Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:19 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Desert Ridge is the nicest/newest. In fact, my former (software) company had its annual users' group mtg there last November. I like it the best of the Phx area Marriotts.

I also like McDowell on the East side of town (good Sunday brunch), and the Renn is a bit of 'Old Scottsdale' charm, excellent location, and individual hot tubs are a nice touch.

Can't really go wrong with either of the 3.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by DENROC
IMO Desert Ridge is the best facility in the area.
Yes, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge is my favorite Marriott property in Arizona, and very convenient to where my friends live. However in regards to the original poster's request, it is not in Scottsdale and probably the farthest from the Scottsdale action (which I prefer). It's large, new and there seems to be a lot of walking, especially if you self-park.

I've also stayed at the Marriott McDowell Mountains, but I consider it on the fringes of Scottsdale and a bit distant to the heart of Scottsdale, I'd probably like it more if were a golfer. The few facilities and dining options aren't as lavish nor as varied as the aforementioned JWMDR.

Last edited by Mr. Roboto; Aug 9, 2005 at 9:33 pm
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:01 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
Yes, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge is my favorite Marriott property in Arizona, and very convenient to where my friends live. However in regards to the original poster's request, it is not in Scottsdale and probably the farthest from the Scottsdale action (which I prefer). It's large, new and there seems to be a lot of walking, especially if you self-park.

I've also stayed at the Marriott McDowell Mountains, but I consider it on the fringes of Scottsdale and a bit distant to the heart of Scottsdale, I'd probably like it more if were a golfer. The few facilities and dining options aren't as lavish nor as varied as the aforementioned JWMDR.
If you are looking for a Scottsdale property near all the dining and entertainment options of Old Town Scottsdale, try the Old Town Scottsdale Suites property on 3rd and Scottsdale Rd. Within walking distance to a ton of stuff. Otherwise go for the JW Desert Ridge. It is close to a ton of bars/restaurants and a top notch shopping area, Kierland Commons. Either way you can't lose. The Renaissance is worn and shows its age, I would avoid this property.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
So how is this place? I've got one more bonus bucks to burn and I found this place for a $69/nt weekend rate. I also found a good rate at the Marriott Suites Scottsdale for the same dates ($80/nt) but it is a AAA rate and I don't feel like taking a chance that they won't accept the certificate.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Both facililties are "OK" Suites is a better location.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:53 am

I also just found the Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains for $99/nt, but I can't tell from the photos if it would be worth the extra $19 per night.

So if I'm looking for a place to just relax, can some Phoenix area experts tell me which you'd choose to just take it easy for 2 nights:

Marriott Suites Scottsdale $80/nt for a suite.

Mesa Marriott $69/nt for a regular room.

Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains $99/nt for a suite.

(with $100 off Mesa would be a great deal, but I'm leaning toward the $80 suite)
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:01 pm

Programs: Too many to list
My favorite hotel is the McDowell Mountain Marriott, it is the nicest and has a resort feel to it, even though it is not one. Better pool and public areas. This would get my vote, although it is a tough call whether it is worth the extra money. The Scottsdale Suites is very nice as well and has the best location, right in old town Scottsdale. If you are after close proximity to restaurants and nightlife, then chose this hotel. Either way you can not lose. AVOID the Mesa Marriott, service is somewhat lacking and the location is horrible. There is nothing to do in Downtown Mesa, it is a bit away from the freeways, and there is nothing within walking distance really. As they say in the construction business, there is a reason why someone is the low bidder. Just my 2 cents.....
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by marquiss22
My favorite hotel is the McDowell Mountain Marriott, it is the nicest and has a resort feel to it, even though it is not one. Better pool and public areas. This would get my vote, although it is a tough call whether it is worth the extra money. The Scottsdale Suites is very nice as well and has the best location, right in old town Scottsdale. If you are after close proximity to restaurants and nightlife, then chose this hotel. Either way you can not lose. AVOID the Mesa Marriott, service is somewhat lacking and the location is horrible. There is nothing to do in Downtown Mesa, it is a bit away from the freeways, and there is nothing within walking distance really. As they say in the construction business, there is a reason why someone is the low bidder. Just my 2 cents.....

