Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2004, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
We go there at least once a year. Hate the Marriott, love the Hyatt and Westin. Thought we'd give the CY a whirl this year. Hopefully the Marriott was damaged enough that they'll really renovate it, and maybe they got some extra beach (at least enough sand to cover the rocks).
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by bonzaiflyer
We go there at least once a year. Hate the Marriott, love the Hyatt and Westin. Thought we'd give the CY a whirl this year. Hopefully the Marriott was damaged enough that they'll really renovate it, and maybe they got some extra beach (at least enough sand to cover the rocks).

In order to get some beach they would need to knock down the whole resort and move it back 200 feet.

With the storm damage I would push to have the insurance company write it off. tear it down and re-build.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:03 am

My understanding is that the Marriott Grand Cayman was up for sale before the hurricane anyway.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Boycotting the Caymans

I used to go to the Caymans frequently and stayed at the Hyatt. I went mainly for the scuba diving, the beach and an escape from the winter cold.

Several years ago, the Cayman government did not let a cruise ship dock. The ship was filled mainly with Gays and Lesbians. The Cayman government is entitled to permit into their country whoever they like. And it is my choice to boycott a country that is so openly homophobic. There are lots of other Caribbean countries which welcome my Gay Dollars.

Although I realize my reply may not alter those who are debating between CI and MR, I, at least, want to point out what kind of reception any GLBT readers might expect in the Caymans.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:38 pm

Stayed at this hotel earlier in the year. It is a very new and modern property. Check out my photo review at HotelScoop to get a good idea of what you can expect: http://www.hotelscoop.com/hotelDetai...p?Hotelid=6605

The hotel has all of the basics and in general is quite well appointed for a Courtyard. It has a nice pool area as well. It is not on the beach side of the main road and also is a but north of the main downtown and resort area. In general, if you're not a hotel aficionado and don't plan to spend a lot of time at the hotel, this is a great and cost effective place to stay. If you prefer to not ever leave the hotel grounds, then I would go elsewhere.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Courtyard Grand Cayman

Anyone have any information on this property? We wanted to stay at the Marriott when we go in Feb., but when we booked it was closed and not expected to open. Given the far fewer points it seems like a good value. Is it?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by hnewman; Oct 8, 2005 at 6:51 am
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:08 am

I didn't stay there (we were at the Marriott) but several people did for my cousin's wedding last year (pre-hurricane). They said it was clean, and fairly new, but that it wasn't "special". It is across the street from the beach. It does seem like it would be a good value.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:16 pm

We stayed there last January. Hotel had recently converted to a CY from a Holiday Inn and was not yet up to what you expect in US CYs as far as service, cleanliness, etc. Bear in mind they had just survived a very strong hurricane so I was just happy to have a comfortable place to stay. Great access to a beautiful beach and water sports rentals. Nice oceanside cafe/bar. Beware of cruise ship crowds at the beach. It can get crowded.

The hotel was spared major damage during the '04 hurricane along with that end of the island. Unfortunately the other end of the island was pretty well destroyed by the hurricane. The CY is isolated and not walking distance from town and major hotels/resturants. It's at ~mile 5 of 7 mile beach. Rental car was pretty cheap and recommended.

For an oceanfront hotel (well... across the street, unobstructed access) on a Carribean island, we thought it was a bargain and will go again when we save up the miles and points.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Grand Cayman Marriott Not worth visiting!

Here is what I sent to Marriott and the worthless response. Be warned do not stay at this hotel.

subject:Grand Cayman Marriot Resort

My wife and I just came back from the hotel yesterday staying from 2/16-23. This by far is the worst Marriott hotel I have ever stayed in. Thought we were staying on Marriott Points these points were earned by a large number of nights traveling. Here is a list of things that were wrong.

