Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Questions about travel industry rate [Merged threads]

Questions about travel industry rate [Merged threads]

Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by socrates
The terms and conditions for this qualified discount does clearly state the terms and conditions of the program
I'll both agree and disagree with you on this.

First, I have never seen any TVL rate T&Cs state anything about MR points being or not being awarded. The rate rules seem to not mention anything concerning the MR program. So I'm not sure i can agree that they "clearly" state the terms concerning whether or not you should receive your points or night credits.

Second, the rates though have been very clear in who can use them (i.e. travel industry employees, TAs, and what forms of id would be required.) If the rate specifically states it is for TAs ONLY and requires their TA indentification, then I knew I couldn't use it. And I don't remember ever trying to use it.

Also, I would expect TAs to understand the rules of using the TA only rates and what they provide. So basically only people who are not really TAs, but trying to use the TA only rate are the ones that might be surprised (assuming they aren't even asked for their id's anyway.)

Note that the only time I have ever been asked to show id proof for a rate with any Marriott hotel has been with the Travel Industry rate. I don't remember ever needing to provide proof even when I used the Gov't rate in the past (though admitedly I have only had a few instances where I needed to use that rate.)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
you don't really think anyone on this forum actually reads, let alone wants to abide, by the T&Cs do you? if they did, this forum wouldn't have any more posts!!
A little over the top. Many on this forum read & abide by T&Cs. But as hhoope01 points out w/ respect to this particular issue, the T&Cs don't 'clearly' mention the MR program & what qualifies/doesn't. It does say if id is required, etc. And goodness knows we've seen multiple examples in other areas where the T&Cs aren't expressly clear (ie, Marriott didn't word things specifically), which leads to a # of discussions on the forum.

Besides, if people read the T&Cs & didn't have any questions, you wouldn't have a chance to post in every thread read the T&Cs, here are the T&Cs

Cheers.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
I am so confused!

I just completed a stay at the Bournemouth UK Marriott and they have only credited me the Platinum 500 welcome gift. No points for my Food and Beverage and room charges and no nights credit.

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times this year and received credit each time.

Phoned the hotel and spoken to like a naughty child and told the Travel Industry rates never get nights/points credit. The attitude of the staff member was so bad it made me angry. She had a real "how dare you even ask" attitude. Then told me to call Marriott Rewards to take up the matter. When I tyried to explain I had used the rate previously she stopped listening and told me it was nothing to do with the Hotel.

The rate was 90 a night, not that cheap actually. And the conditions and amount was exactly the same as the previous twice I stayed.

I think we need some definitive answer about this one. I have 20 or so nights booked this year at this rate and the lack of points/nights credit would influence my choice of hotel as SPG definitely give credits on these rates.

I will contact the MR office and post results later.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
there are no listed exclusions for travel industry rates:
Earn Points - http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi

Originally Posted by markzz2
I am so confused!

I just completed a stay at the Bournemouth UK Marriott and they have only credited me the Platinum 500 welcome gift. No points for my Food and Beverage and room charges and no nights credit.

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times this year and received credit each time.

Phoned the hotel and spoken to like a naughty child and told the Travel Industry rates never get nights/points credit. The attitude of the staff member was so bad it made me angry. She had a real "how dare you even ask" attitude. Then told me to call Marriott Rewards to take up the matter. When I tyried to explain I had used the rate previously she stopped listening and told me it was nothing to do with the Hotel.

The rate was 90 a night, not that cheap actually. And the conditions and amount was exactly the same as the previous twice I stayed.

I think we need some definitive answer about this one. I have 20 or so nights booked this year at this rate and the lack of points/nights credit would influence my choice of hotel as SPG definitely give credits on these rates.

I will contact the MR office and post results later.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
there are no listed exclusions for travel industry rates:
Earn Points - http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi
Thanks for that.

I called Marriott in the US. Got shunted around three different departments, none of which could tell me any details about eligibility.

Eventually the fourth (very nice) person at Marriott Rewards in San Antonio Texas looked through papers and told me that the only rates NOT eligible for Marriott points/nights credit are Friends and Family Rates, FAMtastic rates and any specially negotiated bulk/contract rates that are not available on line but individually applied.

