FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/137795-ritz-carlton-kapalua-maui-master-thread.html)

Boraxo May 11, 2006 12:16 pm

Actually convention rates are often higher than the regular rates (the Ritz Maui is an exception, perhaps they have trouble attracting conventions due to the location). I saw a WSJ article explaining how some hotels were penalizing organizers when attendees booked lower rates through priceline or even the hotel booking engines. It is a major issue because most attendees are not stupid and have no incentive to book the higher rate.

As for fantasyland, well, I don't do Disneyland. But I would agree that hotels generally have a wide variety of rates. The ones that offer me their best rate (often priceline) will continue to get my business. I have stayed at many Ritz properties on business (sometimes even at the government rate), but I am not going to pay $365/nt (fall 2005 Maui ROH rate) when I know the person next door paid $165. Too many others want my business, and the Kapalua property is not particularly special. Yes, airlines have different fare buckets, but the inventories are open to everyone. Just as anyone can buy a carton of 18 eggs or join Costco.

You're right, though, I shouldn't be pissed at Ritz - it's just business and we all know RC does not have a formal loyalty program to reward me for all my past business.

socrates May 11, 2006 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
You're living in fantasyland... How many hotels do you really think don't engage in this type of pricing? Except for really high end places like Aman and really low end places, almost every hotel in the US prices individuals, groups, and corporate negotiated rates at dramatically different rates.

Also, take note of egg prices the next time you're in Safeway. If you buy the bigger package-- like the 18 pack-- you'll pay less per egg than if you buy the 6 pack or dozen.

Unlike the eggs example there are other factors which are taken into account when pricing is determined such as arrival/departure pattern, day of week pattern, catering revenue, room rental, restaurant revenue, spa revenue, other misc revenue etc....the one thing some folks have a hard time with is at a point the discount offered declines as the number of rooms purchased rises (you actually get to a point where the rate would need to be higher than the "rack rate" to make sense for the hotel to take the business) because a hotels inventory is fixed and can not change where as eggs can be held over until the next day

socrates May 11, 2006 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Actually convention rates are often higher than the regular rates (the Ritz Maui is an exception, perhaps they have trouble attracting conventions due to the location). I saw a WSJ article explaining how some hotels were penalizing organizers when attendees booked lower rates through priceline or even the hotel booking engines. It is a major issue because most attendees are not stupid and have no incentive to book the higher rate.

As for fantasyland, well, I don't do Disneyland. But I would agree that hotels generally have a wide variety of rates. The ones that offer me their best rate (often priceline) will continue to get my business. I have stayed at many Ritz properties on business (sometimes even at the government rate), but I am not going to pay $365/nt (fall 2005 Maui ROH rate) when I know the person next door paid $165. Too many others want my business, and the Kapalua property is not particularly special. Yes, airlines have different fare buckets, but the inventories are open to everyone. Just as anyone can buy a carton of 18 eggs or join Costco.

You're right, though, I shouldn't be pissed at Ritz - it's just business and we all know RC does not have a formal loyalty program to reward me for all my past business.

NET Convention rates are NOT higher...what most conventions organizers fail to tell their attendees is that other items are included in the room rate other than the cost of the room making the total rate higher so this is where the issue comes from attendees purchasing via priceline etc...the solution is to raise the registration costs but this is something the convention organizers will need to solve

holocker Aug 19, 2008 11:50 pm

Ritz Kapalua MAui on Points

I have a stay booked at the Marriott Wailea for 2 nights the end of the month on a points stay. Found out I can get a savers reward at he Ritz for 80,000 points for 2 nights vs 65,000 points at the Marriott. Would it be worthwhile to switch. Does anyone know what type of room you get using points at the Ritz.

travelexpert Aug 20, 2008 2:19 am

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 10229810)
I have a stay booked at the Marriott Wailea for 2 nights the end of the month on a points stay. Found out I can get a savers reward at he Ritz for 80,000 points for 2 nights vs 65,000 points at the Marriott. Would it be worthwhile to switch. Does anyone know what type of room you get using points at the Ritz.