1. No Platinum Acknowledgement upon checking
2. No Platinum arrival gift (no I did not call as I was on vacation and not going to waste my time talking to someone)
3. On the 2nd night we order food at the Lobby Bar. Wendy the waitress failed on:
a. Bringing my wife’s drink. Not remembering
b. Bringing the wrong drink on the second order
c. Bringing cool fried calamari as she was taking to the bar tender
d. Messing up the bill three times
4. Going to the beach any day after 12:00 was not fun as there were neither chairs nor umbrellas. If you tipped you might get one something in 20 minutes
5. If you go to the beach at 7AM you can get a both chairs and umbrellas
6. Wednesday our rooms were not cleaned until 16:30 waking us from a nap.

To top this all of at check was I asked how my stay was. No.

We have stayed both at St. Kitts and Aruba and hotels all over the world. This by far is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in the world in terms of the expected service one should expect. This is not a Fairfield and I have been treated far better at most. I would not recommend it to anyone and I am tempted to post something to the Marriott Flyer Talk list. We are sorry we wasted our points on this hotel. Very sorry.

Dear Mr. Newman,

I would like to extend to you my most sincere apology for the unfortunate events that you encountered whilst visiting with us here at the Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort. This is certainly not the standard of service that we strive to uphold, as well as upon which we pride ourselves. I greatly regret that it was not communicated during your stay here with us just how much we do value and appreciate our platinum card members. I hope that you give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future. Your loyalty to Marriott is very important, and therefore I would like to provide you with a complimentary upgrade with any future stay with us.

I would also like to thank you for informing us of these situations. In communicating your dissatisfaction, and highlighting to us problematic areas, it facilitates constant improvement. We very much appreciate receiving feedback from our valued customers.

We hope that you will return to Grand Cayman, and that we may still be your hotel of choice. It would be our privilege to get to serve you again, as well as rectify this situation. I ask that in the event that you do return, please contact me personally to make reservations. I promise you that I will ensure that you leave very satisfied!

Sincerely,

Laura Howard
Executive Assistant
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I stay at Marriott properties almost exclusively and with regard ot this property I can't agree with you more. When in Cayman I always stay at the Westin, about the onlyplace I do.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
4 years ago I cashed in a cert for this property and had a great room overlooking the pool and the ocean.

People got up at 5:30am to claim chairs and recliners around the pool.

We started to claim chairs before we went to bed.

I remember going down to look at the beach and saying "Um...isnt there supposed to be a beach here".

Some storm or storms over time had erroded the entire beach area at this property. The website did not make mention of this.

The hotel was running a shuttle over to the Holiday Inn so we could use the beach there.

Here's the thing.

With the USD not holding up why would anyone go to the Cayman Islands anyway.

The island is overrun with snobby Brittish tourists.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rebadc
Here's the thing.

With the USD not holding up why would anyone go to the Cayman Islands anyway.

The island is overrun with snobby Brittish tourists.
Is it not longer a fixed 80% exchange rate?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Nothing has changed, it is still a fixed exchange rate. Cayman dollar is fixed to the USD at $1.25 USD per GCM dollar.

Cayman and other countries tied tothe US dollar aside, the exchange rate in general has improve greatly in the past 15 months from a low of $1.35 USD/Euro in Nov 2004 to 1.18/Euro now. I know because I was in Germany skiing in Nov 2004 at the peak of the worst exchange rate. I would have saved a few hundred dollars on that trip if it were 1.18/Euro.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I stay at Marriott properties almost exclusively and with regard ot this property I can't agree with you more. When in Cayman I always stay at the Westin, about the onlyplace I do.
Agreed, the Westin is a far better property down there.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
While I found your complaints to be something to discuss, I don't thing they are reasons to boycott this hotel. I have never stayed at this particular hotel, but I can tell you that stuff happens and not every stay is perfect.

How important is the plantium gift or recogition at checkin?. Sure you expect it but does it really make a difference in a weeklong stay?

Wendy fails her job 4 times at one F&B experience during a weeklong stay.

Chairs and umbrellas are hogged by the early birds. This is pretty common at many resorts within and outside of Marriott.

One day out of seven, your room wasn't cleaned by 4:30pm and you got woke up from your nap.

Lastly, you were not asked how your stay was at check out.

Listening to your complaints, I think your reasons for "not visiting" are minor.

I wish that most of my weeklong visits to the Carribbean would go that smoothly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.