Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by gora14
I've stayed seven or eight times at the Plaza over the last two years. I have always gotten a suite upgrade except once they upgraded me to a large corner room. I have always had a fruit plate waiting for me and a small bottle of wine in my room. As noted by others, the regular rooms are small. The suites are twice the size, separated by a wall. The corner rooms are quite large. I did not find the suites too small, even when sharing with my wife. Again, I've been upgraded every time I've stayed. My daughters shared a small room once and I would say that would have been uncomfortably small for two, but the view is fantastic from that side of the building. I cannot make comparisons with other hotels. I've stayed at the Plaza every time in Seoul based on location and especially cost, which has always been much cheaper than the other hotels. The concierge lounge can be busy on weekends, but the ladies there are especially helpful and friendly.

Everyone has their preferences. Last time I was visiting with a friend and we stayed in the Lotte in Daejeon. While I thought the Lotte had a much superior breakfast spread than the Plaza, he insisted the Plaza was better as the food quality was much better. If you're just going by upgrade potential, I'm batting 1.000.
Awesome, thank you so much. Plaza it is. Hope the upgrade goes through.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by falcon9xr
I was at both the JW Marriott Dongdaemun and at the Plaza this past February. I much prefer the Plaza.

The JW Marriott Dongdaemun has a nice location on paper, but in actuality is pretty far from the "touristy" stuff in Seoul. There are three (well maybe four...) main tourist attractions located in the vicinity of the JWMD, all of which I feel are overhyped. Dongdaemun gate is literally just the building, you cannot walk through it, taking pictures with it is awkward because of the way it is situated in traffic. Dongdaemun Design Plaza felt too commercialized, and did not feel like an authentic place for artists to get inspired and showcase their work. And Cheonggyecheon stream was just a stream (I was expecting a park-ish thing like the lake near Lotte Tower). The possible fourth tourist attraction is the late night clothes shopping, which I was not interested in. The other downside is that if you are trying to get downtown, it is a bit tougher to get a cab (they aren't waiting out front generally), though there it is close to subway lines 1 and 4.

Granted, my thoughts on the tourist attractions are all subjective, and those who lean towards the more artistic or creative side may find the area really enjoyable.

As far as the property itself, the JWMD is a really nice property, with an excellent lounge. If you are able to get a suite upgrade, you'll find the rooms are spacious, and you'll have a nice view of the Dongdaemun gate. The fitness facilities are great, but you will be charged for sauna use (per use, not per day or per stay).

The Plaza is located across from City Hall, and you will find that it is diagonally adjacent to Deoksugung, and a walkable-ish distance away from Gyeongbokgung. In front of Gyeongbokgung, you'll find a bunch of museums, like the Admiral Yi museum, the King Sejong museum, National Museum of Korean Contemporary History, and I think the Presseum is there too. There are a bunch more also.

There are almost always cabs in front of the hotel, if you're looking to go somewhere else, and it is directly connected via an underground tunnel to subway lines 1 and 2.

The downsides are that, as mentioned, the rooms are smaller, though I felt that the suite I was upgraded to as a Titanium (then Platinum Premier) was more than sufficient for my wife and me. The lounge also isn't as good as the JWMD. The fitness center is really nice, but it definitely isn't as "posh" as the JWMD and it is located in a separate building (which you can access via the underground tunnel, so you don't have to go "outside"). If it matters to you, the sauna at the fitness center is included (though I'm not sure if that is because of status or not).

I definitely intend on staying at the Plaza again sometime in the future, but probably not the JWMD. My stays in Korea tend to be point stays though, so I'm trying to get the best point redemption, and the JWMD isn't what I would consider a great redemption value. YMMV if you are looking at paid stays.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! A follow up question for you, since you've spent time in Seoul recently. We have 10 days total and I was originally planning on staying 4 nights in Seoul, 4 nights in Shanghai. With points, I can do 4 nights and a 5th night free. Is it worth it to cut short one of my stays in either city so I can take advantage of the 5th night in the other city? For example, 3 nights in Seoul and 5 nights in Shanghai? Just wanted your opinion! Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dangerhsun
Thank you so much! A follow up question for you, since you've spent time in Seoul recently. We have 10 days total and I was originally planning on staying 4 nights in Seoul, 4 nights in Shanghai. With points, I can do 4 fnights and a 5th night free. Is it worth it to cut short one of my stays in either city so I can take advantage of the 5th night in the other city? For example, 3 nights in Seoul and 5 nights in Shanghai? Just wanted your opinion! Thanks.
I think 3 days in Seoul would be enough. There's way more to see and do in Shanghai than Seoul.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Aventine
I think 3 days in Seoul would be enough. There's way more to see and do in Shanghai than Seoul.
I agree. Seoul is an awesome shopping destination, but poor sightseeing one. Clubbing is great, but you have to be Korean and rich to really enjoy it LOL.

