Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite * UA Premier * Marriott Platinum * Hertz #1Gold Five Star
Have stayed at both properties. I think they are pretty different:
RC Dove Mtn: Tucson (1.5 hrs drive from PHX), Brand new, modern, single bldg style. Great pools/spa.etc. Located north of Tucson in Marana, quite aways from dwntwn Tucson, and Tucson pretty low key. Tucson is higher in elevation and generally cooler.

JW Camelback: Very historical property. JW service but casitas/lots of walking. You drive/park at your room - so spread out and more of the older motor-lodge style from the 50s. The rooms are somewhat updated but still have tub/shower combo's/dated bathrooms etc. This is Mr. Marriott's favorite property and they still come for family vacations every Feb. - but is is very classic/historic 1930's Phoenix style. Refined/cleaned but very traditional. Phx/Scottsdale lots more shopping/action and nightlife. As all JWs do: it has a full service Starbucks on site.

I was just in Phx Mon-Wed this week --- cold! 60 was thge high. But supposed to be back to normal/beautiful this weekend.

Both those properties are very nice - just pretty different. One is brand new/remote desert RC Dove Mtn. The JW Camelback is classic/historic resort like the 1920's (think Rita Hayworth....)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Government rate at Dove Mountain! Now we're talkin.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
reading your post a little better - I'll break it down. I have spent extensive time at both properties. I love both properties (like MSP) but for different reasons.

Don't bother with Starr Pass or Tempe Buttes. Both are dated properties. Star Pass has WAY to many kids for my liking.

Pools
That's tough. The pools at Camelback are nice, but rather plain. The pool at the Ritz is multi tiered. The top section is more akin to sunbathers. The top section (complete with waterlide) is a little more active.

Rooms
The Ritz rooms are new and done in a modern rustic deco. We had a suite and couldn't hear noise from any direction. This property will upgrade MW Platinums. There is no Club Lounge this time of year I believe

The Camelback rooms
Resort Fee waived for platinums, those on corporate rates, and government rates. Property is very spread out. The rooms have been updated but some of the interior walls have seen better days and it's really a crapshoot with the bathrooms.

Golf/Tennis/Hiking
Both over Hiking right from the resort - although I enjoyed the hikes at Dove Mountain better. Both are situated on/near a golf course. Tennis - I don't believe the Dove Mountain has tennis facilities, but I do believe the Camelback does.

Dining
Camelback has better/wider variety of onsite dining options, and a decent tequila bar to boot. It's close to the places for additional dining options from the $ - $$$$ range.
Dove Mountain has a nice restaurant, but can be pricey for all meals for some people. The nearest additional dining is 15-20 minutes in Oro Valley (?) and those options aren't great (Ceasars Keg and a few others). It's a 45 minute drive back into Tucson.

I forget if this is the time of year for thunderstorms - if it is - Dove Mountain is absolutely beautiful during these shows

Originally Posted by hindukid
Thinking of flying to Phoenix this weekend to get away from the cold here and try and get some sun. Original plan was Miami but weather is looking not so good this weekend.

I can get gov't rates at JW Camelback or Ritz Dove Mountain. Also Starr Pass, Tempe Buttes and McDowell Mountain but those seem to be not as good.

Thinking of the Camelback as it well rated, short drive to PHX, and weather is supposed to be a bit warmer. high temps are only a couple degrees warmer but lows are almost ten degrees warmer. Since we are trying to sunbathe and it already a little cool, those few degrees seem important.

Ritz is actually a few dollars less. Mostly I am figuring since its a RC it will be nicer. Though I guess JW is 5 diamond. Still I think the pics of the RC look a little bit better.

Planning on flying in sat morning and leaving tuesday evening and not leaving the resort for much other than dinner. Guessing the mornings may be a little cold for the pool so was thinking of doing things like Tennis, hiking, and maybe the driving range.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hindukid
Though I guess JW is 5 diamond.
JW Marriott Camelback Inn Loses Five-Star AAA Status
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Nobody's chimed in on McDowell Mountain, so I'll add two cents. It's not a resort by Marriott standards but definitely has more resort amenities than your standard hotel. There's no CL so elites get the complimentary breakfast buffet which is outstanding. They have a big but ordinary pool, and a very nice bar area with pool tables overlooking it. All rooms are suites, which is nice if you need a little extra space. North Scottsdale is an easy drive away, and downtown Scottsdale just a bit further.

