Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Stones Hotel, Autograph Collection, Bali [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Stones Hotel, Autograph Collection, Bali [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by jimrpa
I stayed at the Stones for 6 nights over Christmas. " The breakfast buffet was extremely good (as a Platinum I wasn't offered it - they're a "resort" don't you know. However, when I asked about it, they immediately said they'd remove the charges from my bill at checkout since I was a valued Platinum guest, and they did). The location is absolutely horrible - the traffic is a nightmare, and the beach is awful. .
Thanks for the quick info jimrpa- nice summary.
For the breakfast, did you just take it for granted that it was complimentary and requested it to be removed during checkout?
How bad is this traffic? As in bumper to bumper for hours or you will have to factor in 1 hour delays? [am anticipating this for my daytrips]
Any other Plat. benefits offered? e.g. drinks, etc?

I hope when I am there it will not be as crowded with convention crowds.

Cheers!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Thanks for the quick info jimrpa- nice summary.
For the breakfast, did you just take it for granted that it was complimentary and requested it to be removed during checkout?
How bad is this traffic? As in bumper to bumper for hours or you will have to factor in 1 hour delays? [am anticipating this for my daytrips]
Any other Plat. benefits offered? e.g. drinks, etc?

I hope when I am there it will not be as crowded with convention crowds.

Cheers!
Breakfast - during the check-in process, they were describing the restaurants and meals that were available and I asked if the breakfast buffet was complimentary for Platinums. That's when they said that they'd remove the charges from my bill. I never saw them. No other Platinum benefits than the room upgrade and the Food and Beverage discount. Apparently, there are two suites at the hotel on the roof - a "honeymoon suite" and a "Presidential suite". I only found out about them because I noticed a few umbrellas up on the roof and asked a staff member about them. I know nothing more about them. I don't think I'd want to be upgraded to them because of pool access.
Remember, I was there during high season - Christmas week. Let me describe traffic this way: the hotel is about 8 9 9 km from the airport (maybe 5-6 miles). My departure flight left at 9:30 PM. I decided to leave the hotel at 5:30 PM to give myself plenty of time, just in case. Although my driver took a "short cut" (which was a longer route on the map, but the traffic moved faster), I did not get to the airport until after 7:00 PM. Oh, and he wasn't running up the meter, because we agreed on a fare before we departed the hotel. Needless to say, I still have him a large tip. No, walking wouldn't have been faster - motorbikes use the sidewalks as extra traffic lanes. You would have been run over on the few usable sidewalks. I'm told that traffic in Kuta/Depensar is always miserable. I was told, for example, that if I wanted to hike up the volcano, I should plan on leaving the hotel not later than 3:00 AM. Similarly for going dolphin watching off the northern part of the island. My recommendation is to go to Google Maps, and look at the general layout of the island. The hotel is just above and to the left of the airport.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Short review- Jan 2014

Hi,

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this property (and 1 night at the CY Nusa Dua). Thus all my comments and opinions would be more of a comparison between the two.

Location: I prefer the Nusa Dua area, even though in a gated area, there is less hordes of tourist outside of this gated area compared to Kuta/Legian. Beach area around Kuta is slightly better (water seems calmer), but on the other hand, how often do we ever go swimming in the sea/ocean.

Elite treatment: As a Plat, I do feel that CY shows more appreciation compared to the AC Stones.
CY: received free 15 min foot reflexology, 50k INR off Spa treatment, free breakfast, and as Plat arrival gift - beer or soft drink + ice-cream/nuts/cheese (despite 2 guests, Plat gift was clearly only for 1 person), was upgraded to a pool view room. Generic: recived a cool towel and cold juice at check-in
AC: they claimed 20% off all F&B (excluding alcoholic drinks) - but at their bar close to the road, they were already offering 20% off (so no idea wy this is seen as a benefit), was upgraded to a pool view room (w/o bath nor jacuzzi pool). Plat gift very similar to CY. Had a welcome gift in the room, local chocolates (exotic - chili and sea salt flavoured) and a bucket for the 'catch of the day' to be claimed at the pool bar/restaurant (more on this later). I do not know about breakfast since my rate included breakfast. Generic: took a while, but received the infamous icecream and the special magic environmentally friendly cold towel.

Bedroom/Hard product: AC wins here, new modern interior with some wow factors. CY not far behind, just standard CY beddings. Rooms were slightly bigger at the AC. AC had a more modern and bright overall feeling compared to the CY. Breakfast spread at the AC was much better, and one of the first for me to have ice-cream as part of the option.

Soft product: This is where the AC failed rather miserably in my opinion compared to the CY. As mentioned earlier, CY seems to show more appreciation compared to the AC. Friendliness level at both properties from staff was top, not a suprise since this is Indonesia. Failures mainly at
i) check-in: waited for nearly 20 mins before I could check-in with only 2 staff working to check in a family of 5 before me. Both staff seemed overwhelmed by this small family - no idea why? At CY was immediately helped.
ii) the welcome gift - no one knew what it was, including both the check-in staff (in the end they had to call the pool restaurant to ask about it). Turned out to be fried calamari. I was told that I could claim this (one time only) anytime during my stay when I bring the bucket + voucher to the pool restaurant/bar. I thus left this in the room to claim this the next day when I had more time. However, despite putting it aside, housekeeping took away the bucket + voucher. I called Guest service to complain (twice), and they promised to get back to me, but no one did. I informed at check out on this, and only thing I received was an apology.
iii) upgrade - I felt it was quite sad that despite being informed that the occupancy rate at the hotel was low (during my stay period), they could not further put me in a room with the bathtub or private jaccuzzi.
iv) Food quality @ breakfast: Even though the selection was slightly better at the AC compare to the CY, the food quality was questionable. Some of the food seemed to have been left too long and was either overcooked or dried.
v) The AC seems to cater to large tour groups compared to the CY. So I can imagine if the hotel had full occupancy, the pool and breakfast area would be overwhelmed.
vi) room cleaning service - I took with me the provided bug spray that was provided for my outing, and I had expected them to replace it, but nothing was replaced.

All in all, for the price you have to pay for the AC, I see all the listed setback, both big and small, as a big disappointment. If I were to return to Bali, I would definitely go back to the CY for both location and service purposes.

Cheers!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the review of both properties. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I stayed at the Stones for 6 nights over Christmas. "Resort" is a bit of a misnomer. I'd say it's more like a Renaissance hotel, as opposed to a "resort". There are no real grounds to the property. There are the hotel buildings, the pool, and that's it. As a platinum, I got a first floor, pool facing room, which was nice. Instead of a balcony with a tub, those rooms have a step down jacuzzi facing the pool, with a light curtain you can close for privacy or to keep the sun out. The food at the restaurant is very good (they claim to have three restaurants but as near as I could tell, the only difference was indoor versus outdoor, and close to the pool versus slightly farther from the pool). The breakfast buffet was extremely good (as a Platinum I wasn't offered it - they're a "resort" don't you know. However, when I asked about it, they immediately said they'd remove the charges from my bill at checkout since I was a valued Platinum guest, and they did). The location is absolutely horrible - the traffic is a nightmare, and the beach is awful. You will be spending your time at the pool, or sitting in traffic waiting to get out of town to get anywhere interesting. This is definitely not a "sit on the beach and chill" resort. Honestly, it should be renamed "the Stones Hotel and Convention Center" (they do have a large convention facility). The staff is very good (although the folks who handle organization tours and excursions seem a bit inept). The rooms are nice but very bland. Oh, no mosquitoes that I noticed. Mostly Aussies on holiday which made it a lot of fun! Some guests from other parts of APAC. I was the odd-ball with the funny accent (American).
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm gonna look elsewhere for my upcoming trip.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:45 am

Was looking to burn a free MR VISA cat. 5 night certificate which would have otherwise gone to waste... but that's a post for another thread....