Shanghai is much more enjoyable place to see.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:30 am

Awesome, thank you so much. Plaza it is. Hope the upgrade goes through.
I cannot stress enough how important it is for everyone to understand the risk of not getting a meaningful upgrade at the Plaza (which happens occasionally for me as plat) - the standard rooms are indeed very small - not as small as the one at the Sheraton Gangnam, but small enough to surprise you. As previous posters have noted, the location is great, facilities are decent, service is excellent, but think twice before booking this hotel if size of the rooms are important for you and you are unwilling to book a bigger room.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jaejaez
I cannot stress enough how important it is for everyone to understand the risk of not getting a meaningful upgrade at the Plaza (which happens occasionally for me as plat) - the standard rooms are indeed very small - not as small as the one at the Sheraton Gangnam, but small enough to surprise you. As previous posters have noted, the location is great, facilities are decent, service is excellent, but think twice before booking this hotel if size of the rooms are important for you and you are unwilling to book a bigger room.
I booked 5 nights on points for June. I don't care if the room is small. I will msg them though and ask about an upgrade before I arrive. Unfortunately I don't think I will make 75 nights by this stay to have the Titanium status to help me out. I usually stay down the street at the Courtyard, but I want to try out the Plaza's lounge and see what the feel of the hotel is.

The biggest reason I chose this was in the reviews the hotel got a lot of props, and I booked in at 25k a night before it bumped to 35k a night. I would rather be across the street at the Westin if I was burning 35k a night (or at the JW down in Gangnam - which I did book 5 nights for in June too lol)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent advice.
Definitely book what you can live with and don't go at Korean holiday times. Korean Staycationers will often split the cost of a larger room or suite between 4-6 people. Hence, taking it out of the upgrade pool.
falcon9xr likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 6, 2019 at 4:39 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Thank you so much! A follow up question for you, since you've spent time in Seoul recently. We have 10 days total and I was originally planning on staying 4 nights in Seoul, 4 nights in Shanghai. With points, I can do 4 nights and a 5th night free. Is it worth it to cut short one of my stays in either city so I can take advantage of the 5th night in the other city? For example, 3 nights in Seoul and 5 nights in Shanghai? Just wanted your opinion! Thanks.
I haven't really had a substantive stay in Shanghai, so I'll defer to others on that. I will add that I would recommend utilizing the 5th night free if you're staying on points, just to get a better value. I would throw in that I've never been at a loss for things to do in Seoul, and I've spent over all of my travels maybe a total of 2 months there. Would recommend a fishing cafe if you'd looking for something unique! You can fish for actual fish in an aquarium, once you catch a fish, you weigh it for points, and with your points you can earn prizes! (Don't get too excited though, the prizes are like dish soap and toilet paper and such)

I will also add that I haven't had the experience of staying in a regular room at the Plaza, so my experiences are only with an upgraded room. It could very well be that the regular room is really small.

Originally Posted by Handcake
I booked 5 nights on points for June. I don't care if the room is small. I will msg them though and ask about an upgrade before I arrive. Unfortunately I don't think I will make 75 nights by this stay to have the Titanium status to help me out. I usually stay down the street at the Courtyard, but I want to try out the Plaza's lounge and see what the feel of the hotel is.

The biggest reason I chose this was in the reviews the hotel got a lot of props, and I booked in at 25k a night before it bumped to 35k a night. I would rather be across the street at the Westin if I was burning 35k a night (or at the JW down in Gangnam - which I did book 5 nights for in June too lol)
Did not know that the Plaza bumped up to 35k for points. At that category I would probably do the Westin or JWM Seoul, since they're both at 35k also. I have not personally stayed at the Westin or JWM Seoul, but everyone seems to speak very highly of them.

