Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
I'll be arriving into Seoul and staying at the Renaissance on 7-9 April.
Because our flight arrives at 6AM, when I received a request from their Virtual Concierge today I requested an early check-in and almost immediately got a reply from their FOM that they could not honor this request as they had full occupancy on the night of 6 April.
Curious, I went to Marriott.com and was able to book an additional
6-rooms for the night of the 06 April WITHOUT any problems.
Either the FOM doesn't know his inventory or is not telling me the truth or Marriott.com is wrong................
I'll "bet"" on the FOM!
In the alternative, if really "full", looks like I'll have 6 Ultimate Guarantee claims...........
just because a hotel is continuing to sell doesn't mean they aren't overselling the hotel...if it's important to have a room available early in the morning the only way to guarantee it is to book the room the night before or in this case on 4/5
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
after Marriott Guest Service intervention, FOM says he made occupancy "misstake" and did not know request was from elite member (really!?!?)......... rooms now available for early checkin (without further problems)

not requested, but appreciated, pre-upgraded to a suite by the FOM for the "inconvenience" caused......

Last edited by BKKLEE; Apr 2, 2012 at 7:20 pm
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Wow, nice resolution. I think the agent perhaps meant "mostly full" or "will hopefully be" full, but should have put more thought into the reply. I assume that there is no official policy to allow check-in this early at Marriott hotels (Renaissance), even under low occupancy? I think most hotels would let you check-in if a room was available when you arrived, but would not want to block out the room the night before.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:26 am
Suspended

not really as the actual words were "I am sorry to inform you that we can not guarantee early c/in due to full occupancy on April 6th."

After the intervention of Marriott Guest Services the reply was "I wrongly calculated our occupancy on April 6th and even worse I could not recognize you are our valuable Elite platinum member."

Early checkin is not guaranteed, but when I get Virtual Consierge requests from the property about a week before arrival one of the requests available is for early checkin which when I have an international flight arrival time of 0600 I request as my wife finds it difficult to sleep on the plane even though we're in
C-class.............

Originally Posted by BigE
Wow, nice resolution. I think the agent perhaps meant "mostly full" or "will hopefully be" full, but should have put more thought into the reply. I assume that there is no official policy to allow check-in this early at Marriott hotels (Renaissance), even under low occupancy? I think most hotels would let you check-in if a room was available when you arrived, but would not want to block out the room the night before.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
not really as the actual words were "I am sorry to inform you that we can not guarantee early c/in due to full occupancy on April 6th."

After the intervention of Marriott Guest Services the reply was "I wrongly calculated our occupancy on April 6th and even worse I could not recognize you are our valuable Elite platinum member."

Early checkin is not guaranteed, but when I get Virtual Consierge requests from the property about a week before arrival one of the requests available is for early checkin which when I have an international flight arrival time of 0600 I request as my wife finds it difficult to sleep on the plane even though we're in
C-class.............
The properties actions were unfortunate......but I'm glad things worked out
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Depending on the property, I try not to press them about early check-in as it is not really a "platinum" benefit. Usually on check-in if a room is available and I can check in early, that is great. Otherwise they will ask me to have breakfast at the lounge while a room is getting prepared and I am usually OK with that, although it is always nice to get a room early and catch some sleep or take a shower after an overnight flight.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
Insider(?) info on Renaissance Seoul

My colleague who is a friend with the owner of REN seoul has informed me that as of April 2012, REN has been put up as collateral to banks. Owner of REN seoul has another business (construction company), and due to weak economic and ridiculously awful construction industry condition, was given an option to either file for bankruptcy or extend credit with REN as collateral.

The owner chose to put up REN as a collateral, although i hear he is regretting that decision.

Should construction industry continue its downward spiral, we might potentially see REN being auctioned away, and then, although this is a pure speculation, whether REN seoul will remain Marriott property, or rebrand altogether.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Any recent experiences? I can get the Ritz for 200k incl. breakfast, but I am assuming no lounge access etc. since it's a Ritz Ren would be 190k and JW is around 250k. It's a 4 night stay
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:27 am
Suspended

I've stayed at both the Ren and the JW and would not go back to the JW (due to its bus stop location w/o anything nearby)........that being said I can't follow your numbers as the Ren is now a Cat 5 so 4-nights should be 100k, vrs 190k, and the JW is a Cat 6 so should be only 120k, vrs 25k.........(and I think the Ritz is around 160k) unless I'm missing something................and, you've been around long enough to know that 4-night point redemption are literally crazy since 5-nighters cost the same (in points) so why are you planning only a 4-night stay????

Originally Posted by cfischer
Any recent experiences? I can get the Ritz for 200k incl. breakfast, but I am assuming no lounge access etc. since it's a Ritz Ren would be 190k and JW is around 250k. It's a 4 night stay
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I've stayed at both the Ren and the JW and would not go back to the JW (due to its bus stop location w/o anything nearby)........that being said I can't follow your numbers as the Ren is now a Cat 5 so 4-nights should be 100k, vrs 190k, and the JW is a Cat 6 so should be only 120k, vrs 25k.........(and I think the Ritz is around 160k) unless I'm missing something................and, you've been around long enough to know that 4-night point redemption are literally crazy since 5-nighters cost the same (in points) so why are you planning only a 4-night stay????
sorry, I was referring to KRW! not points!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Seoul- JW or Ren

Never been there before... which would be better to a three night stay, looking for restaurants, stores and general Korean ambiance.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:52 pm

I did travel to Seoul few times per year for work and my favor Marriott Hotel is JW Seoul. Location is perfect with big depart store, metro station and close to River.

Hotel offer very good Lounge services(breakfast and evening snack/free drink) for elite memebers and gym/pool is the best. Only complain is there is only few schedule shuttle bus between airport per day so transportation to airport is very limit unless paid for taxi or car rental
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:25 pm
Suspended

The JWs location is nothing more then their long distance bus station with assiciated nothing vrs the Renaissance located in a business district but with high end restaurants w/i easy walking distance....

This question was previously posted so use search function for Seoul (where these posts belong anyhow) to find responses from others....

QUOTE=RobertS975;21434104]Never been there before... which would be better to a three night stay, looking for restaurants, stores and general Korean ambiance.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The JWs location is nothing more then their long distance bus station with assiciated nothing vrs the Renaissance located in a business district but with high end restaurants w/i easy walking distance....

This question was previously posted so use search function for Seoul (where these posts belong anyhow) to find responses from others....

QUOTE=RobertS975;21434104]Never been there before... which would be better to a three night stay, looking for restaurants, stores and general Korean ambiance.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help. I have been here on FT for 12 years and I did a search! And I did see a post from you in one of the threads about the JW.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
I have never stayed at either the JW or the Renaissance (but will be at the Renaissance in November). But I have had many meetings, drinks etc. at both hotels. I do not like the location of the JW - it is connected to a shopping mall, but also the express bus terminal and traffic in and out of the area is an absolute mess (not so bad if you are taking the subway). Also, not much within walking distance to view around.

The Renaissance is very central in Kangnam with a lot of restaurants, bars, even a few parks. Plus it is easier for taking taxis to other areas of Kangnam. Traffic in this area is still not so good, but better than the JW area.

I cannot comment on rooms, but the JW has much better public spaces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.