Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village, Florida, Opened Dec '12 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village, Florida, Opened Dec '12 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver

Found this by clicking New Hotels on the Westin website and haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere on FT.

The Westin Resort at Tarpon Point Marina in Cape Coral FL is a rebrand of the Resort at Marina Village - looks a really nice hotel, gets good TA reviews and great to have a SPG property in that part of Florida.

http://www.marinavillageresort.com/

http://development.starwoodhotels.co...n_point_marina
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Cape Coral is the pits otherwise as far as a destination in Florida.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldspan
help me out by what you mean. When I see the word pits, a bonus is usually good, cheap local eateries & pubs, rather than the overpriced/mediocre food & drink served in more developed/resort areas.

Has anyone stayed at this property and can post their experience?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Spot on!!!

Worldspan
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:26 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Spot on!!!

Worldspan
I would hope that you would think your own post was spot on

care to explain why you feel Cape Coral is the pits?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite

Has anyone beem here and what is there to do in the area? Any great beaches, beach restaurants?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:44 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
This seems to be the official thread for the property. Looks like no one has posted about it here yet.

It's real close to Sanibel and Captiva which have great beaches
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
I just got a promo email for this. Rates look decent and long past time for a Starwood on the west coast south of tampa. I hope to try it out in the next few months and will post a trip report.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:52 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
There is NOTHING to do Cape Coral. There may be a tiny little man made beach there, maybe a golf course or two. I was really surprised to hear that Westin was opening a resort.
Old May 19, 2013, 5:23 pm

Just got back from a 4 night stay here. It's really a hidden gem is this part of Florida. Place was almost empty. 1 bed suite was nice. Few thoughts: service level in restaurant is spotty - clearly they are having a problem trying to manage the staffing for the low occupancy.

Seemed there were some "locals" by the pool over the weekend that were not hotel guests and no security to police this - even saw some come in by boat and take a swim and leave!

Criticism from some is that there isn't much nearby - but more than can be seem from the approach road - another marina, Cape Harbour is close by with some nice bars/eats.

With no other SPG property between TPA and MIA this is a nice addition to the family.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:11 pm

Beautiful hotel, but takes about 30 mins from I-75 to get there.

The staff was excellent and upgraded me to a luxurious one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

The told me they have a free water taxi daily to the beach, but I didn't have time to try it.

For nightlife checkout the marina just west of the hotel.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Anyone have any info on this hotel. I'm going to give it a try next weekend and want to know if anyone has any hotel info/tips or places in the area to visit or eat. Going down with the family.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I am at the tail end of a 4 day stay here. I have to say, I am very Impressed. This place is a hidden gem. Here's the deal

- I was looking for a place to take the family for the weekend. I did some searching in the Tampa region and stumbled upon the Westin, which is 2 hours south of Tampa.

- the hotel is basically in a gated community and off the beaten path. You drive in to a planned community (condos, walking trails, shops, and a high end marina) and the Westin sits right on the water.

- this hotel itself is big at 18 floors. Many of the rooms are 1, 2, and 3 BR suites. They have a couple restaurants, nice tiki-type bar, pool, outdoor eating, hot tub, etc. On their sister condo property across the street, they have more pools, horse shoes, tennis, etc.

- I got such a good rate (weekend before t-giving) at $87, it was not worth using points. For the rate (AAA Hot Deal) I also got a $50 voucher to spend. Unbelievable deal.

- I called ahead of time and talked to the FD Manager. He asked how many people were in my party (4) and proceeded to upgrade me instantly to a 2BR suite.

- when I arrived, I parked for free in the garage, and checked in. FD agent was very nice and helpful. Perfect 10 as far as checkins go.

- the room was awesome. One of the better I've had in all SPG properties. 2BR, 2BA, full kitchen (stainless and granite), washer/dryer, living room, huge screen porch overlooking water, multiple walk-in closets. Close to. 1400sf. Fabulous. All for $87.

- took the breakfast amenity and got a $36 daily credit for breakfast. Ate each day outside overlooking the water. Good service and great food. The $36 covered two egg white omelettes, a bowl of fruit, and coffee.

- the pool was great but may be on the small side for the high season. We relaxed by the pool overlooking the water. Food and drink service was available. Perfect weather, nice breeze, a real good time.

- in the AM, we did a 3 mile running loop within the marina area. Plenty of walking trails and places to run.