From the standpoint of location, I think the Marriott in Wailea wins hands down. The Marriott arguably has one of the most stunning spots along the 2-mile Wailea walking track. The Ritz is on the more touristy side of the island--but that can be an advantage since it's an easy ride to a significant array of shopping and restaurants. However, the physical facility of the Ritz is far nicer--Marriott rooms have been refurbished but the overall buildings seem dated. My suggestion--do both!

hhoope01 Aug 20, 2008 5:41 am

You will get one of their base level, non-view rooms most likely. IOW, if you go to the RC website and search for rooms (paid, non-award), whatever the cheapest set of rooms that comes up will probably be the same type of rooms you will get for an award.

sophiegirl Aug 20, 2008 6:34 am

What is your status level with Marriott - that MAY make a difference as to room location you receive at the Ritz? The time of year you are going can also make a difference. The Ritz is gorgeous with spectacular service. The Marriott is quite nice, but is - well, a quite nice Marriott.

I agree with travelexpert that the Ritz is an easier drive to things than the Wailea Marriott- but it IS still a drive, so that you have some privacy and quiet at the Ritz.

I have stayed at both. Taking into consideration the point savers, I would pick the Ritz hands down - regardless of the room type.

When we were there - we came from a property of the Big Island, where I had been served a fruit juice with breakfast. I could not remember the name. Our breakfast waiter brought me 11 small glasses of juice on a huge silver tray to taste. Once I discovered the correct one; (POG) he brought me a large glass...but charged me for nothing. I will never forget it!

FlyingforFree Aug 20, 2008 2:02 pm

Where are you finding the Ritz Carlton Maui PointSavers? I can't find them at marriottrewards.com. I also called MR and Ritz and they don't know anything about them either.

The Weekly Flyer Aug 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Me and Mrs Flyfarfar were at the Ritz Maui in April for 5 nights on points (think 200k points). We were upgraded to a mountain view suite, but actually had quite a nice sea view.

The Ritz pool is fantastic, three levels of pools. The beach was nice, but the water was to rough that time of year, not sure about the wave now though.

Near the Ritz there is a small store that has good breakfast that is inexpensive. It is a 1 minute walk out the front lobby of the ritz, turn left at main road, is within 300 yards of lobby, can't miss. The Banyan Tree was nice, but wine selection was young, because of newness of restaurant. Sushi bar was good for quick bite to eat.

You can walk to Kapalua beach, but it is about 1 mile each way. I would take a car and park in one of the few spots. That beach is a nice beach to snorkle at.

PM me for more details on specific questions if you like.

Fly

hhoope01 Aug 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingforFree (Post 10233384)
Where are you finding the Ritz Carlton Maui PointSavers? I can't find them at marriottrewards.com. I also called MR and Ritz and they don't know anything about them either.

The Ritz-Carlton PointSaversŪ

jmposner Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Ritz Carlton hands down - stayed there on honeymoon using points. We had a garden view room with a patio. All the rooms are the same - just forefeiting the view. The hotel more than makes up with it with service and stunning views.

DesertFlier Aug 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Kapalua is the rainy side of the island, so keep that in mind. I have known of many rained out vacations on that side...

I greatly prefer Wailea - location is better, beach is better, and you are pretty much assured great weather.

thurd Aug 21, 2008 8:46 pm

I also prefer the Wailea side of the island. It's considered the sunny side of the island. We stayed at the Marriott Wailea last month and were very pleased with it. We upgraded to an ocean view room and it had an amazing view. Honestly, you can't go wrong, though. Maui is heaven on earth!

hrdjeepzj Jun 19, 2009 2:46 am

Ritz-Carlton summer pointsavers no Maui?

Hello,

I was hoping for at least the option of getting a RC pointsavers reservation for Kapalua, Maui in late Sep, but the summer pointsavers that just came out are for pretty much every property BUT Maui. Does anyone know if this list is final or if they could possibly add to it at a later time? I've never really noticed if the pointsaver list is dynamic or not.

Thanks

missak Sep 6, 2009 8:28 pm

Find out any info?

There are also no pointsaver points for the fall season. Did you find out any info about why these rewards don't apply for the Maui Ritz?

Best,
Missak