Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Seoul, Korea

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by helvetic
Looking at a four-night stay tomorrow, trying to decide where to stay. Most important is proximity to transit — I want to be able to get to places easily, including Itaewon and Gangnam. Don't care about touristy sight. Close to nightlife is ideal.

Last time I stayed at the Sheraton Gangnam Palace and was not very happy.

This time I am considering the Four Points by Seoul Station, or the Courtyard / Aloft nearby the Westin (which is too expensive). Which would y'all recommend?
Of those 3, definitely the Courtyard Namdaemun or Aloft Myeongdong. Courtyard is a little bit more upscale and even better if you have access to the Executive Lounge, but the Aloft is right around the corner from Myeongdong and all of the street food and shopping that gets very lively at night. The Courtyard is across from Namdaemun market if you’re into shopping, but there are also a lot of late night bars/restaurants in the streets behind the hotel (Korean fried chicken and beer!)
helvetic and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by helvetic
Looking at a four-night stay tomorrow, trying to decide where to stay. Most important is proximity to transit — I want to be able to get to places easily, including Itaewon and Gangnam. Don't care about touristy sight. Close to nightlife is ideal.

Last time I stayed at the Sheraton Gangnam Palace and was not very happy.

This time I am considering the Four Points by Seoul Station, or the Courtyard / Aloft nearby the Westin (which is too expensive). Which would y'all recommend?
The Four Points Namsan is closer to Itaewon. A straight bus or taxi will get you there. It will take time to get to Cheongdam or Gangnam from North of the Han. At least 20 mins from Four Points.
helvetic likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:54 pm

Which Bonvoy hotel would you recommend for the most luxurious hotel stay in Seoul? I'm booking using points! I'm trying to celebrate a big event and want the best hotel. I'm very likely going to upgrade my room to a suite or if not a suite just a higher category.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osxunf
Which Bonvoy hotel would you recommend for the most luxurious hotel stay in Seoul? I'm booking using points! I'm trying to celebrate a big event and want the best hotel. I'm very likely going to upgrade my room to a suite or if not a suite just a higher category.
JW Marriott Seoul. Newly renovated and full of outlets to celebrate at and things to shop at the Shinsegae.

My other suggestion would be a suite at the RYSE and partying in Hongdae if you're game for that.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by osxunf
I’m currently staying at the JW Marriott in Seoul. Absolutely has been a pleasure so far. It’s my first time back to Seoul since they renovated a few years ago. It was nice before and even nicer now.

The lounge is one of my favorites in the Marriott portfolio. The staff really gets to know you well and offers amazing service throughout the day. The new layout is also nice, as it’s broken down into sections. It seems larger as we too. Even when it’s busy during the evening hours, it never feels crowded. The handmade cocktails and specialty drink menu are also an excellent touch.

My only complains with this property are the lack of upgrades I grew accustomed to here. I used to always be upgraded, especially as an Ambassador, however during my last 5 stays this past month, only 1 was upgraded (Friday-Sunday stay). Don’t get me wrong, I shouldn’t complain, but it was always nice to have a larger room or suite when available. Also, the water view isn’t anything to write home about. There is a lot of construction, including some new towers going up, so the water view is a bit disappointing now. Also, if you’re staying on one of the lower level water view rooms, you’re going to be overlooking a parking lot and bus yard. As it stands now, the city view would be my preference.

All in all, excellent property. Check-in is also on 8F or 9F (if you have lounge access).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnderEst

I’m currently staying at the JW Marriott in Seoul. Absolutely has been a pleasure so far. It’s my first time back to Seoul since they renovated a few years ago. It was nice before and even nicer now.

The lounge is one of my favorites in the Marriott portfolio. The staff really gets to know you well and offers amazing service throughout the day. The new layout is also nice, as it’s broken down into sections. It seems larger as we too. Even when it’s busy during the evening hours, it never feels crowded. The handmade cocktails and specialty drink menu are also an excellent touch.

My only complains with this property are the lack of upgrades I grew accustomed to here. I used to always be upgraded, especially as an Ambassador, however during my last 5 stays this past month, only 1 was upgraded (Friday-Sunday stay). Don’t get me wrong, I shouldn’t complain, but it was always nice to have a larger room or suite when available. Also, the water view isn’t anything to write home about. There is a lot of construction, including some new towers going up, so the water view is a bit disappointing now. Also, if you’re staying on one of the lower level water view rooms, you’re going to be overlooking a parking lot and bus yard. As it stands now, the city view would be my preference.

All in all, excellent property. Check-in is also on 8F or 9F (if you have lounge access).
I'm really surprised an Ambassador wasn't upgraded. You got the same room you booked?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm really surprised an Ambassador wasn't upgraded. You got the same room you booked?
No, I received the same room I booked, which was a "Deluxe Premier View". I typically don't expect upgrades, especially on stays of 5+ nights, however in the past, this hotel has always been exceptional for room upgrades. I've stayed here 5 times within the past 4-5 weeks and I'm on my last stay right now. I know there are nicer rooms available, as I can book them for the same date ranges, so occupancy isn't as much of an issue. Again, I don't expect upgrades any more, even when Bonvoy really does tout them as an elite benefit. I've lowered my expectations for the entire program and in recent months, my ambassador has gone quiet. This is a whole other conversation, so I'll leave it at that.

