Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Plaza - tiny rooms ( and that was with suite upgrade!).
Seoul Palace - no upgrade, tiny bathroom, poor water pressure, poor room layout.
I haven't been the the Westin, so I can't compare the room size there. I thought the Plaza room I got (it was a suite) was a decently sized room, split into two areas. It wasn't huge by any means, but doable for me. Although in retrospect, I guess the regular D Cube room I got was probably comparable in square footage with the Plaza suite...

For the Seoul Palace, were you not upgraded as a Plat? I totally agree that the regular rooms are small, and the room I had had the bed at a diagonal, which was awkward.
I was hoping that next time I go I would get upgraded as a Plat and not have to deal with that.
I do not recall water pressure issues, but this was like a year and a half ago now...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

We really need a St. Regis or true RC Seoul to enhance the Marriott luxury options in Seoul.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
We really need a St. Regis or true RC Seoul to enhance the Marriott luxury options in Seoul.
Wasn't the Le Meridien a Ritz Carlton in the past?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by falcon9xr
Wasn't the Le Meridien a Ritz Carlton in the past?
It was probably the worst RC in all of Asia.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Terrible RC indeed. It has always been surprising to me the lack of a true luxury hotel in Seoul for Marriott. The W was gorgeous but in the middle of nowhere before it left the system. The Westin has a great location but was getting too old the last time I stayed there... and that was 6 years ago. I even felt that way 14 years ago.

I gravitate for luxury but stayed at Aloft last time and was pleasantly surprised. Location can't be beat and the price so low that my wife and I both enjoyed despite massive apprehension at staying. Only thing I didn't like was the so called gym.

I would like to try the RYSE, Autograph Collection as I love the Hongdae area.

The Hyatt is also nice but location not ideal. Stayed there several times and had nice service.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Terrible RC indeed. It has always been surprising to me the lack of a true luxury hotel in Seoul for Marriott. The W was gorgeous but in the middle of nowhere before it left the system. The Westin has a great location but was getting too old the last time I stayed there... and that was 6 years ago. I even felt that way 14 years ago.

I gravitate for luxury but stayed at Aloft last time and was pleasantly surprised. Location can't be beat and the price so low that my wife and I both enjoyed despite massive apprehension at staying. Only thing I didn't like was the so called gym.

The Hyatt is also nice but location not ideal. Stayed there several times and had nice service.
The RYSE is actually a very nice hotel. A bit quirky and millennial focused but top notch build and F&B.

Marriott really needs something to compete at the ultra high end luxury with the Four Seasons.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 22, 2019 at 12:46 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP

I don't expect the Aloft to have a lounge, but do they have a sauna? What's the breakfast offering like?

Originally Posted by Aventine
The RYSE is actually a very nice hotel. A bit quirky and millennial focused but top notch build and F&B.

Marriott really needs something to compete at the ultra high end luxury with the Four Seasons.
Does the RYSE have a lounge? And how is the gym?

The RYSE intrigues me the most based on what I've read online and the location. I've walked by the RYSE a couple of times when I was hanging out in Hongdae, and it is pretty well situated.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by falcon9xr
I don't expect the Aloft to have a lounge, but do they have a sauna? What's the breakfast offering like?

Does the RYSE have a lounge? And how is the gym?

The RYSE intrigues me the most based on what I've read online and the location. I've walked by the RYSE a couple of times when I was hanging out in Hongdae, and it is pretty well situated.
No lounge and a small gym. For a complete gym, recommend the Westin or the renovated JW Marriott Seoul.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 23, 2019 at 7:23 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:16 am

Anyone have experience at the Four Points by Sheraton Seoul, Gangnam? I see a thread for the Namsan Four Points, but was unable to find one for the Gangnam one.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Looking for a hotel for 3 nights. I had eyed the JW .. square as well as the Westin. Just realized both have lounges only for guest 18+ and im travelling with my 3yo.

What other options are there. Location is important, and I dont want to go beyond cat-5.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:36 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by coljung
Looking for a hotel for 3 nights. I had eyed the JW .. square as well as the Westin. Just realized both have lounges only for guest 18+ and im travelling with my 3yo.

What other options are there. Location is important, and I dont want to go beyond cat-5.

Thanks in advance
You can bring your 3 year old into the lounge for breakfast. However, I haven't seen any hotels in Seoul that allow under 12/13 to be in during the evening time when it is happy hour. EDIT: Forgot the new Asia lounge policy. Kids your age get into lounge and eat free, so you can bring your wife, you and the kid for breakfast.

Not to sound like a snob, but I don't want to see kids when I am drinking in the lounge, so I am one of those people who actually loves this rule. (I noticed a lot of Korean places that are focused on drinking are starting to enforce the no kids rule, not just in lounges.)

