Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hnewman
6. Wednesday our rooms were not cleaned until 16:30 waking us from a nap.
I would suggest using the do not disturb sign in the future. When you are done napping, you can then call housekeeping and request service.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:55 am

The Marriott Grand Cayman treated us very well on our stay several years ago (Plat). Our departure from home was delayed a day due to 24" of snow, and the front desk was very accomodating, offering to change our dates at a moments notice.

Since we were on an award stay and were now a day short (thereby needing a voucher for 5 days not 6), the front desk checked us in with NO voucher at all and even facilitated getting us the right voucher (this was before electronic vouchers).

They upgraded us to a wonderful oceanfront room and really made us feel comfortable after what was an exhaustive and frustrating journey.

Is this a true resort? No, not really. It's quiet. The facilities are a bit sparse (not many lobby shops, small pool). The beach was small (though it supposedly has actually increased since Hurricane Ivan hit). We didn't care about the lounge chairs because the ocean water was wonderful and we spent all of our time there.

I know the OP had one bad waitress and a few minor annoyances. But they could all have been remedied immediately by just speaking up. No offense, really, but to say that it is too much trouble to simply ask "do you have my Platinum gift request card?" because you are on vacation, but obviously spend the vacation getting steamed about it, seems unnecessary. Simply call the desk (or ask at check-in, when it obviously hasn't been offered) and ask. Takes 20 seconds. In all fairness, if you didn't get it, isn't it worth asking at check-out to get your $100 guarantee?

The Caymans need tourist $$$ after their island was decimated by Ivan. I would encourage anyone to go there and stay at ANY hotel. It's a great island.

I would think that Marriott management, being so stung by the tourist drop-off on the island, would have LOVED an opportunity right then and there to make the stay right.

Sorry your vacation wasn't as much fun as you had hoped.

I must be easy to please
NickDakota likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 6:09 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by Jeeves
While I found your complaints to be something to discuss, I don't thing they are reasons to boycott this hotel. I have never stayed at this particular hotel, but I can tell you that stuff happens and not every stay is perfect.

How important is the plantium gift or recogition at checkin?. Sure you expect it but does it really make a difference in a weeklong stay?

Wendy fails her job 4 times at one F&B experience during a weeklong stay.

Chairs and umbrellas are hogged by the early birds. This is pretty common at many resorts within and outside of Marriott.

One day out of seven, your room wasn't cleaned by 4:30pm and you got woke up from your nap.

Lastly, you were not asked how your stay was at check out.

Listening to your complaints, I think your reasons for "not visiting" are minor.

I wish that most of my weeklong visits to the Carribbean would go that smoothly.

I guess my expectations are higher given what we experienced in Aruba, Cancun and St. Kitts. It is a Marriott not a small hotel.

hsn
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: us cp, delta gold, marriott silver, hyatt gold, starwood gold.
We stayed at this hotel several years ago just after the beach erosion occurred from the storms.
We found it small and quiet, especially compared to the Westin, but
we had the best stay thanks to the staff.
The staff were awesome. They were so good that on our last night there, the bartender who had the night off, picked us up in her car and took us to her home to show it to us. She took us to the home of the owner of the electric company and showed us the christmas lights in the grounds of the home. We would never have seen this unbelievable display otherwise. We then went to dinner at a restaurant she liked. She then took us to a local hangout where there were other members of the staff. They then presented my husband with a box of cigars and myself with some of the local chocolate that I loved. My husband played darts with the guys and we had a few drinks. We emailed each other for several years afterwards.
By the way the lobster caesar salad was superb.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:08 am

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Although in most cases I've received my Platinum gift on award stays, most recently in January at the Marriott Waikiki Resort and the JW Marriott Ihilani on Oahu, the T&C's of the Platinum program mention that non-point earning (i.e. award stays) are not eligible.

From http://marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

The Platinum Arrival Gift 500 bonus points option is available only to point earning Marriott Rewards Platinum members staying at participating Marriott Hotels & Resorts and Renaissance Hotels & Resorts worldwide. Members earning miles can not choose the 500 bonus points.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by bankingconsultant
Although in most cases I've received my Platinum gift on award stays, most recently in January at the Marriott Waikiki Resort and the JW Marriott Ihilani on Oahu, the T&C's of the Platinum program mention that non-point earning (i.e. award stays) are not eligible.

From http://marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

The Platinum Arrival Gift 500 bonus points option is available only to point earning Marriott Rewards Platinum members staying at participating Marriott Hotels & Resorts and Renaissance Hotels & Resorts worldwide. Members earning miles can not choose the 500 bonus points.

I believe you are misinterpreting this rule.

What this rule says is that you must be accruing Marriott points (as opposed to the airline miles option) in order to accept the 500 points as a Platinum gift.

It does not mean that if you are on an award stay that you don't get a Platinum gift.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by flyerwife
I believe you are misinterpreting this rule.

What this rule says is that you must be accruing Marriott points (as opposed to the airline miles option) in order to accept the 500 points as a Platinum gift.