Again, my pick still remains this hotel because the renovations have been very nice and the service is some of the best I've received in Korea. FWIW, I've overheard other guests checking into their rooms from the lounge and it seems most are not getting upgrades, or they're being told that the upgrade available is a high floor. Some take the news better than others.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnderEst
No, I received the same room I booked, which was a "Deluxe Premier View". I typically don't expect upgrades, especially on stays of 5+ nights, however in the past, this hotel has always been exceptional for room upgrades. I've stayed here 5 times within the past 4-5 weeks and I'm on my last stay right now. I know there are nicer rooms available, as I can book them for the same date ranges, so occupancy isn't as much of an issue. Again, I don't expect upgrades any more, even when Bonvoy really does tout them as an elite benefit. I've lowered my expectations for the entire program and in recent months, my ambassador has gone quiet. This is a whole other conversation, so I'll leave it at that.

Again, my pick still remains this hotel because the renovations have been very nice and the service is some of the best I've received in Korea. FWIW, I've overheard other guests checking into their rooms from the lounge and it seems most are not getting upgrades, or they're being told that the upgrade available is a high floor. Some take the news better than others.
I know some hotels keep suites to try to sell them to Koreans on weekends in packages. That's what probably is happening here.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:14 pm

Looking to visit Seoul and I still have the Certificate for 7 nites from last year Cat 1-5 before the change. Will I be able to use the cert for staying at this JW Marriott? Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:58 am

Westin chosun seoul

Myungdong area around the westin is a total tourist trap but acess to main transit lines is excellent.

Last edited by bizum; Jul 22, 2019 at 11:10 am
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:59 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Question for those who stay in Seoul a lot. I'll probably have to stay 4-6 weeks next summer. Usually I only do 2 weeks in the summer and so I pick a hotel near where I will be for that stay. This time I have something going on near kangnam station. That means I'll want to stay at a hotel that doesn't require a lot for me to get there in the morning. I am leaning on Le Meridian (never stayed there) or Sheraton Palace Hotel (stayed there a lot).

Question 1: Is it possible to negotiate a long term stay price with the hotel? Has anyone done this before? How did you go about doing it?
Question 2: Does anyone know about laundry services around those two hotels? I'm pretty sure they don't have the basement washer/dryer thing going like some hotels in Seoul do.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:01 pm

Planning to use a cat 1-4 7 night cert at the Courtyard Namdaemun.
I would have liked to stay at Ryse but it's a cat 5.
What are the chances of upgrade to a larger room on a high floor as a Plat elite?
Is 7 nights in Seoul too much for a first time visitor?

Also, I plan on going in mid Sept, where the estimated temps will be highs of 77F and lows of 62F.
Will I need a jacket or will it still be fairly warm and humid during that time?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:16 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
What are the chances of upgrade to a larger room on a high floor as a Plat elite?

Also, I plan on going in mid Sept, where the estimated temps will be highs of 77F and lows of 62F.
Will I need a jacket or will it still be fairly warm and humid during that time?
Upgrade chances are random. My last stay there was in February, and I was plat at the time and got upgraded to a slightly bigger room than my previous stay in Dec when I was gold. Don't be afraid to ask in the app if you do mobile check-in, or at the counter when you do check in.

I am a bit biased as I go to Seoul A LOT and I always feel I never have enough time. In 7 days you can see all the sights you want. Within walking distance of that hotel you have 2 palaces you can visit, and a few shopping areas. I recommend hitting up the DMZ tour if you can get into one.

Temperatures are random, and also what you might find warm/cold and I find warm/cold could be different too. I typically won't wear a jacket until October, but my wife might have something long sleeve on at night in September.

I'll be staying at the same hotel at the end of September and I had not planned on bringing a jacket to Korea with me, just some long sleeve shirts.

I hope this helps.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelchurner

7 nights is more than enough time in seoul. The days will be sunny and warm. Nights are pleasant but I like it cold. I think a windbreaker or hoodie would be more than enough.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Never been to Seoul -- looks like a work trip might take me to AP in October and I'll have a free night/day on the way home in Seoul. Trying to figure out the best Marriott for what will be a very packed and short day of being a tourist before heading to ICN for the 740pm DL flight back to the US plus the benefits of being a Titanium member (will be flying in from SIN on either the SQ direct that lands at 4pm or the KE direct that lands at 630pm)

In-policy options:

Sheraton Seoul D CUBE
JW Marriott Seoul
Plaza Seoul
Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangham
Westin Chosun Seoul

Unfortunately RYSE is out of policy -- other option is the Conrad Seoul (have Diamond via the CC and will have Titanium for 2020 already secured so don't need to stay at a Marriott but seems like the Marriott options are better)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.