Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks, falcon9xr, for the very detailed reviews. I also enjoyed the Plaza very much on my multiple stays. I haven't stayed at any other hotels because of the additional cost, so it is impossible for me to compare. I have thought about the Sheraton Incheon, so would gladly look forward to reading your reviews.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
IMO, the evening hors d'oeuvre offering at the Plaza Seoul is the worst of the three Seoul hotels I've stayed at so far.

The best was the Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam (from what I can remember). They served what could be best described as a light-medium dinner. A couple of hot food offerings (like bulgogi), with plenty of beer and wine (I do not remember any liquor, but there could have easily been some).

The JW Marriott Dongdaemun had the best alcohol selection. As an example, they had Glenlivet 12 available for self-service. The food offerings did not have the variety of the Sheraton Seoul Palace, but they were good.

The Plaza Seoul had no hot food available, only breads, cheeses, crackers, and fruit. The beer selection included Hite, Cass, and Budweiser (all of which I despise). As far as liquor goes, the best liquor they had was Ballantine 12 year (blended scotch whiskey). They did offer macaroons that were really delicious. I say this as a person who does not like macaroons.

My next hotel is the Westin Chosun Busan, so I won't share that here, but will put my thoughts on that in the appropriate hotel thread. The next Seoul hotel is the Sheraton D Cube, and I'll post my thoughts on that here once I visit. And I'll also share my thoughts on the Sheraton Incheon in the appropriate hotel thread once I get there, as per gora14's request.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I think we should also all consider the newly renovated JW Marriott Seoul too.

JW Marriott Dongdaemun changed their policy because I think the pool could get overrun during major Korean vacation periods. It's a beautiful pool but much too small for all staying guests (+ hotel membership guests) to use it. I think they should let Plats use it for free though.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:01 pm

At the Plaza, there are three hot-food dishes against the back wall every night. I've had colleagues miss them and I'm thinking falcon also missed them. These can range from outstanding to meh. They do not have single malts, but in addition to the Ballantines, they have Johnny Walker Black label and I thought one other that I don't remember. While not outstanding, it is not a desert.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by gora14
At the Plaza, there are three hot-food dishes against the back wall every night. I've had colleagues miss them and I'm thinking falcon also missed them. These can range from outstanding to meh. They do not have single malts, but in addition to the Ballantines, they have Johnny Walker Black label and I thought one other that I don't remember. While not outstanding, it is not a desert.
Dang, I must have missed the hot dishes. It is entirely possible, as I didn't look along the back wall for food. That's unfortunate, as last night was the only night I had to try the evening lounge offerings. Sorry about that -_-.
They did have Johnny Black, Jack Daniels, Absolut, Jameson, Kahlua, Bombay Sapphire, and a selection of others.

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think we should also all consider the newly renovated JW Marriott Seoul too.

JW Marriott Dongdaemun changed their policy because I think the pool could get overrun during major Korean vacation periods. It's a beautiful pool but much too small for all staying guests (+ hotel membership guests) to use it. I think they should let Plats use it for free though.
Yes, I wish I had time to try the JW Marriott Seoul. My understanding is that after the renovation it is a very nice option.
Agree 100% that the pool at the JWMD is too small for all paying guests. I do want to clarify that I was able to use the pool for free, not sure if that was because I'm a plat or not. The sauna, however, was not free at the JWM Dongdaemun. I do think the sauna is free at the JWM Seoul, but I am not 100% sure.
gora14 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:08 pm

No apologies necessary. I'm just sorry you missed it. Yes, forgot the Jameson! Between the Jameson and Black Label, I'm usually good. I admit the offerings are not as extensive as others I've been to in Asia. I have not tried other Marriotts in Seoul primarily because of the price point. Every time I've booked, the Plaza is much cheaper. I love the location and I love that I have been upgraded to a suite on every one of my stays. The rooms are small, but I am comfortable. I also have a bottle of wine and a selection of fruit in my room to enjoy. I do enjoy this thread and hearing others' experiences though.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:32 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I routinely stay at the Courtyard Namdaemun. The first time the service was horrible. I complained to corporate, had a call with the GM, and since then I have stayed over 20 nights at the hotel. Each time has been a very welcoming stay.

The lounge is medium size and offers a pretty good selection for a Courtyard hotel. I'd say it is above average considering the branding of the hotel. Breakfast is the usual stuff you find at most Marriotts, so I really can't complain.

The reason I pick this hotel so often is is is half the price of the Westin which is around the corner, but shares the same location benefits. The location is absolutely amazing for getting around Seoul.

I have a week at this hotel and after I decided to try to Aloft Myeongdong for a week, just to see what the differences are for a similarly priced hotel in exactly the same neighborhood. I'll post a review on that once I've done a few days there.

Thanks for the Plaza reviews. That is somewhat close to the area of Seoul I want to stay and I have been thinking about it, but I wasn't sure what it would be like.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by falcon9xr
Dang, I must have missed the hot dishes. It is entirely possible, as I didn't look along the back wall for food. That's unfortunate, as last night was the only night I had to try the evening lounge offerings. Sorry about that -_-.
They did have Johnny Black, Jack Daniels, Absolut, Jameson, Kahlua, Bombay Sapphire, and a selection of others.

Yes, I wish I had time to try the JW Marriott Seoul. My understanding is that after the renovation it is a very nice option.
Agree 100% that the pool at the JWMD is too small for all paying guests. I do want to clarify that I was able to use the pool for free, not sure if that was because I'm a plat or not. The sauna, however, was not free at the JWM Dongdaemun. I do think the sauna is free at the JWM Seoul, but I am not 100% sure.
I would think they would charge considering it is giant, brand newly built/renovated and in Gangnam.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I would think they would charge considering it is giant, brand newly built/renovated and in Gangnam.
Yes could very well be the case. I see that the spa is still under renovation (at least according to the Marriott app), so it seems entirely possible that once the renovations are completed they will charge for access like the JWM Dongdaemun does now.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JW Marriott Seoul only seems to charge for the poolside cabana usage. Spa and sauna are open and free for Plats.
falcon9xr likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 4, 2019 at 4:02 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UMP Silver and Marriott Platinum
Anyone have experience at the "Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel"? Is this hotel really off the beaten path? How long would a train ride be to the "touristy" area?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by SychoSly
Anyone have experience at the "Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel"? Is this hotel really off the beaten path? How long would a train ride be to the "touristy" area?
location-wise, it's out of where the touristy areas are.

But it sits on top of two of the busiest subway lines (line#1 and line#2) - so you are 30ish minutes away from touristy areas.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not so far from Sinchon and Hongdae but you'd be better off staying at RYSE for those areas. It is on Lines 1 and 2 but just very far from City Hall and Gangnam. I wouldn't recommend staying there if you want to do touristy things.

Plaza and Westin would have the best location for Palaces, Myeongdong, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

I'll be checking in there on Thursday and plan on giving a full report once I've had a chance to check it out.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by falcon9xr
I'll be checking in there on Thursday and plan on giving a full report once I've had a chance to check it out.
Might have residual Lunar New Year staycationers. Hope it isn't too hectic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.