For location, I suggest the Westin because you can just walk outside the hotel and within 10 minutes you will find plenty of food to eat and you won't have to worry about your child not getting entrance.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: United 1K
Headed to Seoul for 5 days in April. Also trying to choose a hotel. I am consider the PLAZA Hotel in Myeongdong. The alternative would be the JW Marriott in Dongdaemun, or use Chase points to book one of the Lotte Hotels.

Is the JW Marriott much better than Plaza? I am Platinum Elite, so which one would be more likely to upgrade me?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by dangerhsun
Headed to Seoul for 5 days in April. Also trying to choose a hotel. I am consider the PLAZA Hotel in Myeongdong. The alternative would be the JW Marriott in Dongdaemun, or use Chase points to book one of the Lotte Hotels.

Is the JW Marriott much better than Plaza? I am Platinum Elite, so which one would be more likely to upgrade me?
I've stayed at both the JWM and the Plaza comparatively recently and the first thing you should know is that neither hotel is capable of heating their lobby!

The Plaza is in a good location but the rooms are painfully small - even if you do get a suite - and I wouldn't want to stay there for more than one or two nights.

The JWM is a nicer property but you need to make sure you get a high floor as otherwise you feel you're in a bit of a goldfish bowl on the street below. JWM also has much nicer lounge with a walk-out terrace. The kicker is the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. After one night in a goldfish-bowl room, I had to push hard for an upgrade and was eventually given a sky suite - larger room with part of the windows extending across the ceiling.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:34 pm

I've stayed seven or eight times at the Plaza over the last two years. I have always gotten a suite upgrade except once they upgraded me to a large corner room. I have always had a fruit plate waiting for me and a small bottle of wine in my room. As noted by others, the regular rooms are small. The suites are twice the size, separated by a wall. The corner rooms are quite large. I did not find the suites too small, even when sharing with my wife. Again, I've been upgraded every time I've stayed. My daughters shared a small room once and I would say that would have been uncomfortably small for two, but the view is fantastic from that side of the building. I cannot make comparisons with other hotels. I've stayed at the Plaza every time in Seoul based on location and especially cost, which has always been much cheaper than the other hotels. The concierge lounge can be busy on weekends, but the ladies there are especially helpful and friendly.

Everyone has their preferences. Last time I was visiting with a friend and we stayed in the Lotte in Daejeon. While I thought the Lotte had a much superior breakfast spread than the Plaza, he insisted the Plaza was better as the food quality was much better. If you're just going by upgrade potential, I'm batting 1.000.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:09 am

I was at both the JW Marriott Dongdaemun and at the Plaza this past February. I much prefer the Plaza.

The JW Marriott Dongdaemun has a nice location on paper, but in actuality is pretty far from the "touristy" stuff in Seoul. There are three (well maybe four...) main tourist attractions located in the vicinity of the JWMD, all of which I feel are overhyped. Dongdaemun gate is literally just the building, you cannot walk through it, taking pictures with it is awkward because of the way it is situated in traffic. Dongdaemun Design Plaza felt too commercialized, and did not feel like an authentic place for artists to get inspired and showcase their work. And Cheonggyecheon stream was just a stream (I was expecting a park-ish thing like the lake near Lotte Tower). The possible fourth tourist attraction is the late night clothes shopping, which I was not interested in. The other downside is that if you are trying to get downtown, it is a bit tougher to get a cab (they aren't waiting out front generally), though there it is close to subway lines 1 and 4.

Granted, my thoughts on the tourist attractions are all subjective, and those who lean towards the more artistic or creative side may find the area really enjoyable.

As far as the property itself, the JWMD is a really nice property, with an excellent lounge. If you are able to get a suite upgrade, you'll find the rooms are spacious, and you'll have a nice view of the Dongdaemun gate. The fitness facilities are great, but you will be charged for sauna use (per use, not per day or per stay).

The Plaza is located across from City Hall, and you will find that it is diagonally adjacent to Deoksugung, and a walkable-ish distance away from Gyeongbokgung. In front of Gyeongbokgung, you'll find a bunch of museums, like the Admiral Yi museum, the King Sejong museum, National Museum of Korean Contemporary History, and I think the Presseum is there too. There are a bunch more also.

There are almost always cabs in front of the hotel, if you're looking to go somewhere else, and it is directly connected via an underground tunnel to subway lines 1 and 2.

The downsides are that, as mentioned, the rooms are smaller, though I felt that the suite I was upgraded to as a Titanium (then Platinum Premier) was more than sufficient for my wife and me. The lounge also isn't as good as the JWMD. The fitness center is really nice, but it definitely isn't as "posh" as the JWMD and it is located in a separate building (which you can access via the underground tunnel, so you don't have to go "outside"). If it matters to you, the sauna at the fitness center is included (though I'm not sure if that is because of status or not).

I definitely intend on staying at the Plaza again sometime in the future, but probably not the JWMD. My stays in Korea tend to be point stays though, so I'm trying to get the best point redemption, and the JWMD isn't what I would consider a great redemption value. YMMV if you are looking at paid stays.

Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.