Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Charleston, SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Charleston, SC

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Charleston Resident

I live in Charleston, basically both hotels are nice, it all depends what you want. Most of the nice restaurants, Grille 225, Magnolia's, High Cotton are all on East Bay and Market. That puts the Renaissance hotel a little closer. The Courtyard just finished taking over the Holiday Inn and remolding it, that's on Calhoun and Meeting, really nice place, had some family stay there 3 weeks ago. If you can get the Courtyard at a better rate, I would take it, you wont notice much difference in my opinion over the Renaissance. Being in the historic district is a little more hype that actually is, the city is very safe to walk around and at night a few extra block doesn't make the world of difference. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
One more side note, I highly recommend Halls Chop House on upper King Street, one of the best steak houses I have ever been to.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:40 am

Agree with Fripp. Have stayed at the Ren and it's within easy walking distance for historic area and many good restaurants. Room was nice and service very good.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:52 pm

The Ren is good but not great. The key is parking, which is extremely tight in Charleston. There is deck across the street from the Ren.
Old May 3, 2011, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Fripp
If you are looking to stay in the historic district, you will want to stay at the Rennaissance. It is within walking distance of the market and of numerous shops and restaurants. If you want to experience any of Charleston's charm, you will want to stay there.

The Courtyard is a nice hotel but is a bit remote. It is near the historic district, but it is certainly not within walking distance of restaurants or shops.

There is a Marriott in Charleston as well, and is a nice hotel, but once again is not in the historic district.

I have stayed in all three and I usually stay in the Marriott or the Courtyard. Both are good hotels and serve my purposes. If I were a tourist and wanting to see Charleston for a weekend or a short visit, I would choose the Rennaissance without hesitation.
I believe you are confusing the Charleston Riverview Courtyard with the Courtyard Charleston Historic District.....I agree the Riverview Courtyard (by the Marriott) while downtown isn't walking distance to the historic district, on the other hand the CY Historic District is at Meeting and Calhoun St in the middle of the Historic District (on the square too)
Old May 3, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
Originally Posted by socrates
I believe you are confusing the Charleston Riverview Courtyard with the Courtyard Charleston Historic District.....I agree the Riverview Courtyard (by the Marriott) while downtown isn't walking distance to the historic district, on the other hand the CY Historic District is at Meeting and Calhoun St in the middle of the Historic District (on the square too)

You are correct. Thank you.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Youngmiler, is the Ren a historic building?
Old May 5, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
The Ren is a nice property and a perfect location, but it has no lounge.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Charleston resident here a well.

No Marriott property is overly stellar but the Ren is nice. I put my mother up there and she enjoyed it but she never used the services at the hotel. The Courtyard Historic District is 3 weeks new and the rates are through the roof (well north of $300) which is ridiculous. Be advised that construction is still going on at the backside of the hotel so I would stay away until it is fully opened.

The Courtyard Riverview and the Marriott Riverviews are just okay and have a $5 shuttle ride round trip from the hotel to the drop off point at the waterfront. That pass is good all day. These two hotels are in the Medical district so not much around but a quick 5 minute drive puts you in the middle of everything.

So, go with the Ren and keep your expectations lower because as YoungMiler said, staying in the historic district is just one of those things to say that you simply did.

PS-Agree with the restaurants but one of my favorites is right outside of the lobby of the hotel. Take a left once you exit the reception desk and head toward Society street. Right across the street is a restaurant called Muse that is housed in a Charleston style house. One of the best mid priced restaurants in this city, IMO of course.

So,
Old May 5, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Youngmiler, is the Ren a historic building?
No the Renaissance is not a historic building. Also, personally my recommendation is the Courtyard on Calhoun and Meeting. The Renaissance is a tourist trap and also the Courtyard has a lot of parking. Both are good hotels, enjoy Charleston Old Hickory.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I like the Riverview property that overlooks the boats, but do the Ren. Ask for the top floor room at the end of the hallway. It is a little bigger and has windows on both sides of the hotel. If you call the hotel and ask, the should know which room this is. You have a couple pretty cool views from this room because you are above the other buildings.

I am on a plane right now, but if the hotel doesn't know what room I am referencing, PM me and I can find the room number in an old expense report. Or search my previous posts. I think someone asked and I posted the room previously.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
We stayed at the Ren Charleston Historic District on cash and points, otherwise it's pricey. Not really a historic building but right smack in the middle of historic downtown Charleston - 15 minute walk to either the Battery or Upper King Street. And, as mentioned, public parking across the street.

The property, staff, facilites were all fine. We were offered one free breakfast per day for Plat status and used it only once (too many good local food options).

The Courtyard is several blocks away and the Marriott even more. For a historical and/or walking visit of Charleston, the Ren is the way to go.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
We were offered one free breakfast per day for Plat status.
Was that M-F only, or did it include the weekend? Please advise & I'll update the sticky. Thx!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
We stayed at the Ren Charleston Historic District on cash and points, otherwise it's pricey. Not really a historic building but right smack in the middle of historic downtown Charleston - 15 minute walk to either the Battery or Upper King Street. And, as mentioned, public parking across the street.

The property, staff, facilites were all fine. We were offered one free breakfast per day for Plat status and used it only once (too many good local food options).

The Courtyard is several blocks away and the Marriott even more. For a historical and/or walking visit of Charleston, the Ren is the way to go.
FYI there are 2 Courtyards in Charleston, 1 a few blocks from the Renaissance and the other over by the Marriott as mentioned above
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
As a Marriott lifetime platinum, I would have preferred a Marriott property for my forthcoming Charleston two night weekend.

But the rates at the Renaissance or CY in the Historic district are outrageous ($300+), and I rarely use MR points for anything less than 5 nights (fifth night free) unless is level 5 or less (in which case I use my free annual credit card night.

So I purchased IHG points with a 50% bonus (recent promotion), and will stay at the new Holiday Inn (1 mile from the Historic District) with the purchased points--effective rate $150 per night.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Carolina.html
Old May 25, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Planning a trip to Charleston in a few weeks. Deciding between the FS Marriott, RI Downtown/Riverview and the SHS Riverview. Does anyone have a strong preference for or against any of those three?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.