I like it better than the Camelback, but my two stays at the Camelback were "meh" from a guest service standpoint and I don't really go for that "we're retro because we were built way back then, not because retro is cool" feel.

I've also had good stays at the Buttes, which has more of a true resort feel and one of the best restaurants in Phoenix on-site, but others have complained about tired decor there as well.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:54 pm

Thanks Everybody. We have booked the Dove Mountain RC.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Interesting... have a stay coming up at the JW Desert Ridge in two weeks for spring training... usually stay at the Camelback but trying something different. I'll look at the RC as well but does anyone have any experience for a Plat at JW Desert Ridge?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, AA Lifetime Gold, United Premier Gold, Hilton Gold
Just returned from a 4 night stay at JW Desert Ridge. Was treated very well as a plat.....upgraded to an exec suite on the 6th corner with views of the Mountains. Very Nice!

Contacted prior to arrival by the conceirge who assisted with dinner, golf tourney transport, and spa appointments.

Arrived at 9am (had asked for early arrival). Couldn't immediately accommodate me until 11am...No complaints. Used the Lower lobby to catch up on some work. One of the FD folks stopped by and asked me (by name) if I needed anything. I said a coffee would be nice. Five minutes later a large cup of coffee appeared in front of me..no charge. Nice touch.

Recognized as Plat at check in and given a Plat benny card. Use of the SPA Gym is a nice benefit. The regular gym was fine as well although a little crowded even at 6am. Free appie at a couple of the restaurants were used as well (not accepted at Roys though).

Played two rounds at Wildfire Palmer course (one discounted through GOLFNOW at 129...usually 199 during the time I was there.

Hope that Helps
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Great to hear. Thanks!
Old May 4, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Griffin club at JW desert ridge

Planning trip to the JW and not sure if the Griffin club is worth it...we are taking 2 kids under 5 and its a 21 and over club..but I've read on here that that people have seen kids in there? Don't want to break any rules, but would like to not leave my kids in a closet somewhere while I go grab a snack....

Any feedback from recent patrons there would be helpful... Thanks!
Old May 4, 2013, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

How would you not be breaking the rules? It's pretty clear that it's 21+.

http://www.jwdesertridgeresort.com/Griffin-Club-46.html
Old May 5, 2013, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, an optional add-on at this hotel costs more than a full night of stay at many other hotels in PHX... It is $75 now - do they add all the tourism taxes on top of that?
Old May 5, 2013, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by username
Wow, an optional add-on at this hotel costs more than a full night of stay at many other hotels in PHX... It is $75 now - do they add all the tourism taxes on top of that?
Looks like they raised the price? I thought it was $50/person before. Taxes are probably an add-on. Looking at dayone's link, one could have breakfast, lunch, dinner apps & booze & never have to leave the club for anything else!

Cheers.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dayone
How would you not be breaking the rules? It's pretty clear that it's 21+.

http://www.jwdesertridgeresort.com/Griffin-Club-46.html
because the Ritz and Marriott club "rules" clearly state that children under 18 can't enter and need to be accompanied by an adult and every one of the last 20 times I've stayed at the Ritz or Marriott executive clubs there have been "under 18's unaccompanied" walking in and out, so although rules are in place sometimes they're not adhered too as strictly as I'm sure you would like them to be...sooo I was looking for input from those who may have recently been there, but your cheeky pedantic response is much appreciated, but not helpful..thanks for the link too
Old May 5, 2013, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kcmd
because the Ritz and Marriott club "rules" clearly state that children under 18 can't enter and need to be accompanied by an adult and every one of the last 20 times I've stayed at the Ritz or Marriott executive clubs there have been "under 18's unaccompanied" walking in and out, so although rules are in place sometimes they're not adhered too as strictly as I'm sure you would like them to be...sooo I was looking for input from those who may have recently been there, but your cheeky pedantic response is much appreciated, but not helpful..thanks for the link too
The best thing to do is call the property & ask specifically. You can mention your other experiences & see if they say it's ok at Griffin Club. Better to go straight to the source rather than relying on a IBB. It's not like you can say to the lounge attendent, well someone on FT said it was ok to bring the kids.

FWIW - I appreciated the link, as it's always good to know what's included & hours of service. The GC has been updated style wise since I was there, based on the picture.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.