Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Cairo, Egypt

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Cairo, Egypt

Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:35 am

I can only add a little bit.

RE - arriving on an internal flight - absolutely no need for greeters. When I've flown from/to Sharm from Cairo I just got my bags and headed out of the airport.

Re - JW. Yes the hotel is a nice building, etc. BUT if you stay here you better have some real directions to the hotel and be able to convey them to a taxi driver. I had a terrible experience getting to this hotel - and that was when I knew other people that had the SAME experience - so I came prepared with the name/address/phone number - I ended up calling the hotel no fewer than 5 times to try to get the taxi driver to the hotel!! It took an hour and a half from the airport and involved driving the wrong way down the ring road for about 1/2 a kilometer at night!!! And to top it off the driver wanted a tip when we got there for all the extra time!!! Its one of those things I'll never forget.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I thought the JW was basically an airport hotel? How could a cabbie mess that up?

I suppose with the downtown Marriott, if the cabbie had no clue where the hotel was I could ask for the Cairo Museum. It sounds like the Marriott is next to the Museum...or at least close enough to walk? (Not that I *want* to, but in a pinch...)
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:59 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I wouldn't say it is an "airport hotel", but it is definitely closer to the airport. Right now, it is kind of out all by itself. There isn't much else around the hotel.

As for the Nile Marriott's location, you would be on the opposite side of the river from the Museum, but still not far, maybe a mile or so. A taxi driver shouldn't have any issues with finding the Nile Marriott. Since the JW Marriott is so new and away from everything else in the city, I could see where a taxi driver might have an issue.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:19 am

The JW is not an airport hotel at all. It's just closer to the airport than downtown hotels.

Heliopolis, where the JW is lcoated, is more of a residential area where upper middle class Egyptians live. Theres nothing going on there but it's safe and very nice. When people want to go out at night or go shopping, they go to the Zamalek or Mohandessein area of Cairo.

The Cairo Marriott is in Zamalek and therefore, in the middle of everything. Zamelek is where old money and kings lived. It would be compared to Beverly Hills here in Southern California. I would prefer to stay in the Cairo Marriott.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I stayed at the one in downtown Cairo and it was great - nice location, rooms, and the people were awesome.

one of the bellmen hooked me up with a driver for the day for less than $10 around downtown. i'm sure it was a hike for the driver but cheaper than i couldve negotiated on my own
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, it's settled: I'm doing the downtown Marriott.

Next question: when I go to book the award, I'm offered two choices - standard room or Diplomatic Suite for $140 extra per night.

Is the Diplomatic Suite something that a Plat would likely be upgraded to free of charge? This hotel lists itself as having a lot of suites. I know all the disclaimers - subject to availability, etc. Trying to figure out if it's worth that much money to confirm the suite at booking time.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:53 am

Just finished my Cairo Marriott stay. Overall, a good hotel. Excellent lounge open 7 days a week.

I did not pay for an upgrade to a suite because it didn't appear you could confirm one with two double beds. I was not offered an upgrade - perhaps because of the need for 2 beds - but our room on the 16th floor was nice. No complaints...short walk up two flights to the lounge. (I was too tired at checkin to even ask for a C-level room...just wanted a high floor.)

We received three complimentary amenities over the course of the stay - the usual Plat arrival gift, a fruit basket, and a tray with some little desserts on it.

Rooms are very clean and updated - firm mattresses, a flatscreen TV with about 70 channels in a variety of languages, and a roomy bathroom with a good shower.

The hotel is very busy...1000 rooms or so, among the biggest in Cairo. We felt that the onsite restaurants were pretty overpriced even by hotel standards - a beer was almost double what it was at the Hilton Luxor.

The surrounding neighborhood has quite a few good restaurant choices. We ate breakfast and evening snacks in the lounge but otherwise did not eat much at the property. On our 2nd night there, there was some civil unrest in the streets around the Algerian embassy just north of the hotel. But once that was put down, a heavy presence of riot police remained on the streets for the next three days. There are many embassies in the area so lots of security everywhere in general. We felt safe walking around at night.

I could find no free Internet access anywhere in the hotel - not in the lobby or lounge. I could find free WiFi on the street...enough to check email via a smartphone...but that was it.

Many taxis hang around the Marriott 24/7. We had no problem hailing one at 2AM to get to CAI for our flight. Some travel guides advise never using a hotel bellman to hail a cab but I did not find that doing so at the Marriott impaired our ability to get a fair price.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel. I think basing any kind of long stay in Heliopolis would require you to spend a lot of time in traffic. Being in a central location in Cairo is key...walking distance to the Egyptian Museum, downtown, and the Metro and a short cab ride to the other neighborhoods of interest.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I'm looking at a possible 1-night points stay at one of these properties. When checking for availability, there was no option to book a standard room at the Cairo Marriott for 3 people, despite having rooms with 2 double beds. Has anyone had any experience staying here in a room with 3 people?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I'm looking at a possible 1-night points stay at one of these properties. When checking for availability, there was no option to book a standard room at the Cairo Marriott for 3 people, despite having rooms with 2 double beds. Has anyone had any experience staying here in a room with 3 people?
We stayed in a two-bed room. It was a standard Marriott hotel room - it would sleep up to four people comfortably. The beds were queens.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by pinniped
We stayed in a two-bed room. It was a standard Marriott hotel room - it would sleep up to four people comfortably. The beds were queens.
Yes, but were you more than 2 people staying in the room? I see availability for 2-bed rooms, but they won't let me reserve with more than 2 people in the room, and the room type states the maximum occupancy is 2 people - which I find a bit ridiculous for a 2 double bed room.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Yes, but were you more than 2 people staying in the room? I see availability for 2-bed rooms, but they won't let me reserve with more than 2 people in the room, and the room type states the maximum occupancy is 2 people - which I find a bit ridiculous for a 2 double bed room.
No - it was just one person per bed. I'm saying it could have slept 4. I have no idea why Marriott.com won't allow you to book 3 or 4.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

I stayed at he Cairo Marriott and it's a beautiful oasis in the middle of Cairo.

But anyway, there could a "we have a failure to communicate" situation here.

The website will say "double bed." The website means two single-sized beds and you could be thinking "two full-sized beds." I had the same problem years ago at another hotel in another city.

Two single-sized beds sleeps only two.

Two full-sized (or "double") sized beds sleep four.

I wanted a double bed for my BF and me, we want walk into the room and there were two single beds!

IMO anyway.

David
Old Dec 16, 2009, 9:32 am

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll probably just call the hotel to confirm the sleeping arrangements when I'm ready to book. It's probably just a computer input error or something - I once stayed at a hotel (non-Marriott) and had a reservation for a room with 2 doubles and a fridge/microwave, only to find on arrival they had no such configuration! Tell that to your reservation system, I said...
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
In for 1 night and want to see the pyramids and museum. Anyone have any strong reason a plat shouldn't choose LeMeridien Pyramids?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by schley
In for 1 night and want to see the pyramids and museum. Anyone have any strong reason a plat shouldn't choose LeMeridien Pyramids?
Not a bad hotel at all. If you have a rate you can upgrade via points, it might be worth paying a small amount for one of the larger suites there, unless you wish to take your chances with an upgrade. The upgrade cost in miles was tiny (1,000 per night) when we stayed, so well worth it for the extra space and a view of the pyramids.

The lounge is ok, but nothing exceptional. Besides that, we enjoyed our stay there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.