Excellent advice.
Definitely book what you can live with and don't go at Korean holiday times. Korean Staycationers will often split the cost of a larger room or suite between 4-6 people. Hence, taking it out of the upgrade pool.
Yes, I experienced the Korean Staycationer Effect on my past trip. My wife and I have agreed to never visit Korea during a Korean holiday in the future, lol.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:22 am

Oh crap. It was 25k points a night just a few days ago. Must have updated it at the end of February. What a bummer!
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh crap. It was 25k points a night just a few days ago. Must have updated it at the end of February. What a bummer!
Definitely go with Westin for 35k in points. Has a much better location than JW Marriott Seoul.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:53 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Definitely go with Westin for 35k in points. Has a much better location than JW Marriott Seoul.
I'm going to suggest the person booking look at what they want to do in Seoul and check out each location.

I have stayed around 30 days total around the Namdaemun/Myeongdong/City Hall area, and while I love that area, I have decided I absolutely hate Myeongdong at night now (too many people), as well during the weekends that business area is really dead. (I have planned to spend 6 nights at the Gangnam Sheraton and 5 at the JWM in Gangnam this year to see how it compares)

Gangnam has a totally different vibe and is not as packed as the area around the Westin is. Some people really can't stand being constantly in the mix of a lot of people.

The Westin is more dated as a hotel than the JWM in Gangnam is too. I am looking forward to some big reviews on the Westin in here. I don't see myself staying there until at least June 2020 as my Seoul stays in Feb 2020 if I go there will be cash, which means cheaper hotels due to the fact in Feb the prices already kick in to be much higher than normal due to the Lunar New Year holiday.

Keep up the information on the hotels, as they are informative, and the Plaza reviews pushed me to book that hotel rather than the Westin. (The Westin is on my list of future bookings though!)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Handcake
I'm going to suggest the person booking look at what they want to do in Seoul and check out each location.

I have stayed around 30 days total around the Namdaemun/Myeongdong/City Hall area, and while I love that area, I have decided I absolutely hate Myeongdong at night now (too many people), as well during the weekends that business area is really dead. (I have planned to spend 6 nights at the Gangnam Sheraton and 5 at the JWM in Gangnam this year to see how it compares)

Gangnam has a totally different vibe and is not as packed as the area around the Westin is. Some people really can't stand being constantly in the mix of a lot of people.

The Westin is more dated as a hotel than the JWM in Gangnam is too. I am looking forward to some big reviews on the Westin in here. I don't see myself staying there until at least June 2020 as my Seoul stays in Feb 2020 if I go there will be cash, which means cheaper hotels due to the fact in Feb the prices already kick in to be much higher than normal due to the Lunar New Year holiday.

Keep up the information on the hotels, as they are informative, and the Plaza reviews pushed me to book that hotel rather than the Westin. (The Westin is on my list of future bookings though!)
Yes, but the JWM Seoul isn't really Gangnam. It's in Seocho, on top of a hill and on top of a department store and the Express bus terminal. The only moderately less busy hotel would be the Four Points Namsan and that's because it's all residential and office workers and they try to get out of there at night. The Westin's location for walking, subway or taxiing to the main palaces, Gwanghwamun, Hongdae is pretty central. Getting out and into the JWM Seoul can be just terrible during rush hour.

Seoul isn't a place I would recommend going to if you don't like people, people pushing you and crowds.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 6, 2019 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted. Double post.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:49 pm

Going to be in Seoul for 5 nights this summer. Dropping my 16 year old off for language classes in the Gangnam area. I thus was looking at properties near there to familiarize him with the neighborhood and it looks like a nice area. JW Seoul and Le Meredien. I am titanium for what it's worth.

Any hotel, not too far from Gangnam, you like better than these two?

Better lounge between JW and Meredien?

Any have outdoor pools?

Great info on this thread as always. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:25 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Looking at a four-night stay tomorrow, trying to decide where to stay. Most important is proximity to transit — I want to be able to get to places easily, including Itaewon and Gangnam. Don't care about touristy sight. Close to nightlife is ideal.

Last time I stayed at the Sheraton Gangnam Palace and was not very happy.

This time I am considering the Four Points by Seoul Station, or the Courtyard / Aloft nearby the Westin (which is too expensive). Which would y'all recommend?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.