It does not mean that if you are on an award stay that you don't get a Platinum gift.
My interpretation, and my experience on several award stays, agrees.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:58 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Flyerwife and CPRich, many thanks for the information! I've always read it incorrectly, thinking that the stay itself has to accrue points, not that the profile option is points rather than miles....and have never questioned it when I haven't gotten a Plat amenity gift on award stays. Now I'll know that I need to look for it!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, WN CP
Marriott Grand Cayman

We are visiting the Marriott Grand Cayman in Novemeber. Does anyone have any recent experiences with this property. As a platinum, will I receive a breakfast voucher? (I've been pretty lucky at most resorts in terms of breakfast vouchers.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
This was my experience

Originally Posted by ssalt
We are visiting the Marriott Grand Cayman in Novemeber. Does anyone have any recent experiences with this property. As a platinum, will I receive a breakfast voucher? (I've been pretty lucky at most resorts in terms of breakfast vouchers.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531370

I hope you have better luck
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
My first reaction is to suggest that if you have 1000 spg points you get a 50% off room rate at the Westin instead. But read on.

I stayed at the Marriott during my first visit to GCM back in 2000 and then again on Sept 21 2001 for 1 night prior to departing on a Live Aboard dive trip. For a single night it is OK, but the Westin is much better IMO. I have stayed there at least a half dozen times and loved it.

In all fairness, I have not stayed there since 2001 so things have changed. The hotel was totally demolished by Hurricane Ivan in fall of 2004 having had the roof blown off and walls collapsed and has since been totally rebuilt. The problem here is that the property is too small to do a resort properly, so what this means is everything is squeezed onto this small footprint of land. The pool is a bit on the small side IMO. Now regarding the beach, there are reports that the beach actually improved with the last hurricane, as there was none to speak of prior to the hurricane. I just went and looked at the pictures on marriott.com. The pictures show a beach that is about over 6 times as big as the former beach. It used to literally be about 5-10 feet from the steps to the water. Now it looks like it is about 30-60 feet. A huge improvement. I would guess that the chair and umbrella situation has improved now that there is actually beach to put chairs and umbrellas.

FWIW, I stay at Marriott properties almost exclusively. This is the one place do not. Prior to the beach expansion I would sum up this hotel as an ocean front hotel trying to pass itself off as a resort. Even with the beach expansion I think the Westin is still probably a better choice.

BTW, the Marriott had a soft reopen on June 1 2005 and was fully functional some September 2005. Everything should be new, so those musty rooms I experienced should be gone!

Please post your experiences at this hotel as I, and others would be interested in what this hotel is like after the Hurricane Ivan rebuild. TIA
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:52 am
Suspended

Tripadvisor reports generally do not paint a pretty picture.

AAupgrade, is the Westin one of the few places where that 50% off SPG award certificate is actually useful? I have heard that it generally is not useful at all, that's why I ask.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:50 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Yes, I find the 50% off spg rates at the Cayman Westin to be very useful.

I usually go to the Caribbean during the off season for extended Memorial Day, July 4, or Labor Day weekends (5 nights) and have used them every time. I am also a skier so I don't do the Caribbean during peak season as I am skiing then. Also, ever since I started scuba diving the Atlantic beaches lost their appeal. I can go to the Caribbean for less, better accommodations, nicer lodging, and much warmer water that is the right color (light turquoise to blue azure, as oppose to turbid muddled brown). Now keep in mind that I am single so my cost only includes 1 r/t ticket. A family of four may well find the Atlantic beaches a bit more affordable.

So while I can't speak for peak winter season, during the summer I have gotten rates at the Westin ranging from $118 to $135 which is fantastic IMO.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:45 pm

I'm one of the rare few who liked this property. Maybe because I like Grand Cayman in general. It's much less crowded and much less commercial than most other Caribbean islands (though there is a Burger King, KFC and the like within walking distance of the Marriott).

Don't expect a mega-resort when you go here. The facilities are limited inasmuch as there aren't many on-site shops or restaurants. The pool is not huge, nor is the beach (though I hear that it's actually LARGER since Hurricane Ivan hit 2 years ago).

There is a snorkel reef (man-made, but very nice) right off the shore of Marriotts beach; lots of fish. No rough tide; perfect for the kids. Scuba lessons and other watersports available right there at Marriott through RedSail Sports. Also parasailing and an Avis rental desk on-site.

We had travel issues getting here when we went several years ago in Feb (two and a half feet of snow in NYC can really screw up your travel plans). The staff here was wonderful in changing our reservation. They were willing to reacommodate us for any length of time so we could enjoy our full vacation. They even arranged to get us a new award certificate (we ended up losing a days vacation so we needed a different cert).

As a Marriott Plat, they upgraded us to an oceanfront room, even though it was high season. We didn't get breakfast certs, as is usual at a resort, but I bet if we'd pushed for them, they might have acommodated us.

Hotel felt very laid back. Never felt crowded. Staff was not pushy.

They had a Pirates Feast buffet and show that was their big entertainment evening.

Several fun local restaurants within walking distance.

Grand Cayman prices run about 25% more than US prices as a rule. Cabs from the airport are very expensive.

The island is small and can be seen in a day. We enjoyed the Turtle Farm, Hell, Pedro StJames House, Stingray Brewery and snorkeling with the sting rays (very safe; shallow,clear water). Shopping in Georgetown is similar to shopping in most other Caribbean ports. A new Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville is opening within the next week or two and should be a blast, if that's your sort of thing (I loved the Margaritavilles in Las Vegas and Montego Bay!).

Just FYI, I was on Grand Cayman two weeks ago. I didn't stay at the Marriott but we passed it and it appears fully recovered from Hurricane Ivan. While most of the island has bounced back, there is still some residual damage you will see. This island was literally decimated two years ago so it was a surprise to see how good it looked. But if you look hard, you can still see places on the island that were affected. And MANY beautiful waterfront homes for sale.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum, Avis First
I stay at this Marriott earlier this year and it was the worst Marriott Resort that I have visited, spend the extra points and stay at the Ritz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.