Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Cairo, Egypt

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near Cairo, Egypt

Old May 18, 2021, 8:03 am
  #181  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,946
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I think you misunderstood: The new admin capital is the seat of government offices. It is absolutely not a tourist destination.

StR Cairo is the one you want.
Ahhh got it, thanks.
mileageking is offline  
Old May 19, 2021, 6:32 am
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,294
I'll be at the Mena House this weekend and will report back. After consulting with a couple of fellow FTers, I considered the new St. R., but it does not participate in the SNA program and no guarantee of a good view unless I paid for it directly; and only base rooms were available for an award stay.

I ended up chosing the Conrad; next to the St. R. I am a Diamond, and through email, I was guaranteed a room with a view (although it may not be a suite). I do plan to walkthrough the St. R., however. I'll report back.
dcstudent likes this.
lamphs is offline  
Old Jun 18, 2021, 3:17 am
  #183  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Posts: 759
Hi all, we are heading to Egypt / Jordan for 8 nights in October. flying into CAI and returning from AMM. I haven't booked the one-way CAI-AMM flight yet, but I'm thinking 3 nights in CAI and 5 nights in Jordan. Since we will probably be hotel-hopping in Jordan, I'd like to do all 3 nights in Cairo at the same hotel.

Mena House shows sold out for our dates.

Marriott Omar Khayyam Casino for $75 / night
Sheraton for $97 / night
Nile Ritz Carlton & St. Regis are both available on points for 95,000 for the whole 3-night stay, but its only basic rooms for points redemption and I can't use SNAs for these properties.

I am typically not that fancy, & could probably be happy at the Sheraton if there's a lounge and breakfast. I feel like the Marriott is a bit dated based on the reviews.

95,000 points for the whole stay seems like the deal of the century (especially when they want 60,000 points for the FOUR POINTS in Juneau Alaska this week for my trip there. Yes I know its peak season in AK, but ... come on. its a FOUR POINTS lol). Anyways, if you had to pick between the two luxury properties for the same points value, which would you choose and why? Or should I just book the Sheraton, maybe pay a bit extra for a better room and hope for an upgrade?

cheers,
PF
PurdueFlyer is online now  
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:34 am
  #184  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,294
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Hi all, we are heading to Egypt / Jordan for 8 nights in October. flying into CAI and returning from AMM. I haven't booked the one-way CAI-AMM flight yet, but I'm thinking 3 nights in CAI and 5 nights in Jordan. Since we will probably be hotel-hopping in Jordan, I'd like to do all 3 nights in Cairo at the same hotel.

Mena House shows sold out for our dates.

Marriott Omar Khayyam Casino for $75 / night
Sheraton for $97 / night
Nile Ritz Carlton & St. Regis are both available on points for 95,000 for the whole 3-night stay, but its only basic rooms for points redemption and I can't use SNAs for these properties.

I am typically not that fancy, & could probably be happy at the Sheraton if there's a lounge and breakfast. I feel like the Marriott is a bit dated based on the reviews.

95,000 points for the whole stay seems like the deal of the century (especially when they want 60,000 points for the FOUR POINTS in Juneau Alaska this week for my trip there. Yes I know its peak season in AK, but ... come on. its a FOUR POINTS lol). Anyways, if you had to pick between the two luxury properties for the same points value, which would you choose and why? Or should I just book the Sheraton, maybe pay a bit extra for a better room and hope for an upgrade?

cheers,
PF
There are others on here more knowledgeable than I about the area and perhaps they'll chime in. I see you are Titanium. And I posted recent reviews of the Mena House and the St. Regis (May 2021 stays) in those threads. I was also told by at least one other FTer that Sheraton >Marriott. I e-mailed the St. Regis before my stay and asked about a room with a view of the Nile. As a Platinum, I received an Astor Room, after booking the base room, and an excellent breakfast (again see my review as breakfast was not proactively offered as a welcome gift). If I return to Cairo, I'd checkout the Sheraton as the St. Regis is a bit too nice for me!

