FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/139137-marriott-ko-olina-beach-club-hi-master-thread.html)

jfe Sep 25, 2002 4:38 pm

I am planning on going on August 2003, would that be risky, I hope that they would work out all the bugs by then.

I am still wondering if I should give it a try http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

JIMCHI Sep 25, 2002 6:11 pm

Oh it will be done by August 2003 !!! At least the one building they are working on now. However, they plan to build two more buildings right alongside plus a "village" (which I guess will be restaurants and stores). Who knows how soon they will start construction on the other two buildings, but I wouldn't pay $1 for a month's stay at a resort under construction. To be fair, it could be several years before they start- depends upon how successful the 1st building is. In case you happen to be suckered into buying one of these timeshares, be VERY aware that a great view now could be totally blocked by adjacent buildings in the future (unless you purchase time in a DIRECT oceanfront unit. When talking to the sales rep, I am not convinced they will GUARANTEE you anything except an "ocean view" (e.g. turn your had 90 degrees to see the ocean). I never understand why people buy into these things. Always seems cheaper and definitely better to me to stay at a hotel of my choice and take advantage of special rates, etc.

anandrag May 10, 2003 7:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jfe:
I just got this offer on the mail, for travel through 2003, has anyone taken advantage of this offer?
</font>
I just booked to go over Juky 4th weekend. Since T/S wasn't available, they booked us at JW for same rate! Great deal!
Any advice on what rooms I should get would be appreciated

JIMCHI May 11, 2003 10:01 am

See my posting dated 4/22/03 under topic "JW Ihilani" for info on room locations. This will be a peak time at this resort so don't count on picking your room. They have a number of mountain view rooms which typically go to those on deeply discounted rates.

MGG May 16, 2003 6:20 am

Stayed at the JW Marriott there in April; walked several mornings on the beautiful path along the ocean from the hotel to the tiemshares. Enough of the timeshares are finished that anyone who stays there will have a great time. We talked to people actually staying in the timeshares and they had no complaints. BTW, be sure to golf across the street at Ko Olina and go to the hotel for dinner at AZULs......lovely!!!

RedSandFan Sep 23, 2003 8:37 pm

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

Has anyone experienced this new resort yet? It is next to JW Ihilani on Oahu. Spending 5 days there in early December.

Thanks

dashark Sep 24, 2003 5:55 pm

I was there in February (about a month after it opened) on a business trip. Overall, I liked it.

Best Features - Great location. The lagoons are great, the sunset view is fantastic. I definitely did not feel I was on Oahu.

The place was nearly empty when I was there. Almost no one else using the facilities or the pool.

I took a walk up to the JW Marriott for dinner.

Bad points - Other than the restaurants at the JW Marriott, there was nothing close by for dinner. The only option is to drive into Kapolei (about 3-4 miles).

Bottom line - If you're looking for seclusion and an "off Oahu" experience, go there. If you want nightlife and activity, go to the Marriott Waikiki.

RedSandFan Sep 24, 2003 11:23 pm

Thanks dashark.

Did they push you to attend any timeshare presentations?

Was construction an annoyance?

dashark Sep 26, 2003 10:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Originally posted by RedSandFan:
Did they push you to attend any timeshare presentations?
</font>
No. I think they gave me a brochure when I checked in, but nobody even called me on the phone. Of course, I was there on a business trip, not one of Marriott's "special package" deals.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Was construction an annoyance?

</font>
I don't think my experience in February would reflect what's going on today. However, for what it was worth, they had some areas screened off for construction. There was no construction going on while I was there, but I was gone by 7AM in the morning and didn't return until after 5PM.

Da Shark

[This message has been edited by dashark (edited 09-26-2003).]

JIMCHI Sep 27, 2003 6:37 pm

I would certainly call and ask about construction. We were at the JW in April and walked over to the timeshare every day and it was noisy. They are also suppose to start construction on the 2nd building before too long (if not already).

janhigginskcmo Sep 28, 2003 11:06 am

I just got back from the JW at Ko olina last week. It was my second year in a row staying there. I stayed at the JW. We did go visit the Timeshares (vactaion club) one day. Not many people were there. Yes, there was lots of construction. I was not aware of a ton of noise, but it might have beem just when they were there.

Be prepared for lots of bulldozers, orange fences everywhere.

I don't know why restraunts would be an issue because you have a full kitchen there to cook or eat what ever you like. I think a rental car is a must beacuse you are on a part of the Island that is way from everything else.

The Marina there serves great lunches and so does the JW. They are also opening a great bar and grill at the golf course.

RedSandFan Sep 28, 2003 10:20 pm

Thanks Jan. Which restaurant did you enjoy the most at JW Marriott?

janhigginskcmo Sep 29, 2003 1:22 am

I liked them all.. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Naupaka Terrace has a great Prime rib buffet. The pool side food is great. Really good mixed drinks also.

If you want to get a good feel for where your going, rent the movie Blue Crush. It was filmed at the hotel. Its shows where on the Island your staying, the hotel, lagoon, ect. Keep it in mind that its a surfer movie...but a pretty good one.

Oh, keep your eyes open when your there (keep a camera handy)...lots of famous people stay there. Sheryl Crow was there hanging out at the pool with all of us. Last year I saw Kevin Costner, and the list goes on.

You'll have a wonderful time.

happywanderer Sep 30, 2003 8:13 am

I stayed at the JW there late last year. I think the location is awful. There's absolutely nothing within five miles or so from the resort. Secondly, the resort is smack in the middle of a what I would call a heavy industrial area.

Sig Sep 30, 2003 7:42 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I live on Oahu and I always wondered why they put an expensive hotel within site of a large oil refinery and a mile from the Oahu landfill!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:
I stayed at the JW there late last year. I think the location is awful. There's absolutely nothing within five miles or so from the resort. Secondly, the resort is smack in the middle of a what I would call a heavy industrial area.</font>