Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Ditto...Just returned from Grand Cayman on September 8th...used points and stayed at the Ritz...in fact pointsavers start there on October 4th...not even worth debating...Grand Cayman is the best...choose the Ritz!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, WN CP
Originally Posted by IrieDame
Ditto...Just returned from Grand Cayman on September 8th...used points and stayed at the Ritz...in fact pointsavers start there on October 4th...not even worth debating...Grand Cayman is the best...choose the Ritz!
Thanks for letting me know about the point saver...I just made a reservation at the Ritz! We'll be splitting our time between the Ritz and Marriott, the Ritz is blacked out part of the time we'll be there.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT
I stayed at the Marriott from 10/6 - 10/10 last fall - the Spa construction was not complete, but everything else is open.

Compared to other Marriott resorts I've stayed in this one is pretty low on the list. The hotel is new & nice, but 7-mile beach, the Resorts' beach and the surrounding area are just terrible!

The distance from the hotel edge to beach is VERY small - probably the worst I've ever seen (and I've been to some crappy beaches in NJ/DE). The water quality was horrible - nice green/blue but completely opaque... there were also these very sharp coral-like objects that were sometimes only 6-12 inches below the surface. Combine these with the poor visibility and you have a potentially painful beach experience.

The diving in Cayman's is amazing with visibility routinely 100+ ft. - but this clarity does not extend to the beach behind the Marriott.

The area also is noticeably lacking for food - a few lame tourist traps nearby that absolutely gouge tourists, and I think a Pizza Hut/Burger King.

Stay elsewhere!!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, LT Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I would stay at the Westin in Grand Caymen.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Well this thread is certainly informative.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does it close during the summer? I cant seem to book any dates from June-August at this property. Last time I was there, they were planning on adding an elevated walkway to connect the property with the beach so guests didnt have to cross the street...have they done that yet?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Actually it is not available for any dates after the night of April 29th. That includes being signed in as a Platinum, no Plat override rooms. My guess is that this property is leaving the Marriott family.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone confirm if this is happening for sure and what it will become?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:23 pm

I doubt anyone will confirm it. They same thing happened to Renaissance Reißersee in Garmisch-Partenkirchen Germany and I called the hotel twice, reservations a few times, and then when I was staying there late November I asked why inventory wasn't available after Dec. 31 and they said rates had not been released yet. Well come Dec 30 there was a message on marriott.com that this hotel was leaving Marriott. I don’t think Marriott likes to publicize these defections, which seems to be more frequent in the last year. They like for these hotels to quietly slip away when it does happen.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
[QUOTE=uncle wiggily;3528929]I used to go to the Caymans frequently and stayed at the Hyatt.

Your post is your viewpoint would be better off in a general Cayman thread then a thread about the Courtyard Cayman.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Question Marriott properties in the Grand Cayman

I'm planning a short (3 or 4 night) 10th Anniversary trip for my wife and I to somewhere in the Caribbean for roughly June 4-8. I want to use Marriott Rewards points for the lodging. Right now I'm leaning toward Grand Cayman as my top choice.

Unfortunately, award nights at the Ritz Carlton are sold out, so I have a choice between the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort and the Courtyard Grand Cayman.

The Courtyard appears to be across the road from the beach, rather than on the beach. The Courtyard also doesn't seem to have award night options that guarantee a water view.

Can anyone shed some light on these properties?

Here are some general questions to help direct responses.
  1. Is the Marriott significantly better that it is worth spending a few more points?
  2. How much better is a beach view room than a courtyard view room at the Marriott?
  3. What is a "no view" room at the Marriott, and how does it compare to a courtyard view room at the Marriott?
  4. How would I go about getting a water view room at the Courtyard if I book the only available award - a "standard room" (king or double)?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

-Michael
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've stayed at the Marriott Grand Cayman resort. I think its worth the extra points, unless you can get a point saver award at the Courtyard (which they run occasionally there).

The Marriott is right on the beach. They have a smallish pool and tanning deck around it, along with an open air restaurant overlooking the beach. There is an artificial reef just off shore so snorkling is great.
About the rooms... the hotel is sort of shaped like a square. The front is the lobby and conference area. In the middle is a large tropical garden/courtyard with a path to the pool/beach. There are a lot of turtles that walk around so its pretty amusing. Rooms are located on the left/right wings and also straight ahead. The 'courtyard' view would be rooms looking on the inside of this garden area. Oceanfront and beach view are in the forward area looking directly out to the pool/beach/ocean and the upper rooms along the left/right wings. I'm not exactly sure what 'no view' would be, unless its some of the low floor rooms along the sides, since they would be looking at the properties on either side of the Marriott.

The Courtyard hotel is across from the beach near the Westin. The beach is huge and gorgeous in that area so walking across to it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure how to help you with the water view room though.

If you're going to be there long enough on Sunday, I reccomend the brunch at the Westin. Its quite good, although pricey. Much more than just normal brunch food, plus they had unlimited mimosas included. You might want to inquire about it.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
I got enaged at the GC Marriott, it was not our favorite Marriott. The beach still had hurrinace damage we are avid swimmers and both got cuts on rocks going in and out of the water. The hotel did not have a resort feel you have to go outside the hotel for any night acitiives. There currecy was stronger than the dollar and am sure its worst now and we thought things we a bit expenisve for the carriebean. I would recommend St Kitts or Aruba.

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Look for my Review from Feb. 2006

We did not like the Marriott whatsoever. The service was horrible all around. Look for my review from Feb. 2006. We are going back to St. Kitts. It is wonderful.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:47 pm

Stay at the Westin. The Cayman dollar is fixed to the us dollar at $1.25 USD per Cayman dollar; so no flucuations relative to the USD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.