Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pugsley21
Arnel - thanks so much for the excellent details!! This is what I needed. I do plan on renting a car but I think it maybe a great option to not rent if we stay at RC because of the shuttle you mentioned. Do you know if the RC has complimentary laundry facilities on property? I've stayed at Grand Hyatt in Kauai and they had a great little spot for laundry and it was free. I know it sounds crazy but traveling with 2 littles, they fly through laundry, especially near a sandy beach.
I didn't try it for myself, but on TripAdvisor some people are saying there are laundry rooms you can get access to with your room key. We went with just 2 adults so we didn't need to use them, so no personal experience. Also, if you're willing to pay extra it looks like the RC does have suites with kitchen facilities.

Since I was on the topic of car rentals and the resort shuttle: if you're thinking you only need a car for one or two days (to visit Lahaina, etc), there is an Enterprise desk right in the resort. No idea what premium they charge, but from what I recall parking at the RC is valet-only (and pricey to boot).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:10 pm

Anyone stayed in the past couple weeks and have experience with the Plantation course renovation?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:08 am

Ritz Carlton in Maui Hawaii

Does anyone know how to get deals for the Ritz in Maui? I need to book 6 rooms for 2 nights there mid of August. It’s currently at $669/night + tax/fees.

Any credit card app-o-rama I can do to rack up points if I already have the Amex SPG/Marriott Bonvoy? Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:38 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by macboss
Does anyone know how to get deals for the Ritz in Maui? I need to book 6 rooms for 2 nights there mid of August. It’s currently at $669/night + tax/fees.
Is that or Terrace or Garden View?
Besides booking the Member Rate and watching for a possible rate drop you could look into the STARS rate. There is a thread about it in the Luxury Travel Forum here
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by arnel
Since I was on the topic of car rentals and the resort shuttle: if you're thinking you only need a car for one or two days (to visit Lahaina, etc), there is an Enterprise desk right in the resort. No idea what premium they charge, but from what I recall parking at the RC is valet-only (and pricey to boot).
Unless things have changed, there is self-parking lot. The parking lot is not too far- between the main entrance and the little church/shopping area. We have used it over multiple stays and never had a problem finding a space. You do have to pay for self-parking (can't remember how much) but should be cheaper than valet.

Also, the shuttle does go around the Kapalua area but I think you'd want a car to get from the airport to hotel at a minimum. (assuming you are flying into Kahului/OGG and not Kapalua). I didn't find Fleming beach (the one at the Ritz) to be all that great, esp. for kids. But if you go Napili Bay or Kapalua bay, you should have better luck. Both are very close by. We've always had great luck finding turtles at Napili, which the kids would love to see. Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but they do have a small playground at the Ritz as well. It won't keep kiddos entertained for hours, but it's something.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:57 pm

Parking lot was deemed valet only when we went in Feb 2018 except people on convention rate
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:36 am

I am Titanium Elite for Life with Marriott. I am trying to decide on going to the The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua or the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. Will I receive any special treatment at the Ritz or will I be treated like any other guest? I get the sense that the only way to receive any upgrades or special treatment at the Ritz is to purchase up to club level. We are only on the island for 2-3 days and will hang out at the hotel for just a day. We will be skydiving in Hana one day. Everyone says the Ritz is beautiful, but I can't see in photos that it is all that great, but am I missing something?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:16 am

The Ritz is on the complete opposite side of the island from Hana. Wailea is closer to all the attractions
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ehadley007
I am Titanium Elite for Life with Marriott. I am trying to decide on going to the The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua or the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. Will I receive any special treatment at the Ritz or will I be treated like any other guest?
Don’t expect any special treatment at the Ritz with your Marriott Bonvoy status. The most that you can expect to receive as a thank you at the front desk upon check-in but do not expect any sort of upgraded room or amenities.
RedSun likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:43 am

Agree with crimson and DFW. I have stayed at both locations. The Ritz is nice but isolated and Wailea is definitely closer to Hana. We have gotten upgrades at the Ritz all 3 times we stayed there, but we also stayed in shoulder season so I wouldn't count on any upgrade in high season, if that's when you are going. We did get un upgrade in high season at the Wailea Marriott but we used SNAs to get it. (We didn't do that at the Ritz- we stayed there before SNAs were a thing.) Also worth noting at the Ritz that we got a better upgrade each time we came back (which was also before we were LT Titanium) so my guess is they reward repeat vacationers over Marriott status.

