have stayed more recently.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:06 pm

Were there last year and got same parking charge. We were happy to have a car around.

You can consider to have taxi if you are not planning to go anywhere for shopping/sight seeing/dining, but Mariott property. The expenses at Mariott will much higer than the cost of your rental car! There is a Mariott JW in walking distance.

Since you have decided to go there, don't let the the small portions of your total expenses ruin your vacation. Very nice property. Enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
...THANK YOU.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Marriott Gold, AsiaMiles
I've just come back from the JW which is next door to the Ko Olina Beach Club, you can walk between then, which takes about 10 mins.

There is no public transport, and taxis can be expensive as it is a fair drive to any of the main attractions, restaurants etc. Even tours were difficult, for example the tours to Pearl Harbour which run every day at the Waikiki hotels, only run once a week from Ko Olina.

There is a Hertz desk located at the hotels, so we just hired a car for the day, Hertz desk opens at 7am and closes at 3pm, and as long as you return the keys back at the hotel front desk before 11pm you are not charged the overnight parking fee which was $29 at the JW. Car hire only cost around $50-60 for the day, so this worked out as the better option for us. Book ahead though as they have limited number of cars, and if it is happens to be raining then they run out quickly. I didn't see any free parking in the area.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
You can think of the parking fee as your private beach fee. The area offers only 12 or so free parking spots for the public. This keeps the beach much more quiet and uncrowded than any other place we have ever experienced on the island. Hope that thought helps lessen the pain.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:14 pm

Just a reminder that there are no private beaches in Hawaii and there must be public access and in most cases some parking for the public. Don't think this really helps with your problem but something to be aware of if you are exploring Hawaii's beaches.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
There was what appeared to be a free beach access lot next to the JW, but the signs showed a limit to how long one could park in the lot. (I was on a business call while driving and pulled into the lot the finish the call and think I remember seeing those signs.) I don't know how strictly the parking limit is enforced.

Even with the parking fee, the overall cost for us was lower by renting a car at the airport. Rental fees were suprisingly low - I want to say around $30/day. This was a few months ago, just before the economy took the fast turn to h*ll.

This is definitely a great resort, so don't ruin it by nickel and diming yourself. Yes, the parking fee is absurd, as it's an out of the way location. But you're going to have to pay it whether you let it bother you or not, so concentrate on the great beach, quiet atmosphere, and luxury surroundings.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Even with the parking fee, the overall cost for us was lower by renting a car at the airport. Rental fees were suprisingly low - I want to say around $30/day. This was a few months ago, just before the economy took the fast turn to h*ll.

This is definitely a great resort, so don't ruin it by nickel and diming yourself. Yes, the parking fee is absurd, as it's an out of the way location. But you're going to have to pay it whether you let it bother you or not, so concentrate on the great beach, quiet atmosphere, and luxury surroundings.
Speaking as one who always looks for the best deal (call me frugal, this is even when someone else is paying), I think you are right on target here. I also think it is bad form to charge such high parking fees at this kind of property (as if they think no one notice the amount of the extra charge on their bill). Far better to include the needed revenue in the price of the room, imo. But it's also far better to pay the parking and have the convenience of a vehicle with you whenever you want to go out given the location of this property. Yes, you may end up paying more for parking fees than for the vehicle itself but think of what a great time you are having!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club Trip Report

We went to Marriott Ko Olina (MVCI time share) last week in Oahu. Mrs. and I are regulars to Hawaii since honeymoon and we have visited all the major island. This was the first time we took the kids (both toddlers) and an extended family member along with us.

We stayed 5 nights in a 2 bed room villa on (125K) MR points before they raised the redemption levels in mid July. This was our 1st stay at Ko Olina but we have visited twice on the Marriott time share presentation previously BC (Before Children).

Our general impression is the place is excellent for people with young children, families, and people looking just to relax at the resort/beach. This is not the place to stay if you want to try all the fancy restaurants every night mainly in Honolulu and Waikiki area, (e.g. La Mer, Allan Wong’s, Chef Mavros, Nobu, Sansei etc), or do a lot of island activities. The only reason I point this out it Mrs. and I spent our dinners this way BC. On this trip after going into the city 2 nights in a row it just felt like too much running around for vacation and decided it’s not worth with it with kids (especially when we can hit some nice places to eat in NYC back home).

