Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
We are checking in Sunday. We won't be going out everyday so the $30/day parking seems too much. Is there "local edition" of a car rental company in the area?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by skiermsm
We are checking in Sunday. We won't be going out everyday so the $30/day parking seems too much. Is there "local edition" of a car rental company in the area?
I believe the JW Marriott Ihilani (up the beach) has a Hertz rental car desk.

Are you renting a room directly from Marriott or from owners? Owners get to park 1 car for free, so if you are sub-letting from owners, parking may be free.

There are many shopping/dining options in Kapolei, so if you eat out a lot, or buy food to cook, can potentially save the cost of the rental car and parking each day.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to get anywhere from the resort without a car, even getting around the resort on foot takes a while. I think to walk from KOBC to Ihilani takes 10~15 minutes. It's a nice walk, but it is not super close.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I am trying to decide between this resort and Turtle Bay for next summer, and I am looking for opinions from people that have stayed at Ko Olina Beach club and Turtle Bay. The price is about the same for the time of year we're going. It sounds like this resort itself is better, but it sounds like there are more things to do at/nearby Turtle Bay (less isolated - though it is farther away from HNL).

We have kids (aged 8 and 10) and while a kids program isn't necessary (we like doing things together as a family) activities at the resort for everyone are preferred. We aren't so picky about restaurants, but a variety at the resort would be nice.

The big downside for Turtle Bay is the deposit/cancellation policy. I don't like paying for any hotels up front. With Ko Olina, I can earn lots of Marriott points, have no deposit required, and lose less money if I need to cancel within the 14 day window. This is a big deciding factor for me when I vacation plan, because I plan waaaay in advance, and have had to cancel/modify my plans more than once!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I have never stayed at TB but my kids are the same age as yours and they love Ko. In fact, last year they were exactly 8 and 10 when we were there. We go just about every year. It's a perfect place for kids that age to have a little independence but within a relatively "safe" feeling environment. They can go downstairs and play ping pong, jump in the pool, buy an ice cream bar, etc.... Plus you can walk down to Disney for a few meals and character sightings. I can't compare but I can say that Ko Olina is really a great place for kids that age. If you want a smoking deal at Ko just book your reservation through Marriott to hold the room and then check Ebay a few weeks before you are to go. Sometimes you can get some amazing deals on there and then you can cancel your Marriott rezzie. When the days match up it can be incredible. You will save a TON and as long as you rent from an owner you get elite night credits. You'll save thousands though and get ocean view instead of mountain view.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by skiermsm
Just rent the car at the airport for the whole time. It's so much easier. Then you CAN leave every day if you want. Easy to go to the market, the movies, whatever, Hawaii Discount Car Rental has really cheap rates for name brand car rentals. Always the cheapest in my experience. Enjoy your vacation!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:29 pm

Are all 1-bedrooms, aside from the view, created equal here? Are some towers better than others?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by slariz
Are all 1-bedrooms, aside from the view, created equal here? Are some towers better than others?
I assume you mean 1 bedroom villa versus 1 bedroom guest room. Inside they are pretty much the same. I stayed in Nai'a (newer one at the time) and they are all single entry 2 bedroom villas but the 1 bedroom villas portion was similar to the one we had in the Moana tower on a different trip.

One design has like a small day bed or something in the area going into the Master bed room. I personally prefer the table/desk instead at the end and use it as work/laptop desk (sigh, yes while on vacation).

It's a really nice property, enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by miles_navigator
I assume you mean 1 bedroom villa versus 1 bedroom guest room. Inside they are pretty much the same. I stayed in Nai'a (newer one at the time) and they are all single entry 2 bedroom villas but the 1 bedroom villas portion was similar to the one we had in the Moana tower on a different trip.

One design has like a small day bed or something in the area going into the Master bed room. I personally prefer the table/desk instead at the end and use it as work/laptop desk (sigh, yes while on vacation).

It's a really nice property, enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the info! Yep, the 1 bedroom Villa, not the studio. We originally had booked at the JW Marriott property next door, but got a great rate at this property so am switching over for the extra room and kitchen.