Other items of note:
- The Ritz is more couples and the Wailea Marriott is more families if that affects your decision.
- The Wailea Marriott is much larger and requires more walking on the property.
- The Marriott will give you a Starbucks coffee, pastry, and fruit cup each morning for your status. Nothing at the Ritz.
- Do you want to go out a lot or stay at the hotel for meals, etc. Marriott has more choices closeby (5 minute walk). The Ritz requires a short drive or shuttle trip to everything not on the property.
- Same for shopping. Shops at Wailea are a 5 minute walk across a parking lot, Lahaina is a 20 minute drive from the Ritz. Whaler's village is also 15 minutes from Ritz.
- The on-site beach is better at Wailea.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:10 am

The Ritz in Hawaii

Hi guys
I'm looking to stay 5 nights in the ritz Hawaii
but I dont want to pay the cask prices I wanna do a fully points redemption stay
current cheapest rate is Ł360 per night (I'm based in london)
I only have 46k marriott points
I want to buy now some top up in the sale with the 50% bonus which will give me 150k plus what I'll buy from my friend
will need a total of 220k to redeem for 4 nights (as the 5th night is free)
My question is.
Is it worth buying to redeem on this deal?
how do I work it out?
(also Ben Lucky from OMAAT wrote yesterday in his blog saying that he divides it into 3 mot sure why....
anyone care to explain?)
Also will this count towards elite status ? (I'm currently silver)
Also I'm not the best when it comes to hotel points 🤪
TIA
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Palty
I'm looking to stay 5 nights in the ritz Hawaii
Which "ritz Hawaii"? There's The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua and The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Waikiki Beach. Both moving from Category 7 to Category 8, effective March 4, 2020.

will need a total of 220k to redeem for 4 nights (as the 5th night is free)
That would be true if 2 nights are Off-Peak and 2 nights are Standard — and if there's redemption availability — and if you reserve and apply points before March 4.

Also will this count towards elite status ? (I'm currently silver)
Yes, redemption nights count as Elite qualifying nights.

As far as buying points versus paying the best rate you can find is concerned, you would have to do the math. Keep in mind that you earn points if you pay with money instead of paying with points.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Horace
Which "ritz Hawaii"? There's The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua and The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Waikiki Beach. Both moving from Category 7 to Category 8, effective March 4, 2020.

thanks for the reply
Yes I was looking at the Ritz carlton

That would be true if 2 nights are Off-Peak and 2 nights are Standard — and if there's redemption availability — and if you reserve and apply points before March 4.

I've checked and theres 2 nights in off peak and 2 in standard

Yes, redemption nights count as Elite qualifying nights.

As far as buying points versus paying the best rate you can find is concerned, you would have to do the math. Keep in mind that you earn points if you pay with money instead of paying with points.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Does Marriott allow you to buy points from a friend?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:00 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Does Marriott allow you to buy points from a friend?
Hi Eujenie,

Marriott Bonvoy Terms and Conditions: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Section 1.6.c.iv. "Members are prohibited from bartering or selling Points for cash or other consideration pursuant to Section 1.7.h."

"1.7.h. No Sale or Transfer. Points, Redemption Awards, promotional Awards and other Member benefits may not be sold, bartered or transferred (other than by the Company or its agents). Any attempted transfer, sale or barter will be void and will be confiscated. The Company and its partners may refuse to honor or recognize any Points, Redemption Awards, promotional Awards or Member benefits which the Company believes may have been transferred, sold or bartered."

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.