Thanks. I will definitely avoid Mesa, and go with one of the other two. Tripadvisor has about a dozen reviews praising the beds at McDowell Mountain, so I'm thinking it may be worth the extra 40 bucks.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Question

For the same dates, I found CY Scottsdale N for $152.00, FI (N) for $104.00, and SHS (N) for $134.00. Which would you recommend since they are all category 3, and within a mile of each other?

(We would like to be close to the Westin Kierland Resort and these are the choices I found.)

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Go for the SHS Scottsdale North. It was fully renovated last summer. Nice clean rooms, good free breakfast, and good wireless high speed Internet. Don’t remember exactly, but it is roughly 5 to 10 minutes drive to Kierland.

By the way the CY is across the parking lot and was renovated at the same time. I generally prefer SHS to CY. I didn’t try this CY but it looked fine as well. But you get less for more money (e.g. breakfast is not included at CY).

The FI is down the road a bit and a similar distance to Kierland. I’d definitely fork up the extra cash for the SHS.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Sep 1, 2005 at 12:41 pm
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by belle3388
For the same dates, I found CY Scottsdale N for $152.00, FI (N) for $104.00, and SHS (N) for $134.00. Which would you recommend since they are all category 3, and within a mile of each other?

(We would like to be close to the Westin Kierland Resort and these are the choices I found.)

Thanks!
I've stayed at the Fairfield and visited the Courtyard; have never been to the Springhill. For $50, I don't know that the Courtyard is worth it.

The Fairfield lays out a nice "continental" breakfast buffet, and the staff is much better than you'll find at most Courtyards. If you're elite, you'll probably get a room on the 3rd floor, which has inside entrances.

For some unpleasant news, a desk clerk was killed there a couple of weeks ago; however it will not deter me from staying again.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=46594
Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:52 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Thumbs up

Thanks for your prompt and helpful advice, Jon Maiman and AZ_MISMAN and I am especially grateful for the news concerning the recent event at FI. That just made it an easy decision for me to hence book the SHS for our five-night stay in Scottsdale.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Marriott Suites Old Town v. McDowell Mountain?

Hi everyone. I am a loyal FT lurker and infrequent poster. I have searched. But this is an important question to me and I would really appreciate the current feedback of people I trust.

First week of January, my wife and children (5 year old and 1 year old girls) will find ourselves in the Phoenix area. I would like to burn about 100,000 or so points. I have narrowed it down to two choices: (1) Marriot Suites Old Town Scottsdale and (2) Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountain. I know we won't be able to swim much in January, and so the resort thing isn't all that important.

Frankly the bottom line is that I would stay at the resort by default (its a vacation after all), but the reviews of the Suites at Old Town are really really good.

Please tip me one way or the other.

(I had considered the Hilton Tapatio as an alternative, just to give you a frame of reference).

Many thanks as always.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA MM
These are completely different, so it's hard to give you advice. The Marriott at McDowell Mountain is pretty much alone - it's a resort. You'll need a car to go anywhere.

The Old Town is an urban hotel, to the extent that anything in Scottsdale can be considered urban. You can walk around Old Town Scottsdale - there are a lot of stores in the area aimed at taking money from tourists, as well as a large arts district. It's hard to imagine being in Arizona without a car, but at the Old Town you can get by without one.

Unfortunately, I can't really help you decide which is better for 2 young children. Sorry I'm not much help.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Camelback says only Stay Anytime Awards available for November 2006. Is this a scam?

We're hoping to spend 7 nights at the Camelback Inn (Scottsdale, AZ), beginning November 18, 2006. Have been checking marriott.com and calling reservations for the last week, and have been told that no Standard Awards are available for any of those seven days, only Stay Anytime Awards. As these dates were just loaded into the reservation system, it is hard to believe that others claimed those awards before us. Is it possible that Marriott has not made any Standard awards available, because they think people will pay the 195,000 points? Is that capitalism at work, or is it an unethical bait and switch scheme (leading its MR members to believe that they can get a week-long award for 130K when in fact 195K are needed)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.