I'll be here for a 3 night stay in a couple of weeks. I'd like to visit some shops and sites outside hotel grounds. The traffic issues people report are a concern... I'll report back.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold
Sorry to bump this. I'll be staying here on a paid LNF stay rate without breakfast. Was just wondering if they'll provide bfast for Elite Golds on paid stays?

If they don't, I might just switch elsewhere.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Just completed yet another 3-night stay at the Stones.

Like last year, and the year before that, about a week prior to arrival this property reached out to me after responding to their Concierge notice of an upcoming stay wherein I requested a non-first floor pool facing room and upgraded us to a Garden Suite (approx. 67SM).

Upon checkin, albeit P, we were informed that our rate included breakfast so can’t say if G/Ps do get breakfast here or not (last year both rooms, including the 2nd room family of 5, did).

The breakfast offered is one of the best I’ve had at any Marriott from fresh egg station to waffles and pancakes. We also had lunch here and the tuna steak is fab.

No lounge but a 2-hour Happy Hour at the pool bar and do I enjoy their vodka sours!

Staff remembers both your name and room # by second day and go out of their way to be helpful.

Personally, we just love this place and have already made reservations for next August (great weather with cool breezes and little or no rain).

The hotel is w/i easy walking distance of many tourist shops, massage places along with restaurants and bars.

Sunsets (since this hotel is on the western side of the island) are magnificent and if you take a tour (we drove last time but got a private car this trip) don’t miss Tanah Lot.

I can’t say that I enjoyed any of the 3-European Autograph Collection props we stayed at earlier this year, but this one stands out as a positive.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Was a bit concerned after reading other reviews, but I had a great (albeit brief) 2 night stay at this property.

As a platinum, I got upgraded to a 70sqm Garden Suite, which was fantastic. Loved the hotel amenities, service, reception etc, and no complaints. A great pool bar as well.

I was only there for 2 days, 1 day by the pool, and 1 day sightseeing, so was perfect for me; no issues faced as described above, and would recommend it for a 'pool holiday' stay.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:42 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Glad you had a good stay.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Considering burning a 7-night cert here, or at the Courtyard. Any thoughts on either? Am concerned that breakfast seems to be a favour, and not a benefit, as well as the beach being terrible. Is this the case?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Platinum l Best Western Diamond l Discovery Platinum l HHonors Diamond
Does anyone have any experience or luck that this resort offer complimentary breakfast for marriott gold member?

Noted that courtyard nusa dua do offer complimentary breakfast for gold member despite it is a resort.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Accor Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Yes, they do give complimentary breakfast for Platinum members
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I stayed at this property a few weeks ago. I had booked a 5 night package rate that included a deluxe suite, 500K IDR vouchers, airport transfers, daily breakfast, 2 welcome drinks, one seafood dinner, and one 50 minute Balinese massage.

My Plat status was recognized at check-in and I was upgraded to a pool view suite.

Suite was very large but quite utilitarian, with what I would characterize as a Scan/Ikea motif.

Pool was nice and location on Legian beach in Kuta was nice. The 500K IDR vouchers were good at a few places at the Boardwalk plaza a new and kind upscale open air shopping center. It paid for my lunches for 5 days.

Breakfast buffet was OK, but no pork products. Beef bacon is NOT a thing and most everyone agreed as they never needed to refill it as it was full for my entire time on every day at breakfast. The turkey/chicken sausage was OK, but still not a replacement for pork sausage. I asked the manager about this and apparently the owner is Muslim and hence the reason for no pork products. I find it telling that he had no problem serving alcohol though. Glad Mr. Marriott doesn't do the same, otherwise we wouldn't have coffee, alcohol, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, etc. For dinner no pork was OK as there was Indonesian roast suckling pig for dinner practically next door, and Tony Roma's baby back pork ribs down at Boardwalk plaza were mighty yummy.

I don't know if I'd stay here again. Prices were quite attractive, which was the main draw for me.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:01 am

Thanks for the update.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.