So TVL rates ARE eligible for all benefits and nights credit. Nothing has changed.

It is a shame the Hotel were not able to help me with this. Surely the details of rates and benefits should be available to the properties?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver
So TVL rates ARE eligible for all benefits and nights credit. Nothing has changed.
I belive you are correct. FWIW l have one of each type of rate, TVL and Famtastic, reserved in January for short stays so will see if the TVL rate earns anything but won't be upset if it doesn't as it's a good rate below any others publicly available.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Thanks for that.

I called Marriott in the US. Got shunted around three different departments, none of which could tell me any details about eligibility.

Eventually the fourth (very nice) person at Marriott Rewards in San Antonio Texas looked through papers and told me that the only rates NOT eligible for Marriott points/nights credit are Friends and Family Rates, FAMtastic rates and any specially negotiated bulk/contract rates that are not available on line but individually applied.

It is a shame the Hotel were not able to help me with this. Surely the details of rates and benefits should be available to the properties?
were you at a Famtastic rate? These are travel industry rates and are cluster coded accordingly (I believe)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:31 pm

Never heard of FAMtastic until the other day.

I understand it is a Familiarisation rate for Travel Agents and Tour operators only so I am not eligible as I work for an airline (and not in a sales focussed position).

I read on hear though that the FAMtastic rates are very good value even compared to the TVL rate which often are more expensive than normal published weekend or promotional rates.

For example the TVL rate currently for the JW in Bangkok is THB 5280 which is exactly the same as the Advance Purchase public rate advertised. So why would one be eligible for points and nights and the other not?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Never heard of FAMtastic until the other day.

I understand it is a Familiarisation rate for Travel Agents and Tour operators only so I am not eligible as I work for an airline (and not in a sales focussed position).

I read on hear though that the FAMtastic rates are very good value even compared to the TVL rate which often are more expensive than normal published weekend or promotional rates.

For example the TVL rate currently for the JW in Bangkok is THB 5280 which is exactly the same as the Advance Purchase public rate advertised. So why would one be eligible for points and nights and the other not?
just like with airlines - the rate charged/paid has nothing to do with eligibility to earn credit in a loyalty program...the fare code or rate program is the determining factor
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: hyatt gold passport,virgin flying club,HH,Hertz Gold.
travel industry illegibility

Can anyone answer what is the criteria for the travel industry rate with Marriott, is it just for travel agents or anyone who works in the travel industry and can produce id.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:02 pm

Varies by hotel

Check rate rules as it varies by hotel. Mosr are for airline staff as well. It says specifically. Have found that Ritzs are always travel agent only.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
What I saw the topic name, "travel industry illegibility," I expected a complaint about people in the travel industry whose handwriting isn't clear enough to be read.

I get it it. Travel industry eligibility. Isn't auto-correct grand?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Back when TA's handwrote tickets on stock, illegibility was a bigger problem.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by neza
Can anyone answer what is the criteria for the travel industry rate with Marriott, is it just for travel agents or anyone who works in the travel industry and can produce id.
The travel industry discounted rate is open to both TA's and others. The more discounted "famtastic" rate however is only available to TA's who've completed the Marriott Excellence study program and who can present valid program certificates upon check-in along with travel I.D.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:15 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ordflyboy
Check rate rules as it varies by hotel.
This has been my experience. I've seen some hotels that limit the rate to only Travel Agents and others extend it to employees of "travel" companies (i.e. Airlines, etc.). Some will allow contractors to use the rate and some won't. You really need to check with each hotel you might plan to use the rate with. Some want to see an employee badge. Some will allow a letter from the company (on official company letterhead) be sufficient for ID. Some will state you have to have a valid TA ID.

The rate rules will normally spell out exactly what is required by that hotel. And if there is any doubt on your part, I would suggest calling the hotel directly and talk with a manager to verify. (I would also suggest documenting exactly what was talked about with a follow-up email to that manager.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.