Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 4, 21, 4:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 30, 22, 8:56 am
  #646  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,022
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
It sounds like OP is trying to be in Downtown Scottsdale, which is quite specific. I think they've identified the two full-service Bonvoy options unless they want a resort like Camelback Inn or the Phoenician (would probably have comparable rates to the W).

I think Old Town Marriott is all-suites, so that's something :-)
Ah, I missed that. Had assumed that "downtown" was implying downtown Phoenix from the thread title.

David
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
DELee is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 10:43 am
  #647  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,597
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Hello

First time visitor to Scottsdale (and PHX as well as AZ as a whole) and will stay there Friday 19th until 22nd August. I am wondering what hotel you would recommend?

I am in between the Marriott Old Town and the W (but my experience with W's in the US is rather underwhelming so not sure if its worth double the price, plus it has rather average reviews on the Marriott page).

Or should I go for another hotel? Close to downtown (I believe the old town in this case) and a pool would be appreciated.

Cheers
D
Duck1981 I looked at rates for your dates and think you should go with the Old Town Marriott. You're guaranteed a suite, and reviews are generally good - only knocking it for dated aesthetics. I've had good stays at "dated" Marriotts that are reviewed well and maintain the necessities for comfort. At half the price of the other options, it seems like the best choice.
DELee likes this.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:35 pm
  #648  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
Duck1981 I looked at rates for your dates and think you should go with the Old Town Marriott. You're guaranteed a suite, and reviews are generally good - only knocking it for dated aesthetics. I've had good stays at "dated" Marriotts that are reviewed well and maintain the necessities for comfort. At half the price of the other options, it seems like the best choice.
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Ah, I missed that. Had assumed that "downtown" was implying downtown Phoenix from the thread title.

David
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
It sounds like OP is trying to be in Downtown Scottsdale, which is quite specific. I think they've identified the two full-service Bonvoy options unless they want a resort like Camelback Inn or the Phoenician (would probably have comparable rates to the W).

I think Old Town Marriott is all-suites, so that's something :-)
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Fundamentally, Greater Phoenix is a rather large expansive urban area. Where to stay is really driven by where you plan to go and spend time outside of the hotel and stuff that you want to do. Unless it is all about the hotel.

What are your plans?

David
Thanks for all your replies.

I have a meeting Saturday AM in Old Town Scottsdale and then time off until I fly back to London via LAX Sunday 4pm.

So I just like to walk around, find a nice bar for a few drinks, end up at the hotel bar and spend Sunday at a pool if available.

Couldnt find any pics of the Old Town Marriott pool; I think the W pool might definitely have a party vibe but not sure if its worth to pay the double rate (based on my company rate its $140 per night at the Marriott vs $380 at the W).

I unfortunately wont have the time to go into Phoenix I believe.

D
Duck1981 is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:56 pm
  #649  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,597
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

I have a meeting Saturday AM in Old Town Scottsdale and then time off until I fly back to London via LAX Sunday 4pm.

So I just like to walk around, find a nice bar for a few drinks, end up at the hotel bar and spend Sunday at a pool if available.

Couldnt find any pics of the Old Town Marriott pool; I think the W pool might definitely have a party vibe but not sure if its worth to pay the double rate (based on my company rate its $140 per night at the Marriott vs $380 at the W).

I unfortunately wont have the time to go into Phoenix I believe.

D
Based on TripAdvisor reviews, the W's pool is not managed by the hotel and will only let in patrons that are pretty. Now, those reviews might be false OR you might be pretty, but I would definitely consider that before booking the W.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 4:53 pm
  #650  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
Based on TripAdvisor reviews, the W's pool is not managed by the hotel and will only let in patrons that are pretty. Now, those reviews might be false OR you might be pretty, but I would definitely consider that before booking the W.
A pool not managed by the hotel? W hotels in the US are really a class of their own (ugh)
Duck1981 is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 7:02 pm
  #651  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 32,017
Old town Scottsdale is decent. Lots of restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. Easily walkable. I havent stayed at a Marriott property, but have stayed at a number of Hiltons in the area and up and down Scottsdale Rd for staycations.

Just remember August is still usually quite hot. Hydrate properly!
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Jul 31, 22, 9:56 am
  #652  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 26,548
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

I have a meeting Saturday AM in Old Town Scottsdale and then time off until I fly back to London via LAX Sunday 4pm.

So I just like to walk around, find a nice bar for a few drinks, end up at the hotel bar and spend Sunday at a pool if available.

Couldnt find any pics of the Old Town Marriott pool; I think the W pool might definitely have a party vibe but not sure if its worth to pay the double rate (based on my company rate its $140 per night at the Marriott vs $380 at the W).

I unfortunately wont have the time to go into Phoenix I believe.

D
No need to go into Phoenix, you're not missing anything. Downtown is still crickets after dark.

The W is a great hotel with great pool/bar on the 2nd level. Despite what another poster said about letting attractive people in I have never heard of seen that in action the handful of times I've been.

Plenty of hotels around old town and restaurants too. There are a fee NY style pizza places on offer as well.
Duck1981 likes this.
enviroian is online now  
Old Jul 31, 22, 7:06 pm
  #653  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 32,017
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
No need to go into Phoenix, you're not missing anything. Downtown is still crickets after dark.
Not quite true.

We did two stays downtown this year, and found plenty of dining and events after dark. Between sporting events, concerts and so forth, we were never bored.

It’s certainly different from when I worked nearby in 1983-1984. Then it really was a bleak scene. Dive bars on the periphery, a bit dangerous to walk alone, too. I recall Danny Bonaduce lived in one of the newer residential projects in the early 90’s, before his assault of a transexual sex worker ended his radio career in PHX in 1991.

Given that the OP is a doing a short stay, unless there is an event in downtown Phoenix, I would probably stick to Old Town Scottsdale. No need to rent a car, and other than some inebrated ‘bro’s at some of the bars, it’s pretty safe.
Duck1981 likes this.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Jul 31, 22 at 7:15 pm
Jaimito Cartero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread