Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:21 pm

Location: Dearborn, Michigan, NW Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Are you talking about the industry that is towards Barbers Point? It is about three miles away, isn't it?

Not having anything around is sometimes a good thing. It is all based on your expectations and preferences.

You have to admit that the lagoons were nice, correct?

Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Heavy industrial area ???? We've been staying there twice a year for many years and the only thing industrial anywhere around it is a refinery that has to be at least 3 to 5 miles away. Right near the hotel is the Paradise Cove Luau, certainly not in an industrial area.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:32 pm

JIMCHI,

Thats what I figured. I have not been there yet(going in December) but the property has had too many positive reports to be near industry. Do you have any favorite spots or restaurants that you prefer?

Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:19 pm

I've been there twice and would say the only effect of the nearby industry is in the views. Some rooms have it in clear view. I agree that there are many positives that make it worth the visit. Just note that my recent stay in July was very good but fron desk service was consistantly poor which was surprising. Regardless, we cant wait to return.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 9:04 am

RedSand- there aren't many restaurant choices near the hotel. There is a relatively new restaurant which opened in the Barber Point shopping mall area (across from the Safeway store, a Chilies, and there is also a chinese restaurant and fast food chains there. The meal prices in the hotel are outlandish and we refuse to eat dinner there. We either drive into Honolulu or else drive up to the north shore where we like Jameson's By The Sea.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 6:58 pm
Sig

According to my aeronautical chart, the Campbell Industrial Park (the only oil refinary for Hawaii) is just under 1 mile east as the crow flies from Ko Olina. Between the refinary and the resort is the Barbers Point Harbor, also a heavy industrial area with drydocks and shipyards. This property actually shares a border with Ko Olina. Oahu's major power plant is about just over 1 mile west of the resort, the two smoke stacks are clearly visible from anywhere on the resort. The Oahu landfill is just over 1 mile north, although I've never smelled it at Ko Olina. If you don't look to the left as you drive to the resort, get just the right room and never drive past the first lagoon it is a great place and you'll probably enjoy it. Otherwise you'll realize why it took so long for that particular area to be developed and if you're not expecting it you may be upset at the industry that the brochures don't show.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JIMCHI:
Heavy industrial area ???? We've been staying there twice a year for many years and the only thing industrial anywhere around it is a refinery that has to be at least 3 to 5 miles away. Right near the hotel is the Paradise Cove Luau, certainly not in an industrial area. </font>
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:25 am

The Ihilani is at the other end of the Ko Olina property. There is no way it is within a mile or two of the refinery. The timeshare is closer but it's still quite aways away. We've stayed at the Ihilani probably 20 times and not once have either of us noticed any industrial activity other than the lights in the distance at the refinery at night. My only concern with staying at the timeshare right now would be potential construction noise.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 9:05 pm

Thanks everyone.

Aloha.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 2:14 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I have stayed there a couple of times. The rooms, service, pool and beach are wonderful.

As a PLT, was there on an award and was given a great upgrade.

To the person who said it was in the middle of an industrial park - I have no idea where that is coming from? I certainly smelled nothing from a refinery.

It is a beautiful, low-key, uncrowded property that I will definitely go back to.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:51 pm

Ko Olina Beach Club

My wife and I stayed here from Dec 3-8 on one of Marriott's timeshare presentation packages. I wanted to share with everyone what a terrific property this is. First of all, I want to set everyone at ease regarding the timeshare presentation. The Marriott rep was informative and thorough but not pushy. It was suppose to last 90 minutes but she only kept us there for one hour. There was no high pressure sell.

The grounds here are fantastic. Marriott owns about 3 miles of the beachfront. On one end is the JW Ihilani resort and on the other end is the Beach Club and Yacht Club. The walkway in between is fantastic. Wonderfully kept grounds with palm trees, flowers and a great view of the ocean. My wife and I walked every morning and I am not a walking enthusiast.

The room size was ok but everything was new with a decent ocean view from the lanai and a micorwave, small fridge, sink, dishes and in-room safe. The resort was not crowded at all and the beach grill and bar was a great time. The tables are set up facing the ocean and the food was very good. Many guests that stayed at JW Marriott walked down to this bar because it was open later than anything at JW. The workout area was a separate building near the pools and had at a vast array of machines. More than enough even if the resort was crowded.

If you are offered a package, don't be quick to throw it away just because it is a timeshare offer. This is what the package was:

5 nights at Ko Olina Beach Club
10,000 frequent flier miles
Hertz convertible for the length of stay
$50 resort coupon
Total price: $199.00 PP
Required: timeshare presentation
Old Jan 1, 2004, 1:49 pm

A very important issue would be the status of the construction going on there. Have they started (or working on) another building yet? Was there any construction noise whatsoever, either inside or at the beach?
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:10 pm

I LOVE Ko Olina - have been there 3 times now at the JW Marriott Ilihani Hotel and enjoyed the beautiful lagoons. NO comparison to crowded Honolulu. We did buy a timeshare last time there and went with friends to the Ko Olina Beach Club at the other end of the lagoon walk. Two bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen, washer, dryer, nicely decorated and comfortable. The balconies are smaller than the Ilihani and so far no restaurant except for pool cafe. We went often to the Ilihani for restaurants. Love the Japanese restaurant buffet on Friday night.
There was no construction noise evident when we were there in mid Nov. Were there for 4 days before we noticed the screens behind the main pool which hid the area in which the 2nd building will be erected.Will be returning in May after a week on Maui at the new Westin on Kanaapali.

How did you get the $199 deal to look at the timeshare ?
Old Jan 5, 2004, 8:14 pm

We were there from December 3-8 and there was no construction at all. In the presentation they mentioned that there will be another timeshare building going up and a Ritz Carlton as well. I believe they said it will start in March but I dont think it will be too much of a distraction. The current beach club and the land where the new hotels are going is somewhat elevated and set back from the beach area.

The $199.00 price was a targeted offer I think. You can get very good rates at the beach club and if you take the timeshare tour while you are there, you can get resort credit(good at the beach club, JW resort or the golf course) or receive a substantial amount of Marriott points.

Aloha
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat.
Any new Ko Olina Beach Club Offers?

We are interested in looking at the new resort and wondering if they had any special offers to visit?

Other than the obvious larger accomodations, is there any reason to choose the Beach Club over the Ihilani? We may do a reward stay and I think a mountain view room at the Ihilani is 75K as is a one bedroom stay in the Beach Club.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mplanner
We are interested in looking at the new resort and wondering if they had any special offers to visit?

Other than the obvious larger accomodations, is there any reason to choose the Beach Club over the Ihilani? We may do a reward stay and I think a mountain view room at the Ihilani is 75K as is a one bedroom stay in the Beach Club.
Might be worthwhile to ask this question over on TUG as well. I'm sure there are some KoOlina owners who'd be happy to fill you in and/or friendshare you, if you want a discounted cash stay.

The concierge at the hotel or the marketing/sales folks at the resort should have a list of iincentives for stays/tours, etc. We were offered 15K points or 75 BB's for a tour at Waiohai when we were there last month.

Obvious difference in accomodations (with the 1 or 2 BR condo) is more space and a full kitchen (in the master or when in a 2BR). Often friendshares and/or promos are for a guest room (the lockoff) and there is no kitchen and it isn't much bigger than a hotel room. Ask ffor the master; it might cost a bit more but IMO it's worth it.

Good luck!

Pat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.