So, sounds like they all are pretty similar. I'm always wary of big properties like this with multiple towers in case just some of them have been renovated and some have not, especially when it comes to bathrooms. But I guess that isn't a worry here!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:26 pm

Have been in all 3 towers and all have had very similar furniture, kitchens, baths etc in good repair
If you have an island view instead of ocean view try kona, first built as many island views actually have pretty good view of ocean or marina
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Have been in all 3 towers and all have had very similar furniture, kitchens, baths etc in good repair
If you have an island view instead of ocean view try kona, first built as many island views actually have pretty good view of ocean or marina
Thank you - this is great information! Glad to hear all towers are pretty similar then ^
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Can I reserve with cash then switch to points?

We are headed to Hawaii for a two week vacation...the last 5 nights are going to be spent on Oahu and this is one of the places we are seriously considering.
We're going during prime time, looking to check in on Dec. 27th and check out on Jan. 1st. We have 4 adults and 2 kids (10 and 8 at the time...seems a popular age here ), so we would need a 2 bedroom. right now they are not taking reservations that far out...but what I would like to do is reserve the room using a CC and then once I earn the points (probably around August), I will switch to points...I'm Gold with Marriott if that makes a difference. I know I can do this with SPG, but not familiar enough with redemption at Marriott...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
We are headed to Hawaii for a two week vacation...the last 5 nights are going to be spent on Oahu and this is one of the places we are seriously considering.
We're going during prime time, looking to check in on Dec. 27th and check out on Jan. 1st. We have 4 adults and 2 kids (10 and 8 at the time...seems a popular age here ), so we would need a 2 bedroom. right now they are not taking reservations that far out...but what I would like to do is reserve the room using a CC and then once I earn the points (probably around August), I will switch to points...I'm Gold with Marriott if that makes a difference. I know I can do this with SPG, but not familiar enough with redemption at Marriott...any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't count on it. Peak season where Marriott is relying on owners to trade their weeks in for Marriott Reward Points in order to be able to offer them up for rewards. Though think also that Marriott (or MVCI) can turn around and rent that time out for premium prices.

Points prices won't be cheap either since a standard reward will only be for a studio unit. Needing a 2BR will cost I think three 5000 point upgrade per night. So an extra 15,000 points per night to get the larger room.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by dioxide45
I wouldn't count on it. Peak season where Marriott is relying on owners to trade their weeks in for Marriott Reward Points in order to be able to offer them up for rewards. Though think also that Marriott (or MVCI) can turn around and rent that time out for premium prices.

Points prices won't be cheap either since a standard reward will only be for a studio unit. Needing a 2BR will cost I think three 5000 point upgrade per night. So an extra 15,000 points per night to get the larger room.
I looked and for 5 nights in November, I can get it for 210K points...which I think is a decent deal.

Thanks for your input...anyone else have any experience trying this?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
We're going during prime time, looking to check in on Dec. 27th and check out on Jan. 1st... right now they are not taking reservations that far out... but what I would like to do is reserve the room using a CC and then once I earn the points (probably around August), I will switch to points...
Inventory for the week of Dec 28-Jan 3 will be release on Saturday night, so you can't book either cash or points stay until Sunday, Jan 12.

BTW, it looks like either 1) awards are blocked for Thanksgiving week and onward, or 2) release of award inventory lags release of paid inventory by 1.5 months.

If there is award availability for Dec 28-Jan 1 book it You do not need the points in your account to make an award reservation. You will the points prior to your stay as hey will automatically deduct the points from your account a week or so before your stay. I personally wouldn't rely on this and would call Marriott once you have the requisite points and have them issue the certificate and attach it to your reservation. In the case of New Years week reservation if awards become available, book it ASAP before others snatch them up; don't wait until you have the points. There may not be any awards left by August. Being Gold, or Plat for that mater, will not help.

Now, having said all that, I wouldn't hold your breathe on awards being available during the peak period of New Years week, so yes I would book a paid room as back-up plan as long as you are willing to pay should award availability never materialize. If award availability does show up, then make the award reservation and cancel the paid reservation; but keep in mind the 14 day cancellation policy.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:32 am

Just rent on redweek, ebay, etc.... MUCH cheaper. Do your homework so you don't get scammed though.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Just rent on redweek, ebay, etc.... MUCH cheaper. Do your homework so you don't get scammed though.
Cheaper then free points?

I started a preliminary search on Ebay and emailed one guy...for the week over new years he was asking $4300 for a 2 bdr villa with a garden view...not sure where that ranks...expensive or cheap?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.