I cannot comment on location except to say the St. Regis (and I stayed in the Conrad next door before the St. Regis) is well located via Uber for many of the non-Giza sites. I am not sure that I'd stay at the Mena House again, as it is on the other side of the Nile, unless I specifically wanted to see the pyramids again. I am thinking it would be almost an hour ride from the Mena House to many of the other sites.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
lamphs is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:36 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Posts: 5,792
After completing the Cairo leg of my trip, here are my subjective and non-scientific rankings of the properties I tried. As always, full reviews and photos are in the respective master threads for each property.
  1. St. Regis Cairo - great bed, amazing breakfast, shower pressure could be better
  2. Westin Cairo - great bed, great breakfast, large suite, shower pressure could be better
  3. Nile Ritz-Carlton - great bed, nice service, shower pressure could be better
  4. Marriott Mena House - lovely bed, amazing shower pressure, nice lounge, breakfast could be improved
  5. Sheraton Cairo - comfortable, nice service, nice lounge, a bit dated
  6. Le Meridien Cairo Airport - nice bed, nice shower, nice lounge offering
  7. Cairo Marriott - really liked the room, but service and the lounge offering could be improved
  8. St. Regis Almasa - nice, but a bit too big and a bit eerie, way too far away from everything and everyone else
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2023, 11:15 pm
  #186  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Qatar Privilege Club Silver
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
After completing the Cairo leg of my trip, here are my subjective and non-scientific rankings of the properties I tried. As always, full reviews and photos are in the respective master threads for each property.
  1. St. Regis Cairo - great bed, amazing breakfast, shower pressure could be better
  2. Westin Cairo - great bed, great breakfast, large suite, shower pressure could be better
  3. Nile Ritz-Carlton - great bed, nice service, shower pressure could be better
  4. Marriott Mena House - lovely bed, amazing shower pressure, nice lounge, breakfast could be improved
  5. Sheraton Cairo - comfortable, nice service, nice lounge, a bit dated
  6. Le Meridien Cairo Airport - nice bed, nice shower, nice lounge offering
  7. Cairo Marriott - really liked the room, but service and the lounge offering could be improved
  8. St. Regis Almasa - nice, but a bit too big and a bit eerie, way too far away from everything and everyone else
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful, especially since I have a trip to Cairo coming up...
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Kara5930 is offline  
Old May 16, 2023, 7:52 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: Asiamiles, ANA, Avios
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
After completing the Cairo leg of my trip, here are my subjective and non-scientific rankings of the properties I tried. As always, full reviews and photos are in the respective master threads for each property.
  1. St. Regis Cairo - great bed, amazing breakfast, shower pressure could be better
  2. Westin Cairo - great bed, great breakfast, large suite, shower pressure could be better
  3. Nile Ritz-Carlton - great bed, nice service, shower pressure could be better
  4. Marriott Mena House - lovely bed, amazing shower pressure, nice lounge, breakfast could be improved
  5. Sheraton Cairo - comfortable, nice service, nice lounge, a bit dated
  6. Le Meridien Cairo Airport - nice bed, nice shower, nice lounge offering
  7. Cairo Marriott - really liked the room, but service and the lounge offering could be improved
  8. St. Regis Almasa - nice, but a bit too big and a bit eerie, way too far away from everything and everyone else
Very much appreciated for your info. I have an upcoming Cairo trip in June and am choosing among hotels....
dgreen12 and EuropeanPete like this.
kwokkalun is offline  
Old May 1, 2024, 6:44 am
  #188  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Europe
Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Posts: 1,464
What happened to Le Mridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa ??
It's still on the bonvoy website, but not dates available to book.
Last tripadvisor review is from 2 years ago.
In any case reviews were pretty bad, so not surprised if it closed.
Just strange it's still on the bonvoy website.
est-gratuite is offline  
Old May 1, 2024, 7:06 am
  #189  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Brazil and USA
Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
Posts: 214
I think that the St. Regis sets a new standard for luxury in Cairo (now followed by Waldorf Astoria), no basic rooms there. Great butler service.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Phillbsb1979 is offline  
Old May 13, 2024, 12:09 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alameda, CA, USA
Posts: 4,934
I really want to stay at the St. Regis Almasa for the first couple of nights since all we'll be doing is recovering from jet lag anyway. But I think my wife might kill me if I make us all (family of 5) sit in a car for all that extra time. Unfortunately most of the properties don't allow three guests in a room online, so I'll have to call to see if I can get a redemption at the Ritz Carlton or St. Regis in the city. I called months ago and the agent managed to figure out something for us for the Mena House.
alamedaguy is offline  
Old May 13, 2024, 5:24 pm
  #191  
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Posts: 8,812
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
What happened to Le Mridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa ??
It's still on the bonvoy website, but not dates available to book.
Last tripadvisor review is from 2 years ago.
In any case reviews were pretty bad, so not surprised if it closed.
Just strange it's still on the bonvoy website.
It looked extremely closed when I drove by.
EuropeanPete is online now  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 3:25 am
  #192  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 285
Is the new St. Regis really nice? We just want to fly in go to hotel sleep, then next day see pyramids and fly out at night. So just want a really nice and safe place for a night.
GratefulSmile is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2024, 6:18 am
  #193  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Posts: 5,792
Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Is the new St. Regis really nice? We just want to fly in go to hotel sleep, then next day see pyramids and fly out at night. So just want a really nice and safe place for a night.
What do you mean by new St Regis? If you mean Almasa in the New Administrative Capital, that would be a horrid location for Giza. If you mean the St Regis that is downtown, that's a nice property.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.