- the hotel is located in a quasi-gated community directly on a marina. It's in a harbor and not directly on the gulf. There is no beach but they will take you for free (via a water shuttle) to Ft Myers beach. The marina has a number of trendy shops basically attached to the hotel. There was also a cool restaurant (Pinchers Crab Shack) that was hopping at night. We ate there and were very pleased.

- if you want to hit a store or other restaurants, you'll have to drive off the property. There's plenty within a few miles.

- we decided to try Ft Myers and Sanibel Island and drove there. Even though they're a few miles away by boat, it's a solid 30 by car. We liked both beaches. FM was a little honky-tonk but I liked the party vibe (lots of beach restaurants and bars). SI was the polar opposite. Quiet and not commercial.

- at night, the hotel tiki bar area was hopping. Live music, fire pit, people having fun, and right on the water.

Overall, I will be back. Yes... It is a bit secluded but that's not always a bad thing. The hotel/marina area is very relaxing. The room was awesome. The grounds are beautiful. The service was great. I really liked it. It was a relaxing stay. If you want to head out, there's a lot to do within about a 30 min drive. Stores, malls, etc are a few miles away.

I will be back. The 4 days I did here worked out great for us. Our main goal was to chill. This fit the bill for us.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Just got back from a stay here with my 2 teenagers. I used suite rewards and they promised me a 1 bedroom suite, so via email I asked if I could get a pull out sofa or trundle bed as the suite had 1 king bed, they replied that trundle beds were $28 per day and all pull out sofas were on the second floor, I responded saying I would prefer to be on a higher floor and could I use my suite rewards towards a 2 bedroom suite. On check in they came through with the 2 bedroom suite, which is basically a 2 bedroom condo.
For my platinum amenity I took breakfast despite being pushed towards free valet parking, so next morning we headed down to Marker 92 and each had a glass of juice, then 1 coffee, 1 tea, 1 pancakes and 2 orders of eggs. $72 are you effing kidding me!!! I got $18 per person of with my amenity, so my bill was $32 they added an automatic 20% gratuity on the $72. After that we went to publix and bought some cereal and milk. I tried to use the coffee pot but it did not work correctly, so after that I used my breakfast amenity to get coffee and tea to go - they still added the 20% to the tab.

The Nauti mermaid has a great happy hour the $6 flatbreads are great value especially with 2 hungry teenagers to feed, the $4 house Pinot grigio was also pretty good. just wish they opened for breakfast.

Maid service was spotty at best one day she made up the kids room but not mine, and for some reason decided to charge me for the bottled water that I had not drank. I had reception adjust the bill and also asked why it was not included in the resort fee.

The water taxi to For Myers is great fun and 3 hours was long enough for us at the beach.

The one extra trip we did take on Banana Bay tours was awesome they picked us up at the hotel and I gave them a glowing review on trip advisor. The fort Myers water taxi also offers dolphin tours but I would recommend the Eco tour with Banana Bay.

Aside from the 2 restaurants at the hotel the only other restaurant in walking distance is Pinchers crab shack. I ordered the oysters and was scared to eat 2 of them warm, slimy oysters are not my favorite food, the rest of the food was ok but salty.

The main reason I booked this hotel was because I got $90 per night and knew I could use suite rewards, all the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area hotels were at least $260 and up per night. I enjoyed the break and the View, seeing dolphins from your balcony is amazing but there really is nothing here and if you want to explore the area you will definitely need a car. Three days was long enough her as we all just wanted to relax and recharge before the holidays but I don't think I'll be back.

Last edited by MME2YYZ; Dec 13, 2013 at 9:49 pm
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:25 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
For my platinum amenity I took breakfast despite being pushed towards free valet parking, so next morning we headed down to Marker 92 and each had a glass of juice, then 1 coffee, 1 tea, 1 pancakes and 2 orders of eggs. $72 are you effing kidding me!!! I got $18 per person of with my amenity, so my bill was $32 they added an automatic 20% gratuity on the $72. After that we went to publix and bought some cereal and milk. I tried to use the coffee pot but it did not work correctly, so after that I used my breakfast amenity to get coffee and tea to go - they still added the 20% to the tab.
I expect to tip on the full billed price of a comped meal, whether it's a free SPG breakfast or it's a free dinner at my friend's restaurant. The server works just as hard delivering a free meal as they do a comped one, and they rely on the tips from every table they serve for their income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.