Following is a trip report with some observations. Also, below is a link to a resort map:
http://www.marriott-vacations.com/co...b/pdfs/map.pdf

Check In

We arrived on a Sunday exactly at 4pm for check in. The check in time is 4pm. The room was not ready since it was still being cleaned (even though they have a 10am check out time). The room they intended to give us was supposed to be the garden (think parking lot) view on the 4th floor of the Naia tower. The parking lot goes up to the 3rd floor or so.

Mrs. and I kept going back and forth with the receptionist since our kids were cranky after the long flight from EWR. She offered us a $25 resort credit for the room (and then 1 hour late check out to 11am) not being ready but that didn’t help the kids being cranky and ready to go to sleep.

The 2 bedroom villas redeemed on MR points seem to all translate to the non lock-out option rooms (1 front door) for the entire 2 bed room villa. All of these rooms are in the Naia tower. We told them the kids are too young to open a locked door and sneak out of their side so we can take any 2 bed room villa that is ready (or partially ready). She wouldn’t budge on exchanging it for a lock out option 2 bedroom villa.

Finally after she realized we weren’t leaving the desk she called over a manager who magically found us a room that was clean up on the 8th floor. In summary my impression of the receptionist is they can’t do much without manager approval even on little things and being a MR elite didn’t mean much to them (I guess most owners and people staying on MR points are elites and I know the pecking order is MR owner, owners exchanging into MR, and then renters, and then probably people on points).

In summary there is no need to show up early for check in hopes for a better room. I also noticed this on check out that there were many unhappy people hanging out at the resort bar/restaurant waiting for their room since it was not ready.

Room/Villa

Our 8th floor garden view room in the Naia tower was excellent (even thought it faced inland). It looked over the boat marina, the ship inlet where some tanker ships were parked. From our main balcony we got a partial view of the ocean as well.

Our 2 bed room villa had both king begs in both bedrooms. All come with full kitchen including 8 set of plates, bowls, cutlery, etc. There is a stack able washer dryer and they give you a small tide box to get started on laundry. They gave us 5 dish washer soap packets under the sink as well. We used the laundry and the kitchen/dining table, for breakfast and 1 other meal a day with the kids, the most. The in room laundry and the kitchen w/ sitting area was the biggest convenience/difference from staying in a regular hotel room for us. At one point we were running 2 loads of laundry a day!
Marriott Vacation Club Desk

The time share sales desk (or what ever it is formally called) to the left of the Concierge desk in the Koana tower gave us a $15 discount card for Kolohe’s and a 5%/10% discount electronic card that can be used at various places. Just be sure to read the fine print on times and what items you can get the 5%/10% discount on. We never managed to get both correct at the same time.

They are now offering (only) 7,500 MR points of $75 resort credit for the presentation. Thankfully, I talked the Mrs. out of wasting their time and ours just for $75 when we know we aren’t going to buy.

Construction

There was no construction noise at all at this time. The Naia tower is complete but on half of is occupied/ready (the half that is farther away from the ocean). The other half looks like it needs to be finished inside. There are plans for a 4th tower next to the Naia tower (labeled future development on the map link) but no construction has started.

We couldn’t hear any construction noise form the new Disney time shares being built next door either.

Parking

Parking is $26 for self park for non-owners/renters. They had a special where valet and self park are both $26/day. I found some parking spots regularly close to the level 1 entry of the Naia tower I just self parked.

Pool/ Beach Toys

You can get beach/pool toys that formers guests left from the bell captain’s desk at the Koana tower or from a box to the left of the MAZE Pool Hut (labeled “N” on the map). We were able to get 3 floaties and beach mats.

Kidde Pool

There are many pools of all size, shapes or people of all ages. Our toddlers spent most of their time at the sand bottom Kidde pool at the right end of “A” on the map. There is also a very small playground (“B” on map) which they ran to sometimes when they wanted a break. There are enough beach chairs to sit on for the adults to watch them. An attendant from the Kolohe’s pool bar restaurant comes around closer to 11am to take orders for food or drinks.

Groceries/Shopping

The Marketplace downstairs on the Koana tower has some small groceries items and the prices are not too bad compared to the Safeway close by. We got the $30 refillable bug for the entire trip from the Marketplace for coffee in the AM, and kids fruit punch while they were in the pool during the day.

All the groceries and shopping needed for your stay are at the next exit (exit 1A or 2 depending which way you are coming on H1). Note, my Garmin GPS told me to take exit 1B and it is closed right now so take exit 1A. There is a Safeway, Cost-Co, Target, K-Mart, Longs Drugs store, Sport Authority, and much more.

Pharmacy

I hope you don’t need this service but if you need prescriptions (like an extended family member with us did); your doctor can call them into Longs Drugs store. Also, there is a pharmacy called Mina Pharmacy in the same area that delivers them to the resort (for an extra charge) as well.

Lagoon

The property is located around lagoon # 3 that has beach chairs and cabanas on the beach. Lagoon # 1 starts at the JW Marriott and there are 4 lagoons. There is a nice wake way along all 4 lagoons and the roundtrip is about 3.x miles so it’s a good morning walk. Also there are lights along the path in case you want to walk back at night form say the JW Marriott (if you had dinner there).

There are showers along the path way to clean your sandy feet after being on the beach.

Lagoon # 2 is the best for snorkeling (per the staff) but it is nothing compared to Hanauma Bay on the eastern side of Oahu. I saw some fish but generally found the water murky over both days (morning and afternoon). Just be careful that there are no life guards at any of the lagoons (or the pools) and the ocean floor drops steeply after a little bit.

House Keeping

House keeping starts at 9am (even though they say 10am at the reception desk) and are supposed to finish around 4pm. If you want your room cleaned early call and put the request in or let you house keeping staff know. Our first call didn’t recorded properly but after we told the house keeping staff for our floor they were excellent and came in the later morning while we were out so the kids could come back to nap in the room later (without being bother by house keeping).

Miscellaneous Comments

The kids enjoyed the fish feeding. The 1230pm fish feeding near the Koana tower is good. The 730am one is near the JW Marriott and we couldn’t get out the door and over there that early.

We ate dinner one night at Chuck’s. Some of the seating offers ocean views. The salad bar is good but the pineapple in the salad bar was the best I had on this trip.

The Concierge Desk offers all sorts of tours and packages. One family member went on a day trip to see the lava at the Big Island. Her only complaint was she paid a little more than her other tour mates who stayed at Waikiki properties. This was later resolved later with a credit back to her but I don’t know why it happened in the first place since Robert’s Hawaii was the tour conductor.

Overall the staff is very friendly and willing to help as much as possible within their abilities.

Check Out

Check out is 10am and they are pretty rigid about it since they have to do a thorough cleaning for the next guest. We got it extended to 11am and then to 11:30am since the kids feel asleep early for their afternoon nap.

Linger Longer Program

Since most flights back to the mainland are late afternoon or evening red-eyes, you can do the Linger Longer Program to hang out longer at the resort. You have to go to the front desk and get different keys to let you into the towers and parking lots if you plan to stay and use this program. You have access to the pool, beach, the locker rooms and the 3rd floor lounge. The lounge has chairs, TV, table to hang out and read.

Summary

Overall it was very good stay and would definitely come back as a renter (paying cash or with points) again. This is a great place for families and people with children (even toddlers).

If Mrs. and I came back solo again to Oahu (without kids/family) we would stay at the Waikiki Beach instead so we can check out the restaurants in addition to the beach, and it is a little more central for other island activities.

Feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions on the report or the property from a renter’s perspective.

Last edited by miles_navigator; Sep 13, 2009 at 1:39 pm
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Great review, thanks!^

Is there an additional charge for the "linger longer" program?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Great review, thanks!^

Is there an additional charge for the "linger longer" program?
We were there in September and there was no fee for Linger Longer. I wish more properties would offer this at no charge. It really costs them nothing and we still spent plenty more on food and drinks while "lingering"

This was our first time to this property,but it will be my first choice when returning to Oahu.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:52 am

That's a great report! We went this past January and are going again in 2011. It's a great place to take the family.

Even from California I think a week is too short in Hawaii We are bumping up to 10 days on our next trip!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:09 pm

always loved this place, BUT...

I am staying at Marriott Ko Olina right now. I left the balcony door open overnight. The wind blowing from the direction of the oil refinery stank so much that it woke me up, and I got up to shut the door so the A/C would automatically turn on. When the sun came up this morning, the wind was (and is) still coming from that direction. It still stinks. Intensely. I called the front desk and the receptionist claimed not to know anything about it... Surely there are laws to be enforced, and I ask what I could do to help. I was at this Marriott once before and smelled nothing. What does this say about the human race, that we can turn the most beautiful place on earth into a toilet?

update: by 10:00 a.m. the air was fresh again. frequently polluters do their thing during the night so that it is not noticed; also wind direction is a critical variable. Still, something should be done to prevent this!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:16 pm

Yuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.